New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: FdL's Fuzzbox-Fueled Random Banter #88

You know when the guy slap the girl to get her to calm down, then someone else takes over, then someone else takes over, then they pan the camera to show a line of people waiting to slap her with weapons etc.

*Appologizes to Nomrom and tries to help him up but loses grip and he falls a gain*

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, now I remember what scene you were talking about. Man I haven't seen that movie in forever.

*Starts to get up, looks over at FdL and realizes he hasn't moved in a long time. Umm, I think we killed him, let's get out of here quick.*

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    Regardless of being moms or dads, I hate when people drive their kids to school or pick them up, and just park their cars in long queues of confusion and madness of blinking car lights.
    My mom drives me and picks me up again, but it's on her way and it doesn't take that long. It's also a good broad street. Besides, I'm twenty minutes faster that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    So how bout that local sports team?
    Austria managed a draw against the Czechs. A draw! You gotta be kidding me. And they even shot a goal. Something is completely wrong in football these days. But at least it was Harnik, I like Harnik, he's cool. He was cool against the US in the U20 WC and now he's both in the team of Bremen and in the Austrian, that's awesome. Still, I was rooting for the Czechs.

At least Germany won against England.

4. - Top - End - #64

*intersects her own banter*

Crap, just found a paper I want to use as a reference was co-authored by my advisor..... which isn't a bad thing.... I just don't have the time to read the entire paper. I want to grab quickly the conclusions and go.

Problem is.... if any paper he might expect me to read it would be one of his. (Not that he is vain in particular, but people are fond of their own work in general).

But... it's not like I am living in Cinci anymore... so it's much harder to give a pop quiz on what his paper was about over email.

I'll just have to make sure I don't cover anything over the phone.

I am currently concentrating on RL stuffs. If you need me PM me.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Trying this again. . .

*inverts bottle of oil*
    *drizzledrizzledrizzle*
    *lays down bumpers thieved by night from a bumper cars arena*

SLIP'N'SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE

*vrooooooooooooooom!bumpbumpvrooooooombump!spin*
    *sniffsniffsniff?*

Scented oil?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Colossus in the Playground

>sniffs Quincunx<
    mmmm... lavander? Pretty.

Actually, that looks like fun.
    >rolls out long yellow strip of plastic and smothers it in water and detergent<
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2007-08-23 at 06:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dave hath ventured forth!

Let all (read: Zeratul) rejoice!
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

That made no sense.

Why is football always the sport of choice? I prefer RUGBY! Cornish Pirates are my local team. Used to be Penzance & Newlyn Pirates but after it got big it became the Cornish team. The team's wona lot of trophies and things.

But I don't get American Football. It's just Rugby for babies. So much padding and it's almost identiccal to Rugby. Rugby you wear shin pads and a gumshield. American Football you wear - a lot.
    And why is it called Football?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #69

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    But I don't get American Football. It's just Rugby for babies. So much padding and it's almost identiccal to Rugby. Rugby you wear shin pads and a gumshield. American Football you wear - a lot.
    And why is it called Football?
    Same reason it's called the World Series?

Although the entirety of my knowledge of AF stems from playing John Madden on the Sega Megadrive, I can say it is a significantly different game from rugby. It's a series of offense vs. defense maneuvers where each coach/team tries to outsmart and second-guess the other team in order to move the ball 10 yards per 4 maneuvers. Not sure why all the padding though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkitosen View Post
    Same reason it's called the World Series?

Although the entirety of my knowledge of AF stems from playing John Madden on the Sega Megadrive, I can say it is a significantly different game from rugby. It's a series of offense vs. defense maneuvers where each coach/team tries to outsmart and second-guess the other team in order to move the ball 10 yards per 4 maneuvers. Not sure why all the padding though.
    The padding is there because these guys are huge and running into each other at ridiculous speeds. In rugby (I think, I know nothing about rugby) they hit each other pretty hard, but they also are not in nearly the kind of shape/size as NFL players.

edit::
    No idea why it's called football, prolly because it has roots in real football.

Also, Ikkotsen, that's a really good description.
    Last edited by rollfrenzy; 2007-08-23 at 10:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    "Hands in, lets-all-be-heroes on three."

After a long break, I am back and forget who was nice enough to create the zombie ninja avatar for me. If you did it, or know who did, PM me so I can give proper credit.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkitosen View Post
    Not sure why all the padding though.
    It gets all the armchair supporters closer to the action sport er ... game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

12. - Top - End - #72

My Thesis may be done! *throws arms up into the arm*
    *runs around a lot*

And yeah... may... being a perfectionistic procrastinator means it wasn't up to the quality I would have wanted it to be... and I was working on it 5 minutes past the deadline (which was even extended for me).

So yeah, based on my advisors idea of how well I pulled the last bits of my thesis together and got it all to gel, will depend on if I graduate now, of if I have another couple months to work on it.

I am currently concentrating on RL stuffs. If you need me PM me.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rollfrenzy View Post
    The padding is there because these guys are huge and running into each other at ridiculous speeds. In rugby (I think, I know nothing about rugby) they hit each other pretty hard, but they also are not in nearly the kind of shape/size as NFL players.

edit::
    No idea why it's called football, prolly because it has roots in real football.

Also, Ikkotsen, that's a really good description.
    Actually the reason they don't look as big/strong as NFL players is probably due to the fact that they don't wear padding.

Inccidentally, where did the word soccer come from, that has always puzzled me,then again I'm puzzled by the name for Rugby and Cricket too.
    Last edited by Calamity; 2007-08-23 at 11:51 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Actually the reason they don't look as big/strong as NFL players is probably due to the fact that they don't wear padding.

Inccidentally, where did the word soccer come from, that has always puzzled me,then again I'm puzzled by the name for Rugby and Cricket too.
    The name for Rugby comes from the town it was invented in. Meh, I don't really care for sport.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that was what I thought. Maybe the name for cricket came from the fact it rhymed with wicket? Why the 'W' was changed to 'Cr' though doesn't make sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

16. - Top - End - #76

My thinking is that some people saw the insects playing it and decided to adopt it for human use naming it after the inventors. It could have happened, you don't know.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldpollard View Post
    My thinking is that some people saw the insects playing it and decided to adopt it for human use naming it after the inventors. It could have happened, you don't know.
    Now that, that is the kind of explanation i generally expect from llama...

~PS
    "One Penguin To Rule Them All..."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!" ~ Diva De

The Boot. Fear it.

Thanks to Trog for OotK icon
    Also, thanks to El J, Kubb Ambassador

18. - Top - End - #78

You can say things like that when you have a better cricket origin story. Are you trying to insinuate that my description is in some way nonsensical?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah! That's true. American football has nothing on rugby in terms of roughness. And yet they wear lots of armor and padding, which is really ridiculous.

And if you say that their players are bigger than rugby players, it's because you never heard about guys like the All-Blacks New Zealand Team :p They could chew and spit a couple of American football teams with time to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by CSK View Post
    My mom drives me and picks me up again, but it's on her way and it doesn't take that long. It's also a good broad street. Besides, I'm twenty minutes faster that way.
    Yeah, it has to do with many factors. But if it's a narrow street, and all the mom & dad cars get piled up in a second row to the cars already parked on both sides of it, added to the kids swarming around the sidewalk and streets, school transports, etc, I tell you it's not the most civil way of handling traffic.

I understand that it's nice and really comfortable that your fathers drop you off and pick you up at school. That's not to be questioned. But what about the right of others to circulate freely, without obstacles? I really don't care for the parents' and kids' schedules and means of transport, anymore than shouldn't they care about mine. We all have the same right to circulate!

I don't know if this happens in other countries. Here people are selfish like that, they don't care about the next guy, and just stop their cars wherever they please to do their thing. And often schools don't have proper spaces or parking lots to allow this (mine is an old city), plus traffic officers don't seem to consider this a problem.
    But meh, I live in a country where any group of demonstrators can block traffic of any street or road if they feel like it and no one will tell them anything :S Even school kids do it these days, in protest for things school administrators or even their parents should handle. It's obviously an imitation of what grown-ups do :S

So, I'm guessing in other (more civilized) countries these things don't happen. For example, what happens in the USA if a group of demonstrators spontaneusly decide to block a street or road in protest for something?

This post of venting was brought to you by your friendly neighborhood FdL.
    Last edited by FdL; 2007-08-23 at 01:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground

Too True FDL.

And everyone knows it's called cricket because when you hit the ball it makes a noise like 'crick!' and naturally people would come to shout "Crick! it. Go on, crick! it." And eventually that is how cricket became called cricket.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

My friend is obsessed with rugby because "You can bite off another person's ear!" That doesn't happen in football all that often. To paraphrase a beautiful quote I read somewhere on this forum, in football you lie around on the ground a lot, or something to that effect. I know that footbal requires a great deal of conditioning, but where I live, for every minute they spend playing in a game, there's three minutes laying around.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, that may explain Cricket, but what about Crocket?

Edit: Hmmm...Is there an actual sport/game called "crocket"? Else I'll lose the basis for my witty remark :s
    Last edited by FdL; 2007-08-23 at 01:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

in the chaotic disturbing images of my mind

hmm i think sports are much more fun to play then to watch, that is unless you get injured

fdl - if htere isnt a sport then we can make one up, and then cash in on the royalities! reminds me of basketball, what a cool movie
    Last edited by zombie chick; 2007-08-23 at 01:49 PM.
    background theme music Bow Chicka Bow Bow

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    *snip*
    So, I'm guessing in other (more civilized) countries these things don't happen. For example, what happens in the USA if a group of demonstrators spontaneusly decide to block a street or road in protest for something?

This post of venting was brought to you by your friendly neighborhood FdL.
    Here in the States, they would be made to move to the Sidewalk. They have freedom of speach but they can't interefere with other peoples freedom to drive.

** seing He is terribly outnumbered by the rest of the world, the lone yank backs slowly away from the football debate**

So how bout' that Premiership??
    Last edited by rollfrenzy; 2007-08-23 at 01:50 PM.

After a long break, I am back and forget who was nice enough to create the zombie ninja avatar for me. If you did it, or know who did, PM me so I can give proper credit.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You're not the only Yank. Just the only one that likes American football, I think. I'm more for watching baseball, but it seems I am a member of a dying breed. It lightens my heart that thise forum hasn't really shown movement from baseball to American football, but since this isn't really a sports forum, maybe it means nothing...

I believe that if there is a large group of demonstrators, they have to get a special permit. They can also ask the city to block off a few roads for a while if they are marching down the street, but other than that they have to stay in the sidewalk. Also, double parking doesn't really seem to be much of an issue here. If people do that, they get caught and fined, and usually don't do it again, at my school at least.
    Last edited by Gaelbert; 2007-08-23 at 01:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

I liked baseball, but this season has pretty much sapped my will to ever watch it again. But then theres always next year.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Bonds? Your local sports team?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, Cincinnati Being terrible combined with the whole bonds thing. Which I really couldn't care less about the record, steroids or not, it's a totally different game now. But, I listen to a lot of sports radio, and It was just endless this year, like there was nothing else going on in the entire world but Barry Freaking Bonds. It just turned me off to the whole sport. Which is a shame cuz theres some good stories out there too, Josh hamilton, Ankiel, the Yankees crawling back. Unfortunately after the summer of nothing but Barry, I can't even care enough to watch Sportscenter.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinsushi View Post
    Now that, that is the kind of explanation i generally expect from llama...

~PS

I may be guilty of such things.

By the way, I have CD's for you to listen too.
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not here as much. I am out Roman around.

30. - Top - End - #90

What are these CDs that are so full of promise?
    Thinking of CDs they should be square, then they'd fit in the case! Okay so they may become unusable but that's a small price to pay.