New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A question about trolls.

No, no, not Internet trolls. I am painfully familiar with them.

What I mean is the 5e Trolls.

So one of their things is:
    Regeneration: The troll regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If the troll takes acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of the troll's next turn. The troll dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn't Regenerate.

Now the question comes in: If the troll takes acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of the troll's next turn.

So does that mean, at the beginning of a fight, someone launches a fire arrow and does 4 damage of fire on the troll.

Every round after that, he will no longer heal?

Because that certainly takes the fear out of fighting a troll. Before - and this might have been house rules - trolls would regen any damage done to them that wasn't fire based.

So if a troll took 4 points of fire damage total in a round, 30 points of damage from other things (non fire/acid related), he would still regen those wounds. He wouldn't however be able to regen the 4 fire damage.

So for example, if he took 4 fire damage, and 4 slashing damage, the most he could heal is 6 damage back (because if it was 10 per turn, the -4 from fire makes the max 6).
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: A question about trolls.

If the troll took acid or fire damage since his last turn he doesn't regenerate on his turn.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    No, no, not Internet trolls. I am painfully familiar with them.

What I mean is the 5e Trolls.

So one of their things is:
    Regeneration: The troll regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If the troll takes acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of the troll's next turn. The troll dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn't Regenerate.

Now the question comes in: If the troll takes acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of the troll's next turn.

So does that mean, at the beginning of a fight, someone launches a fire arrow and does 4 damage of fire on the troll.

Every round after that, he will no longer heal?

Because that certainly takes the fear out of fighting a troll. Before - and this might have been house rules - trolls would regen any damage done to them that wasn't fire based.

So if a troll took 4 points of fire damage total in a round, 30 points of damage from other things (non fire/acid related), he would still regen those wounds. He wouldn't however be able to regen the 4 fire damage.

So for example, if he took 4 fire damage, and 4 slashing damage, the most he could heal is 6 damage back (because if it was 10 per turn, the -4 from fire makes the max 6).
    A trolls regen (like most creatures regen) only stops working for the next round- unless, of course, every round it is exposed to fire (or other weakness).

So, for your example, the troll takes 4 points of fire and 30 points of miscellaneous damage before it can act in round one, at the start of his next turn he does not heal because he took fire damage. If in the subsequent round it took another 20 damage, but none of it was fire or acid, on his next turn that round he would heal ten damage. If he is never struck by fire again, and left alone, he would heal all the way back to full- including healing the 4 points of fire damage that started it all.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A trolls regen (like most creatures regen) only stops working for the next round- unless, of course, every round it is exposed to fire (or other weakness).

So, for your example, the troll takes 4 points of fire and 30 points of miscellaneous damage before it can act in round one, at the start of his next turn he does not heal because he took fire damage. If in the subsequent round it took another 20 damage, but none of it was fire or acid, on his next turn that round he would heal ten damage. If he is never struck by fire again, and left alone, he would heal all the way back to full- including healing the 4 points of fire damage that started it all.
    Perfect. That makes way more sense. Thank you!
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

In other words, unlike internet trolls, a 5e troll is best solved by constant flaming.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post

The only difference I see from my understanding is if the troll acts before the player in the round and the player does fire damage, on the troll's turn in the next round he will not regenerate. If he doesn't take fire damage again in that round, he will regenerate on his turn in the next.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    In other words, unlike internet trolls, a 5e troll is best solved by constant flaming.
    Sir, this forum needs a LIKE button _JUST FOR THAT!_

8. - Top - End - #8

LOL Nifft!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    The only difference I see from my understanding is if the troll acts before the player in the round and the player does fire damage, on the troll's turn in the next round he will not regenerate.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    If he doesn't take fire damage again in that round, he will regenerate on his turn in the next.
    Just to further clarify,
    If the troll is hit with fire damage after its turn but before the end of round one, and is not struck by fire damage between the start of round two and its turn- the troll does not regenerate.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Alchemist Fire seemed kind of sucky to me for the price, but it was made for killing trolls, apparently.

10. - Top - End - #10

NinjaGirl

As a side note, Chill Touch also works for this purpose, and not just for trolls, but vampires and anything else with that annoying regeneration.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

May I add to sig?
    Jalor's Guide to Hitting Things Really Hard: A Guide to Fighting Unarmed in 5e: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Yf1XaKuar0V3Sk

Warning! Rebuttals and arguing are part of a good conversation. If I rebuttal or argue with you, it's to have a good conversation.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grear Bylls View Post
    May I add to sig?
    Certainly.

Cheers!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Alchemist Fire seemed kind of sucky to me for the price, but it was made for killing trolls, apparently.
    Cheaper to pour oil on it and use a torch to attack it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    Cheaper to pour oil on it and use a torch to attack it.
    You don't even have to bother with the oil, the 1 fire damage from torch is enough.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Next time you have Trolls as an encounter, use "Red Trolls". Which are the same, but their regeneration doesnt work when hit by cold and poison damage. That'll catch your players off guard for a bit.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwanoz View Post
    Next time you have Trolls as an encounter, use "Red Trolls". Which are the same, but their regeneration doesnt work when hit by cold and poison damage. That'll catch your players off guard for a bit.
    There really ought to be more monsters which reward choosing Poison damage.

It's so awful normally.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The feature does exactly what it says it does

“The troll regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If the troll takes acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of the troll's next turn. The troll dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn't Regenerate.”

If the troll takes acid or fire damage, then on the start of its next turn it doesn’t heal. Emphasis on next turn. Even if the troll somehow took damage during its turn (someone hits them with an OA using a torch possibly?), it still wouldn’t heal at the start of its next turn. That only applies to one turn though, not all of them.

And another note; regeneration doesn’t heal any one damage type more than others. Your last two paragraphs in the OP aren’t accurate. That must have been a house rule you or your DM used or some feature of an older edition. That’s not quite how regeneration works anymore.

_____

I would personally make the damage type necrotic and poison, nor cold and poison, but that’s just me. I could also imagine a particularly magic troll being weak to radiant too.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I've kind of enjoyed having weird mutated trolls - the ones in MToF are fairly interesting. I've also just stuck all the various damage types into a table and rolled for vulnerabilities, then give clues in the appearance of the troll as to what those vulnerabilities actually are.
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Just dress your troll in chainmail of the effreet.

20. - Top - End - #20

This sounds like the albino red dragon from an adventure in DUNGEON magazine.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

A Troll with class levels is always fun, especially if you make them a Zealot or Champion.