New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What would you do if you met an extraterrestrial?

One of these days, a human, no matter how impoverished or wealthy, socially recognised or faceless, will meet up with a life-form from beyond our planet. Might be a minute after you read this post, months, years, decades. But you all must have a plan to interact with them if you see them, right?
    If you were to meet an extraterrestrial life-form, what would you do with them? The circumstances are that they are totally friendly, open to interspecies interactions, and vaguely humanoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What would you do if you met an extraterrestrial?

Quote Originally Posted by PallElendro View Post
    One of these days, a human, no matter how impoverished or wealthy, socially recognised or faceless, will meet up with a life-form from beyond our planet. Might be a minute after you read this post, months, years, decades. But you all must have a plan to interact with them if you see them, right?
    If you were to meet an extraterrestrial life-form, what would you do with them? The circumstances are that they are totally friendly, open to interspecies interactions, and vaguely humanoid.
    Don't particularly believe we'll ever see another intelligent life form, sorry. Not saying there aren't any out there, but the sheer odds against seeing them until we have highly advanced interstellar space travel, are slim to none, and slim done left town.

That saying, if I did see one, I'd run for the hills, screaming like a banshee.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Is it alone? The likelihood of mutual understanding reached within any reasonable time frame is impossibly low, so I'd wait until it inevitably got itself killed by something stupid like the common cold, grab an armful of its tech, and book it to Mountainview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I suspect it would depend highly on exact context of the meeting. If I was just out somewhere and ran into a semi-humanoid alien lifeform, as long as it made no hostile or terrifying actions, there would be initial trepidation, then curiosity, then trying to figure out who I could call about such a thing. I mean, who do you call, anyways? I mean, who's gonna believe a random guy claiming to have found an alien? Probably not some low-level guy on the 911 answering service. Oh, and I'd take photos, if I can figure out a way to do it without terrifyin' him.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'd made the vulcan hand sign then say "I welcome you in peace, space stranger, you would like to buy my bizarre goods from this planet yes?" in a intentionally fake and funny accent. just to screw with their head.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I would depart the area with as much rapidity as a quiet withdrawal would allow. Running and screaming draws far too much attention to you and activates the aggressive response, more than likely, in your average run of the mill apex-predator-turned-sapient. Just fading out, in so far as it's possible, is probably the best option.

Of course, part of what I did would probably depend on the alien's choices, too. For example, if they were hard-noses and had orders not to be seen by the natives, my next action would likely be to lie on the ground rapidly dying from a hole burned through my heart or brain. This, of course, is a major part of the reason why I would attempt to quietly depart the area as fast as possible.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Offer it some Reese's Pieces. I don't think that I'd let it use my phone though. The long distance charges would be horrendous.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

More likely to be an extraterrestrial rover/sample probe, if they go about exploration anything like we do.

If an actual live alien came to look at stuff, they'd presumably have some sort of environmental protection (i.e. no common-cold problem) and be prepared to encounter the local wildlife.

Maybe try to avoid any involuntary tissue-sampling/dissection? Although they'd probably want to observe normal behaviour first.

9. - Top - End - #9

Observe normal behavior... Okay, here's a scenario for you. You encounter a semi-humanoid alien. You have no common language, but it does nothing threatening toward you. Said alien proceeds to follow you around and stare at you. For days. No communication, it just follows you around. It ignores or barely notes the behavior and reactions of other humans. If attacked it responds with non-lethal but highly effective force. It's got transportation that allows it to keep up with you no matter where or how you travel and if you manage to 'lose' it, it always finds you again within an hour. How would you respond to such a thing?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I would hope he look a little something like this:
    Spoiler: This is a niche joke.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"Hello fellow traveller. I've been trapped on this world with the locals, who call themselves humans, for the past 8000 or so rotations around its primary star. In that time, I've seen nearly everything these people are capable of. My advice to you: Run. There is nothing of value here that can't be found elsewhere, and if you continue into town there's a fifty fifty chance that one of them will assume you're hostile and shoot you regardless of your intent. They are improving, so feel free to come back in a couple hundred years, but really, right now you're better off marking this place as uninhabited and sailing on."
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I would hope he look a little something like this:
    Spoiler: This is a niche joke.
    Show
    Really? I would hope that he doesn't.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'd summon up my inner Captain Kirk and ask if it wants to have sex with me.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

14. - Top - End - #14

"Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Observe normal behavior... Okay, here's a scenario for you. You encounter a semi-humanoid alien. You have no common language, but it does nothing threatening toward you. Said alien proceeds to follow you around and stare at you. For days. No communication, it just follows you around. It ignores or barely notes the behavior and reactions of other humans. If attacked it responds with non-lethal but highly effective force. It's got transportation that allows it to keep up with you no matter where or how you travel and if you manage to 'lose' it, it always finds you again within an hour. How would you respond to such a thing?
    Well, my first instinct would be to call the police. 'Cause, y'know, a creepy person-thing-organism is watching me as I sleep.

When the police prove ineffective, the National Guard, the Army, or Batman will probably be called in. They'll probably then quarantine my home and assail me with questions. Assuming they still can't capture and/or dissect the alien, they might consider dissecting me instead.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I’d punch it in the face (knocking it out of course) say “Welcome to Earth” then proceed to smoke a cigar.

All this after I’ve forced it down with my F 18.

edit:
    unless of course it's a hot alien space babe... then I'm going the Kirk route.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2014-04-11 at 12:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I'd summon up my inner Captain Kirk and ask if it wants to have sex with me.
    This is the only appropriate answer, regardless of what the alien looks like. Shame on all of you for not suggesting it earlier.
    Last edited by GoblinArchmage; 2014-04-11 at 01:05 AM.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"How was the trip?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I'd grab my laptop and introduce them/it to 4chan.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm planning to make good use of my towel.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

That would highly depend on what kind of an extra-terrestrial it is, something none of you have told me.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

[Assuming I encounter a "little green man" alien during my normal routine, and assuming no interruptions from the alien]

I'd probably spend between 1 and 15 minutes wondering if it was a fake and/or some kind of prank. I'd then attempt to steel my face for the hidden cameras which might be deployed nearby to capture my reaction, and try to ask something like "what, is this some kind of prank?", hoping that a human would come out and confirm my suspicion. If there's no response, then I might take a photo of the alien and walk away. After walking out, I'd wonder who to call about it.

If the alien started speaking to me in recognizable English, I'd feel completely sure that it's a prank, and I'd probably ask it some snarky questions before walking out.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Explode my social media.
    I wonder how many followers an alien picture would get me?
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Well, attempt to communicate with. Talk to a fair amount, endeavor to behave in a manner suggesting friendliness as appropriate for surrounding culture, try to start working out some pidgin. Be the primate being taught sign language.

Treat the whole situation with curiosity and calmness. Yes, it's very exciting, but don't want to scare anyone off (human or alien). Communicate with other humans in a way that will set them at ease. Basically, don't make any sudden moves, or provoke any fellow humans into making sudden moves. Strive to keep alien safe, and try to teach them a healthy caution/fear of humans, without fearing me, and without discouraging friendly interaction (basically same reasoning as, don't just jump into a strange wolf pack with friendly intentions, however neat of folk the wolves are).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Depending on relative tech levels, figure out some way to come out on top, or keep myself just ahead of it.

Is it bad that my first thought upon seeing the thread title was "The Captain Kirk interspecies communication act"? And I've never even watched a single episode of Star Trek.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Depending on relative tech levels, figure out some way to come out on top, or keep myself just ahead of it.

Is it bad that my first thought upon seeing the thread title was "The Captain Kirk interspecies communication act"? And I've never even watched a single episode of Star Trek.
    No, but it is bad that you've never seen an episode of Star Trek.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    No, but it is bad that you've never seen an episode of Star Trek.
    It's a downright tragedy.
    On topic, I'd say "Hello and welcome. I am sure you have a cultural legacy that are alien to us, and us likewise to you. I am sure we can find a way to share that. Perhaps, say, Agatha Christie's complete works for plans to whatever you used to get here."
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Without cultural context, even the darkest corners of 4chan are meaningless. The alien would be utterly immune to the worst shock images.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    So if they weren't planning on exterminating us before, you want to make sure it does happen?

Given OP's parameters'

1) Try and establish enough initial communication so they decide to use me for all further negotiations with earth.

2) Become the default first ambassador of humanity.

3) ....

4) Profit
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".