New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 9: Contents Under Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    All the auxiliaries. The heavy infantry was Roman (or Italian), but the rest was largely mercenaries. Or local allies of variable trustworthiness, as the elder Scipios discovered in Spain.
    My understanding was that the Auxilia were largely composed of volunteers aiming to get Roman citizenship (or just looking for pay)- unless the Romans were facing a serious deficiency, or the mercenaries in question were particularly impressive (like Cretan Archers, who were enormously popular), I don't see why mercenaries would be preferable to normal soldiers or, worst comes to worst, conscripts.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you don't have to train them. Keeping a standing army is hugely expensive whereas you only pay for mercenaries when you use them. And it takes 6 months to turn a conscript into a soldier, whereas mercenaries can start work tomorrow. The armies of the 30-years war were largely mercenary and they were very effective as long as the pay came on time. When it didn't, they went on strike (it happened in the Swedish army after Johan Banér died).

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

3. - Top - End - #693

Well, you don't have to train them. Keeping a standing army is hugely expensive whereas you only pay for mercenaries when you use them. And it takes 6 months to turn a conscript into a soldier, whereas mercenaries can start work tomorrow. The armies of the 30-years war were largely mercenary and they were very effective as long as the pay came on time. When it didn't, they went on strike (it happened in the Swedish army after Johan Banér died).
    Thing is, they didn't have a standing army (prior to the Marian reforms, at least). Roman soldiers were men with property- while they were warring, their farms would die. When the threat of war loomed, the Consul was charged with raising an army- when the threat died down, the men would return to their homes.

4. - Top - End - #694

All the auxiliaries. The heavy infantry was Roman (or Italian), but the rest was largely mercenaries. Or local allies of variable trustworthiness, as the elder Scipios discovered in Spain.
    I work with mostly post-roman Empire strategy. Where it starts getting interesting, you know? There's only so much you can learn from Hannibal before you realize that although he was a tactical god, he couldn't turn anything strategic off of his victories.

That, BTW, disgusts me. You only fight if you stand to gain something strategic from it. You don't fight just because victory is assured. I spent a good two hours explaining to my brother why the casualty rate of Phalanx warfare between two Phalanxes was so low, since he was thinking along the lines of Video Game tactics-crush your foes to the last man if possible.

While the tactically sound maneuver, on a level of grand strategy, it is a horrible maneuver. First, your opponents no longer view retreat as as good of an option, since you have shown them that retreat won't save their lives; you'll kill them anyways. Secondly, what reason do they have to spare any of your troops that are routing? I could go on for ages about this, but I'll stop.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    I work with mostly post-roman Empire strategy. Where it starts getting interesting, you know? There's only so much you can learn from Hannibal before you realize that although he was a tactical god, he couldn't turn anything strategic off of his victories.

That, BTW, disgusts me. You only fight if you stand to gain something strategic from it. You don't fight just because victory is assured. I spent a good two hours explaining to my brother why the casualty rate of Phalanx warfare between two Phalanxes was so low, since he was thinking along the lines of Video Game tactics-crush your foes to the last man if possible.

While the tactically sound maneuver, on a level of grand strategy, it is a horrible maneuver. First, your opponents no longer view retreat as as good of an option, since you have shown them that retreat won't save their lives; you'll kill them anyways. Secondly, what reason do they have to spare any of your troops that are routing? I could go on for ages about this, but I'll stop.
    Your brother remind me of my dad's strategy. No Prisoners and kill em all. Well that was 2 years ago.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #696
    Colossus in the Playground

One more week, guys.

7. - Top - End - #697

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    Indeed. Caeser's amnesty program didn't work out too well for him, though, it must be admitted. Ended up fighting the same soldiers a dozen times.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

You kill the leaders and spare the soldiers. What is the enemy's army without soldiers?

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

9. - Top - End - #699

You kill the leaders and spare the soldiers. What is the enemy's army without soldiers?
    I think you mean without leaders, and the answer is headless, until someone else can get in solid command.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

No, I mean if all the enemy's soldiers deserts because that way they get to live. Hard to fight a war without an army.

― Tim Fargo

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

No, I mean if all the enemy's soldiers deserts because that way they get to live. Hard to fight a war without an army.
    Though one can do quite well with a navy if the circumstances are right.

Anyway... That's a risky strategy as desertion is not guaranteed, particularly if the soldiers are fighting for a cause they believe in or the defence of their loved ones and homes. Plus... The penalty for desertion can be quite high, particularly when it comes to the deserter having to live with themselves...

Yes, by all means don't kill all the men, but also don't simply release them to return and take up arms again. Treat them humanely and keep them safe.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #702

Hannibal worked for the Carthiginians, who were basically the... Great. I know exactly why Hannibal wouldn't spare any of the Romans, but I can't tell you because it would annoy the PoliCor people and get me in trouble with the mods.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

13. - Top - End - #703

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Hannibal worked for the Carthiginians, who were basically the... Great. I know exactly why Hannibal wouldn't spare any of the Romans, but I can't tell you because it would annoy the PoliCor people and get me in trouble with the mods.
    Shoot me a PM, we can argue it privately.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Well i'm done with finals! How are you holding up, Coffee?
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

15. - Top - End - #705

Last one's in a couple hours. I didn't have time to study adequately for any, since I had all three finals in a row, and none of them were easy. Then again, I kinda brought it on myself. My only job with this final is to not completely blow it and I get an A in the class, but that's much easier said than done.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

So that's your

Final final?
    Despite everything, its still me.

17. - Top - End - #707

Finally done! I'll get back to work with the comic tonight or tomorrow.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

Take some time to relax if you wanna
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #709

Thanks, and trust me, I did and am. Went to the annual county book sale today and ended up getting 80 dollars worth of books--after putting a third of them back because I literally bought so many I couldn't carry them all. I still needed a ride to the bus stop afterwards!

But I still found time to work on the comic, which I'm doing right now and will continue to do for an hour or so before going to bed. Thank you all so much for putting up with me, and you didn't deserve my lateness and delays.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-05-12 at 10:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

I still don't know what you mean by delays. Finals happen. Students shed tears. How could a comic come in such a time? (What books? Tell usssssss!)
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Thanks, and trust me, I did and am. Went to the annual county book sale today and ended up getting 80 dollars worth of books--after putting a third of them back because I literally bought so many I couldn't carry them all. I still needed a ride to the bus stop afterwards!

But I still found time to work on the comic, which I'm doing right now and will continue to do for an hour or so before going to bed. Thank you all so much for putting up with me, and you didn't deserve my lateness and delays.
    Book fairs. The classic trap for brilliant folks, nerds, and Playgrounders.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    Book fairs. The classic trap for brilliant folks, nerds, and Playgrounders.
    I think there's a considerable overlap between the three...

Good to hear you're back, Coffee. Now get some rest before you get back to the Plot.

― Tim Fargo

23. - Top - End - #713

I bought everything, from a giant book of mythology to a first edition copy of Watchmen ($17.50 because of a beat up cover; everything else was $2) to A Brief History of Time.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-05-13 at 10:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shoot I could shed tears over a midterm sometimes >>

Apparently I should visit a book fair. I haven't read enough of those in a while, and the ones my english class assigned were really terrible.
    Thanks asdf for the 90% Link 10% Alex avatar!

25. - Top - End - #715
    Halfling in the Playground

you only spent $80 at a book fair, darn that is some self control.... I have banned myself from ever returning to such things.
    When I think of vegans I get sad, just like I get sad when I think of starving children in Africa.- Deisserbia.
    Fear the Baaard- Daniel Mercury of Firstaria, If I put any more he will sue me for plagiarism :D

I wish I was a beetle... -super dark 33

26. - Top - End - #716

Except for a first edition copy of Watchmen, all the books were 2 dollars each. I bought 32 books after putting 15 or so back. I still needed a ride to the bus stop since I physically couldn't carry them all.

Oh, and update tonight or tomorrow, everyone.

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Hehe, very nice. Wish we had that sorta thing here.

Not that I strictly need more books (my bedroom is literally lined with shelves), but still.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Dwarf in the Playground

You guys must know some great fantasy books, any suggestions? I could use something that isn't too gritty :)
    Thanks asdf for the 90% Link 10% Alex avatar!

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Temeraire is awesome, but a little gritty, and gets dark.
    David Gemmell is good if you like fights.
    Redwall, How to Train Your Dragon, Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl are the obvious ones you probably know.
    Seraphina is a good one I picked up at random.
    Ooh, and Septimus Heap.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #720

Looking at the quality of this update and the backgrounds, even with the nice job I did on Remus there is no excuse for how long this took. Ah well...

#208: Better Late Than Never