New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

I really doubt that Alexandrite would be able to take on a Diamond, for two reasons.

First, it took a whole rebellion to defeat Pink Diamond. If the Crystal Gems could slap together a big ugly fusion and rival a Diamond's power, they would have won much faster, especially since they still had Rose. And second, Alexandrite was having trouble with Malachite, and Malachite is a dysfunctional fusion of uncooperative gems. Regular gems, at that - more powerful than your average bear, but Jasper was weaker than Garnet on her own, and probably weaker than Rose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

agree with you there. most likely any fusion would be too clumsy and scattered to take on a dimond. Consider it a laser vs a flashlight. the flashlight might be able to make it's beam really, really big by constantly amping up it's power, but the bigger it gets the weaker it's beam becomes. a laser on the other hand is pinpoint and focused, a laser that's the same size as the flashlight would just overpower it completely.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #573

Eh, I think you could come up with a diamond-power fusion. For example, Garnet is basically a single gem. Only extraordinary circumstances cause her to unfuse. Even Pearl and Amethyst say that when they fuse, they fuse with Garnet, not with Ruby and Sapphire. And Garnet is a very powerful gem, stronger than Jasper.

So imagine you took Rose Quartz, who is already stronger than Garnet, and baked her into a fusion as stable as Garnet's. With a gem as strong as her. You'd end up with a fusion stronger than Malachite, plus extraordinarily stable.

And then fuse that with something just like it. Two mega-Garnets. And get that relationship as stable as Garnet's bond. Then you'd have something that could give Diamonds a run for their money.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #574
    Firbolg in the Playground

Idle wonderings, do you guys think Garnet's voice actress knew Garnet was a fusion from the very beginning?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Post Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

Honestly, Malachite had the advantage over Alexandrite because

1: They were fighting in water, which is basically like a boxer fighting a swordsman but staying within perfect stabbing distance at all times

2: Malachite existed as a being for several months, getting used to her body and abilities. I doubt that, even over thousands of years, Alexandrite existed for a collective of more than two weeks. Hell, she doesn't even have her own weapon.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2017-01-09 at 05:35 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

6. - Top - End - #576

I'm pretty sure that a Diamond would be able to curbstomp Malachite even if she was standing in water. You don't get to be a giant woman in charge of a star-spanning empire of conquest by being a wimp.

Speaking of which, has anyone done a size comparison between the various gems? Size:power seems to be a pretty consistent ratio (with Lapis being the only outlier). We could use Pearl as a unit of measurement.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

7. - Top - End - #577
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Idle wonderings, do you guys think Garnet's voice actress knew Garnet was a fusion from the very beginning?
    I have no idea.

Speaking of Garnet, this is a neat tweet of early concept art.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I have no idea.

Speaking of Garnet, this is a neat tweet of early concept art.
    Gasp! That picture also spoils Steven Universe's entire plot arc!

It's going to have a setup, a body, a climax, and an end! Now we know everything.

9. - Top - End - #579

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    100% yes. It's the type of thing you'd say to help your actor REALLY know how to properly deliver her lines.

10. - Top - End - #580

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post

It's going to have a setup, a body, a climax, and an end! Now we know everything.
    Nah, that's just early concept. Steven Universe will go on forever.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

11. - Top - End - #581
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post

I just hope we get to see the end eventually. Not even talking about cancellation. As good a show as SU is, I really hope it gets to a finale rather than just lingering on forever, introducing new, bigger enemies or suffering a case of 'unreachable bad guy'.
    I.e. "You may have beaten the Diamonds, but little did you know that the gem forces were all that was holding back the metal armada! Muahahaha!" or "You think you've won? That was merely my shard, a body-double, with only a fraction of my true power!"
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Where do you get the idea that Stevonnie is a leech (or is leeching, at any rate)?
    Connie is not a gem
    Ergo Connie has no gem powers
    In order to increase power with a fusion, you have to get more power from somewhere
    Ergo Steven munches on Connie's fancy Earth life energy... stuff.

It's a case of 1 + 0 != 2. There has to be something that Connie can specifically contribute to that scene stealing creepy Mary Sue fusion. The Earth and its inhabitants having some kind of magical life energy that can power gems is supported by this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm pretty sure that a Diamond would be able to curbstomp Malachite even if she was standing in water. You don't get to be a giant woman in charge of a star-spanning empire of conquest by being a wimp.

Speaking of which, has anyone done a size comparison between the various gems? Size:power seems to be a pretty consistent ratio (with Lapis being the only outlier). We could use Pearl as a unit of measurement.
    Well Pink Diamond was taken down at some point. I don't think the Diamonds are invincible, but their natures of their powers aren't well defined.

Hm... I think Malachite would probably beat a Diamond, assuming she's the most powerful Fusion so far.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Connie is not a gem
    Ergo Connie has no gem powers
    In order to increase power with a fusion, you have to get more power from somewhere
    Ergo Steven munches on Connie's fancy Earth life energy... stuff.

It's a case of 1 + 0 != 2. There has to be something that Connie can specifically contribute to that scene stealing creepy Mary Sue fusion. The Earth and its inhabitants having some kind of magical life energy that can power gems is supported by this.
    ......Or y'know, fusions just work on Anime New Form Logic and get more powerful because its a different form? because I'm pretty sure that SU has anime inspirations:

-Protagonist eats a lot of food. check
    -protagonist lives with three or more female people that are not blood relation. check.
    -Protagonist can fuse with other people. check
    -rather than using guns in a modern setting, the protagonists instead opt to use fancy or impractical magical versions of medieval weapons. check
    -protagonists are stronger and faster than ordinary humans and constantly make high jumps and actions that cause collateral damage to their surroundings. check
    -everyone has a special power for a random reason relating to the special thing on the show. check
    -antagonists are cosmic overlords who rarely get to use their full power, and the only time they did it was an attack that covered an entire planet. check
    -lesser antagonists are not just fought against, but befriended after their reason for fighting is shown to be wrong. check.
    -protagonist undergoes training arcs. check.
    -biggest fusion fights resemble godzilla or giant mecha fights. check.
    -has an otaku parody. check.
    -protagonist is an inheritor of a great legacy that he learns more about through his adventures. check.
    -the universe is centered around badasses fighting each other over a status quo that has existed for thousands of years and the protagonist's coming changes things through his willingness to spare his opponents. check.

I think SU is just that anime dude. Its just anime enough to have fusions be powerful because they're fusions.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #584
    Barbarian in the Playground

The strength of a fusion comes not just from the gems, but also from the emotional bond between them. Yes, this is a setting where emotional connection can directly translate to physical power. What did you think the whole point of Garnet's "Made of Love" song was? If the emotional bond between two people is strong, the fusion between them will be stronger than they are individually, even if one of them isn't a gem in the first place.

15. - Top - End - #585

Well Pink Diamond was taken down at some point. I don't think the Diamonds are invincible, but their natures of their powers aren't well defined.

Hm... I think Malachite would probably beat a Diamond, assuming she's the most powerful Fusion so far.
    Pink Diamond was defeated by a whole rebellion worth of gems. I don't think putting together two regular gems would be enough.

Then again, it's possible that hetero fusion has never ever actually been tried before Garnet. That seems like the only possible way that the Diamonds haven't all been defeated yet.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Pink Diamond was defeated by a whole rebellion worth of gems. I don't think putting together two regular gems would be enough.

Then again, it's possible that hetero fusion has never ever actually been tried before Garnet. That seems like the only possible way that the Diamonds haven't all been defeated yet.
    I don't know.....why would Rose Quartz be singled out as the one who shattered Pink Diamond then? I don't remember anything in the show specifically saying that you need an entire army to take on one Diamond, just that Rose Quartz shattered Pink Diamond as if she did it with her own hand and everyone treating it as specifically Roses Thing That She Did. Everyone acts as if Diamonds are really powerful, showing instead of telling, but their actual capabilities of whether its needed for an entire army to take them down is never stated, and I doubt Rose was able to convert all the Gems to her side before the war ever started, so I imagine that most of the fighting was between Pink Diamond's forces and the Crystal Gem forces, with the rest of Homeworld Gems not considering it as big of a deal until Rose shattered Pink Diamond and thus prompting the Diamond's song-like attack that corrupted all the gems in response.

I mean, both Jasper and The One-Eyed Ruby were veterans of that war and clearly fought on Pink Diamond's side. If shattering a Pink Diamond was as hard as you say, you'd have to eliminate all other forces before that could occur, because any interference would diminish the needed amount of Gems to fight the big one. Pink Diamond clearly had forces of her own to fight against the Crystal Gems, yet Rose Quartz was the one able to defeat Pink Diamond- so much so that everyone remembers it as Rose Quartz specifically being the one doing it of her own decision and efforts. Its far more likely that the Diamonds need armies to fight wars like everyone else and it was so hard to get rid of her mostly because Rose Quartz needed forces to counter Pink Diamond's force like anyone else so she could get to Pink Diamond to shatter her.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

The Diamonds have armies. Lots and lots of armies. That's the reason that they haven't been defeated yet. It's not a simple matter of "walk up to Pink Diamond, punch her in the face, war over" - because if Alexandrite tries to walk up, she's going to be opposed by twenty five-Jasper fusions, and then where is she at?

18. - Top - End - #588

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    The Diamonds have armies. Lots and lots of armies. That's the reason that they haven't been defeated yet. It's not a simple matter of "walk up to Pink Diamond, punch her in the face, war over" - because if Alexandrite tries to walk up, she's going to be opposed by twenty five-Jasper fusions, and then where is she at?
    That's not the issue. The issue is those twenty five-Jasper fusions deciding that they'd rather be the ones in charge, and staging a palace coup.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

so... i just had a scary thought...

Remember how Jasper and Eyeball kept calling Steven "Rose Quartz" after seeing his powers / gem?

Now, this is really dumb and i hope it's never done... but what if Steven's mom never shattered pink Diamond? What if it was some poorly-written plot where Steven and maybe connie somehow wind up time-traveling back to the war, and maybe more due to Connie's warrior mindset then much else, Stevonnie is the one who shatters pink Dimond. But because she has only a Rose Quartz gem and Rose Quartz weapons, the Gems only see her as a Roze Quartz and the blame is put onto Steven's mother?

Reeeally hope that's not the case since that's would severely undermine a lot of things and probably make the show jump the shark... but at the same time i could see it happening.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #590

We haven't seen time travel yet, and that kind of thing tends to be introduced pretty early on.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

That's not the issue. The issue is those twenty five-Jasper fusions deciding that they'd rather be the ones in charge, and staging a palace coup.
    That's what all the indoctrination, training, and compartmentalization is for. A Diamond doesn't have to be physically stronger than her entire army. She only has to be physically stronger than whatever tiny percentage of that army is likely to try to suddenly attack her, minus all of the loyalists who would fight that somebody.

For a comparsion, look at all of the nations throughout history that have included bodyguards for their leaders, i.e. most of them. In nearly every real-world situation, no ruler is up to fighting off all of their own palace guards, and yet plenty of leaders get through their entire reigns without getting murdered.

Of course, some leaders do get murdered by their own guards. Their indoctrination was obviously not good enough.

22. - Top - End - #592

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Of course, some leaders do get murdered by their own guards. Their indoctrination was obviously not good enough.
    Yeah, that's literally my point. This is an empire that has lasted longer than human civilization and possibly the human race. If the Diamonds were not physically stronger than a mere Jasper fusion, their regime would not be this stable.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

We haven't seen time travel yet, and that kind of thing tends to be introduced pretty early on.
    Do you not remember the whole episode who's plot was that Steven travels back in time and messes with himself and others?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Do you not remember the whole episode who's plot was that Steven travels back in time and messes with himself and others?
    I guess not. Which one was that?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

thankfully "Steven and the Stevens" was limited to a single day.

the time Garnet gave Steven her future vision so he could re-live the experiance of trying and failing to get connie home again and again could possibly work as well. though in all truth it was being in the past seeing future after future after future, rather then a traditional groundhog day thing.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #596

Oh man, I think I actually never saw that episode!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #597
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh man, I think I actually never saw that episode!
    It's fairly forgettable. I'm hoping the time travel was just an example of early episode weirdness and not something they plan on reusing.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ......Or y'know, fusions just work on Anime New Form Logic and get more powerful because its a different form? because I'm pretty sure that SU has anime inspirations:

-Protagonist eats a lot of food. check
    -protagonist lives with three or more female people that are not blood relation. check.
    -Protagonist can fuse with other people. check
    -rather than using guns in a modern setting, the protagonists instead opt to use fancy or impractical magical versions of medieval weapons. check
    -protagonists are stronger and faster than ordinary humans and constantly make high jumps and actions that cause collateral damage to their surroundings. check
    -everyone has a special power for a random reason relating to the special thing on the show. check
    -antagonists are cosmic overlords who rarely get to use their full power, and the only time they did it was an attack that covered an entire planet. check
    -lesser antagonists are not just fought against, but befriended after their reason for fighting is shown to be wrong. check.
    -protagonist undergoes training arcs. check.
    -biggest fusion fights resemble godzilla or giant mecha fights. check.
    -has an otaku parody. check.
    -protagonist is an inheritor of a great legacy that he learns more about through his adventures. check.
    -the universe is centered around badasses fighting each other over a status quo that has existed for thousands of years and the protagonist's coming changes things through his willingness to spare his opponents. check.

I think SU is just that anime dude. Its just anime enough to have fusions be powerful because they're fusions.
    Read up on your DBZ. That's the basis for fusion, to the point where Smoky rips her line's from Gojita. Fusion is dependent on the power of the parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellindsey View Post
    The strength of a fusion comes not just from the gems, but also from the emotional bond between them. Yes, this is a setting where emotional connection can directly translate to physical power. What did you think the whole point of Garnet's "Made of Love" song was? If the emotional bond between two people is strong, the fusion between them will be stronger than they are individually, even if one of them isn't a gem in the first place.
    life magic. Leeches. Different terms for the same truth. The energy doesn't come from magical love power. Garnet is strong because she's two gems with complimentary abilities. The love part is largely a contributor of the stability of the fusion, and Garnet thinks it's the best.

Love isn't the only to make a strong fusion. The, on the other hand we have Connie. Love doesn't make a fusion strong. Connie, without magical life energy, is just a sack of organs that happens to find Steven agreeable. This life energy is used to make gems, so it's the same power that makes a fusion better.

What is it really? I don't know. We don't need love to make a gem or a fusion, though.

Malachite isn't two regular gems. It's the strongest, most impressive Jasper, with possibly the last era 1 Lapis, who is exceptionally strong on this particular planet. Malachite is a perfect storm as far as Earth based fusions go.

Adding up disparate abilities would likely make better fusions. I do wonder why it's banned. The show seems to imply extended fusion is bad for the independence of the constituent gems. Maybe the effect is worse on different gems? The Diamonds might consider such a fusion a threat, but they mostly seem to think everything is beneath them.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2017-01-10 at 01:51 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

29. - Top - End - #599

Adding up disparate abilities would likely make better fusions. I do wonder why it's banned. The show seems to imply extended fusion is bad for the independence of the constituent gems. Maybe the effect is worse on different gems? The Diamonds might consider such a fusion a threat, but they mostly seem to think everything is beneath them.
    Is hetero fusion banned? I probably need to rewatch that episode, but "how dare you fuse with a member of my court?" seems to be a condemnation of the act, not of its specifics.

Maybe a society as regimented as Homeworld probably gets confused about the new types of gems that are created out of a hetero fusion? "What is a Garnet? We do not have a listed purpose for Garnets. Therefore, Garnet should not exist." And they never came up with it themselves because "We need strong fighters, let's stack our existing fighters together" makes sense and they didn't see the need to push it further.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Read up on your DBZ. That's the basis for fusion, to the point where Smoky rips her line's from Gojita. Fusion is dependent on the power of the parts.
    Fusion might come from DBZ, where the power of its parts. Fusion in Steven Universe is different.
    Claiming that fusion in this show works exactly like fusion in DBZ is like saying that Garnet hitting things is exactly like boxing, and that the rules of boxing apply to Garnet.

Gems might be some sort of parasitic beings (growing gems in Kindergartens seems to drain life-force out of the planet), or they might not. If they are, fusion might or might not be some sort of a parasitic relationship in some cases, instead of symbiotic.

But as far as the show goes, fusion is generally shown in a positive way, and as a good thing, and as a symbiotic, co-operative thing. Leeching is a negative thing, so it'd seem to be against this show's message, so I don't think Stevonnie is a leech of any kind, or a parasite of any kind, or consuming any sort of finite resource or causing any sort of damage to Earth.