New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1569
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VI

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmosh View Post
    How do Jann generally feel about Prime humans?
    What do Jann communities generally get up to on the Prime?
    what is Jann?

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deathbymanga View Post
    what is Jann?
    Weaker genies.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    hmm, i wonder what kind of Genasi would result from a Janni and a Human

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Half-Janni would be the first step, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

None, presumably, because jann aren’t associated with any element. They are native outsiders who live on the Material Plane. By contrast, other genies are extraplanar and have a strong connection to a particular element.

When jann breed with humans or other humanoids, half-jann result, as explained by Coidzor. The template for them is found in Dragon 313 and Sandstorm.
    Last edited by Evolved Shrimp; 2016-03-20 at 07:14 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    Why do ghosts turn up on the Ethereal, and not the Astral? Wouldn't the Astral make more sense, since dead souls pass through it to get to the afterlife? What is it about the Ethereal that draws in the souls of ghosts?
    I'm sure I've done this question before. Ah well.

As Tzardok correctly guessed, a ghost is not moving on and is resisting the pull of the Astral Plane on its soul. It anchors itself to the Ethereal protomatter to keep from passing on, and the more powerful the soul imprinted thereupon, the higher the chance that it can reform itself if destroyed as long as the impetus for its hold on material existence remains.

How do Jann generally feel about Prime humans?
    I don't really think a generalization can be made here, there are so many tribes of jann and so many human cultures across so many worlds. Even how they feel about, say, the Calishites vs. the Zakharans would be quite different.

What do Jann communities generally get up to on the Prime?
    They're generally nomadic, with occasional involvement in trade with outsiders. They're herders who largely enjoy their privacy.

None. First, er, "occasion" would result in a half-jann, but thinning the bloodline any further would result in a humanoid with, perhaps, an unusual trait or two but not a genasi and nothing consistent.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Maybe smite-worthy questions but...
    -are there known examples of direct connections to other cosmologies apart from shadow travel? Portals/gates or such?
    -would it be possible for some large space (say a particularly mobile Demiplane or something) to 'transition cosmologies'... Moving through the deep shadow and joining the great wheel from abroad; or evacuating the great wheel to become its own mini-cosmology adrift in the deep shadow?

What was the first race to practice wizardry (or some Proto-wizardry of codified studious magic practice rather than innate abilities)? Aboleth? Studious dragons? Early outsiders?

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

How likely is it that Nerull was once mortal?
    Is anything known about his origins? Was he first worshipped on Greyhawk?

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Maybe smite-worthy questions
    Given the topic, I can't fathom why you'd think otherwise.

What was the first race to practice wizardry (or some Proto-wizardry of codified studious magic practice rather than innate abilities)? Aboleth? Studious dragons? Early outsiders?
    Unknown. Per afro-canon, the ancient gnomes (nomoi) were the first to study wizardry.

How likely is it that Nerull was once mortal?
    Extremely unlikely. Nerull was a deity before humans walked Oerth.

Is anything known about his origins?
    See above.

Was he first worshipped on Greyhawk?
    As far as we know, he was first worshiped on Oerth.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

so out of curioisity, what do you know about RWBY? how would aura and semblance be able to be fit into a sorta D&D system? I imagine it would be some flavor of incarnum, but what's your take on it?

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any examples of powerful/notable champions/entities of Good (or at least Neutral) that have a Negative Energy theme/base, kinda like Ragnorra is an example of Evil positive energy?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

12. - Top - End - #1482

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Are there any examples of powerful/notable champions/entities of Good (or at least Neutral) that have a Negative Energy theme/base, kinda like Ragnorra is an example of Evil positive energy?
    There's archliches and baelnorns, I guess, the good or good elven forms of lich.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Got me to read the Canonfire! page about her. I actually like the story hooks here more than with other Elder Evils I know about.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Please could you elaborate on the form that an elemental takes on its natural Plane? I'd been led to understand that the stats presented in the Monster Manual are only for what elementals appear as when they manifest on a different plane, and in their natural state they have a more abstract and spirit-like existence.
    Is that vaguely correct?

If so, are they vaguely analogous to the Material Plane 'spirits' that a Spirit Shaman communes with?

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

I've been working on a fanfic set around when Glasya took Malboge from Malagard, and I have some questions, mostly of the "is this vaguely compatible with canon" variety.

Since Glasya was born, does she have birthdays? Is there some plausible sense in which she could have a coming-of-age ceremony, after which she is expected to take up some position of diabolic power?

I think I've asked you this one before, but could a Deva be a member of the Harmonium? Or an Archon?

Does the following sound like a plausible ill-considered Harmonium plan: understand how love causes conflict in mortals by getting one of their members to fall in love under controlled conditions, and observing the results?

Are (some) Erinyes fallen celestials? Or do fallen celestials usually take more unique forms?

What happens to a devil's class levels when they're promoted? Could a more martial devil have reason to object to being promoted to a less martial form, or to hold out for a promotion that skips a few levels? (Say said devil is politically well-connected enough to refuse a promotion without this being suicide.)

More specifically, since I get the impression Fiendish Codex II's promotion tables are off, what forms can a barbazu be promoted to?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    I think I've asked you this one before, but could a Deva be a member of the Harmonium? Or an Archon?
    Yes, there are cases of exemplars becoming members of factions. IIRC Devas seldom become members, because they are to busy serving their powers.

Does the following sound like a plausible ill-considered Harmonium plan: understand how love causes conflict in mortals by getting one of their members to fall in love under controlled conditions, and observing the results?
    I don't think that love is in the focus of Harmonium "schemes".

Are (some) Erinyes fallen celestials? Or do fallen celestials usually take more unique forms?
    Depends on the writer, I think. FC2 says yes, they are lesser celstials that fell (or their children).

More specifically, since I get the impression Fiendish Codex II's promotion tables are off, what forms can a barbazu be promoted to?
    This should be the promotion diagram of 2e (or based on it).

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Even with the goal of eliminating it?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Even with the goal of eliminating it?
    I don't think that a faction trying to achieve a peaceful, harmonious world would try to eliminate love. Just look at that ascended succubus that married a paladin. Now weaponizing love, that I could imagine...

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ogre in the Playground

I could imagine the Fratenity of Order going through with such an experiment to try to quantify and understand love rationally and break it down into equations.

Another thing to remember is that factions are not monolithic (well, some are more than others) and even the Lawful factions know some degree of dissent, internal *ahem* factionalism and disagreement. If you absolutely need it for a story to make sense, you could write in a minority cell or group or individuals inside the Harmonium who've decided that passionate love has to be eliminated for harmony to be attained. I don't think anything supports it in canon, but it's not so much of a stretch either. After all, passionate love tends to be irrational and somewhat chaotic.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-04-07 at 03:55 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I don't think that a faction trying to achieve a peaceful, harmonious world would try to eliminate love.
    I’m not so sure about that… After all, there are quite a few examples of real-world political or religious movements that tried to achieve peace by violent means (no concrete examples, because that wouldn’t be fitting for this forum, but everybody can probably think of some).

Trying to achieve harmony by eliminating love doesn’t strike me as obviously more absurd. After all, passionate love is not exactly harmonious – it subjects the sufferer to irrational exuberance and depression, can motivate disrupting behavior, and oftentimes renders the afflicted less able to orderly participate in society.

It seems that at least a part of the Harmonium might conclude that the world they envision might be easier to achieve without passionate love leading people astray. And if that part is influential or powerful enough, they might just swing official Harmonium policy.
    Last edited by Evolved Shrimp; 2016-04-08 at 04:34 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ogre in the Playground

The demiplane the city of Union is in is weird. It's neither coexistent with nor coterminous with 'any other plane', yet magic works normally there, and portals function without an astral connection. Is there any explanation for this, or any other example of a demiplane that works the same way?

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    The demiplane the city of Union is in is weird. It's neither coexistent with nor coterminous with 'any other plane', yet magic works normally there, and portals function without an astral connection. Is there any explanation for this, or any other example of a demiplane that works the same way?
    *cough* Portal *cough*

How much of the Mewling has been described, beyond its name and function?

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    *cough* Portal *cough*
    Portals normally fail where astral travel is blocked or not possible in the first place...

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Ogre in the Playground

I was talking about the City of Portal, or whatever is called that other Sigil stand-in that is intentionally meant as a parody (as opposed to Union who does that unintentionally). I tried to find a reference, but I didn't manage to do it. I'm not even so sure it's named Portal anymore.

Anyway, it was more of a joke than a serious answer.

25. - Top - End - #1495

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    After all, passionate love tends to be irrational and somewhat chaotic.
    Indeed, people just falling in love willy-nilly with whoever, whenever. This is UNACCEPTABLE!

And, of course, naturally, because this is the Harmonium and they're meddling with things that are beyond their ken after not having learned from the last time they messed up the multiverse, bad things happen.

Well, I just got you the main Harmonium figure behind this and presented the ultimate result, have fun plotting that out.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-04-08 at 10:56 AM.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

So some questions of morality brought up the Wall of the Faithless. My question is: how do people from other planes regard that particularity of the Realms?
    I could see Faerunians being pitied by the interplanar community. "Yeah we have it rough in Athas, sure, but at least my soul isn't held hostage"
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

You do know that not even the souls of the dead leave Athas? They get stuck in the Grey and just fade away with time. So no, not even in that way is living in Faerûn worse than living in Athas.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

You do know that not even the souls of the dead leave Athas? They get stuck in the Grey and just fade away with time. So no, not even in that way is living in Faerûn worse than living in Athas.
    That's better than the wall in that at least it is equal for all and not dependent on sucking up to some god's satisfaction. Yeah it isn't great, but it isn't arbitrary, and it isn't torture (unlike the wall)
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2016-04-09 at 06:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    That's better than the wall in that at least it is equal for all and not dependent on sucking up to some god's satisfaction. Yeah it isn't great, but it isn't arbitrary, and it isn't torture (unlike the wall)
    That is a philosophical difference here. I personally believe that the Faerûnian way is less horriffying than what happens to Athasians, because it doesn't happen to everyone, because there are ways to evade that destiny. (And I have to say that being a lost soul without hope to ever reach any destination or to come back, just slowly dissolving into metaphorical dust, is also torture, even if it is more of the mind-numbing kind.)

30. - Top - End - #1500

NecromancerGuy

An Athasian who learned of FR would probably prefer to go elsewhere, since they're probably not comfortable with gods as much as most would be due to not having any.

Of course, an Athasian who learned of FR would mostly be happy to not be anywhere near Athas anymore.

A primer from Oerth would probably view the Wall of the Faithless as a rather klunky affair, since many of their deities are quite similar or shared with Toril, and get along just fine without it.

The Athar would hate it completely and be extra hostile to FR powers, I should think, though they apparently don't pay enough attention to Toril to have found out about the Time of Troubles and, thus, Ao, even before he started erasing knowledge of himself.

Eberronians who wandered into the greater planar cosmology would probably be ecstatic at not having to deal with Dolurrh.

Since we've gotten onto the subject of Planar Metropolises and all...

Just what is required for a Planar Metropolis? Both to form in the first place and to prevent it from becoming a front for the Blood War/destroyed if it's accessible to more than one alignment extreme.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-04-09 at 07:33 PM.
    Homebrew