New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: OOTS #861 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    Quick prediction while I'm here: While Malack is wandering around, he's going to run into V. And then the fun starts.
    V also established a bit of a rapport with Malack before.
    Not enough to get him any special treatment like Durkon, though.
    If they do come to blows, it will be very wordy indeed.
    Perhaps Malack will hear V's 'confession'.
    My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Ah...

I'm curious to see what Malack will do when he'll arrive... well, luckily the mummies are now out of game without trouble.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-08-28 at 06:06 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    Therefore, saying that it's all set up because Xykon "depends heavily on undead" is indisputably incorrect.
    Well, he depends heavily on being undead.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdance View Post
    What feat allows that? And great comic. Thanks Giant!
    Great Cleave. At this point, Roy probably deals 2d6+19 (7*1.5 STR, +5 weapon, +4 Greater Specialization) damage per swing. Throw in Undead bane (2d6+2), and maybe 5 points in Power Attack, and you are looking at 40+ damage, more than enough to one-shot the mummies.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I also noticed that Zzt'dri was prepared to face an archer this time

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by coineineagh View Post
    V also established a bit of a rapport with Malack before.
    Not enough to get him any special treatment like Durkon, though.
    If they do come to blows, it will be very wordy indeed.
    "Hey, I'm the LN-ish cleric of a god of death!"
    "Hey, I inadvertently killed all the Draketooths and now I'm feeling guilty!"
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

With respect to the grammar issues: Panel 2 is definitely an oversight, of which I've seen a few in the past in this comic. It's no big deal, because as was said: Your brain will fill in the missing word.

"Suitable to" is definitely grammatically correct. As was pointed out, if you insert "the task of" after the phrase, it will make more sense. The Giant probably chose this wording to emphasize Malack's learned and elitist manner of speech. He is withdrawn and sheltered, and gets most of his language from old tomes with arcane style of expression.

Jumping to the conclusion that "suitable for" is the correct and only way to express things, is in fact a mistake on the part of the poster. But I doubt he/she would be willing to admit to this now. Calling another out for a grammar error, while the cause is in fact your own limited knowledge of grammar, is quite embarassing. Not to mention the value judgements about the comic that followed. Uncalled for.

It's also a bit [dare I use the word?] ironic...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't think Roy's sword is Holy becuase according to the SRD it has to be a good aligned crafter. The swordsmith started to offer Roy a way around the extra damage to undead which isn't something I'd normally associate with that alignment.
    It is more likely I think that the weapon is a genuine Artifact. It has a long history (handed from Father to Son), has "a bounty of starmetal" and was crafted after an extensive quest for a specific purpose.
    Also, from a meta game perspective, it makes sense to give the player a powerful weapon that can defeat the Big Bad but not so powerful to make other tasks trivial.

The critical theory still holds reasonably well with me. The mummies would have been helpless so Roy would have been auto critting them. Roy would likely have the improved crit feat. Maybe the artifact can also chose when it deems the drama of the swing to be appropriate. This idea does fit well into the story line. IMHO.

For a guess... I think Roy is finally going to be using Elan effectivly, some how... I'd put him against the enemy mage myself. Elen knows spells and would probably be quite good and locking a spell caster down. I wonder whether Roy's 18 int should have made the connection as to who the fighter is, if so then he would put Elen up agains't T and then come in for a Flank attack and Grapple or Disarm. Also, Slay Living would be perfect on the enemy mage as it is a fort save.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    Isn't starmetal supposed to deal extra damage to outsiders, with the undead part being an addition of Rich's part? The green glow probably indicates when the extra damage is being dealt.
    I had no idea starmetal was a real D&D thing; I thought Rich made it up.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Complete Arcane pg 114ish.

The Green Star Adept PrC is based around it.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

12. - Top - End - #132

MindFlayer

The Shield spell has been in Z's spellbook for a long time...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    What's cooler, Tarquin the 30th level fighter (or whatever he is) with a staggering attack bonus, a million feats and a bajillion gold, or Tarquin the shrewd warrior and manipulator who uses his wits and considerable-though-not-demigod-level power to get whatever he wants?
    Um, the first one. With the staggering attack bonus and million feats. That's way more badass. He's still a shrewd warrior and manipulator who uses his wits and power well, but if he's epic-level he's that much more of a threat. Just because someone has a ton of power doesn't mean they all choose to use it like V.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheHead View Post
    Um, the first one. With the staggering attack bonus and million feats. That's way more badass. He's still a shrewd warrior and manipulator who uses his wits and power well, but if he's epic-level he's that much more of a threat. Just because someone has a ton of power doesn't mean they all choose to use it like V.
    Gnome Alone: What's better, A or B?

You: BOTH!

That annoyance aside, the latter is far cooler. You seem to equate "cool" with "stupidly overpowered."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2012-08-28 at 09:58 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #135
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    The Shield spell has been in Z's spellbook for a long time...
    And it's a spell Zz'dtri would prepare for Vaarsuvius (specifically, for Magic Missile), not for an archer; +4 to AC stacked on the equipment of a wizard who doesn't focus on AC is trivial at Haley's level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    Complete Arcane pg 114ish.

The Green Star Adept PrC is based around it.
    That said, starmetal as described in the comic functions differently than that starmetal, so as far as the metal now composing part of Roy's sword goes, I'd stick with "Rich made it up."
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-08-28 at 10:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Enjoyable strip. Some thoughts from it and this thread:

Mentioning that the steel door is 'air-tight' prevents Malack from Wind Walking around it.

I really wonder what Elan's doing. Despite having said earlier that I'd expect every spellcaster in an Illusion-heavy lair to have True Seeing up, one thing Elan could do if he didn't want to Sing, could be to cast an illusion of V onto Tarquin. Yeah, T'll see through it, but Z won't. And Z won't be be able to hear T telling him to, "Stop shooting at me, you idiot!" It's a way of indirectly Dominating the opponent's mage---and getting him to wear down the tank/leader---without having to deal with his pesky Spell Resistance. Then T Vorpal's Z into Drow chunks, and we move on.

I think T is rolling up onto Belkar. I do not think this will end well for Belkar. Despite T's threatening to kill Nale, I don't think he'll actually go through with it. And not because of whatever silly knowledge or pull Nale thinks he has with Team Evil.

I don't remember who wrote it in the #860 thread, but I like the idea of T waiting until most of Nale's team is toast, then pulling off the mask for the big reveal. It beggars belief that Roy and Haley, never mind Durkon, haven't put 2+2 together and figured out that 'not-Thog' = Tarquin. Nevertheless, I am interpreting they haven't, because of Roy's "mystery cleric" statement. If they knew they were fighting T, they'd know the cleric was Malack. Anyway, I can see the big reveal, then, of course, TE shows up and hilarity will ensue.

The answer for, "2nd toughest extant NPC besides Xykon?", is probably Serini. Girard, too, if there's a failsafe 'Resurrect our Founder' trap near the Gate. Which, no doubt, V will trigger by 'knocking wood'. FWIW, I'm in the camp of "not quite Epic, but damned close" for T, with Malack being 1-2 levels behind him. The difference, since they started adventuring at about the same time(?) is that T's picked up lots of XP from his manipulation of the different kingdoms in that part of the world. I'm guessing that he's not Epic, because we haven't seen any Epic feats/abilities, have we? Now, if Malack is only 1-2 levels behind, then shouldn't we expect to see some 8-9 Level spells coming from him soon? Do you think T has a way to summon the rest of his adventuring party? Say if, e.g, the Tarrasque makes an appearance?

One-shotting multiple mummies seems pretty impressive, but believable when you go through the math like Krim and erewhon have done.

17. - Top - End - #137

Where's Elan?

He should be warning Haley NEVER to say "I think this is going pretty well". That ALWAYS leads to an ax-weilding killer charging out of the smoke!

(That said, Tarquin seems unlikely to kill Elan outright, or his girlfriend. I'm looking forward to the Big Reveal!)

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Star metal is a staple of fantasy literature at least as far back as Dunsany's 1924 classic The King of Elfland's Daughter (well worth reading for itself and for campaign ideas.)

Good point. V really needs to talk with a high-wisdom someone to help figure out the enormity of the Familicide. A cleric of a god of Death may be a good choice, if the two are not otherwise committed to killing each other.

Heh. Isn't this first-level Shield, the all-purpose wussy defense? It pretty much confirms Z doesn't have much against archers (although to be fair, it could be that Z may be concerned about hand-to-hand combat as well, since there's a dwarf waving a hammer around.) Shield may also be easier to cast since it's so low-level; Z may be concerned about fizzling due to deafness (...not being a party to last thread's analysis of the improbability of another fizzle...)
    At least Z isn't shouting like an idiot and drawing fire. If the ceiling heights were as they appear from the drawing, this might have been a good time to fly and bob up to the ceiling where it is unlikely that Haley would be shooting arrows into the smoke. With a little luck, the smoke would be thinner there, Z would see H first and fire a spread of photon torpedoes.
    Last edited by rewinn; 2012-08-28 at 11:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Been reading through this thread and I had to put in my own two cents in regards to the joke behind the comic title...

In the last panel, Roy glances up, apologizing to the spirits of the Draketooth family for cleaving their bodies in two. He specifically states that, "I know it LOOKS bad..."

It's a common setup for jokes along the lines of, "you think that's bad? You should see the other guy!"

Which takes us back to the Roy's intended audience, the Draketooth spirits. The full joke would essentially be, "you think what I did to you guys right now was bad? You should see what we just did to Girard!"

It's a reference to probing that "dry and crumbly 'tailbone'" a few comics prior. And now I feel I just sucked all the humor out of it by explaining it in such detail...

19. - Top - End - #139

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Enjoyable strip. Some thoughts from it and this thread:

*SNIP*

It beggars belief that Roy and Haley, never mind Durkon, haven't put 2+2 together and figured out that 'not-Thog' = Tarquin. Nevertheless, I am interpreting they haven't, because of Roy's "mystery cleric" statement. If they knew they were fighting T, they'd know the cleric was Malack. Anyway, I can see the big reveal, then, of course, TE shows up and hilarity will ensue.

*SNIP*
    As far as they're aware Tarquin / Malack and Nale want each other dead. It's probably easier to imagine Nale went to a tavern and recruited a new fighter and cleric than it is that he is working with a mortal enemy. Especially given Nale's love of causing pain for quasi-imagined slights.

20. - Top - End - #140

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tathum View Post
    Which takes us back to the Roy's intended audience, the Draketooth spirits. The full joke would essentially be, "you think what I did to you guys right now was bad? You should see what we just did to Girard!"

It's a reference to probing that "dry and crumbly 'tailbone'" a few comics prior. And now I feel I just sucked all the humor out of it by explaining it in such detail...
    Nah, it's talking about what happened to Roy's pelvis when he was a corpse. Roy says, "They can totally fix it when they raise you guys." The title adds, "You should've seen what they did to his pelvis" — i.e., Roy's pelvis got banged up when he was dead, then was fixed when he was raised.

Bringing up Girard's pelvis doesn't fit with Roy's intention of reassuring the Draketooths' ghosts that the damage to their bodies is not as bad as it looks.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I may not be the first person to say this, but I love the irony as how everyone's been concerned the mummies will be a threat to the party when they get taken out by precisely 1 attack.
    Other than that, good to see the order are back on top. Except Tarquin is still active.

22. - Top - End - #142

I'm really glad Rich hasn't shown us every single weapon, armor and spell upgrade for the last 4-5 levels. How tedious would that be? He also hadn't shown Haley fencing Crystal's jewelry, I presume for the same reason: stats and gear don't build tension. Character sheets don't build character. Story does.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    What I just can't figure out is how these errors consistently get by the author's editor before going into print. If he doesn't have an editor, he needs to take some of that $1.2 million dollars from Kickstarter and hire one. And this from a guy who makes grammar jokes in his comic!
    Hire an editor? That would be an epically stupid way to piss money away...

First off, when you say "before going into print", you're missing the fact that the comics get automatically corrected before going into print, as they are posted online and read by tens of thousands of readers for months before they actually go into print.

When there's a typo in the comic, usually, it gets pointed out extremely quickly in the comic's thread by several people in the thread's very first pages -- most of whom start their post by "I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to notice this, but..." -- and have no fears, that typo does NOT reach print.

So, we're Rich's free, volunteer collective editor. And don't worry -- we never miss anything.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    ...When there's a typo in the comic, usually, it gets pointed out extremely quickly in the comic's thread by several people in the thread's very first pages -- most of whom start their post by "I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to notice this, but..." -- and have no fears, that typo does NOT reach print.

So, we're Rich's free, volunteer collective editor. And don't worry -- we never miss anything.
    Clever! We are "crowdsourced" editors, and paid in a currency The Giant has in plenty: entertainment.

25. - Top - End - #145

What an awesome strip!
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I really wonder what Elan's doing. Despite having said earlier that I'd expect every spellcaster in an Illusion-heavy lair to have True Seeing up, one thing Elan could do if he didn't want to Sing, could be to cast an illusion of V onto Tarquin. Yeah, T'll see through it, but Z won't. And Z won't be be able to hear T telling him to, "Stop shooting at me, you idiot!" It's a way of indirectly Dominating the opponent's mage---and getting him to wear down the tank/leader---without having to deal with his pesky Spell Resistance. Then T Vorpal's Z into Drow chunks, and we move on.
    I was expecting some sort of illusion usage from Elan to take advantage of the confusion from Haley's smake and Durkon's Holy.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Great comic!
    Last edited by THeBigZ; 2012-08-28 at 07:58 PM.
    Thanks to Mrgone for the amazing avatar!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by THeBigZ View Post
    Hey everyone! So I recently was on the site kickstarter, as most of you may know it is a site used to fund projects that everyday people make up. Our own Rich Burlew used it to start the reprinting of the OOTS comics, well now I recently found people who are trying to get money for a D&D documentary. Oh sure some of you may be like, "Oh man some boring documentary." But no their really is a quite compelling story behind the making of this legendary game! So I suggest you all check it out and help to make this movie a reality...
    Here is the link:
    unlinked
    From the Forum Rules:

Advertising/Linking
    As noted above, commercial (for-profit) advertising is not allowed on GiantITP.com. However, you ARE permitted to post about or start threads advertising non-profit websites; either charity events or merely amateur/fan sites that do not sell anything. Please be sure to observe the rules governing Spam and multiple-thread cross-posting, however, and make sure your plug is in the most appropriate forum (usually Friendly Banter).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2012-08-28 at 03:09 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #149

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by THeBigZ View Post
    Our own Rich Burlew used it to start the reprinting of the OOTS comics
    You don't say...

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Not that it would have too mmuch impact on the fight either way, but I'm really starting to Wonder where Elan is?
    Check out my Order of the Stick tribute art at:

http://afreon.deviantart.com/