New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 10: La Li Lu Le Lo

So does this dialogue sound like Eve talking to Wall-E? I amused myself by making it sound that way in my head when I read it.

I am also fond of the way Bubbles is blushing in the last panel. Her quips in this scenario's previous strip were perfectly in keeping with her character and very amusing as a counterpoint to Faye devouring the romance like a hungry lioness after a wounded wildebeest.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

I'd never name my plant.. Because I know I'd kill it. Also, I'd have to decide on a name first.
    Also also... Arrfur? Seriously? Is that the English equivalent of Bello? (ger. bellen - to bark)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #813
    Firbolg in the Playground

I named the only plant I ever cared for.

In Quebec french, "to plant" ("planter") also means "to beat up".

So i named my plant Hal Gill. So i could say "J'ai planté Hal Gill" (I beat up Hal Gill)

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'd never name my plant.. Because I know I'd kill it. Also, I'd have to decide on a name first.
    Also also... Arrfur? Seriously? Is that the English equivalent of Bello? (ger. bellen - to bark)
    Arf, yes. Its usually used for higher pitched barks, though not Chihuahua levels, which are described as yips or yaps.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #815

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The English words for dog sounds usually are examples of onomatopoeia. I guess somebody had a dog once that made an "arf" sound. I've never heard one that came close to this though.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I named the only plant I ever cared for.

In Quebec french, "to plant" ("planter") also means "to beat up".

So i named my plant Hal Gill. So i could say "J'ai planté Hal Gill" (I beat up Hal Gill)
    Tres bien. (Cannot easily put accented characters with my keyboard).

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thialfi View Post
    The English words for dog sounds usually are examples of onomatopoeia. I guess somebody had a dog once that made an "arf" sound. I've never heard one that came close to this though.
    Little yappy dogs make almost exactly that sound. High pitched "ARF!", with the A sounding the same as in "Aye-aye"

Edit: Apparently I fail at reading the thread, and this was already mentioned. Carry on, just ignore the man behind the curtain, I was never here...
    Last edited by Rodin; 2017-03-10 at 02:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Where did you get "Arrfur"? As the comic stands now, the plant's name is "Arthur". You know, after the legendary king of the Britons.

(Arthur Snapdragon?)

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Where did you get "Arrfur"? As the comic stands now, the plant's name is "Arthur". You know, after the legendary king of the Britons.
    The comic usually has a last quasi-joke written under the last panel.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

Did you miss Claire's second speech bubble in the last panel or something?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #821

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Did you miss Claire's second speech bubble in the last panel or something?
    I did.

Though it says "Arfthur".

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

I strongly hope Brun is wrong here.

I get the feeling that if Renee was interested in someone she'd get even more annoying and I actually like Elliot.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

Hm. I hadn't considered that as a possible explanation of Renee's irritating behavior. I wonder if it's true.

14. - Top - End - #824

That does totally NOT reflect the Fayes/Marten relationship.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

That's some depression spaghetti right there. Can't wait for tomorrow so the comic isn't showing the saddest possible form of pasta.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Colossus in the Playground

Seriously, I have yet to ever meet someone who expresses their romantic or sexual interest in someone by being a jerk. Or maybe I have and its just never gotten past the jerk stage? Hmm, maybe every time someone is a total ass to me, I should try to kiss them and find out what happens!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Seriously, I have yet to ever meet someone who expresses their romantic or sexual interest in someone by being a jerk. Or maybe I have and its just never gotten past the jerk stage? Hmm, maybe every time someone is a total ass to me, I should try to kiss them and find out what happens!
    I rather suspect they would self destruct, which would admittedly resolve your problem one way or another.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #828
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Or possibly Mace you. That would also resolve your dilemma.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Isn't sexual harassment hilarious when a woman does it to a man? Ha ha ha. So quirky. ha.

Seriously, I hate her so much.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Isn't sexual harassment hilarious when a woman does it to a man? Ha ha ha. So quirky. ha.

I also hate that Jeph apparently thinks this is good reading.

Seriously just have Renee get hit by a bus and then focus on Brun rooming with Hanners or something.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, here's my hope: Jim was in the shop early, sees this, doesn't think it's funny, and fires Renee for sexual harassment. Because that's what she's doing here.

22. - Top - End - #832

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Well, here's my hope: Jim was in the shop early, sees this, doesn't think it's funny, and fires Renee for sexual harassment. Because that's what she's doing here.
    Rene then picks up a job as another Robot mech, and starts a Robotwar rivalry with Fayes/Bubble

23. - Top - End - #833

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Rene then picks up a job as another Robot mech, and starts a Robotwar rivalry with Fayes/Bubble
    I would welcome this plotline instead of whatever it is that we have now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post

I mean, I'm not a legal expert, but my gut says it probably wouldn't be sexual harassment if he was cool with it. Mind you, I don't he'll be cool with it, I'm just saying that his reaction thus far is more 'surprise' than 'disagreement', and his uninfluenced consent is an important factor. "Sex is like boxing: if both people didn't fully agree to participate, one of them is committing a crime".

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I would welcome this plotline instead of whatever it is that we have now.
    I guess in a "anything is better than nothing" kinda way. *shrug*

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I mean, I'm not a legal expert, but my gut says it probably wouldn't be sexual harassment if he was cool with it. Mind you, I don't he'll be cool with it, I'm just saying that his reaction thus far is more 'surprise' than 'disagreement', and his uninfluenced consent is an important factor. "Sex is like boxing: if both people didn't fully agree to participate, one of them is committing a crime".
    So you think if I walk up to a female co-worker and tell her "Hey, I need you to take off your shirt", it would be ok, because I can say "Hey, I thought she might be cool with it. That makes it alright, doesn't it?"

26. - Top - End - #836

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post

I guess in a "anything is better than nothing" kinda way. *shrug*
    In the same way that it isn't theft when I take someones stuff but they don't mind. Though even if he is that doesn't necessarily stop it from being work place inappropriate.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Troll in the Playground

People are saying, "Sexual harassment". I'm thinking, "New uniform" or some other innocuous explanation. Renee's not my favorite character, but trying to ogle the Elliot Chest for cheap thrills doesn't strike me as her style.

28. - Top - End - #838

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    So you think if I walk up to a female co-worker and tell her "Hey, I need you to take off your shirt", it would be ok, because I can say "Hey, I thought she might be cool with it. That makes it alright, doesn't it?"
    While it is certainly not okay for a female to harass a male colleague or subordinate, I think a little bit of a double standard is still warranted. It is okay for these two examples to not be equivalent. White males are hardly lacking in support structures the way women, people of color, and those of alternative lifestyles clearly still are.

Now in this instance, usual social conventions are turned on their head and Renee is the one in the position of power with Elliot being the shy gentle giant. Renee is clearly in the wrong, but were their positions reversed I'd view the situation as far more nefarious.

All that being said, yeah, Renee sucks, and Elliot is great. I'm okay seeing more of Brun and him, but can we get back to the robot plot line?

29. - Top - End - #839

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    People are saying, "Sexual harassment". I'm thinking, "New uniform" or some other innocuous explanation. Renee's not my favorite character, but trying to ogle the Elliot Chest for cheap thrills doesn't strike me as her style.
    I consider that likely too, I would actually be suprised if she asks to ogle him, well we will see tomorrow.

30. - Top - End - #840

My guess was going with, "Lets see if I AM interested in him. I would drool if he went shirtless, right?" As for the sexual harassment, its a bit of a false comparison because a guy can be topless in a large number of scenarios without it being considered sexual. Construction workers, swimmers, landscapers. Guys without shirts all the time. Girl going topless? Yeah thats pretty much always a sexual look. All that said, yes, asking someone to strip down is really inappropriate unless there is some sort of followup that explains why. "Well your shirt is on fire and I dont want you to burn to death" "We are about to walk into a gang bar and those colors will get you shot" That sort of thing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."