New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

...What, no one wants to buy a nice, custom-built wooden desk anymore? Or some homegrown fruits and vegetables?

Darn kids and their furniture stores and their grocery...stores.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like we'll need a new OOC soon...any suggestions for the name?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground

"We Don't Have No Koizumi, Man"?
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-12-07 at 02:00 AM.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ace_cipher_zero View Post
    Hey, I thought the same thing too. If you're really all that worried about it put some restrictions or downsides on it (for instance, if my guy gets interrupted while using his power, he won't be able to talk, and usually has a mini-siesure kinda thing).
    Alright. Unfortunately I have little experience with the actual series, but I guess all that's really necessary is a general idea of the setting ('least, that's what I'm getting from the OP), which I might do some research on.

I'll assume that the characters start out at around Level 1 or so for "Has Power, but just starting off". Not sure of all the criteria for a full profile though (and I usually take my sweet time making one anyways).
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    Alright. Unfortunately I have little experience with the actual series, but I guess all that's really necessary is a general idea of the setting ('least, that's what I'm getting from the OP), which I might do some research on.
    That's right. Deeper knowledge of the setting helps, of course, but it's not essential. There's one detail that you should know about in advance, though: The vast majority of Espers are made, not born. With a few exceptions, humans can only gain Esper abilities through artificial means, combined with intense mundane training regimens. Currently Academy City has a monopoly on the only known method of doing this, which is why practically all Espers live there.

That may have seemed like a fairly minor point to bring up, but it's destroyed many a backstory in its time. So many settings take the 'Supers develop naturally' angle, that many people naturally assume it works that way in Railgun as well.

I'll assume that the characters start out at around Level 1 or so for "Has Power, but just starting off". Not sure of all the criteria for a full profile though (and I usually take my sweet time making one anyways).
    Your character doesn't have to start at Level 1 if you don't wish it. We're trying to limit the number of extremely high-power Espers, but beyond that there's no restriction beyond basic balance. As for profile criteria, this might be a good source to check.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ettin in the Playground

A general idea will take you far, but if you look on the wiki then you'll find definition of common terms and a sort of...abridged version of the setting (plus locations and characters unique to this setting).

Also, welcome!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #1447

Thanks. My idea of "Research" just involves browsing wikipedia and getting an idea for the terms and setting. Which I did.

Avery Tychus
    Spoiler
    Show

Aliases: Typhus, Agent Typhus, The White Rider
    Level: 3
    Abilities
    Esper Ability: Pestilence
    Avery can inflict disease upon others as well as being able to create a malleable mucus. The disease is airborne, transparent to the naked eye and controllable via a technique Avery dubs "Unda Morbus". The disease itself is mostly debilitating and weakening (symptoms include coughing, nausea and physical disorientation), but not particularly dangerous without extra focus. Heavy use causes the disease to affect Avery herself, who normally has enough control to keep it suppressed.

The mucus is secreted from her hand and can be molded and formed into an elastic adhesive of sorts.

Appearance: A bit taller than average, with short greying hair. Dark green trenchcoat lined with multiple pockets. Grey, somewhat tired-looking eyes, (Sorry, I'm usually not good with physical descriptions. I'll add more if needed)

Personality: Avery is actually surprisingly upbeat and friendly and while she tends to keep to herself as well as having tomboyish tendencies, she generally believes in getting along with others and can be easily riled. While otherwise rational, she's under the impression that the world she lives in is equivalent to that of comics and that she's a superhero at nature. This leads her to be quite excitable at times when it comes to helping people or coming into some sort of conflict.

Physical Traits:
    Agility: Avery is actually rather quick on her feet after taking classes in ballet as a child. Though she'd rather not look back, they did pay off in the long run.

Combat Pragmatism: In combat, Avery favors using the environment to her advantage and general trickery in a belief that relying solely on her powers will end up being her downfall.

Mental Traits:
    I've Seen That Before: Avery's experiences with comics and videogames has led to a certain level of awareness of conventions that she tends to apply to life. However she has a tendency to apply them incorrectly, assuming that people tend to follow said behavior naturally.

Driven: When properly motivated, Avery can be incredibly determined and focused as she enters a state of mind like a comic book hero. This includes passionate overdramatics and an unwillingness to quit.

Equipment
    Gas Mask: The mask that Avery uses in places she considers necessary to hider her identity. Kept in her backpack for the most part.

Wrench of Justice: A Pipe Wrench that Avery owns as a weapon.

It's what I got so far and I know it's far from perfect. I'll fix it/add more if needed.
    In real life that is.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks. My idea of "Research" just involves browsing wikipedia and getting an idea for the terms and setting. Which I did.

Avery Tychus
    Spoiler
    Show

Aliases: Typhus, Agent Typhus, The White Rider
    Level: 3
    Abilities
    Esper Ability: Pestilence
    Avery can inflict disease upon others as well as being able to create a malleable mucus. The disease is airborne, transparent to the naked eye and controllable via a technique Avery dubs "Unda Morbus". The disease itself is mostly debilitating and weakening (symptoms include coughing, nausea and physical disorientation), but not particularly dangerous without extra focus. Heavy use causes the disease to affect Avery herself, who normally has enough control to keep it suppressed.

The mucus is secreted from her hand and can be molded and formed into an elastic adhesive of sorts.

Appearance: A bit taller than average, with short greying hair. Dark green trenchcoat lined with multiple pockets. Grey, somewhat tired-looking eyes, (Sorry, I'm usually not good with physical descriptions. I'll add more if needed)

Personality: Avery is actually surprisingly upbeat and friendly and while she tends to keep to herself as well as having tomboyish tendencies, she generally believes in getting along with others and can be easily riled. While otherwise rational, she's under the impression that the world she lives in is equivalent to that of comics and that she's a superhero at nature. This leads her to be quite excitable at times when it comes to helping people or coming into some sort of conflict.

Physical Traits:
    Agility: Avery is actually rather quick on her feet after taking classes in ballet as a child. Though she'd rather not look back, they did pay off in the long run.

Combat Pragmatism: In combat, Avery favors using the environment to her advantage and general trickery in a belief that relying solely on her powers will end up being her downfall.

Mental Traits:
    I've Seen That Before: Avery's experiences with comics and videogames has led to a certain level of awareness of conventions that she tends to apply to life. However she has a tendency to apply them incorrectly, assuming that people tend to follow said behavior naturally.

Driven: When properly motivated, Avery can be incredibly determined and focused as she enters a state of mind like a comic book hero. This includes passionate overdramatics and an unwillingness to quit.

Equipment
    Gas Mask: The mask that Avery uses in places she considers necessary to hider her identity. Kept in her backpack for the most part.

Wrench of Justice: A Pipe Wrench that Avery owns as a weapon.

It's what I got so far and I know it's far from perfect. I'll fix it/add more if needed.
    Perfect or not, it's certainly a good start. While it would be nice to know a little more about Avery's place in the world (age, affiliations, etc), what you've written still gives a clear picture of her as a person. Her special ability seems like a good addition to the roster of powers, with plenty of growth potential (literally).

Speaking of which, how long does her signature disease take to start showing symptoms after infection? And can it actually spread on its own? It's not quite clear whether the disease is something natural that's being manipulated by her powers, or if it's an artificial creation which can't survive without them.

9. - Top - End - #1449

Yeah, Apologies. I was getting a bit tired when I wrote that, so I likely skimped on details. Plus, I've never been great with going into details at particularly great length.

I'll fix what I can.

The Symptoms are near-automatic, starting with dizziness and coughing. It's not contagious in that if it's targeted for one person, that one person will not pass it on. The virus itself seems to be partially derived from enzymes within Avery, her immunity system being able to keep it in check for the most part, though if she strengthens the disease (causing physical nausea) she begins to feel the symptoms. As her level grows, her general immunity does so as well (and I know I'm failing Biology right now, but I fell asleep in Biology class).

The history is a bit more complicated for me right now, so can I solve that problem later? Plus, I usually prefer to have characters who start off as a Newcomer as to avoid cases of "I was always here" or something.

One major problem: I operate on a vastly different time zone than most people here. Chances are that I will only be on when others are off, so there's that problem.
    In real life that is.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ettin in the Playground

The Symptoms are near-automatic, starting with dizziness and coughing. It's not contagious in that if it's targeted for one person, that one person will not pass it on. The virus itself seems to be partially derived from enzymes within Avery, her immunity system being able to keep it in check for the most part, though if she strengthens the disease (causing physical nausea) she begins to feel the symptoms. As her level grows, her general immunity does so as well (and I know I'm failing Biology right now, but I fell asleep in Biology class).
    That all sounds fine.

The history is a bit more complicated for me right now, so can I solve that problem later? Plus, I usually prefer to have characters who start off as a Newcomer as to avoid cases of "I was always here" or something.
    There's no need to worry about that; Writing a history is entirely optional. Plenty of people prefer to have their characters' backstories emerge naturally during play. No, the information that I was wondering about was more related to where she stands at the moment. Such as: How old is she? What school (if applicable) does she attend? That sort of thing. But even those can be left till later if need be. If you like you're quite welcome to jump into the IC with what you have already, working out the other details as they come up.

One major problem: I operate on a vastly different time zone than most people here. Chances are that I will only be on when others are off, so there's that problem.
    You might be surprised how many people on these boards keep strange hours...

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ettin in the Playground

I have an....odd problem with the character. Not she herself mind you, but rather her power. It seems like it nudges the 'science or magic' line a bit too heavily with it creating living (if microscopic) organisms. No one else seems to have that much a problem with it, so I'm willing to let it go if everyone else is, but might I suggest she causes the same unwell feeling by some other means?

Nothing else springs to my mind right now, but I'll keep thinking.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I have an....odd problem with the character. Not she herself mind you, but rather her power. It seems like it nudges the 'science or magic' line a bit too heavily with it creating living (if microscopic) organisms. No one else seems to have that much a problem with it, so I'm willing to let it go if everyone else is, but might I suggest she causes the same unwell feeling by some other means?

If it were a case of Avery creating new life out of nothing I'd be inclined to agree with this. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. While some of Pestilence's text is open to interpretation, it does appear to state that Avery's signature disease is already present within her body in some form, being kept in check by her immune system. In other words, her power merely enhances the abilities of pre-existing organisms. We already have Espers who can do this with macroscopic organisms like plants, so doing the same with bacteria seems equally valid.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    If it were a case of Avery creating new life out of nothing I'd be inclined to agree with this. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. While some of Pestilence's text is open to interpretation, it does appear to state that Avery's signature disease is already present within her body in some form, being kept in check by her immune system. In other words, her power merely enhances the abilities of pre-existing organisms. We already have Espers who can do this with macroscopic organisms like plants, so doing the same with bacteria seems equally valid.
    True, which is why I said it only nudges the line and I'm willing to be cool with it if no one else minds. But the writing of Pestilence suggested (to me) that it's present within her body but she also creates more of it via her ability.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ettin in the Playground

True, which is why I said it only nudges the line and I'm willing to be cool with it if no one else minds. But the writing of Pestilence suggested (to me) that it's present within her body but she also creates more of it via her ability.
    Yes, but why is that a problem? That's what would be happening anyway, with or without her power to help it along. Bacteria grow and multiply as a matter of course; They don't need an Esper to increase their numbers. Enhancing their fecundity isn't allowing them to do anything they couldn't already. It simply means that they'll do it faster.

15. - Top - End - #1455

The character sounds interesting. I'm wondering though, how would people be healed? Does the disease have to be halted by Avery or would one be able to recover it by themselves? Could the disease be fatal at higher levels?

This is more my curiosity speaking then anything else. ^^"
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but why is that a problem? That's what would be happening anyway, with or without her power to help it along. Bacteria grow and multiply as a matter of course; They don't need an Esper to increase their numbers. Enhancing their fecundity isn't allowing them to do anything they couldn't already. It simply means that they'll do it faster.
    Yeah, I thought of that after my last post.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Pestilence looks like a subset of the same "powerset" I used to justify Hinata's abilities - namely, control over organic compounds. The ability itself is based on a rather simple natural phenomenom, but since that single phenomenom governs such a large scale of effects, it manifest as something that's, at a glance, bizarre.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

18. - Top - End - #1458

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    The character sounds interesting. I'm wondering though, how would people be healed? Does the disease have to be halted by Avery or would one be able to recover it by themselves? Could the disease be fatal at higher levels?

This is more my curiosity speaking then anything else. ^^"
    If people are just hit with an initial wave, it's actually a relatively temporary effect unless it's sustained. The worst she can do is make people pass out in a pool of their own vomit, and that itself is she'd rarely do since it's both physically strenuous and mostly unnecessary.

I'm sorry that I'm not particularly great with descriptions. Damn me and my inability to stay awake during science classes (or at least until the teacher wakes me up). If I remember, I also failed "Technobabble 101", so there's that. I initially used this character in a Marvel AU-style RP, so that explains the relative liberties.
    In real life that is.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Alternatively, she could just create the symptoms of sickness without creating life itself. Things like fevers, runny nose, coughing, vommiting, chills, and diarrhea are just natural immune system responses that are created by the host's body. Headache is from dehydration of the brain. Infected tissue is sometimes burst by the host's own cells to cause inflamation during allergies. Its not too hard to stimulate sickness if you have the kinds of posers ESPers are able to have without making a single bacteria divide.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ettin in the Playground

Alternatively, she could just create the symptoms of sickness without creating life itself. Things like fevers, runny nose, coughing, vommiting, chills, and diarrhea are just natural immune system responses that are created by the host's body. Headache is from dehydration of the brain. Infected tissue is sometimes burst by the host's own cells to cause inflamation during allergies. Its not too hard to stimulate sickness if you have the kinds of posers ESPers are able to have without making a single bacteria divide.
    Yes, but it's a lot more plausible to do all that via bacteria than to have a power which just creates the symptoms. Besides, it seems as if Callos has withdrawn his original objections anyway.

21. - Top - End - #1461

BarbarianGuy

Yes, but it's a lot more plausible to do all that via bacteria than to have a power which just creates the symptoms. Besides, it seems as if Callos has withdrawn his original objections anyway.
    ... Huh? Why would bacteria be more plausible? The entire realm of microbes is ridiculously complex, both in their numbers and different people's reaction to them. And there are very, very many of them, each different, in everyone's body... to select the right one to do certain symptoms would be a lot harder to provoke than a simple immune response. All it is is setting off people's alergies in a way, since alergies are an immune response to inappropriate stimuli.

And yes, I know he did, but I still figured that if there was a way to make it more like hard sci-fi pretty much at no cost, I figured why the hell not suggest it?

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ettin in the Playground

... Huh? Why would bacteria be more plausible? The entire realm of microbes is ridiculously complex, both in their numbers and different people's reaction to them. And there are very, very many of them, each different, in everyone's body... to select the right one to do certain symptoms would be a lot harder to provoke than a simple immune response. All it is is setting off people's alergies in a way, since alergies are an immune response to inappropriate stimuli.

And yes, I know he did, but I still figured that if there was a way to make it more like hard sci-fi pretty much at no cost, I figured why the hell not suggest it?
    While it might look that way at first, on closer inspection it seems easier to deal with causes than effects. If you have a power that simply makes bacteria do everything they'd normally do (except faster), then all of the trickier parts are handled for you; Causing specific symptoms, creating mucus, etc. These are all things that the germs would be doing anyway, with or without the Esper's help. Thus, they just need to house some of it in their body, make it grow faster and let nature take its course.

In contrast, controlling a person's immune responses directly (and simultaneously) in order to simulate a germ's effects seems a good bit trickier. It can obviously be done, but from the Esper's point of view it's a lot more work than it would be when delegated to the germs themselves. It also creates awkward questions like 'Why can they only cause this one specific set of symptoms?' In the first case the answer is easy: 'Because they've only got one germ, and housing several at once would be dangerous'. In the second? Well, there's always incompetence, inexperience and lack of imagination, but those are more excuses than actual reasons.

In the end it's largely a matter of perspective, but for me personally the original version seems simpler. Plus, it has the advantage of being the exact one that hanzo originally wanted; If that version is already balanced, what need is there to alter his vision of it?

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ogre in the Playground

Trolls The microscopic world sure is weird!

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1464

Look, I'm sorry for not really thinking more about it. As explained earlier, I'm bad at explaining things. I guess my original basic version of the thing is that the bacteria breeds within her body and that she's able to control it somehow. Didn't know I'd start a massive debate.
    In real life that is.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Orc in the Playground

Look, I'm sorry for not really thinking more about it. As explained earlier, I'm bad at explaining things. I guess my original basic version of the thing is that the bacteria breeds within her body and that she's able to control it somehow. Didn't know I'd start a massive debate.
    No no no! Don't be! All we were doing was trying to help you out a bit by offering suggestions...it just so happened that we wanted to debate the finer points of said suggestion.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not a problem, this isn't the first time a minor bit of clarification was given that spawned a debate entirely it's own. Heck, you wouldn't believe what would start massive debates in free-form games.

27. - Top - End - #1467

Well, I appreciate the help. To settle this, is it OK if we just say that while the reasoning she gives is that it's a special bacteria, she's a relatively unreliable narrator as far as this goes and the full details are relatively shaky?
    In real life that is.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I appreciate the help. To settle this, is it OK if we just say that while the reasoning she gives is that it's a special bacteria, she's a relatively unreliable narrator as far as this goes and the full details are relatively shaky?
    Yes, that's fine. In any case, try not to be put off by all the discussion that Pestilence has sparked. This is exactly what usually happens when a new power is proposed. Also, there's no need to wait for us to finish debating the finer points of bacterial interaction; You're welcome to post IC any time you like.

29. - Top - End - #1469

BarbarianGuy

Yes, that's fine. In any case, try not to be put off by all the discussion that Pestilence has sparked. This is exactly what usually happens when a new power is proposed. Also, there's no need to wait for us to finish debating the finer points of bacterial interaction; You're welcome to post IC any time you like.
    Yeah, Anyr is right.

But not about the bacterial infection stuff because the responses are triggered by the same chemicals/signals between all people, and its not a given that two people have the same bacteria. Thusly, more simple :P

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ettin in the Playground

Avery - District 7

"'Tokiwadai Middle School', eh?"

As the girl waved bye to the van that brought her over to the campus, she checked the pamphlet she got back home. Said something about how it's meant to "Facilitate her Growth". Or something like that. Basically, it was "hey, since you're a ticking time bomb as far as we know you'll be in a whole 'nother country so that you aren't our problem anymore". And to think, she tried so hard to make sure she wouldn't be a problem.

Ah well. A new world, a new life and... Whatever else goes into intro episodes. Something something tune in for the next episode.

Lugging her suitcase to the front door, she made her way inside to find the office. Or at least someone who can point her in the right direction...
    Just to check, are you actually intending for Avery to be Level 0 at this point? As was mentioned before, practically all Espers are created in Academy City through a special training program; New arrivals are just ordinary humans until they've been through it. There are a few extremely rare exceptions to this rule (known as Gemstones), but we're trying to limit their numbers as much as possible. In other words, Avery will probably need to be an established citizen if you want her to have powers.

Of course, it's perfectly fine for you to make Avery a newly arrived Level 0, if that's what you want. I just wanted to make sure that you knew all the facts.