New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Your opinon on Tome of Battle

I personally use it in my campaigns, but I don't have any PCs who actually want to learn the subsystem and put it into use. What's your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Your opinon on Tome of Battle

I like it, the Crusader looks like a fun Class to play. Swordsage has two other variants, one of which very few are willing to discuss seriously. And Warblade is, wow, it's like a not boring version of Fighter.

Then there's the Maneuvers and Stances, so many interesting ways to attack with a weapon. Stances offer small bonuses all day long and are therefore awesome. I like breaking the game as Wizard, but ToB Classes get to do special crazy stuff all day long, without running out of powers.

Never underestimate how enjoyable constantly using powers can be.

It's the only book I have that I willingly broke my price limit for.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I hate Tome of Battle. It's nowhere near anime enough. In a game where everyone else is flying and shooting lasers and transforming into dragons, it lets you...poke a guy, or sometimes poke a guy twice. And you aren't even required to call out your attack, unlike every spell in the game. It's ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    What's your opinion?
    It's positive.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    It's positive.
    Are you Aladeen, or Aladeen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I dislike having semi-Vancian fighters, and the idea of having an entire set of classes intended to outdo anyone who wanted to play a warrior before the books came out is a little cruel.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I loved the book, and am tickled pink with how well Dreamscarred Press is managing Path of War thusfar.
    Avatar made by the fahhhbulous Akrim.elf

8. - Top - End - #8

I'm a fan. I actually liked it so much that I pre-ordered all the Path of War stuff from DSP. I feel like ToB gives a lot more options to martials, although I will admit that many of those options are still "whack a guy". But with ToB, you can whack people in more varied and useful ways!
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I hate Tome of Battle. It's nowhere near anime enough. In a game where everyone else is flying and shooting lasers and transforming into dragons, it lets you...poke a guy, or sometimes poke a guy twice. And you aren't even required to call out your attack, unlike every spell in the game. It's ridiculous.
    *slow clap* Nicely done.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I dislike having semi-Vancian fighters, and the idea of having an entire set of classes intended to outdo anyone who wanted to play a warrior before the books came out is a little cruel.
    You ban clerics? That seems a little harsh.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

...First time I've ever seen a sig-worthy post without it already being called out. May I?
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

12. - Top - End - #12

I hate the Player Handbook, far too anime. D&D is supposed to be about medieval fantasy, where characters die of cholera and toil away on the turnip harvest, not fight epic monsters and perform heroic deeds like some {scrubbed} Japanese cartoon character.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2014-09-08 at 05:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

It's one of my three favorite 3.5 splatbooks. I can generally find a use for some martial adept levels with almost any mundane build I'm considering. It adds a lot of fun to my gaming experience.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I love ToB to bits. It might just be my favorite D&D book. It has some sloppy editing in a few places, but that's 3.5 for you. In general, it's a fantastic resource that I want to be on the table in any 3.5 game, even if I don't plan on using anything out of it.

Would you have thought it cruel if the ToB classes had been printed in place of the Fighter, Paladin, and Monk in the PHB? Because the ways to play a warrior from before the book came out pretty much don't function alongside anything else that's even remotely magical.

Also, I really like the maneuver system. It doesn't feel vanican to me, it feels like martial arts, even if some of the disciplines/higher level maneuvers do a few unrealistic things.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Best book eva
    Pew pew

16. - Top - End - #16

I really like it, but I kinda dislike the maneuver schools were divided up. I just feel like some should be available to the other classes (like setting sun being available to warblades, Iron heart being available to crusaders......Swordsages get basically everything anyways, no beef there thematically.),and maybe they should be a little less magical and a bit more mystical, the obvious difference being how flashy they are, desert wind, I'm lookin at you.

But even more so, I think just throwing on more damage and making everything explode isn't really progressive seeing how high damage is already inflated.
    A thing I made! The Spirited Blade; warrior of the mind come by and tell me what you think.

May glory flow forever more to The Mad Hatter for bringing Haeros; Master of the Transcendant Style to my avatar box!

17. - Top - End - #17

Flumph

So you dislike that it makes martial characters more relevant?

For what it's worth, ToB classes actually multiclass really well with the core martial classes, there's just less incentive to take them to level 20 (not that there was much in the first place...).
    Last edited by Divide by Zero; 2014-09-07 at 07:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

It lets martial characters make a decision other than "power attack amount" and "target", so I love it. I typically play casters, but it's nice to be able to optimize a bit more without overshadowing other characters.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

One of the greatest subsystems in 3.5. Use of the book is always encouraged (though not required) at my table.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I use it, I like it. I don't love it.

The Tome of Battle give some much needed love to martial characters. I respect that. Unfortunately, it also has a ton of frustrations like needlessly complex refresh mechanics (Crusader), poorly defined boundaries (Iron Heart Surge), allowing skill checks to replace saves (this would be fine if the skill system weren't cracked wide open), and no sense of what an appropriate use of abilities outside of combat would look like.

All in all, 7/10 rating.
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    So you dislike that it makes martial characters more relevant?

For what it's worth, ToB classes actually multiclass really well with the core martial classes, there's just less incentive to take them to level 20 (not that there was much in the first place...).
    Let's not Rudisplork this thread by goading others, please. They said exactly what they dislike, why not just accept that as is?

I emphatically disagree with them, but doing so isn't going to somehow make debate of the type you're trying to start worthwhile.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I enjoy it, though ive only played a Warblade a few times and i really dont have much interest in playing the other two, maybe the Swordsage. Even though the Warblade is strictly better than the Fighter i still find myself playing Fighters more than Warblades, probably just familiarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have only 2 complaints about the system. It is great. Could have been better, but it is great.
    1) I prefer abilities not to be expended/unreadied.
    2) I prefer abilities the build together. ToB is more about active abilities(most maneuvers) than about passive abilities(just the stances).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

If I had the option I'd replace the fighter and the monk in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook with the Warblade and Swordsage without a second thought.* I love them that much. My favorite thing about the system (and I love psionics for the same reason): 1 initiate working alone = powerful, 2 initiates working together = powerful^2. The synergy between classes encourages teamwork among player characters.

*Well... that also assumes Tome of Battle would be appropriately edited before it was put into the Core Rulebook. Easily my biggest problem with the book.
    Last edited by Squirrel_Dude; 2014-09-07 at 07:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Dude View Post
    If I had the option I'd replace the fighter and the monk in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook with the Warblade and Swordsage without a second thought. I love them that much.
    If you work with PF, have you had the opportunity to look at the Path of War stuff? :)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by facelessminion View Post
    If you work with PF, have you had the opportunity to look at the Path of War stuff? :)
    I took part in the playtest. Can't wait to get the full .pdf on Tuesday.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

The fluff is very boring, although the crunch is good. I actually think some of the classes are a little too strong at low levels and this scares a lot of DMs away from using the book.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It's my favourite splat. I was skeptical when I first heard of it -- I am effing lazy and hate getting into new subsystems -- but this one is really worth the while. Of course it has its shortcomings, such as shoddy editing and some inconsistent stuff. But on the whole it's melee done right.

Oh and I never had the feeling that it was "too anime" or anything, and at this point I should add that I am not particularly fond of anime, so if it felt like that I would probably not like it. It does feel somewhat like Wuxia, though, but that's cool.

I generally prefer playing Melee types, and Warblade is my favourite melee class evar.

What's not to like about ToB:
    - Some maneuvers are downright broken, as in "they don't do what they should do, and do things they shouldn't"; primary candidate of course Iron Heart Surge. But there are fixes for that.
    - Martial Lore is another useless skill. Just ignore it.
    - Martial Scripts are ill-conceived, an utterly stupid idea. Ignore.
    - Let's better not talk about Weapons of Legacy.
    - some maneuvers have strange level ratings compared to the rest of the game. For instance, if you want Pounce... you can take 9 levels of Warblade and use Pounce as a maneuver once or twice in an encounter... or you can take 1 level of Barbarian and do it all the freaking time. It would make more sense as a level 3-4 maneuver.
    - Class design has some flaws. Crusader doesn't have a proper capstone, for instance. Warblade has some unnecessary shortcomings, such as the lack of Ranged weapon proficiencies or certain skills missing from the class list which would befit the "intelligent warrior" type. Also, the stance progressions are broken (especially for the Warblade).

That looks like a rather long list, but if you compare that to all the stuff that's great in this book, and realize that half the issues are solved simply by ignoring them, and the rest is easily fixed, it's really not a big deal.

Long story short, ToB is lovely. I wouldn't want to play 3.5 without it again, and its absence from Pathfinder is one of the main reasons why PF will never replace 3.5 as my preferred system.
    [Yes I know about PoW, but it's 3rd Party and none of the PF GMs I can play with will allow that.]
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The only thing that'd get me to consider playing 3.5 is Warriors & Wuxia, in my sig.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Dude View Post
    *Well... that also assumes Tome of Battle would be appropriately edited before it was put into the Core Rulebook. Easily my biggest problem with the book.
    Well, to be fair, I have a sneaking suspicion that WotC granted the 3e/3.5 writers Protection from Editors, trying to go the opposite direction of certain, more restraining individuals in TSR's upper echelons. *Cough*Lorraine Williams*conspicuous cough*, which, as a downside, meant that the books were poorly edited. As an upside, the game developers didn't have to make campaign settings (Spelljammer) purely out of rebellion. As another downside, the game developers didn't make stupid awesome campaign settings like Spelljammer.

That said, I've noticed that many gaming books released after 2001, with a few exceptions (Kudos, New World of Darkness), are full of typographical errors. I wonder if there's a reason for this?
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)