New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Single-gender outsiders?

I was just thinking which outsiders can only be of a certain gender and which can be both male or female? Which have no gender and thus are unable to breed half-celestials/fiends?

Erinyes only have females.
    Succubi might have incubi counterparts with identical stats?
    Bearded devils must be male. Right?
    Lemures have no gender. It's not possible.
    What about bralani? And many, many other outsiders?
    Last edited by Jon_Dahl; 2013-05-25 at 12:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Single-gender outsiders?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    You haven't met my mother-in-law.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Mariliths are always (outwardly) female.

IIRC, the AD&D 2E Planescape supplement on fiends did say that demons/tanar'ri can change their gender and/or are all and no genders at once, but that this doesn't actually affect their looks much (except, one presumes, in the case of succubi/incubi, but they're using separate shape-changing abilities).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azernak0 View Post
    Mothers-in-law are universally devils.

Unless they're not, in which case they're just waiting for you to make a mistake, after which they will pounce on you with no mercy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I was just thinking which outsiders can only be of a certain gender and which can be both male or female? Which have no gender and thus are unable to breed half-celestials/fiends?

Erinyes only have females.
    Lemures have no gender. It's not possible.
    What about bralani? And many, many other outsiders?
    There are male erinyes in some of the other books though, and their monster manual entry refers to them as "resembling very comely women or men".

I'm not sure if the books really say that most outsiders can only be of a certain gender though. It's a reasonable inference (like with bearded devils) but even there you have to remember that these are magical creatures and their beards aren't human facial hair but simply poisonous magical weapons that grow out of their face. Who knows if some of them are biologically femal (whatever that even means for extraplanar horrors)?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Some outsider entries do not have a biological oriented creation method.

For instance, Lemures and Dretches are frontline troops for LE and CE planar forces.

Lemures, are traditionally from Ancient Roman superstition, and were malignant spirits, or twisted souls. The D&D version for instance, in the Planes section of the DMG alludes to the souls of mortals who rather than face their evil god's judgment instead agree to a higher devil's contract to join the armies of hell, with room for advancement (ie, be transformed from Lemure to something more powerful if they prove themselves).

The idea is, that the thoughts of the Lemure is still the soul of the original mortal (in the D&D cosmology). It seems that in D&D, soulstuff is transformable, and biology (such as gender) has little to do with anything. Even take the Reincarnate spell; your character dies, oh noes, the druid used Reincarnate and now your new body is random! So that Torg the Barbarian is now a female Goblin in need of a Polymorph Any spell...

So with just the above Lemure example... I'd be leery about ascribing such Material biological designations to extra-planar beings in the D&D universe. I would suggest, that gender is meaningless to Outsiders, and that "through magic" any celestial or infernal could contribute to offspring with Material beings. In any event, these are plot devices for character backgrounds; just because your daddy is a bearded devil doesn't mean "he" hasn't been transformed by an Arch-Duke into something greater (or lesser).
    Last edited by CaladanMoonblad; 2013-05-25 at 08:03 AM.
    - not enough characters for Caladan Moonblade, my first AD&D character (Fighter 1 / Wizard 1) who was slaughtered the first session I played by a 10th level Vampire. This was the early 1990s.
    -Currently playing 3.5 with the same name and character concept in my wife's game.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Just because human females can't grow beards, doesn't mean that the same is true for all species. In a great many settings, for instance, female dwarves can have beards. Since a bearded devil is even less closely related to humans than dwarves are, it wouldn't be surprising at all to learn that female bearded devils can also have beards.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not an expert of outsiders' gender, but I think that any creature with acces to polymorph or similar could easily breed with any creature it change itself to. For example, I think gelatinous cubes are genderless, but you can easily make a half red dragon gelatinous cube.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think a lot of neutral ousiders, like modrons and inevitables, have no gender. I usually rule that most outsiders have either "gender: yes" or "gender: no".
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

You run into weird questions of how you define sex and gender anyway. They don't normally reproduce sexually, so that's out. Their appearances are mutual, and their thoughts are alien.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    There are male erinyes in some of the other books though, and their monster manual entry refers to them as "resembling very comely women or men".
    Ahhhh, how could I miss that...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon Magazine 353's article about Malcanthet gives stats for incubi, which are rapists rather than seducers. They are soldiers, not schemers.

When a demon lord has to subtly seduce an heretosexual female they probably ask a succubus to take male shape for the job, so in a way the succubi count both as male and female.

13. - Top - End - #13

Valkyrie (ToB version) can only be female.

Edit: Both types of Valkyries are female only. My bad.
    Last edited by CIDE; 2013-05-25 at 01:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

HalfOrcPirate

I believe gender is rather fluid when it comes to outsiders. I seem to remember a little encounter in a Planescape adventure with a former Balor who failed a Demon Prince and got demoted to Marilith. The new Marilith was upset because as a Balor it had identified as male and was suddenly in a feminine body. PCs were able to exploit this during encounters with it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

I've read in various places (not sure that any of them carry any RAW weight, but RAW doesn't have a huge amount to say about reproduction for many exotic monster types, frustratingly) that outsider fertility is based on their celestial/infernal/abyssal magical natures, not based on physical traits. Thus, if they want to reproduce (and have some degree of sentience/free will, so probably excluding the lowest of the low fiends) then they can probably manage it.

I believe someone already noted that most outsiders don't reproduce on their own, but only through interaction with other mortal creatures. There is probably some fluff somewhere, maybe with some crunch, that specifies the details of how outsiders are generated by the planes they live on or by the will of the deities or some such. The Fiendish Codex I and II are good places to look for this kind of stuff.

From, um, was it 2e, maybe 1e as well, there were two types of half-fiends that were specifically called out as being their own race. There might be 3e versions, too. I believe that it was:

Mortal Father+Succubus Mother= Cambion (which seemed to always be male)
    Mortal Mother + Demon Father (Glabrezu?) = Alu-Fiend (which seemed to always be female)

or vice versa. It was also specified that the mortal mother in the second pairing ALWAYS died in childbirth, from what I recall (long time ago).

In any case, it's an interesting question, but I am inclined to think that, like fey, outsiders only have babies when they want to, and probably aren't limited by things like...plumbing.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-05-25 at 01:38 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Just because human females can't grow beards
    Not universally true
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You run into weird questions of how you define sex and gender anyway. They don't normally reproduce sexually, so that's out. Their appearances are mutual, and their thoughts are alien.
    That's a good point. Sex refers to biology, while gender refers to social role.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    I believe someone already noted that most outsiders don't reproduce on their own, but only through interaction with other mortal creatures. There is probably some fluff somewhere, maybe with some crunch, that specifies the details of how outsiders are generated by the planes they live on or by the will of the deities or some such. The Fiendish Codex I and II are good places to look for this kind of stuff.
    This tend to be setting specific but for general dnd, for devils at least it goes something like this.

Evil soul get acquired, tortured for a while, turn into a lemure. If lemure does well, it gets promoted and physicly transform into a more powerful devil. Rince and repeat.

In that sense at least devil do not appear to "reproduce" they turn soul into more devils. At least for the vast majority, there are devils who are the children of other devil but how that came to be and if it mean sexual reproduction at all or if it's a funky magical process on yet another soul to make it transform in an unusual way I do not know.

19. - Top - End - #19

Incubi are given completely different stats in one of the Dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

It doesn't matter much. They can Change Shape into any Small or Medium Humanoid. Most DM's just aren't cruel/creative enough to use male forms.

It's one thing for a straight guy to wake up in bed next to a smoking-hot Succubus. But waking up next to a fat hairy dude who stinks of sweat? That's true evil right there.

21. - Top - End - #21

pfff, make them wake up next to a kid. THAT is true evil.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    This tend to be setting specific but for general dnd, for devils at least it goes something like this.

Evil soul get acquired, tortured for a while, turn into a lemure. If lemure does well, it gets promoted and physicly transform into a more powerful devil. Rince and repeat.

In that sense at least devil do not appear to "reproduce" they turn soul into more devils. At least for the vast majority, there are devils who are the children of other devil but how that came to be and if it mean sexual reproduction at all or if it's a funky magical process on yet another soul to make it transform in an unusual way I do not know.
    Even if non-succubus, non-archfiends demons and devils could breed with each other, the spawn wouldn't probably survive for long or would be treated just like a lemure or larva.

I think succubus are the exception because 1.-they are strongly associated with sex, and there is a natural link between sex and reproduction, hence whatever power shaped them included functional reproductive systems "for thematic reasons", and 2.-they are used to restrain themselves and pretend that they are non-evil mortals for long periods of time, so they are the demons more likely to resist the impulse to eat the baby just after it's born and for a period of time long enough to find somebody who raises it.

Pleasure devils have been shaped to be perfect concubines for archdevils, so reproduction is basically another function that was give to them (some archdevils want spawn, I guess).

Other archfiends able to breed, like Pale Night, are just special.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    pfff, make them wake up next to a kid. THAT is true evil.
    Extra Evil: the "kid" (disguised Succubus) tells Mr-Guard-Man and all the town's strongest protectors about the "secret exercises" the kind hero-man showed him in his tavern room. But, the kid claims, they're super secret, and the hero (according to the "kid") said the kid will disappear if he tattles on his secret. Later, the Succubus teleports away in secret, with the whole town thinking the PC just murdered an orphan for exposing him as a pedophile.

I always feel like they're underplayed, considering they're immortal beings of pure, ultimate Evil.. but THIS is the truly messed-up stuff Demons would do to people in their spare time. Not just laying Paladins and doling out a Negative Level or two, but mercilessly tearing their lives apart piece-by-piece until there's nothing left.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2013-05-25 at 07:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

You guys mind if I add this to my signature?
    R.I.P. May ye get drunk off your ass in the Great Hall of Thor himself. Amen.

My DM won't let me prepare Mass Haste. He keeps on saying something about it "not existing," whatever that means.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by karkus View Post

You guys mind if I add this to my signature?
    Go right ahead.

26. - Top - End - #26

BarbarianGuy

Extra Evil: the "kid" (disguised Succubus) tells Mr-Guard-Man and all the town's strongest protectors about the "secret exercises" the kind hero-man showed him in his tavern room. But, the kid claims, they're super secret, and the hero (according to the "kid") said the kid will disappear if he tattles on his secret. Later, the Succubus teleports away in secret, with the whole town thinking the PC just murdered an orphan for exposing him as a pedophile.

I always feel like they're underplayed, considering they're immortal beings of pure, ultimate Evil.. but THIS is the truly messed-up stuff Demons would do to people in their spare time. Not just laying Paladins and doling out a Negative Level or two, but mercilessly tearing their lives apart piece-by-piece until there's nothing left.
    Absolutely stealing this the next time a PC gets drunk and friendly with a tavern wench.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Absolutely stealing this the next time a PC gets drunk and friendly with a tavern wench.
    Owch. Sounds a bit disproportionate, no?

But if Succubi teach you one thing as a D&D adventurer, it's to always have the Paladin scan any woman you touch

28. - Top - End - #28

BarbarianGuy

Owch. Sounds a bit disproportionate, no?
    It's a demon. What better way to spread chaos than to chose a random drunkard?

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    It's a demon. What better way to spread chaos than to chose a random drunkard?
    Choosing a random drunkard will affect the lives of maybe five or ten people, marginally. Choosing the king's heir might sow discord throughout the entire kingdom. As a being of pure and deliberate chaos and evil, any succubus worth her Intelligence score will choose the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

You would think that, by now, the good and neutral churches (and the lawful evil ones, too), would have developed protocols for that kind of thing. You know, things based on spells like Dispel Magic, Dispel Evil, Discern Lie, Zone of Truth, Detect Magic, Sense Thougths, Detect Alignment, Dominate Monster (followed by ordering the creature to tell the truth), Dismissal, Banishment (if it disappears, it wasn't a real kid)...etc.

I mean, succubi and clerics/paladins/other religion-based classes have both existed for centuries and even thousand of years, the succubi have probably tried that scheme a million times and by now the high-ups of the church probably think when hearing about the issue "another succubus pretending to be a kid, I guess".

A more effective way to use its power would probably be to pretend that she's a Doppleganger courtesan and offer her customers to satisfy all their kinks, slowly and subtly encouraging them until fully corrupting them:
    "There is nothing wrong if you feel attracted to your brother's wife, he will never know that you are bedding somebody who looks just like her".
    "There isn't nothing wrong with it, I look like a sixteen years old, and those are legal in this kingdom".
    "No, I swear this shape isn't like that of a fourteen girl, I can show you how a real fourteen naked girl looks if you want it"
    "Have you ever considered doing it with a Catfolk girl? That's hot!"
    "What if I take the shape of a Succubus?"
    "A Succubus with your sister-in-law's face?"
    "A Pixie would be really kinky, don't you think"
    "What about a mermaid? or a lamia?"
    "What about your cousin?"
    "You know what would be really, really, really kinky? to do it with while I look like your real, blood-related sister! Come on! It's not that bad, she's seventeen and it's just a game, it's not as if I really were her."
    "What about a halfling girl"
    "I assure you, this is the face of a halfling girl, not of a nine years old child".

And them she could subtly pull the strings so he really gets the chance to make real some of the less offensive fantasies. That way, when she mind-controls a real kid and sends it to the priest/paladin's bed pretending to be her roleplaying a kid, and arrange for him to be discovered, the inquiry will reveal his perversions and give credibility to the idea that he's a child abuser.
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2013-05-26 at 06:59 AM.