New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 10: La Li Lu Le Lo

Ultimately, i feel happy remembering that the comic is not about the events, but the characters.

I like seeing Bubble grow out of her shell. I like Claire and Marten developping their relationship through tentative trust building.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

This aint rocket science or AI science or Cops & Robbers.
    The whole point of the plot arc is to have two characters with traumatic memories and trust issues to grow closer.
    In other words, to get Bubbles and Faye into bed together.

Or would you prefer more views of Steve eating cereal naked?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    This aint rocket science or AI science or Cops & Robbers.
    The whole point of the plot arc is to have two characters with traumatic memories and trust issues to grow closer.
    In other words, to get Bubbles and Faye into bed together.

I liked most of this arc, because I felt it was depicting a situation with no perfect answer, with hard choices being made by flawed individuals who would have to live with the consequences of their choices. That kind of thing is perfectly welcome in QC. Even the comic right before, where the author made the super-AI they know declare that it was probably beyond their ability to deal with, it was going well. And then the Diabolus Ex Machina showed up, like a little devil popping up over Faye's shoulder to offer a deal too good to be true that has as-of-yet to have any real consequences.

All the moping and doping around in this arc? Yeah, it's probably pointless. Faye and Bubbles will have "lost" their jobs, in exchange for getting new jobs at the now-legal bot fights under new, more friendly management; the ******* who had Bubbles under her thumb never really had her motivation explained, but who cares because she's going to jail now; from the rookie cop's perspective the buddy-cop movie that is her life just got cut off an hour in to have somebody just show up and solve the problem for seemingly no reason and requiring no payment or favor in exchange.

The high stakes and consequences of this entire arc were making it interesting, because it meant the characters actually have to deal with a real problem. They've done this kind of thing before, fairly well even; Faye's alcoholism and depression, Dora's trust issues, Marten's invertebrate nature...all things that have never been permanently solved, or at the very least solved very slowly. But here? "Oh here, let me just solve this problem for you in every single possible aspect, then disappear into the mist like a shadow in the night". Bubbles lost her memories, yes...but it turns out that those memories were always lost, so she's literally exactly where she started: not having those memories, and not having any chance of getting them back. Her situation has improved in that the lack of her memories is no longer being used to force her cooperation, but nothing's really been lost except the illusion of possibly regaining them.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #664
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah mysterious super AI was a weird resolution, especially since she didn't even get her memories, she might have as well come to terms with getting it back not being worth getting blackmailed for years or something. (Though about the idea of station solving the encryption, station is not secret any encryption will be made with super AIs in mind since it is easy to raise the time requirement especially in scenarios where you don't have to frequently encrypt and decrypt something, so I would have found that odd. Granted it could have been hand waved as him knowing a theoretical weakness of the algo.) I wonder whether the secret AI will really have a larger role or whether he just got bored of the plotline.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I'm wondering if it's possible that spookybot is all a dream one of the characters is having, and when they wake up, it will all still be to be done, with CW still a threat, the memories still maybe there somewhere.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I'm wondering if it's possible that spookybot is all a dream one of the characters is having, and when they wake up, it will all still be to be done, with CW still a threat, the memories still maybe there somewhere.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd feel any better knowing the last several comics have literally been wasted. There's a reason that "it was all a dream" is such a despised cliche.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd feel any better knowing the last several comics have literally been wasted. There's a reason that "it was all a dream" is such a despised cliche.
    Yeah, but then we wouldn't have an omipotent omniscient spybot running the place, which I think would be just about the better alternative, though not by a huge margin.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Colossus in the Playground

Steve eating cereal vs Basilisk knitting - the ultimate standoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #670

BarbarianGuy

Bad timing. 'Questionable Content 11: Big ol' Spoiler and Some Flame Decals' would have been a fine title.

I also approve of tricked-out Bubs.
    The Giant

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

All this build up to be concluded with a litteral Deus Ex Machina. In every sense of the phrase. All that's missing is the Greek Chorus to tell us exactly what everyone is doing and thinking.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, I guess only time will tell if it was a Deus Ex Machina solution to a problem that didn't even need one, or if it's some setup for something to come.

13. - Top - End - #673

Okay, 15Feb2017, wondering about those jars.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obligatory mad science? Hand and Eye of Vecna? Hand of the Doctor, brain of the Master (mwahaha!)?

14. - Top - End - #674

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Other than preparing dinner for moochy dogs, why would Spookybot(s) have a kitchen?
    The Giant

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So Bubbles knows who Spookybot was, or at least could make an educated guess without much convincing of it, while Station who's just admitted to be among the most powerful AIs on the planet has no clue whatsoever?

Something doesn't add up there.

16. - Top - End - #676

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    So Bubbles knows who Spookybot was, or at least could make an educated guess without much convincing of it, while Station who's just admitted to be among the most powerful AIs on the planet has no clue whatsoever?

Station probably started as a much earlier version of AI. Even with upgrades, he still is a comparative primitive and, while powerful, not the brightest.

Bubs is a later version than Station.

Spookybot(s) are the very recent product of a highly compressed evolutionary process.
    The Giant

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Other than preparing dinner for moochy dogs, why would Spookybot(s) have a kitchen?
    You're such a robophobe. You think because they're an AI they'd have no human friends they'd invite for dinner? Shame on you.

What educated guess? She made some simile about the ocean and that's it. Station was probably trying for a more decisive answer instead of that.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

When they said "I think you know who we are, and we don't lie" and she immediatly went with "Alright then, lets dig around in my brain." She had to have had some idea at that point.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

When they said "I think you know who we are, and we don't lie" and she immediatly went with "Alright then, lets dig around in my brain." She had to have had some idea at that point.
    She's mysterious enough that the most powerful AI in the more normal cast has no idea what she is, but un-mysterious enough that Bubbles knows just enough to trust her digging around in Bubbles' brain without knowing enough to actually give the audience any meaningful knowledge of who they are. DEM's character description may as well be "she's terribly mysterious and powerful, with her power only exceeded by her mystery".

EDIT: I don't see what's so difficult to understand about her character, this is absolutely in keeping with everything else that we know about her: namely, that she's a lazy plot device.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2017-02-15 at 05:39 AM.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #680
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's a bit of a kludge, but do note that Bubbles is ex-special forces. It's not totally impossible that she once had high enough security clearance, or a bit of shadowy back-story, to give her access to information that hasn't been passed to Station. Need to Know vs. mission-specific stuff and all that.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Spinner View Post
    It's a bit of a kludge, but do note that Bubbles is ex-special forces. It's not totally impossible that she once had high enough security clearance, or a bit of shadowy back-story, to give her access to information that hasn't been passed to Station. Need to Know vs. mission-specific stuff and all that.
    A possibility, I'll grant you, but a bit of a stretch I think. Still, we'll have to wait to see what explanation Jeff gives.

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    A possibility, I'll grant you, but a bit of a stretch I think. Still, we'll have to wait to see what explanation Jeff gives.
    I'm still rooting for Team Allosaurus, myself.

23. - Top - End - #683

Spoiler
    Show
    Spookybot's body is clearly much more advanced than a typical AI chassis, to the extent that they speak with an "organic" speech bubble. It's not too far-fetched to assume one or both of two things:
    a) Spookybots gain energy through chemical conversion of fats and carbohydrates, rather than through plugging into the mains
    b) Spookybot bodies possess sensors similar to taste buds, or other sensors that can appreciate food (such as how Bubbles smells tea)
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #684

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spookybot's body is clearly much more advanced than a typical AI chassis, to the extent that they speak with an "organic" speech bubble. It's not too far-fetched to assume one or both of two things:
    a) Spookybots gain energy through chemical conversion of fats and carbohydrates, rather than through plugging into the mains
    b) Spookybot bodies possess sensors similar to taste buds, or other sensors that can appreciate food (such as how Bubbles smells tea)
    Dont forget pintsize used to eat like, all the time. Sure it sucked for marten having to clean him up, but then he only had a basic companion ai body thing (minus the laser)So between bubbles and pintsize, we have plenty of evidence that some ais enjoy the experience of eating/drinking.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

I zoom in on the bottles as close as I can, study them carefully, and I can say, definitively...

I got nothing.

The Spookybots DO have interesting taste in decorating, though. And it's a bad idea to allow your dogs to be right there in the kitchen mooching, because of the risk of tripping / spilling of hot fluids.

On another matter, something to consider. Spookybot didn't HAVE to do this in this way. By being so open with Bubbles and Faye, friends of a friend of Station, they made sure Station and his contemporaries would find out there was a new big fish in town, bigger than any of them. I'm thinking this is less a Deus Ex Machina, than setting up a future plot line.

26. - Top - End - #686

Another strange quirk of the decorating is that the skull appears to be propped up by an upside-down bookend, carefully balanced on two points.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I zoom in on the bottles as close as I can, study them carefully, and I can say, definitively...

I got nothing.

The Spookybots DO have interesting taste in decorating, though. And it's a bad idea to allow your dogs to be right there in the kitchen mooching, because of the risk of tripping / spilling of hot fluids.

On another matter, something to consider. Spookybot didn't HAVE to do this in this way. By being so open with Bubbles and Faye, friends of a friend of Station, they made sure Station and his contemporaries would find out there was a new big fish in town, bigger than any of them. I'm thinking this is less a Deus Ex Machina, than setting up a future plot line.
    I would rather he didn't, TBH. Leave it as a poorly contrived Deus Ex Machina and torment us no more.

Also, I just realized that Corpse Witch was swearing, violently, in AI speak while being tortured.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2017-02-15 at 03:20 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #688

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Another strange quirk of the decorating is that the skull appears to be propped up by an upside-down bookend, carefully balanced on two points.
    Is that a Homo habilis skull?

and an 1853 Enfield musket?
    The Giant

29. - Top - End - #689
    Pixie in the Playground

Does this qualify as a Reckoning with a capital R?

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Butts Disease strikes again.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”