New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Partof1 View Post
    I just encountered Vigilants of Stendarr. They claim to hunt Daedra and their worshippers. Would dealing with them somehow help me find Daedric artifiacts? Like, I agree to go kill some cultists, but start becoming buds with them, or am i straight up crazy?
    As far as I know they aren't really anything more than some random dudes you run into on the road.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    As far as I know they aren't really anything more than some random dudes you run into on the road.
    And nor do they care when you walk up to them with several Daedric artifacts and a pair of summoned dremora.
    Thanks to Skeppio for my avatar.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Level8Mudcrab View Post
    And nor do they care when you walk up to them with several Daedric artifacts and a pair of summoned dremora.
    A thing that irritates me more is the lack of reaction from Mjoll if you bring her to the Ragged Flagon...
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm playing a high elf destruction mage and it is so much fun. I can burn through my mana bar with three dual cast fireballs, but if anything survives that I generally need to use my highborn power/shouts anyway.

If anything survives that, well...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wabbajack Wabbajack Wabbajack Wabbajack Wabbajack Wabbajack

I've heard that destruction is underpowered, but I've only really seen this while I'm facing other mages, because they can set up wards faster than I can fireball them.

One problem I'm having though, if I don't save constantly my followers are likely to throw themselves within the blast radius of my fireballs or my chain lightning will jump to them, and they'll die. Unfortunately they're way too valuable as pack mules to leave behind. Suggestions?
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    If anything survives that, well...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wabbajack Wabbajack Wabbajack Wabbajack Wabbajack Wabbajack

One problem I'm having though, if I don't save constantly my followers are likely to throw themselves within the blast radius of my fireballs or my chain lightning will jump to them, and they'll die. Unfortunately they're way too valuable as pack mules to leave behind. Suggestions?
    Ooh I forgot about that. Must start that quest as soon as I get home.

also... Pick a follower that prefer ranged attacks.

Edit: Am I the only one bothered with that you are almost required not to stay in character? What I mean is that you are almost roped into becoming the guild leader of at least 2 guilds (Thieves and especially the Mage College. In fact, is it possible to enter the mage college and not be automatically assumed to be a student?). The Fighters are easier to avoid, but on the other hand the concept of becoming...
    Spoiler
    Show
    a werewolf is so good, if just because you get the immunity to diseases

...that you are drawn to join anyway.

My present character, the thief/mage is guild leader of all except the dark brotherhood. I am thinking of next time pick a character that would only join two out of 3 factions or less.

"Pure" fighter
    Figher / Mage
    Fighter / Thief
    or
    Mage / Thief (in contrast to my Thief / Mage. The difference is basically what you put your emphasis in when playing.

Also I think because of this the staff mentioned above is not in character for my current playthrough, so I will just get it and put it in my wardrobe I think.

(Although it would be amusing to give it to a companion (not a Companion) that can use magic, since it will never need to be recharged if used then!)
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-01-23 at 07:54 AM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Give them some enchanted armour with appropriate resistances, I guess. Haven't played mages so I don't know how effective that might be.
    Truth resists simplicity.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Get a dunmer follower and give them 50% resist fire gear. They'll be immune to fire damage. There is a dunmer girl at the college who has a bow (she'll use that over melee) and makes a decent companion.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Get a dunmer follower and give them 50% resist fire gear. They'll be immune to fire damage. There is a dunmer girl at the college who has a bow (she'll use that over melee) and makes a decent companion.
    Can you marry her?

Also... I have decided to kill Big P in this playthrough, because my character is not a Nord and more likely to feel loyalty to the Blades.

Now for the next playthrough... I know, I have several hours to go (in fact, I almost exclusively done quests originating in Witherun and Riften. This means I have a TON of quests left. I am already lvl 46...

Anyway... character concepts:

Totally nutty (CHAOTIC / good-ish (perfect for the specific staff mentioned above)), probably female but female what? I want to go against stereotypes, and a large part of me wants to do another orc... on the other hand a Nord or Imperial is also very much against typecasting.

Btw I am not the only one that thinks the low level armors looks much better than the high level ones (according to several forums). I LOVE the leather armor, really like the Hide and Iron armors, thinks steel and steel plate looks really good... Elvish looks decent but the rest... Glass, Daedra and Dragon based armors are HIDEOUS and clashes against everything (style wise). Ebony Armor is... almost acceptable, but still clashes against the Skyrim theme.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Btw I am not the only one that thinks the low level armors looks much better than the high level ones (according to several forums). I LOVE the leather armor, really like the Hide and Iron armors, thinks steel and steel plate looks really good... Elvish looks decent but the rest... Glass, Daedra and Dragon based armors are HIDEOUS and clashes against everything (style wise). Ebony Armor is... almost acceptable, but still clashes against the Skyrim theme.
    Hell no you're not alone there. The low-level armours are definitely the better looking ones. The Forsworn stuff is great too. The high-level armours look somehow out of place in the setting. Too flashy. A bit too form-over-function.

That said, I think Ebony armour looks alright, although ebony weapons look pretty ridiculous. Nightingale and Shrouded are good too, if you're going for the leather-clad fantasy ninja look.
    Truth resists simplicity.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    Hell no you're not alone there. The low-level armours are definitely the better looking ones. The Forsworn stuff is great too. The high-level armours look somehow out of place in the setting. Too flashy. A bit too form-over-function.

That said, I think Ebony armour looks alright, although ebony weapons look pretty ridiculous. Nightingale and Shrouded are good too, if you're going for the leather-clad fantasy ninja look.
    So then. Give me a mod that changes the design of the others! NOW!

Speaking of mods, as anyone tried War in Skyrim? Seems to add too much and especially way too many werewolves and vampire encounters. I have not tried it out.
    Also, would anyone be interested in a list of mods being used by me or others that mod their games?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you marry her?

Yes you can marry her. My mage did.

Actually it makes sense that they don't really match the Skyrim aesthetic. They are foreign forms of armor. Only your basic ones would match the Nordic styles. Daedric in particular isn't even a form of armor made by mortal hands. It matches the aesthetic of daedric prince Mehrunes Dagon.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Yes you can marry her. My mage did.

Actually it makes sense that they don't really match the Skyrim aesthetic. They are foreign forms of armor. Only your basic ones would match the Nordic styles. Daedric in particular isn't even a form of armor made by mortal hands. It matches the aesthetic of daedric prince Mehrunes Dagon.
    Good; I wonder if I should do that next playthrough. She is a bit of a ditz, which is the opposite of Mjoll, I think.

Edit: and yes, I know; it makes sense lore wise, but it sucks from an aesthetic point of view.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-01-23 at 09:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Also, would anyone be interested in a list of mods being used by me or others that mod their games?
    I mod too. I'd be interested in a list, and I'll provide a list of what I use when I get home this afternoon and can check. I know I use Thu'uMic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

So then. Give me a mod that changes the design of the others! NOW!

Speaking of mods, as anyone tried War in Skyrim? Seems to add too much and especially way too many werewolves and vampire encounters. I have not tried it out.
    Dwarven armour and weapons are awesome.

And with the proper perks, and abilities, then that's all you need for heavy armour.
    Last edited by druid91; 2012-01-23 at 09:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Colossus in the Playground

What I mean is that you are almost roped into becoming the guild leader of at least 2 guilds (Thieves and especially the Mage College. In fact, is it possible to enter the mage college and not be automatically assumed to be a student?).
    Why would you want to become the leader of the Thieves Guild as a mage? Simply going partways through the Mages Guild questline (to get Morokei) and then either buying a set of Adept/Expert/Master robes or finishing the Mages Guild quests has you set with +200% to magicka regeneration, plus way more if you have the potions for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Another question:

I'm intrigued by Skyrim, but don't really want to pay 50€ on the risk of not really liking it. But since I'd be playing on PS3 and never bother even with free for first time buyers DLCs, are there any reasons not to get a used copy on ebay?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would you want to become the leader of the Thieves Guild as a mage? Simply going partways through the Mages Guild questline (to get Morokei) and then either buying a set of Adept/Expert/Master robes or finishing the Mages Guild quests has you set with +200% to magicka regeneration, plus way more if you have the potions for it.
    Your question is the same as I just asked. It's "bad roleplaying". On the other hand, because of that factor, I would not leave a quest partially undone if it's as important as the Mage College questline. The implication is that if you don't do it, the world will be unmade. This means that if you start it, you better finish it.

Edit:
    Mod list
    • 1st Person View Glass Armor Fix
    • A Quality Wold Map With Roads
    • AOF Believable Hair
    • Better Beast Races v2
    • Better Fitting Glass Helmet
    • Better Looking Ebony Helmet
    • Detailed Faces v2
    • Detailed Lips
    • Enhanced Blood Textures
    • Follower Tweaks (proper level up)
    • HD High Resolution Armors
    • High Quality Eyes
    • High Resolution Scares
    • Improved NPC Clothing - HiRes
    • Less Touchy Lockpicking Lite
    • No More Blocky Faces
    • No Respawn
    • Nude Females
    • Proper Length Arrows
    • Skyrim HD
    • SkyUI
    • TESV Acceleration Layer
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-01-23 at 01:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

My Mods:
    2084 High Resolution Fantasy Dragons
    Quality World Map With Roads
    Dovahkiin Hideout
    No Perk Prerequesites (except Smithing)
    Realistic Running Speed
    SkyBoost
    Vurt's Flora Overhaul
    Skyrim HD Lite
    SkyUI
    New Glass Weapons And Armor Color (Blue)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

More mods - From tonight I am also using:
    • Realistic Lighting Without Post-processing + custom FXAA file
    • Sounds Of Nature - Fire
    • Sounds Of Nature - Water

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Another question:

I'm intrigued by Skyrim, but don't really want to pay 50€ on the risk of not really liking it. But since I'd be playing on PS3 and never bother even with free for first time buyers DLCs, are there any reasons not to get a used copy on ebay?
    If you're just playing it on a console then I don't see any reason not to get a used copy (beyond the usual risks of scratched or damaged disks or the seller being a con-man). On PC, though, it's a different story since the game uses Steam even if you buy it over the counter so I don't think it's even possible to sell a used copy of the PC version (not without negotiating with the seller and hoping that Steam supports transferring a game from one account to another).
    Last edited by ShadowFighter15; 2012-01-23 at 08:11 PM.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

21. - Top - End - #291

I should warn you that I've heard the PS3 version has bugs that cause the game to lag after you've played for a long time, though I believe this may be fixed when the next patch comes out (which should hopefully be within the next week).

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    It was the 15x dagger perk, 4x DB gloves to 60x, turn on Orc racial for 120x and use 2 to put you at 240x.
    What is you character name? Therkla?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hand of Vecna View Post
    I got Skyrim for PC for X-Mas... and can't get it to work on my comp. It runs unplayably slow, takes minutes for the game to start up.
    Yeah, if you're a gamer on a budget, you REALLY need to understand the anatomy of a computer, and where your performance needs lie. Most consumer-grade computers are badly engineered, overpriced junk, using factory-second server components rather than something designed to run games well. What you've got there is a computer that, while sounding pretty good on paper, probably will lose to an XBox in a straight fight.

If you buy wisely, on the other hand, you can make a pretty good gaming system without spending a gigantic sum of money, especially if you're willing to put in some work assembling it yourself. I find sites like anandtech.com and tomshardware.com to be invaluable for this purpose. Tom's regularly does system builder guides, and both sites do performance benchmarks for components. Anand is particularly good for breaking down the nitty-gritty details on what makes a particular component work better in your system.

For a quick breakdown on what's important for a gaming system:

1) Video. At least half your PC budget should go here, and if you can't afford to spend at least $200 here, save yourself some grief and buy an XBox. Avoid multi-GPU solutions like SLI/Xfire unless you're a terminal geek and actually enjoy debugging weird driver issues and reading tech forums.
    2) CPU. Clock rate is the God of gaming performance. Games are still single-threaded, so multi-core CPUs can be nice for other applications (like browsing the web, or running a chat client, steam, etc., in the background) but are useless when it comes to straight-up gaming performance.
    3) RAM. Get enough to run your OS and your game, but bear in mind, your 32 bit game can't address more than 3.42 GB of RAM. So the most I'd recommend any gamer buy in a gaming system right now is 6 GB for a 64b system.
    4) Disk. Don't get distracted with RAID, SSD or anything else unless you have some expendable income and you've already taken care of business on 1,2, & 3. Disk helps with your load time, but if you've got enough RAM to get the job done, does NOTHING for in-game performance.

Some other tips: Don't scrimp on your case and cooling if you're building your own. It won't have a direct effect on your performance, but MAN, taking apart a system with a crummy case is a huge pain, and with a good case and cooling, your system will be far less likely to have the dreaded sudden mysterious failure to boot. Plus, a good case can last many times the lifetime of the components inside it. Also, when you plan how much you're spending on your gear, think of how much you're spending, and how long you expect it to last you. When you buy that $180 video card, will you be replacing it a year from now? How does that really stack up against a $300 card which would last you 3 years? Finally, if you do have the resources for it and want to get a screaming system, think twice before you unload the wallet bomb. I know people who have spent thousands on bleeding edge gaming rigs which, while they might perform immeasurably better than mine, they come with a lot of headaches, to say nothing of worthless flash like case lights and other stuff that just pads out the price and doesn't do jack for your performance. If you spent more than $2000 for your system (excluding monitor), you got ripped off.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you wonder that Skyrim is videogame equivalent to OOTS Strip 825-827 since it's wham episodes?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bad Guys winning (Redcloak and Thalmor) -check
    Probability of Hinjo and the emperor being assasinated- check
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

If you're on PC, the only way to move it is to have the original receipt. So if you're on PC, the best option is to buy a digital copy, or new one.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Can anyone help me with this frustrating bug? Basically, just before I went into a shop in the middle of the night and stole everything that wasn't bolted down or on fire, I ordered my companion to wait outside, because I was worried they were make too much noise. However, due to some other odd glitch, they followed me into the building. When I try going outside they stay inside, and when I try to talk to them to get them to follow me they just say "You're not supposed to be here". Anyone know a solution besides killing my companion, looting him of anything valuable, and getting a new one?
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

27. - Top - End - #297
    Colossus in the Playground

Your question is the same as I just asked.
    What? No, I mean, I'm playing a mage, and I am not compelled in the slightest to become the leader of the Thieves Guild, because I am already incredibly effective. Do they offer rewards I should know about, that will make me even more of a demigod than I already am?
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-01-23 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

What? No, I mean, I'm playing a mage, and I am not compelled in the slightest to become the leader of the Thieves Guild, because I am already incredibly effective. Do they offer rewards I should know about, that will make me even more of a demigod than I already am?
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's an unbreakable lockpick, but it requires you do not finish a quest.

The alternative is an armour that makes thieves to pay you tribute, and lots of gold (which you probably don't need), oh and one of the three somewhat useless and replaceable by illusion spells abilities of nocturnal.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

For someone that is absolutely not a thief, the only thing in there is one of the best bows, one of the best swords, and above all the access to Fences.

Edit: So much for killing Big P... I finished the main quest yesterday without doing it, so... No.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-01-23 at 11:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300

I find the sword kinda meh, but that's because I got it early on, so the enchantment is weaksauce. The bow is pretty formidable, though.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.