New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony 42: Life, the Universe and Ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Problem with that theory: when they needed the Elements, they still had to go and get them. Yes, the relevant ponies were already in Canterlot, but it should have been feasible to get five of the six to wear their regalia under their bridesmaid dresses. And yet there's no indication that was even considered. (Also, I tend to suspect Celestia wasn't thinking all that straight anyway when she said to get the Elements, on account of "that chamber is protected by a powerful spell that only I can break," last we heard.)

Also of note: AJ and Fluttershy aren't the only ones reprising their SSC roles. Rarity is decorating again, just a different set of things; Rainbow Dash's tasks on both occasions can be summarized as "atmospheric effects"; and Twilight was in a supervisory role. Only Pinkie, who had no official role last time, can't easily be slotted in.
    Ah, but the summer sun celebration was a formalized yearly event, whereas the wedding required a party afterwards. Also, although Pinkie's initial party planning did appear to match a 6 year old's birthday, the actual party shown at the end looked pretty good, included Luna completely rocking out, and had DJ PON3 assisting with music. Seems like Pinkie is pretty good at party planning to me.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Ah, but the summer sun celebration was a formalized yearly event, whereas the wedding required a party afterwards. Also, although Pinkie's initial party planning did appear to match a 6 year old's birthday, the actual party shown at the end looked pretty good, included Luna completely rocking out, and had DJ PON3 assisting with music. Seems like Pinkie is pretty good at party planning to me.
    It's also possible that this time Cadence actually worked with Pinkie to figure out the best way to throw the party, instead of just letting Pinkie do her thing and complaining.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Man Gummy's got that game in the bag with his poker face...
    Look at those eyes, he's staring at the cards of the two players on either side of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    So, ponythread. Anyone up for a thought experiment? Literally, it's an experiment that requires thought, and an experiment with thoughts.

As you know, we had a pause in the pony schedule the Saturday preceding the finale, so that we could have the finale aired together. This, naturally, removed a lot of the tension and anxiety that would appear. My question, and request, is then thus.

Can you, momentarily, try to forget the second half of the finale? Forget it has aired, pretend you have not seen it yet. The last scene you have seen of the show as of now is when a suddenly actually-evil Cadance engulfs Twilight in green fire and diffuses her into the floor.

Can you come up with what your thoughts would be right now, if the show had left you with that cliffhanger for a week? What theories would spring up, what guesses as to the actual events that would follow would you now have? Try to imagine.
    I'm sure there'd be some critiquing of the first half, particularly how diabeetus it was with BBBFF and "Sunshine sunshine ladybugs awake"

I'm pretty sure the majority would agree Cadence is an impostor, although some might say she's just turned evil in the intervening time. However the clues about the secret handshake were there.

I think the prevailing theories on who she actually was would be Discord or Trixie in disguise, simply because we were going on what we've already seen, and those seemed to be popular choices.

There'd be a debate as to whether Twi was dead, banished or just teleported somewhere. I'm sure someone would have rewatched the scene and picked up on the "sinking into the floor" thing, so the dead part would be tossed out fairly quickly.

Motivation would be an interesting thing, I think we'd probably have guessed she's trying to pull something, but what? Take over the kingdom on your own would be challenge, since Cadence doesn't rule Equestria. So that means taking down Celestia somehow, and there'd be plenty of speculation about that. Poison in the Cake for instance, or maybe just smacking her on the head while her back was turned.

I'd like to think we'd twig to the potential for an invasion given the threat and the barrier shield, but to be honest that may have stayed as an outstanding line of inquiry by the time the next ep aired. Pretty sure none of us would have gotten to changelings, that blindsided everyone I think. (Except those who saw the teaser clips, but that would have been spoilers!)

Dash x Shipping?

Do I really need to link that fic again?
    Only if you want to break my mind ... again!

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I see Celestia's hoof in all of this, given that she is the one who made the offer in a personal letter. I'm sure she suggested it to the couple and Chrysalis didn't care while Shining thought it a great idea.

Would there be better ponies available... possibly.

Would those other ponies also grant the bonus of having the EoH on hand when Canterlot is being threatened... nope.

Remember the shield was already up when the specific invitation was sent. I say Celestia played the Chessmistress masterfully.
    This makes a disturbing amount of sense.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D_Lord View Post
    I think I'll just stand in this Pi = 3 zone, until this blows over. Discord best Villain in Ponyvile, for this thread, Aotrs . But I think I'm better in force. Space forces, armys and rockets can't do much when space and time burn around you.

Have you ever seen space and time, get twisted and bent so much that the friction of them rubbing lights it a flame. it's petty.

Ponys Rock!!

You know, textual raves aren't good for reading, I don't know what you say now.

Or is this just another attempt at playing that Disney game my sister used to play on the wii until it exploded

...Or it's just the game after it did?

@Anarion you didn't find my post anwering how I found this place or you just stoped talking to me cuz of me?
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-04-25 at 07:22 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    I'm sure there'd be some critiquing of the first half, particularly how diabeetus it was with BBBFF and "Sunshine sunshine ladybugs awake"
    You mean the new brony to brony greeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post

@Anarion you didn't find my post anwering how I found this place or you just stoped talking to me cuz of me?
    I'll take one out of Lix's book and go with
    *huggles*

Your answer was short though and I didn't really have anything else to say. I'm glad you're interested in posting here and not hating even though the show doesn't seem to hold any interest for you.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Barbarian in the Playground

Your answer was short though and I didn't really have anything else to say. I'm glad you're interested in posting here and not hating even though the show doesn't seem to hold any interest for you.
    Oh ok
    I kinda have an interest, part to know why everyone else is so much into it, part to see if I'm gonna like it since everyone tells me it's good, Still haven't found out myself though.
    Also not everyone plays Roleplaying games just for the roleplay, there's diferent kinds, now my kind is pretty obvious though
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Oh ok
    I kinda have an interest, part to know why everyone else is so much into it, part to see if I'm gonna like it since everyone tells me it's good, Still haven't found out myself though.
    Also not everyone plays Roleplaying games just for the roleplay, there's diferent kinds, now my kind is pretty obvious though
    Well, since you're sticking with it, you should definitely give the season 1 opener a watch and then go try a couple random episodes and see if there's any appeal. Try Fall Weather Friends. It's got some action in it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Bugbear in the Playground

re-imagining time!

Game of Ponies! (not really)

presenting Lady Twilight of House Sparkle, Apprentice to her Eternal Majesty Celestia, Princess Supreme of House Equestria. On a most holy Quest for the knowledge of Ancient mysterious deep Friendship Magic.

her unlikely companions:

Lady Rarity of merchant house Belle of Ponyville.
    Peasant Applejack of Apple clan.
    Cake Apprentice Pinkie Pie
    Hermit Fluttershy of Everfree
    Rainbow, Disowned scion of House Dash, renowned Military Clan of Cloudsdale.

Season one is about the return of Princess Luna, Nightmare of Darkness, Who contends for the ruling throne of House Equestria. Complicated by Celestia being missing, Equistria faces division as political conflicts within noble houses threaten to tear pony world apart.

Season two; After the reunification of divided Equestria and the reconciliation of the Royal Ruling Sisters, A new threat arises as an army of Chaos assaults Equestria. Can the newly established Order of Harmony rise to the challenge? Will Lady Twilight and companions able to withstand internal strife instigated by the sinister beast, Discord, Lord of Chaos.

Season Three: A reprieve after the union of House Sparkle young lord Shining Armor with Princess Cadance of House Mi Amore. The Combined might of their houses were able to drive back the insidious infiltration of army of Changeling Queen Chrysalis at the end of last season. The Order of harmony has to deal with worrisome tiding that the shattered Army of Chaos might be on the rise again.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Actually I am warming to the idea of having the solar princesses fix a major problem when the mane 6 cannot. Swatting the Ursa Major would be a good example.

An episode full of trying to find different approaches to get rid of it, and then the two of them smacking it around would be fun to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I am warming to the idea of having the solar princesses fix a major problem when the mane 6 cannot. Swatting the Ursa Major would be a good example.

An episode full of trying to find different approaches to get rid of it, and then the two of them smacking it around would be fun to watch.
    Okay, let's try to make this work. The issue I see with the premise as you present it is that the lesson comes off as "don't worry if you can't solve your problems, someone will just step in and solve them for you." That's not a good lesson.

But, we could switch this around. What if it occurred to Twilight early on that she could call Celestia for help, but wanted to show her independence and organized the mane 6 to try and solve the problem instead? They do everything they can, but ultimately have to give up and call Celestia and Luna for aid. The lesson could be "don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it."

Instant edit: and to distinguish that from Applebuck season, this would not be about asking friends for help, but asking authority figures for help and I think that difference could be called out.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-04-25 at 08:22 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay, let's try to make this work. The issue I see with the premise as you present it is that the lesson comes off as "don't worry if you can't solve your problems, someone will just step in and solve them for you." That's not a good lesson.

But, we could switch this around. What if it occurred to Twilight early on that she could call Celestia for help, but wanted to show her independence and organized the mane 6 to try and solve the problem instead? They do everything they can, but ultimately have to give up and call Celestia and Luna for aid. The lesson could be "don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it."

Instant edit: and to distinguish that from Applebuck season, this would not be about asking friends for help, but asking authority figures for help and I think that difference could be called out.
    That does sound better. Especially if we use Spike as the voice of reason (we should tell Celestia about this!)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #1272

Cyberpunk ponies!

Celestial Corporation controls the life giving energy flow to the Tech city-state of Equestria and manages the Pony Grid network control system. Young VP Twilight Sparkle Learns of possible cyber threat of Nightmare virus, created by some shadowy figure code named "Moon" And sets out to find/create the H.A.R.M.O.N.Y. program project, as the only known cure to rid of this threat to the Pony Grid.

Rarity, Belle company president, Managers of vast of corporate P.R. and Pony Grid presence, innovator of several Pony Grid sites and virtual realestate.

Applejack, young CEO of Apple inc. an small honest food import/export company. located in Ponyville district, very little presence in Pony Grid. But a hardworking and level headed genius coder.

Pinkie Pie, Legendary cracker. Able to traverse the Pony Grid like the back of her hoof.

Fluttershy, young Cyber-implant Medical practitioner? secretly famous Whitewing security expert, Hired to cleans many systems of malicious programs. Creater of Stare.exe leading system virus protection program on pony grid.

R. Dash, Fastest hacker, maybe only surpassed by Pinkie Pie. But, while Pinkie could get pass many tings, if you need it fast? There's only Dash.
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-04-25 at 08:36 PM.
    -Mako Mankanshoku

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

So, a quick thought. I've been reposting some of my fics over on FIMfiction. I'm in the midst of doing Semper Fidelis.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/22677/Semper-Fidelis

... where was all this love and goodwill for the story the first time around?
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Can you, momentarily, try to forget the second half of the finale? Forget it has aired, pretend you have not seen it yet. The last scene you have seen of the show as of now is when a suddenly actually-evil Cadance engulfs Twilight in green fire and diffuses her into the floor.

Can you come up with what your thoughts would be right now, if the show had left you with that cliffhanger for a week? What theories would spring up, what guesses as to the actual events that would follow would you now have? Try to imagine.
    That's pretty easy for me. The stream I was watching decided to break apart about 20 minutes into the first episode, and I didn't even know there would be a second one afterwards. I had to go to work anyways, and so didn't even know there were two episodes until I sat down and watched them on Monday.

My first assumption was that Candance was possessed, rather than kidnapped by the pod queen.

The second was that she was after Shining Armor and that he would be kidnapped in the final episode, with Season 3 would focus on everyone trying to find where they took him (in addition to their daily lives).

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Watched 25-26 again and found one thing I didn't liked in hindsight:

Spoiler
    Show
    Why exactly Mane 6 were asked to do anything? I liked Best Night Ever in that it shown the Mane 6 aren't Mary Sues and are way out of their league with veteran professionals - cooks, designers, musicians, etc. Why then they were asked to do anything for very important wedding? Trollestia wanted to crash third party in Canterlot in a row?

I mean, AJ was established as good, but very down to earth cook, hating fancy foods. Why not ask the Cakes to make cake? Or Donut Joe? Gustave, even? They just won very big awards, AJ didn't even qualified for that competition. Why ask quiet, easily scared birds to provide music? They would be barely audible, plus, fans would love them some Octavia and Co. Fluttershy apparently can't even pick good birds for the occasion. Same with Pinkie - "Cadence" had a point it would be great birthday party for a foal, but wouldn't exactly fit a wedding.
    Actually, thinking it over, that is a very good point.

I wouldn't agree with it 100% - I mean, Fluttershy's birds were good enough to introduce Celestia during the Summer Sun Celebration, which I presume to be a fairly major event. Rarity as a dressmaker still makes sense. Applejack and Pinkie Pie still seem like unusual choices, unless Celestia is intentionally sticking it to the more snobbish elites - given ponies like Blueblood and Upper Crust, though, perhaps that is exactly what she is doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

15. - Top - End - #1275

So, a quick thought. I've been reposting some of my fics over on FIMfiction. I'm in the midst of doing Semper Fidelis.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/22677/Semper-Fidelis

... where was all this love and goodwill for the story the first time around?
    It was always there, you just fell prey to the rabbles of a small amount of malcontents. I am glad you find out that there are vast amounts of love thrown your way.

edit: in a way, it was very much like the whole Derpygate fiasco
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-04-25 at 08:47 PM.
    -Mako Mankanshoku

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Watched 25-26 again and found one thing I didn't liked in hindsight:

Spoiler
    Show
    Why exactly Mane 6 were asked to do anything? I liked Best Night Ever in that it shown the Mane 6 aren't Mary Sues and are way out of their league with veteran professionals - cooks, designers, musicians, etc. Why then they were asked to do anything for very important wedding? Trollestia wanted to crash third party in Canterlot in a row?

I mean, AJ was established as good, but very down to earth cook, hating fancy foods. Why not ask the Cakes to make cake? Or Donut Joe? Gustave, even? They just won very big awards, AJ didn't even qualified for that competition. Why ask quiet, easily scared birds to provide music? They would be barely audible, plus, fans would love them some Octavia and Co. Fluttershy apparently can't even pick good birds for the occasion. Same with Pinkie - "Cadence" had a point it would be great birthday party for a foal, but wouldn't exactly fit a wedding.

The only way I can make sense out of this, is that Shining Armor asked for them specifically, but seeing Twilight didn't bothered to tell the girls about her brother, her saying anything to Armor when she stated she stopped seeing him is rather improbable. So, was it Trollestia? I don't know, it feels very... fanfic-ey in hindsight.

Oh, and interesting pic:

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe next title should really be some fanon crushing

Also, page 42, and no one posted any thanks or fishes. Ponies, I'm disappoint :P
    I think it had a couple contributing factors:

Spoiler
    Show
    1) It was Twilight's Brother getting married and the mane 6 were her best friends.
    2) Threat against capital. Elements of Harmony need the mane 6 to work as the failsafe (Which turned out wasn't very failsafe, but there was no way of knowing that.)

I'm sure there is another reason, but these seem perfectly legit. Especially since most of the mane 6 did indeed have something spectacular, or was very good at the skills they were chosen for.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    It was always there, you just fell prey to the rabbles of a small amount of malcontents. I am glad you find out that there are vast amounts of love thrown your way.

edit: in a way, it was very much like the whole Derpygate fiasco
    I suppose. Having to go through it again, even I don't think it's very good anymore, but pretty much anything I write has about a three month window where I actually think it's anything worthwhile.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2012-04-25 at 08:56 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

you know you now have to post a video of yourself greeting someone like that in a public place do it! do it! do it!
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose. Having to go through it again, even I don't think it's very good anymore, but pretty much anything I write has about a three month window where I actually think it's anything worthwhile.
    You'll also find that FimFiction's audience are far more forgiving than their EqD counterpart.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    You'll also find that FimFiction's audience are far more forgiving than their EqD counterpart.
    From the looks of it, people who liked it the first time on Equestria Daily didn't actually comment on Equestria Daily to let me know they liked it.

Meanwhile, everyone who thought I'd jumped the shark was more than happy to chime in.

Well. That just shows the importance of saying if you like something: that negative reaction killed the planned third part of my Soarinjack stories. Who knows what might have been.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, while we are on crossovers, I present you Dark Sun Ponies!

Once upon a time, in the blasted wastes of Equestria, the last pieces of the old world slowly crumbles to dust. Once, however, there was a young creature who discovered something wonderful. He showed it first to two ponies, and they made a pact. This discovery, called "magic" changed the lives of those founding three forever.

The creature who first found out about magic was named Discord. He taught it to two mare-friends, Luna and Celestia. Mind you, while the latter where both unicorns no one knows what race Discord was. All who know of him could only say that he never truly was sane at heart. All three kept there powers secret until one of them, the Unicorn named Celestia, showed it to a group of young mares for her own amusement. When Discord found out, he was in a rage. How dare she break the rules of the game? They where gods! With both wings and horns, unlike anything else they knew of. Naturally, his perfection of the art caused him to "experiment", causing him to twist himself in a mirror of his own twisted ideals.

Celestia and Luna, both feeling that they have gleaned all they could from the now spiritual being, managed to trap him inside magical marble of his own make during one of said sessions and dump him at a blasted frozen waste in the far north. Celestia continued to display her power, attracting many ponies to her banner. All the while, Luna was disappointed at her actions, knowing that her sister was ignoring her abilities and wasting it one frivolous mortals. And so, she bided her time, waiting for the right time to remove her from her throne of adoration and foolishness.

As the time came, Luna became ever more like the creature who she learned the magical arts, while Celestia, if anything, decayed in skill. As the dragon-eyed princess declined on her foolish kin, she soon learned it was a trap: her students, long having become lesser beings like themselves, attacked and overwhelmed her. Yet, she could not be destroyed. Her power was to great, and even at the brink of defeat she was more powerful than any other being in the throne room. As such, Celestia herself, with the help of the group on ponies later stylized as The Elements of Harmony, sent Luna away with a combined blast of magic that scorched the world with the heat of the Sun.

The resulting world was left barren. The Elements all bowed there heads to there master, now changed into a creature not unlike her sister. With a turn of her ivory head and a flick of her now bright-red mane, speckled with churning spots reminiscent of cooling magma, she had there directions turned to that of the now-dieing sun. She declared that, now cosmically spent, the Sun will die without consent energy applied to it. She than had her followers, each ready to set out on there own, to find fertile spots in the blasted land and create cities in which souls could be harvested for the sustaining of the sun.

The land is a harsh place. For the last thousand years, Donkeys try to find and mine the last viable stone reserves on the planet, while Buffalo roam and crush any village in there path. Out in the Sand Sink, Goats are servants to the Minotaurs in dusty castles, while up in the deadly northern forest called the Everfree (the approximant location of Discords physical form) deadly monsters roam, while Zebras use the natural magic of the place to suite there needs. Griffins raid upon unlucky travelers, yet are a boon to those with the money needed for the employment of such efficient fighters.

In the City States, life is far different than the nomadic ways of others. Ponies are ruled by there Princesses, while unicorn nobles, pegusi guards, and earthen craftsmares live in the same districts. Each maintained by the hard work of the Pegusi, allowing for the few rainclouds and storms to come into there lands (while keeping other's around it dry), each one has it's own distinct flavor.

Twilight's is a bastion of magic, with many wonders among its tall towers. Within her personal domain, it is said, lies a strange figure some say is her own son, turned snakelike by her practice of magic. Hardly ruling at all, she only leaves to unleash magical power upon those foolish to the point of questioning the Favored Student of Celestia, a title in which the others find empty and foolish.

Fluttershy's is a bastion of life built on the bodies of the dead. Highly vegetated and full of life, she accomplished such a fantastic feat by draining the land miles around her domain clear of life. Neverless, despite the city being rather isolated, her primitive warriors love there queen. Those who provoke her wrath can face anything from swarms of hungry insects to bears.

Rarity's realm is that of decadence and fantastic extremes. While styled after the sprawling cites of her youth, filled with happy couples and young love, it is all supported by gem mines populated by both Dogs and Donkeys, and the people are entertained by the cites cadre of Mules gained from the slavery of both Pony and Donkey kind. With these mines, it is the greatest producer of magical gems in the known world, a fact that she uses to support she and her servants lavish lifestyles.

Applejack's farmland is unquestionably the most productive in the world. Probably the least comfortable with the usage of magic, she controls a city primarily made up of earth ponies, with little in the way of pegusi and even less of unicorns. She has many slaves, true, but all are either there to produce goods or to till the soil. In fact, within her walls contain races like Pigs and Cows that are gone elsewhere, and that fact has not been forgotten by them. As the breadbasket of the remaining world, she is only attacked occasionally by pegusi under Rainbow Dashes banner.

Rainbow Dash's city is one built on the clouds, and must be maintained constantly to keep any resemblance of shape. Dealing with the others only for food and raw goods, the city almost consists entirely of pegusi. War-like and cruel, they deal with traitors within there ranks by binding there wings and dropping them into the Silt Sea, which it floats above. Raids upon Griffin villages are common, and merely surviving a few weeks on the surface can get you a cushy villa on a cloud separated from the main bulk. The Princess herself can maintain it personally, but has more than once shown her disapproval of her people by obliterating the existing city with a rainbow blast of magic and forming another elsewhere on the horizon.

Pinkie Pie never truly rules her city, which is the largest of its kind. In fact, she walks among the common populace, leaving the ruling to a council of surprisingly stony elected officials. A mix of every race is present here, with every presumable race under the scouring sun mixing together. Pinkie Pie is still the prime ruler in the seeming chaos, however: she has become something different than here peers. While she has the horns and wings characteristic of her kind, she uses magic is ways unseen elsewhere besides, it was whispered amongst her peers, Discord. She is entirely capable of withstanding assaults against her person who think that her scatterbrained mindset is a weakness, while the city itself has learned to take advantage of its varied inhabitance to the logical extreme, with Giraffe guards and Rhino shock troops being prime examples. As a whole, one could think of the costal city as the "mixing pot" of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    you know you now have to post a video of yourself greeting someone like that in a public place do it! do it! do it!
    See, the thing is that I'd totally do it the next time I meet someone from this thread somewhere, but I wouldn't record it. Permanent video evidence is...problematic. Oh well, guess you'll just have to come to Boston or San Francisco at a time that I happen to be there.

@Kairaven and Pokonic. I hope you guys are keeping copies of those posts. There's no way we can talk about them enough in the next few pages before we abandon this thread. Those are three massive crossovers so far.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-04-25 at 09:24 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Actually, thinking it over, that is a very good point.

I wouldn't agree with it 100% - I mean, Fluttershy's birds were good enough to introduce Celestia during the Summer Sun Celebration, which I presume to be a fairly major event. Rarity as a dressmaker still makes sense. Applejack and Pinkie Pie still seem like unusual choices, unless Celestia is intentionally sticking it to the more snobbish elites - given ponies like Blueblood and Upper Crust, though, perhaps that is exactly what she is doing.
    being the owner of a struggling business, theres a good chance AJ couldn't afford to be in canterlot for so long without the promise of a payday.
    seeing how the apples' livelihood is the work of celestia herself, i wouldn't be surprised she'd hire them just to help them.

as for pinkie, i don't think it would be out of sheer spite. more because she liked it and didn't really care what the royals thought. she clearly doesn't carry herself as some high and mighty being.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

DBC, every, EVERY artist finds all kinds of flaws in their own work, even when it doesn't deserve it. It's because as the creator, you know every last detail and flaw, especially the ones that most readers won't even notice.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, if anyone did that to me, I'd probably freeze up due to HNNNNGGHH flashbacks.

re-imagining time!

Now I just have this image of Celestia and Luna wearing heavy cloaks and standing on The Wall, looking North.

"Chaos is coming"

26. - Top - End - #1286

re-imagining time!

presenting Lady Twilight of House Sparkle, Apprentice to her Eternal Majesty Celestia, Princess Supreme of House Equestria. On a most holy Quest for the knowledge of Ancient mysterious deep Friendship Magic.

her unlikely companions:

Lady Rarity of merchant house Belle of Ponyville.
    Peasant Applejack of Apple clan.
    Cake Apprentice Pinkie Pie
    Hermit Fluttershy of Everfree
    Rainbow, Disowned scion of House Dash, renowned Military Clan of Cloudsdale.

Season one is about the return of Princess Luna, Nightmare of Darkness, Who contends for the ruling throne of House Equestria. Complicated by Celestia being missing, Equistria faces division as political conflicts within noble houses threaten to tear pony world apart.

Season two; After the reunification of divided Equestria and the reconciliation of the Royal Ruling Sisters, A new threat arises as an army of Chaos assaults Equestria. Can the newly established Order of Harmony rise to the challenge? Will Lady Twilight and companions able to withstand internal strife instigated by the sinister beast, Discord, Lord of Chaos.

Season Three: A reprieve after the union of House Sparkle young lord Shining Armor with Princess Cadance of House Mi Amore. The Combined might of their houses were able to drive back the insidious infiltration of army of Changeling Queen Chrysalis at the end of last season. The Order of harmony has to deal with worrisome tiding that the shattered Army of Chaos might be on the rise again.
    If you're interested in a setting like that you should check out The Platinum Crown.

@Anarion
    Good call on not wanting video evidence to exist online. I'm at a security conference in NYC today and tomorrow, and there was a panel today hosted by a librarian turned private investigator who basically showed us how a bad guy could out an undercover cop or spy in 10 minutes with just a web browser. Seriously, if you know someone tech savvy with a masters in library science, for the love of all that is good and holy DO NOT PISS THEM OFF.

Nopony else in this thread is going to be at ASIS tomorrow are they? I thought there was at least one other cyber security brony floating around.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ogre in the Playground

There, done. Got the version I wanted to do up before someone else in the thread could so HA!
    Spoiler
    Show

I swear this fandom is great motivation just on the grounds of wanting to get something done before someone else beats you to it. >_<

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Problem with that theory: when they needed the Elements, they still had to go and get them. Yes, the relevant ponies were already in Canterlot, but it should have been feasible to get five of the six to wear their regalia under their bridesmaid dresses. And yet there's no indication that was even considered. (Also, I tend to suspect Celestia wasn't thinking all that straight anyway when she said to get the Elements, on account of "that chamber is protected by a powerful spell that only I can break," last we heard.)
    But it ensures all six are in Canterlot, if they were in Ponyville they'd have missed more then Luna did. I don't think Celestia had real firm plans, but knowing that Shining would certainly invite Twilight ensuring she brings all the EoH with is a reasonable measure. If nothing happened, that's just great. There's a line between reasonable preparation and paranoia.

Beside she already knows Twilights friends can do a reasonable job.

Rainbow Dash vs Wonderbolts. AJ's food vs that of the castle cooks. Pinkie having no idea how party for adults looks like. Rarity trying to pull noble-like behaviour and ending looking like a gold digger (her second attempt in S2 was much more successful). Octavia. Basically, Mane Six ran into their counterparts doing these things for a living, and walked away with their flanks kicked instead of outperforming them.
    Umm no not even a bit. There's no competition going on, its just a case of unrealistic and mismatched expectations. Its apples and oranges, square pegs and round holes. They didn't "win" because they tried to play the wrong game. When there wasn't any game being played.

Any imagining this into being so is far too removed to be some sort of logical reason the Mane Six can't be hired for particular tasks.

Difference being, they were picked to provide food and music for a festival in a small time city hall. They might have been best in town. Now, they are asked to provide wedding cake, which is task requiring very high level skills, and provide music for momentous occasion, to which they reply by failing to pick adequate birds. In city with far better access to luxury craftsponies.

Basically, it's like provincial theather from Nebraska was picked over Broadway to provide actors for Barack Obama's formal event.
    That sort of thing happens all the time actually though the case you hazard is perhaps a bit extreme. I happened to be part of a group that performed my local Governor back in high-school.

Its good public relations after all.

Though probably not the case here at the same time we still have the precedents from the Mane Six doing their exact jobs. Now add in Celestia's record of dislike for actual pony high society, Cadence clearly not being snooty either, and Chyrsalis' general apathy toward specifics, and Shining Armor being a pretty down to earth guy. Who exactly is going to put out the call that these six experienced ponies aren't good enough?

It's like recalling aircraft Carriers from Pacific just after Pearl Harbor, so that the president could use them as a private yacht, not keeping them mobilized on the front line. How long Chrysalis would have gloated over fallen Celestia if the elements could have been fired right there? Instead, their combat readiness was as high as if Mane Six were on the Moon. Zero.
    Except Canterlot is the front line. (Also I'd need to explore the detail but I'd imagine they spent the period right after flying CAP over Ohahu. As they were reacting not planning so not a good analogy there in my book)

Anyways its not like I think Celestia knew what was going to down exactly when. If one has intelligence that Canterlot is being targeted then raising your defenses to the max and having your greatest weapon on hand as opposed to in another locale is more prudent and reasonable.

Insisting they Mane Six go around in their regalia at all times would cross the line into paranoia, plus risk say purely mundane loss/theft/accident. And that is what would be needed. Presumably "A changeling will preemptively neutralize my chief knight and major defense at the wedding" wasn't planned for.

However if say the Changelings (or whatever) had attacked externally and not had a mare on the inside then even if they'd been able to get through the defenses they should have held out long enough to go grab the Elements. And they are the ace up the sleeve not the primary measure, Celestia was more then willing to throw herself right at the problem.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Except Canterlot is the front line. (Also I'd need to explore the detail but I'd imagine they spent the period right after flying CAP over Ohahu. As they were reacting not planning so not a good analogy there in my book)

Anyways its not like I think Celestia knew what was going to down exactly when. If one has intelligence that Canterlot is being targeted then raising your defenses to the max and having your greatest weapon on hand as opposed to in another locale is more prudent and reasonable.

Insisting they Mane Six go around in their regalia at all times would cross the line into paranoia, plus risk say purely mundane loss/theft/accident. And that is what would be needed. Presumably "A changeling will preemptively neutralize my chief knight and major defense at the wedding" wasn't planned for.

However if say the Changelings (or whatever) had attacked externally and not had a mare on the inside then even if they'd been able to get through the defenses they should have held out long enough to go grab the Elements. And they are the ace up the sleeve not the primary measure, Celestia was more then willing to throw herself right at the problem.
    Mundane loss/theft/accident? That's not even the least of the problems. The Elements don't work unless all 6 are in the same place. How many times in that episode did you see everyone together? Even at the wedding itself nopony questioned why Twilight was missing, and gods forbid Chrysalis didn't just swipe the Element of Magic after banishing Twilight. She could have revealed herself right there, blasted Celestia, and nopony would have been able to do anything about it. Of course that's exactly what happened anyway, but in the case of what actually happened at least she didn't get her hooves on the Elements.

30. - Top - End - #1290

If one has intelligence that Canterlot is being targeted then raising your defenses to the max and having your greatest weapon on hand as opposed to in another locale is more prudent and reasonable.

*snip*

And they are the ace up the sleeve not the primary measure, Celestia was more then willing to throw herself right at the problem.
    You make some excellent points, but these two things in combination are problematic. It's all very noble and commendable to be willing to sacrifice yourself for your people, but if doing so robs your subjects of the ability to use Plan B then it shouldn't be your Plan A.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!