New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Coplantor's Completly Creative Cautious and Contemplative Random Banter #109

@Coid: I'm not sure what conversation you were continuing with the demons, but interesting it is! I think the whole concept of devils and demons is only a metaphor for the darker side of humanity - the part that would willingly destroy our own species if it involved our own personal gain. Like you said, we're good enough at screwing the world up, we don't need help.

@Zak: Yeah...my dad is 5'9" but my brother is six feet and still growing. All the boys (there are three) will, I suspect, top six feet. And here's me, five-two... In my early childhood I distinctly remember feeling that I wanted to stay small because to be taller than my mom would just be wrong. Guess I got my wish.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Coplantor's Completly Creative Cautious and Contemplative Random Banter #109

I think someone was discussing the movie The Haunting of Emily Rose or something like that. Some movie with demons or ghosts or whatever plaguing humanity through possession. It's one of my biggest problems is that, on the one hand, I think they're canon but I also have to realize that the canon also states that we didn't need them. So I just get a big headache and start to think about how both demons and allips'n'such are made from the tortured wrecks of human souls and the way the cosmology is set up that death is really permeable...

And on the bright side, at least you won't have to worry about difficulty when it comes to dancing. Or being swept off your feet. Terrible thing to have your knees get scratched up in the process of that happening. (that is to say, I love tall women, but it is hard to carry someone roughly the same size as yourself. Takes some practice, I can tell you.) I mean, I love short women too, though after a certain point things become academic due to the difficulty in traversing from the areas above the tree-line all the way down to prime-kissing territory. One of the things I've learned in this life is that it's just not fun to have to take a special trip in order to get a kiss, a regular trip, yeah, but, well, y'know?

V: Super Mutants!? And yeah... I sometimes get off balance and get made fun of for being drunk when it's just the terrain being made and shaped by people noticeably smaller than I am. Also, I'm hard of hearing so it's even worse with my ears cocked the wrong direction to hear most people. Or maybe I just think I'm hard of hearing because my ears are always pointed away from the speaker...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-01-01 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    @Zak: Yeah...my dad is 5'9" but my brother is six feet and still growing. All the boys (there are three) will, I suspect, top six feet. And here's me, five-two... In my early childhood I distinctly remember feeling that I wanted to stay small because to be taller than my mom would just be wrong. Guess I got my wish.
    Okay well I've never been short... I've actually usually been excessively tall. 'till this year, I was one of 'trees' at school. But at 6-3ish I'm still considered short on my football team... I mean, we recruit these inner city kids who are huge. It must be something in the water, because they are ridiculously tall. But anyways, I wouldn't really mind being 5 of 6 inches shorter... I'll say it again, being tall isn't what it's cracked up to be, because general movement sometimes gets awkward.

*gives Drider 5 inches for a late Christmas present*
    Last edited by Mr. Mud; 2009-01-01 at 07:59 PM.
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it?
    Exactly. Serves me right, really...

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Bugbear in the Playground

On the subject of height: I'm 5' 10", and it doesn't look like I'll be growing any taller.

To be frank, I hate being tall. It comes with ankle and knee problems. Though I don't think my height has any real correlation with this; I have loose knee caps, more so my left one. Every once in a while, it'll slip out of place for a split second, then go back into place. It really hurts at first, but I can walk it off most of the time. Until I slipped on a patch of ice and messed it up somehow.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn this thread fills up fast!

Saw TCCoBB today, it was very good.

8. - Top - End - #1298

NecromancerGuy

Phase^: What's that String of characters stand for?

That's the sort of unfortunate thing that physical therapy is made for.

It is an unfortunate association/correlation. Sometimes it's causative, but not always. I'm glad that I don't have really bad knees like my ex's family (She was 5'11" too), just knees that will wear out earlier than they should, possibly from all of the bending that they're obligated to do in order to fit me into places.

Is one of those sad things where it's a bit of a double standard when it comes to height. As a man who is tall, I'm allowed to feel free to like any range of height woman, though I'd get a few cracks every now and then if I started dating someone who was half my height. Whereas my ex and the other tall women I've known just have to find guys who are taller than they are. I felt really bad for one volleyball player I had a thing for because she was taller than I was by an inch and a half and she had to let that, rather than my innumerable host of more... material flaws, be the reason she turned me down. I always figured it was more on the guys and a confidence issue, but... *shrug*
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-01-01 at 09:18 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Phase^: What's that String of characters stand for?
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

10. - Top - End - #1300

NecromancerGuy

I was wondering how that movie was going to turn out. Was an intriguingly creepy premise from the trailers. I might just have to go see it in theatres then. Or is it more of a DVD movie?
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ettin in the Playground

I was wondering how that movie was going to turn out. Was an intriguingly creepy premise from the trailers. I might just have to go see it in theatres then. Or is it more of a DVD movie?
    It's definitly a theater movie. The sybolism in everything needs to be experienced on a large scale.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I'm going to risk outing myself as a low-brow glory-fed viewer when I say that the premise for that movie seems unspeakably, unfathomably dull to me.

This is coming from a guy who likes Citizen Kane, the gripping high-concept story of a Guy who Lives.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-01-01 at 10:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

I just watched Schindler's List.

CHILLING. I mean, really. Especially the end sequence when all the actors walk with the real people they portrayed to place stones on Schindler's grave. And the part where Schindler talks about all the people he could have saved and didn't, just because he had spent his money on other things.

Still. One guy who saved so many lives. With such unfathomable motives...he loved his gambling, alcohol, cigarettes, and women, and yet when it came down to it, the lives of persecuted people were more important to him than any of that.

*shiver*

[/philosophizing]

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I have not seen Schindler's List, but this brings up a very interesting question:

What's the most disturbing thing you've ever seen in a movie?

For me, Kurtz in Apocalypse Now's speech:

I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us, and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember … I … I … I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized … like I was shot … like I was shot with a diamond … a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God … the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men … trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love … but they had the strength … the strength … to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, then our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral … and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling … without passion … without judgment … without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, obviously I've got Schindler's List on the brain...but one scene comes to mind where the Nazis are clearing out the Jewish ghetto in Krakow and basically shooting whoever looks at them funny. There's this loud piano music and it cuts to a couple officers standing in the doorway watching a Jew play piano. The two soldliers are grinning and discussing whether the song is by Bach or Mozart.

And then they go shoot some kids.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Troll in the Playground

Well, huh. I just watched The Prestige. Still not sure how I feel about it...

I haven't seen Schindler's List, although I can certainly imagine it's chilling. I haven't seen Apocalypse Now, either.

I'm not sure what the most disturbing thing I've seen on screen was.

I will say that probably the most depressing movie I've seen is Grave of the Fireflies. And I'm not usually one to get emotionally affected by movies.

I've heard that Requiem for a Dream is also a contender, but I've only seen the beginning of that, so I can't comment.

...and now that I've reminded myself of good cinema, I've reminded myself of Cool Hand Luke, my favorite movie by far. And now I'm sad that Paul Newman is dead. RIP.

And just to ramble on even more, I am just now reminded of my damn memory. For some reason, I just have a terrible memory for entertainment—books, movies, comics, you name it. I forget them not long after I've finished them. Now, I guess this gives me the opportunity to rewatch them and enjoy them again, but it's just really frustrating...

Eh. Sorry for that. Got four hours of sleep last night. Should go to bed soon. Starting to talk like Rorschach...

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Eh. Sorry for that. Got four hours of sleep last night. Should go to bed soon. Starting to talk like Rorschach...
    Bad Sneak! No more sociopathy for you!

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Bad Sneak! No more sociopathy for you!
    Wha?

*looks down at cut up black and white fabric guiltily*

Uhhhhh...k. Bedtime for Sneak.

P.S. Sig'd.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Barbarian in the Playground

Most disturbing thing on screen...

Threads as a whole is a pretty good contender. One image in particular is burned into my retina: a burning/melting vaguely-humanoid form; at first glance I thought it was a teddy bear, but on second look I wasn't so sure...

But one scene from Strange Days easily beats that. The first time I saw it, my thought train was approximately thus:

"Wow, that's a really messed up concept. And we'll cut away, right about...

"Wait, they're actually showing it? In its entirety?

"What's this rated as? R? How is this only R?

"Never mind the rating; I can't believe mainstream theaters agreed to show this!"

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with Sneak, Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most depressing movies I've seen in my life. As for the most disturbing thing I've seen in a movie... Yeah, I'd say pretty much the last half hour or so of Requiem for a Dream. It's atrocious! I really, really, had to go out and do something to keep my mind away from those scenes...
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Banned

Urgh... And back to uni...

This time I'm not gonna' bring as much useless crap, which should give me just enough room in the car to fill it full of food. So maybe I won't starve quite so readily.

Might actually have to buy some course books this time... For which I'd have to find the place that sells them... Or the library. How troublesome.

P.S. It is my opinion that Grave of the Fireflies was crap.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-01-02 at 07:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ettin in the Playground

I've never seen it and I don't want to either
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

@Zak: Yeah...my dad is 5'9" but my brother is six feet and still growing. All the boys (there are three) will, I suspect, top six feet. And here's me, five-two...
    Atleast you're taller then me. Poor li'l(got it right) me, standing at around 5'1.(Orso I think that was, the last time I measured)
    Last edited by Dallas-Dakota; 2009-01-02 at 07:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ettin in the Playground

Dallas, all you need to do is stand next to me or my mom, I'm only 5ft tall, and she's only 4ft 10 1/2ins tall. Yes, I'm short yet still taller than my own mother.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, obviously I've got Schindler's List on the brain...but one scene comes to mind where the Nazis are clearing out the Jewish ghetto in Krakow and basically shooting whoever looks at them funny. There's this loud piano music and it cuts to a couple officers standing in the doorway watching a Jew play piano. The two soldliers are grinning and discussing whether the song is by Bach or Mozart.

And then they go shoot some kids.

I seen Schindlers' List too. We got shown it for GCSE History, not all of it as we weren't doing WWII, but we still covered it as we were doing the whole run up from 1918 - 1939 Germany which included Kristalnacht and all. So come Christmas time we watche Schindlers' List. Sadly, I was away for part of it (and I believe the films' about three hours long) and we had to skip parts of it. Still saw the ending though.
    All nineteen of us (including teacher) were in tears at some part or other of this film.
    It's uplifting and depressing really. Like y'said: this man's a womaniser, gambler, drinker, etc. and he still goes all out to save all he could and still laments the fact that he couldn't save more.

@Coidzor: Emily Rose turned out to be a bit formulaic. Guy who could have 'broken the case wide open' was run down in front of Blonde Lawyer after he'd backed into the middle of the road after seeing . . . a demon. I did find the whole portrayal of the exorcism proper very chilling and the dual voices in ancient language were done very well.
    Full points go to Emily for all them contortions whichmust have hurt even if there was a stunt Emily for some of them. Unless she has an identical twin a lot of those contortions were prolly her doing it herself.
    I recommend it for the format and depiction of posession, even if the jurys' decision was easy enough to guess.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Most disturbing thing I ever saw in a movie?

The entirety of Star Wars Episodes I,II, and III?

Just kidding...Or am I?

I would have to say the movie that moved me the most was likely Schindler's List, the scene where...

Spoiler
    Show
    They are carting away the bodies of the dead jews to be burned, and you see the body of the girl in the red coat. Her coat is now grimy with ash and you know that she was murdered. Ah, tear jerker.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    Dallas, all you need to do is stand next to me or my mom, I'm only 5ft tall, and she's only 4ft 10 1/2ins tall. Yes, I'm short yet still taller than my own mother.
    Then we have something in common, my mother is also shorter then me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

28. - Top - End - #1318

I've actually never seen Schindler's List, at least, not all of it. The emotional impact of seeing the little girl's corpse in the wheelbarrow was kinda lost on my 5th grader mind...

I should probably rectify this.

edit: If there was ever anything you wanted to know about me, now's the time to ask it
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2009-01-02 at 10:04 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Brutal scenes are we talking about? Now I don't want this scare anyone, thus it will be spoilered, but there was a video tape for a... man, and two Probably shouldn't go into that on a family forum *pats generic random child on the head*.

But Cristo, I hope you are ready for some questions... .
    Last edited by Mr. Mud; 2009-01-02 at 11:19 AM.
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

30. - Top - End - #1320

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post

But Cristo, I hope you are ready for some questions... .
    Bring it. I've actually been looking forward to this. Hence the shameless promotion.