New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXIII: Luna's Sordid Dreams? I'm Not Googling That...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Spoiler: S4
    Show
    I find it curious that Twilight can apparently cast entirely improvised spells on the spot, successfully, even though she has no idea what the magic she's casting is supposed to do. Unless it literally was "turn this thing white" and nothing else, in which case ... why the overly dramatic dark alicorn magic? Is changing the color of liquids something only alicorns can do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    it is my understanding that she was just pumping magic into it, which would turn it white.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXIII: Luna's Sordid Dreams? I'm Not Googling That...

Show
    I find it curious that Twilight can apparently cast entirely improvised spells on the spot, successfully, even though she has no idea what the magic she's casting is supposed to do. Unless it literally was "turn this thing white" and nothing else, in which case ... why the overly dramatic dark alicorn magic? Is changing the color of liquids something only alicorns can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    it is my understanding that she was just pumping magic into it, which would turn it white.
    Spoiler: Season 4 magic use
    Show
    I either agree with Thubby, or I thought it was sort of a tip off. Like, Zecora saying "turn this white" was enough information for Twilight, internally, to go "oh, that's a dark magic alteration spell, I know how to do that" and then externally we see the blast. Like asking someone to add a particular ingredient in a recipe, rather than needing a fully customized spell for the moment.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Well.

Pony season 4 is going to have work quite hard to top Doctor Who, all I can say.

Fracking hell, that was awesome.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Thoughts on part 2
    Show
    I just noticed Discord is in Fluttershy's cottage.

I love this scene and all but why does this all feel like a really cheesy stage play?

... So... Celestia hasn't beat anyone and the one time she did fight, she got her ass kicked. And this time she ran, albeit for noble reasons. Why do people think she's strong again? I mean at least put up a shield or something...

No it wasn't, they looked like stones in the past, remember?

Least. Convincing. 'No'. Ever.

...I wonder if we have popcorn?

Nope.

Cue immediate separation in 3, 2...

... Huh. No separation yet... though kind of annoyed they didn't drop the first c in crockodile.

Applejack, that is insane. You could at least suggest she not fly for now instead.

Do you people not remember Cadance? Twilight is the element of THE MAGIC OF FRIENDSHIP. YOU WILL NEED HER.

you jerks made best pony cry >:(

... Huh. And Discord manipulates Twilight into not doing the incredibly stupid thing... also, this is another subplot that appears and resolves itself in about two minutes, tops.

Facehuggers! Also, why was Spike going higher for a better look when TWILIGHT CAN FLY?! I mean sure, she can't control her wings that well, but Spike is a friggen baby dragon that left the friggen PRINCESS alone in a forest trying to EAT A COUNTRY!!

Stop acting like sending Twilight away wasn't pointless!!!!

Okay. Another jump that's going to bother me all day... but at least we got to see AJ rope some plants liek a baws.

"We're simply lost without you." Great. So you'll never do something that stupid again, right? Good. "We need our friend." And, ya know, the demigoddess with power over all magic.

See, she flies right there with next to no problem!

Saw this coming. *shrug*

...Okay, I DIDN'T see that coming ._.

*sigh* Look, you had me going there for a second that the plants would prevent you from putting them in and it was kinda cool... why'd you have to snatch it away? =(

Why did Discord fall down? He can float.

I'll be honest: I knew about the chest going in but i still thought the elements would just show up again with no cost to our heroes.

Discord continues to be awesome.

...And of course as soon as I say that Discord claims responsibility. I thought the seeds were ashes, honestly.

Wait, so they can show up at the Summer Sun celebration now? Wouldn't Ponyville need them even more with the trashed town?

And a giant starburst... because.

Final thoughts: So... yeah, I liked it ^^ I complained a lot, but it was a fun little romp, all things considered, we got some more world-building and a season arc has been set up. Could've been better (Twilight getting sent away is solved so quickly all I can wonder is 'why bother' and the theme seems to be all over the place - didn't she show in part 1 she knew how to lead liek a baws?) but it was good.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #665
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    It was. I'm only a casual watcher (and picky with time traveling stories in general).
    *I* was impressed.

I hope someone does some Pony John Hurt art.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Show

S4 Ep2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that was one plot point I didn't like of the entire premiere. Everything was was pretty good to awesome.

Alicorns - Never leave home without one!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #666
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It was. I'm only a casual watcher (and picky with time traveling stories in general).
    *I* was impressed.

I hope someone does some Pony John Hurt art.

guys. haven't watched yet. no spoilz plz

S4 Ep2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alicorns - Never leave home without one!
    New tread title?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    New tread title?
    It gets my vote.

Spoiler: Episodes things
    Show
    I guess everyone can say Applejack's a jerk now and she could've just suggested Twilight not fly, but she was being honest. Element of honesty. It just wasn't that good of an idea to send Twilight to Ponyville

(where she was goaded back to the forest by Discord. Yay Discord, you solved the problem you caused!)

Sonic...! Sonic...! Twilight-... boom. Sonic Twilightboom.

Awwh, Celestia didn't tell Spike he didn't need to bow to her. He saved the Crystal Empire. And he still had to bow and Celestia kinda ignores him.
    Last edited by Dirtytabs; 2013-11-23 at 05:28 PM.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

2/3's of the Trifecta of Awesome down
    --just the Cosby special to go later tonight
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    it wasn't. protecting the leadership, preserving the chain of command, or keeping the figures the people will look to in a crisis safe is not a trivial concern
    Last edited by thubby; 2013-11-23 at 05:18 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

10. - Top - End - #670

No worries, I doubt we'll have time to explain further.
    Spoiler
    Show

New tread title?
    We have like... three suggestions now?

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    2/3's of the Trifecta of Awesome down
    --just the Cosby special to go later tonight
    Que?

SWEET CELESTIA! :D
    *DVRs this*

Spoiler
    Show
    it wasn't. protecting the leadership, preserving the chain of command, or keeping the figures the people will look to in a crisis safe is not a trivial concern
    S4 Ep2
    Spoiler
    Show
    I get the basic idea, but I wondered what they were going to do without the ability to activate the elements. I mean... they only mentioned using them several times getting to that point.

Maybe if they had put Twi on "Cleric Point", in the middle of the group to keep her protected on all sides?
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2013-11-23 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Because I post faster than I Google
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

S4 ~ A Hub tweet a friend pointed out to me. Curious.
    Fascinating... I'm thinking short list of who it could be... and [....Octavia...] is on top of it.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you'll notice, it wasn't exactly improvised either. She pumped Dark Magic into it that she Blue Mage'd into her repertoire in s3.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #673

I found a beautiful changeling art piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Fascinating... I'm thinking short list of who it could be... and [....Buy Some Apples...] is on top of it.
    Definitely in my top 3 guesses if not the first.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Dipper and Twilight... make a surprisingly wonderful coupling. o.o
    cuuuute

=D
    You got it right!
    (HUG)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Spoiler: S4 E1
    Show
    Is it just me, or did the magic Twilight use to blast the potion look disturbingly like Sombra's dark magic?
    Spoiler
    Show
    YES. YES IT DID.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Spoiler: S4E1
    Show
    Also, turns out Nightmare Moon was just Luna's Mega Evolution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...so many options of what to say...
    "So who's got the ring?"
    "I'd train her any day"

Spoiler: 1st thoughts
    Show
    well...i would say that puts an end to the "the Nightmare was some kind of external influence" line of fanon
    Spoiler
    Show
    That info came from faust, so... it's unclear. That said, this doesn't really disprove it. Luna could easily have been pushed and manipulated to that point.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Definitely in my top 3 guesses if not the first.
    I think its the second part that sells my particular preference. That is the option that I think has the most built in options to work with.

Presuming its not just clueless marketing BS anyways.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, don't worry, I wasn't going to (and even if I had, it'd have been labelled in spoilers!)

Suffice it to say it was at it's very best.

Also for those of us who have the red button on cable at the moment - and presumably everybody else later - I can also recommend the Five(ish) Doctors Reboot as well.

Right, after all that, it's about time for pony, methinks!

17. - Top - End - #677

I think its the second part that sells my particular preference. That is the option that I think has the most built in options to work with.

Presuming its not just clueless marketing BS anyways.
    Agreed.
    She's usually pretty good about correct info, isn't she?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #678

2-parter general thoughts

Spoiler
    Show
    It actually had some of the charm and comedy that makes people like the show, making it the first 2-parter to ACTUALLY DO THAT.

DisQord really made the episodes by the way.

Equestria being right next to Ooo theory is intact btw.

Let's talk about the elements

That's Celestia with Magic, Kindness, and Generosity; Luna has Loyalty, Honesty, and Laughter. Make of that what you will.

And my biggest complaint. DAMN IT APPLEJACK, you've just been demoted. You're now below Octavia, Scratch, and Fluttershy outside of the top 10. Everything you said was the worst thing in the episode. THIS INCLUDES THE FARTING DEATH PLANTS.

Bonus image:
    Spoiler
    Show

The first meme of the season:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Twilight's royal scepter.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

19. - Top - End - #679
    Banned

Also for those of us who have the red button on cable at the moment
    Oh you.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    The first meme of the season:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Twilight's royal scepter.
    Least its not the NSFW option this episode provided.

Or Gak, which isn't safe anywhere.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's gone for like 60 seconds of screen time, tops.

That is the epitome of POINTLESS. I mean, if Twilight had been gone for any significant length of time and the Mane six Filly Five had had to struggle on without her, there would've been an actual benefit to the story. Instead she goes back to Discord for like half a scene and then back into the forest. Hell, I kept pausing the video to write down notes on it, it probably was even faster to those who watched it normally!

Also:
    Their reasoning for letting her go disregards not only their friendship with Twilight and her goddesslike level of power, but their knowledge that Cadance is, in fact, a Princess that exists.

This is also the first indication we have that Twilight is insecure enough about her princesshood to make detrimental decisions for herself. She reacted to being put in charge by doing the exact opposite of an insecure freak-out.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #682

Least its not the NSFW option this episode provided.

Or Gak, which isn't safe anywhere.
    At least the Gak meme dried up quickly.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

Doctor Who and Pony. This day can't get much better.

Someone mentioned memes?
    Show

Also...
    Show

Something for the non-spoiler crowd: Pinkie in kitty pyjamams:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

24. - Top - End - #684

GnomeWizardGuy

Show
    Spoiler: Re: Twilight's magic (spoilers)
    Show
    I never considered FiM spellcasting to be equivalent to D&D Wizard spellcasting, or even similar. It does make much sense to me, as D&D Wizards need to spend time memorizing spells (which Twilight does not) and Twilight frequently ends up exhausted after casting large spells (which makes no sense for a D&D Wizard).

Rather, it's my impression that Twilight just builds up a lot of magic, then uses it in one of her already-known methods (one of her "spells") to get the effect she wants. In The Crystal Empire, she didn't have a "change crystal to dark crystal" spell or a "open magical doorway" spell prepared. She just knew how to gather and use alicorn magic, and used it in both cases. Similarly, she didn't have a specific "change purple potion to white potion" spell or even a "make this thing white" spell memorized. She just gathered together some alicorn magic and put it into the potion. From there, it was the potion reacting to the magic that turned it white.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...so many options of what to say...
    "So who's got the ring?"
    "I'd train her any day"
    Spoiler: Slightly spoilery
    Show
    Now I'm wondering how long it'll be before we see that scene to the Pokemon mega-evolution sound, or the old Digimon mega-digivolve sound.

Now what to post for people who haven't seen the episode yet?
    Hmm...
    I guess ponies works?
    Spoiler: PONIES!!!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    She's gone for like 60 seconds of screen time, tops.

That is the epitome of POINTLESS. I mean, if Twilight had been gone for any significant length of time and the Mane six Filly Five had had to struggle on without her, there would've been an actual benefit to the story. Instead she goes back to Discord for like half a scene and then back into the forest. Hell, I kept pausing the video to write down notes on it, it probably was even faster to those who watched it normally!

Also:
    Their reasoning for letting her go disregards not only their friendship with Twilight and her goddesslike level of power, but their knowledge that Cadance is, in fact, a Princess that exists.

This is also the first indication we have that Twilight is insecure enough about her princesshood to make detrimental decisions for herself. She reacted to being put in charge by doing the exact opposite of an insecure freak-out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    all that means is that the process was rushed, like all of the premieres have been thus far.
    the other 5 did struggle on and failed without her

the show addressed a legitimate concern and showed that discord is a troll but still fundamentally on the good guy side.

as for cadence, my understanding is that she was never supposed to be an alicorn at all. the universe seems to march on as if she's not in all instances, so im inclined to treat it as corporate meddling to be ignored.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Part ye the First initial thoughts...

Spoiler
    Show
    Off to a grand start, then!

Nice new intro picture.

Twilight => bad at flying.

Poor Spike! No-one worry about him slamming into the library or anything, then...

Discord! And, no, I still totally don't believe he's all that reformed! Even though he probably isn't responsible!

Huh. If I wasn't pretty sure that's a flashback to the day Luna first became Nightmare moon, I would totally be jumping up and down and shouting "I totally told you guys when I first joined the thread! I called it! I called it!" in the most obnoxiously smug manner as possible.

Of course, if, I'm wrong and Luna really has always been Evil or something, a) I will laugh so very hard, b) be gobsmacked they went there and c) gird myself for the horrendous fan backlash!

But I don't think it's all that likely.

27. - Top - End - #687

2-parter general thoughts

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's talk about the elements

That's Celestia with Magic, Kindness, and Generosity; Luna has Loyalty, Honesty, and Laughter. Make of that what you will.
    S4 Currency
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anypony else thought about rupees from Legend of Zelda when they saw the elements in their original form? My thought when they stoned Discord was "Pwn'd by 27 bucks!"

Spoiler
    Show
    S4 Twi
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully that's just a setup for her to grow into the role and not just an idiot ball being past around like it's the playoffs.

At least the Gak meme dried up quickly.
    Haha, good one!

Part ye the First initial thoughts...

Spoiler
    Show
    Off to a grand start, then!
    Poor Spike! No-one worry about him slamming into the library or anything, then...
    S4 Spike.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well they wouldn't want to mess with the canon butt-monkey, right?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #688
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Doctor Who and Pony. This day can't get any better.
    Fixed it for you.

I just Wathed the Doctor Who aniversary episode.

The Exitement that came from the climactic scene will keep me up all night.

That is all.

Spoiler: John Hurt Doctor Pony
    Show
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah, also
    Spoiler: kind of season 4
    Show

Another DBZ beam battle. Seems to happen between authority figures.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Not a fan much of anthro or a certain upcoming Se4 concept but this pic well...

Spoiler: Oh.... Myyyyyy
    Show

So yeah.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-11-23 at 07:09 PM.