New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece V: Black Leg Wedding

The difficulty is not in obtaining Seastone. That stuff's literally everywhere, the problem is precisely in refining it. Remember All Marine ships have their bottom Hulls layered with Seastone. It's used in a lot of building production.

Also Seastone is only useful against Devil Fruit Users. And while Devil Fruit users are powerful Someone just being a well trained fighter is more than a match for your average devil fruit user. It being made in Ship construction and in fortification is far far more useful than shooting it at people.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Also Seastone is only useful against Devil Fruit Users. And while Devil Fruit users are powerful Someone just being a well trained fighter is more than a match for your average devil fruit user. It being made in Ship construction and in fortification is far far more useful than shooting it at people.
    Hmm.. i dont really know.
    Those people who have defeated a DF user without one of their own have not just been well trained.
    They have generally been utter monsters. One mand armies. People that regular fighters cant really touch.
    Or really smart people with a situational advantage and advanced weapons, like Nami.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

Another thing about Seastone bullets is that most Devil Fruit users don't have even regular bullet invulnerability. Luffy has it because of his specific power, But for most DF users, Regular bullets do the trick. Either they dodge them or they get hit. So Seastone ones would only be incredibly rarely useful.

Another thing people are forgetting is that Seastone doesn't harm Devil Fruit users anymore than any other metal or mineral. Nor does it take away someone's powers, What it does, is act as a sedative and prevent them from accessing or turning on their powers. Luffy with Seastone or even completely submerged still has all of his powers, what happens is that his strength gets sapped so he can't use them.

Remember when he was trapped under water fighting Arlong, He was still rubber, but he lacked the strength to stretch on his own. Or when he was fighting Hody Jones, his arm could still stretch to attack under water his body was just weaker because Seastone, or Water acts like a sedative. If you shot him, the bullets would still bounce off.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-11-12 at 10:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. it is as such true. As such its i guess.. only the extremely rare Logia type, Luffy, and Alvida, who so far have been straight up immune to bullets.
    But at the same time, powerful people in the OP universe has shown themselves to be extremely durable. Especially the Zoan types who seems to have improved toughness.
    And so i can also imagine that anything other than a perfect hit would only piss them off. Thats why lodging a reatively slow moving seastone bullet in them would
    be a great way to incapacitate them.

Unfortunately, as soon as everyone found out that seastone bullets were possible, then it would create an arms race to manufacture as many of those as possible.
    And since everyone in power relies heavily on DF's, Both Marine, Shikebukai (or whatever), and Yonko, then it is likely in their own best interest to supress the widespread use
    of Seastone weapons.

Because it would act as a equaliser, making it easier for upstarts to unseat them.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Hmm.. it is as such true. As such its i guess.. only the extremely rare Logia type, Luffy, and Alvida, who so far have been straight up immune to bullets.
    But at the same time, powerful people in the OP universe has shown themselves to be extremely durable. Especially the Zoan types who seems to have improved toughness.
    And so i can also imagine that anything other than a perfect hit would only piss them off. Thats why lodging a reatively slow moving seastone bullet in them would
    be a great way to incapacitate them.

Unfortunately, as soon as everyone found out that seastone bullets were possible, then it would create an arms race to manufacture as many of those as possible.
    And since everyone in power relies heavily on DF's, Both Marine, Shikebukai (or whatever), and Yonko, then it is likely in their own best interest to supress the widespread use
    of Seastone weapons.

Because it would act as a equaliser, making it easier for upstarts to unseat them.

I still say Seastone works better used as a way to restrain or imprison. Most of the higher up people in Onepiece, aka the people you'd need or want to use them for, are also the people who can negate, or dodge bullets anyway. And training has been shown to make people the equivalent or superior of a lot of DF users. Look at Shanks, or Mihawk, or Garp, or Zoro. The relatively small group of people that Seastone bullets would be more effective on than regular bullets just isn't high enough for it to be useful

And as I said, it doesn't actually turn off someone's powers, so if you hit a DF user who's tough enough to tank regular bullets, Seastone ones won't do any good either. It's not going to lower their durability any, since that's not what Seastone does. If a regular bullet wasn't going to work on them, then a seastone one wouldn't either. It has to actually stay on the person to weaken them, and remember weaken is all it does, it doesn't harm them anymore than anything else.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

I dont really know. Basil showed very clearly how effective ranged Sea stone can be.
    And even Kizaru has been intimidated to stand down at the threat of being shot. So clearly the bullet defences has some sort of limit.
    Meanwhile, those examples, Zorro, Shanks, Garp, Mihawk, seems to be the extreme exception. It has generally been limited how
    many extremely powerful regular humans we have seen. Just for an example, as i recall Mihawk is the only Shibukai without a DF.
    So its not like there isnt a lot of good targets for a seastone bullet.

Also, it has actually been inconsistent what effect water/seastone has.
    They did not weaken Ace to any visible degree. But they did turn his Logia power off completely (else the cuffs would have fallen off)
    And they did the same to Enel in the Skypedia arc, as well as Marco.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ogre in the Playground

I dont really know. Basil showed very clearly how effective ranged Sea stone can be.
    And even Kizaru has been intimidated to stand down at the threat of being shot. So clearly the bullet defences has some sort of limit.
    Meanwhile, those examples, Zorro, Shanks, Garp, Mihawk, seems to be the extreme exception. It has generally been limited how
    many extremely powerful regular humans we have seen. Just for an example, as i recall Mihawk is the only Shibukai without a DF.
    So its not like there isnt a lot of good targets for a seastone bullet.

Also, it has actually been inconsistent what effect water/seastone has.
    They did not weaken Ace to any visible degree. But they did turn his Logia power off completely (else the cuffs would have fallen off)
    And they did the same to Enel in the Skypedia arc, as well as Marco.
    The seastone nail stopped him from teleporting Luffy out. But you know what else would have done that. Just killing Law with a good old regular bullet.

And general consensus is been Beckman using haki in his bullets
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-11-12 at 01:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Colossus in the Playground

Well that was a fun chapter. I like the "end of act 1" bit at the end, makes me feel like the intent is to read this as more of a play than the typical story arc.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Pixie in the Playground

love these they look amazing

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    The seastone nail stopped him from teleporting Luffy out. But you know what else would have done that. Just killing Law with a good old regular bullet.

And general consensus is been Beckman using haki in his bullets
    One thing we all seem to be ignoring is that bullets don't kill people in One Piece. White Beard was shot a few hundred times, multiple by cannon balls, and was dying of some disease first and had been melted with lava before he succumbed.

All of the crew have taken damage far in advance of bullets and lived, including laser beams, bombs, and losing impossible amounts of blood. The last character to be seriously injured by a gun was Hachi, who at that point was already totally out of their league and still survived.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Ah.. i already made the argument earlier that a lot of the more dangerous opponent would only get annoyed if they got shot.
    And after the beating Law got in the fight with Flamingo, then i think the argument can be said it would also aply to him.

And yeah Beckman is extremely like to be using Haki to empower those bullets.
    But think how much more dangerous he would be, if just hitting an admiral class opponent in the arms/leg would take him out.

12. - Top - End - #1272

Funny thing is, seastone bullets would be utterly useless against katakuri. Unlike say, the admirals, who turn into the element to let attacks go through them, he actually manipulated his body to open a hole for the attack to go through. Since seastone takes contact to harm a df user.....
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    One thing we all seem to be ignoring is that bullets don't kill people in One Piece. White Beard was shot a few hundred times, multiple by cannon balls, and was dying of some disease first and had been melted with lava before he succumbed.

All of the crew have taken damage far in advance of bullets and lived, including laser beams, bombs, and losing impossible amounts of blood. The last character to be seriously injured by a gun was Hachi, who at that point was already totally out of their league and still survived.
    That's general shonen durability. The story says that bullets are deadly but they're not really gonna kill people most of the time. Making them seastone won't change that.

14. - Top - End - #1274

That's general shonen durability. The story says that bullets are deadly but they're not really gonna kill people most of the time. Making them seastone won't change that.
    Very true, at marineford, luffy got stabbed in the arm by a rather large icicle that very visibly bled. Right up until he yanked it out and it just magically kept functioning as an arm despite likely crippling an actual person for months or possibly the rest of his life. Just as one example out of quite likely thousands from the big three alone. I think of the three Bleach might take the prize though for sheer bloody damage followed by fight continuation. But One Piece isnt exactly a slouch in that department.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Very true, at marineford, luffy got stabbed in the arm by a rather large icicle that very visibly bled. Right up until he yanked it out and it just magically kept functioning as an arm despite likely crippling an actual person for months or possibly the rest of his life. Just as one example out of quite likely thousands from the big three alone. I think of the three Bleach might take the prize though for sheer bloody damage followed by fight continuation. But One Piece isnt exactly a slouch in that department.
    To be fair Bleach isn't about people. Their bodies aren't made of matter, they are made of the same magic particles they use to fight. More like D&Demons then humans.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Funny thing is, seastone bullets would be utterly useless against katakuri. Unlike say, the admirals, who turn into the element to let attacks go through them, he actually manipulated his body to open a hole for the attack to go through. Since seastone takes contact to harm a df user.....
    Well.. only if he can do that trick faster than a bullet. A sufficiently skilled marksman might still be able to hit him.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Aokiji did the same trick against WB's haki-imbued bisento attack.
    Well.. only if he can do that trick faster than a bullet. A sufficiently skilled marksman might still be able to hit him.
    Luffy dodged laser-point accurate attacks from a PX with his observation haki. Bullet timing may not be unusual in the New World.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ogre in the Playground

But making them seastone will make them disable fruit powers while inside the target's body, a pretty significant advantage.

Also really, World Government can mass-produce autonomous killer robots with lasers. Their technological ability is pretty high, they should've figured out ways to weaponize seastone by now.

Like if the smallest fragment of seastone is enough, you could just coat normal bullets in seastone dust. Maybe a little bit at the tip of a metal bullet so it can punch through fruit defenses. Make hollow points so they'll break on purpose in impact and stay inside the target's body. They can mass-produce robot brains and micro-reactors, they damn sure can stick a tiny piece of rock in a bit of metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

Luffy dodged laser-point accurate attacks from a PX with his observation haki. Bullet timing may not be unusual in the New World.
    Ahh.. well a weapon is not better than the guy wielding it, and the PX does seem to have a bit of charge time on their attack.
    For that matter, that a weapon is laser based does not directly make it more accurate. It just means it wont scatter. But that does not help,
    if you shoot at where your opponent were, instead of where he is.

But making them seastone will make them disable fruit powers while inside the target's body, a pretty significant advantage.

Also really, World Government can mass-produce autonomous killer robots with lasers. Their technological ability is pretty high, they should've figured out ways to weaponize seastone by now.
    Well.. it seems clear the WG is a dictatorship, so clearly part of the way they maintain control is though the spread of technology.
    Killer robots with lasers are a lot harder to steal or reverse engineer than seastone bullets.

Like if the smallest fragment of seastone is enough, you could just coat normal bullets in seastone dust. Maybe a little bit at the tip of a metal bullet so it can punch through fruit defenses. Make hollow points so they'll break on purpose in impact and stay inside the target's body. They can mass-produce robot brains and micro-reactors, they damn sure can stick a tiny piece of rock in a bit of metal.
    Bullet technology seems rather primite. The marine armies does not seem to have rifling yet, or even something that should be able to shoot more than once before reloading.
    Heck, why mess around with sea stone? just inventing regular hollow point bullets would do a lot more. But again the problem is thats easily replicated.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahh.. well a weapon is not better than the guy wielding it, and the PX does seem to have a bit of charge time on their attack.
    For that matter, that a weapon is laser based does not directly make it more accurate. It just means it wont scatter. But that does not help,
    if you shoot at where your opponent were, instead of where he is.
    A laser is light and light scatters in atmosphere too (ever heard of rainbows?), in particular something like smoke would interfere quite a bit.

Well.. it seems clear the WG is a dictatorship, so clearly part of the way they maintain control is though the spread of technology.
    Killer robots with lasers are a lot harder to steal or reverse engineer than seastone bullets.
    Yet they let a technological genius like Frankie just roam completely free for years in public in a pretty big city. Sanji's family has a freaking clone factory plus genetic engineering.

Bullet technology seems rather primite. The marine armies does not seem to have rifling yet, or even something that should be able to shoot more than once before reloading.
    Heck, why mess around with sea stone? just inventing regular hollow point bullets would do a lot more. But again the problem is thats easily replicated.
    Big momma pirates have gatling guns plus "candy-coated" bullets that could pierce Sanji's siblings steel skin, the castle pirates had rocket launchers with specialized warheads.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

21. - Top - End - #1281

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    A laser is light and light scatters in atmosphere too (ever heard of rainbows?), in particular something like smoke would interfere quite a bit.

Yet they let a technological genius like Frankie just roam completely free for years in public in a pretty big city. Sanji's family has a freaking clone factory plus genetic engineering.

Big momma pirates have gatling guns plus "candy-coated" bullets that could pierce Sanji's siblings steel skin, the castle pirates had rocket launchers with specialized warheads.
    Last point first, you gotta admit that once you hit yonko level, there isnt much the government can do about you. And realistically, not much for some time before it. I mean, even luffy pre big mom was probably too big a fish for the marines to hunt down without some serious planning and effort. Or sending out the admirals to hunt him down I guess, should one be close enough to follow. Obviously not even remotely close to a marineford level response, but I would imagine at least one vice admiral per member of the monster trio plus full crew compliments on their ships for a serious effort back then. And as for sanjis family, doesnt he come from the most technologically advanced of the seas? As for Franky, he was pretty low key at the time and cp9 still snaffled him up iirc.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

Last point first, you gotta admit that once you hit yonko level, there isnt much the government can do about you. And realistically, not much for some time before it. I mean, even luffy pre big mom was probably too big a fish for the marines to hunt down without some serious planning and effort. Or sending out the admirals to hunt him down I guess, should one be close enough to follow. Obviously not even remotely close to a marineford level response, but I would imagine at least one vice admiral per member of the monster trio plus full crew compliments on their ships for a serious effort back then. And as for sanjis family, doesnt he come from the most technologically advanced of the seas? As for Franky, he was pretty low key at the time and cp9 still snaffled him up iirc.
    You don't need to take somebody down to copy their tech. Once somebody has stuff like gatling guns, everybody else will figure out how to get their hands in one (or the blueprints) to make their own or become irrelevant.

But bigger point is that One Piece is actually quite technologically advanced. Autonomous war robots, cyborgs, super-soldier clones, lasers, personal rocket launchers, armor-piercing candy bullets, you name it, all of it mass-produced and not just one-of wonders.

Even Buggy has his buggy bombs.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it somebody has an orbital station.

23. - Top - End - #1283

You don't need to take somebody down to copy their tech. Once somebody has stuff like gatling guns, everybody else will figure out how to get their hands in one (or the blueprints) to make their own or become irrelevant.

But bigger point is that One Piece is actually quite technologically advanced. Autonomous war robots, cyborgs, super-soldier clones, lasers, personal rocket launchers, armor-piercing candy bullets, you name it, all of it mass-produced and not just one-of wonders.

Even Buggy has his buggy bombs.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it somebody has an orbital station.
    Didnt lightning lad have something to do with the moon? I vaguely recall something about that tied up with the legendary weapons and such.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

Didnt lightning lad have something to do with the moon? I vaguely recall something about that tied up with the legendary weapons and such.
    Yeah, he got a spaceship working and went to the moon where there's a whole race of robots built by somebody in the ancient past.

You can't take two steps in One Piece without tripping in some piece of high-tech.

Mark my words, the strawhat pirates will eventually become space pirates.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, he got a spaceship working and went to the moon where there's a whole race of robots built by somebody in the ancient past.

You can't take two steps in One Piece without tripping in some piece of high-tech.

Mark my words, the strawhat pirates will eventually become space pirates.
    At this point, I won't be surprised if Oda would imply or even show space as the final frontier. Probably would have to do with the void century and One Piece, and could be something that even overwhelmed the Roger Pirates.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    At this point, I won't be surprised if Oda would imply or even show space as the final frontier. Probably would have to do with the void century and One Piece, and could be something that even overwhelmed the Roger Pirates.
    Remember there's more than one moon. It's part of why the weather is so nuts. Seeing the world of Onepiece from the outside is really weird.

27. - Top - End - #1287

Remember there's more than one moon. It's part of why the weather is so nuts. Seeing the world of Onepiece from the outside is really weird.
    Apparently ohara had a globe showing 7 satellites including the moon. Im not sure what that means precisely.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So the Roger Pirates realized that terrestrial planets and moons with civilizations on them are the new "islands" to explore, but they frustratedly found no way for sufficiently hyperspeed space travel? New headcanon!

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    So the Roger Pirates realized that terrestrial planets and moons with civilizations on them are the new "islands" to explore, but they frustratedly found no way for sufficiently hyperspeed space travel? New headcanon!
    They actually found a way, but the development made them terribly sick due to getting exposed to space radiation with no protection so they couldn't become space pirates (remember that Rogers let himself be captured and executed by the marines because was close to death anyway).

Roger's treasure that he challenged the whole world to find is actually a fully functional spaceship ready to take off.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

Roger's came down with a disease 26 years before the start of One Piece and it was only his last voyage where he reached the end of the Grand Line. They didn't even have their most famous ship (The Oro Jackson) until this trip let alone anything else they'd have needed to get to the Road Glyphs or any of that.

The space idea is just silly.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-11-16 at 03:26 AM.