New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Q257

According to the text of enervation, the negative levels it bestows cannot result in permenant level loss, because they don't last long enough. Does enervation force a fortitude save if a caster of level 12 or higher applies the Extend Spell feat to it, causing them to last for 24 hours? If so, is the DC equal to what enervation's DC would be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Q257

According to the text of enervation, the negative levels it bestows cannot result in permenant level loss, because they don't last long enough. Does enervation force a fortitude save if a caster of level 12 or higher applies the Extend Spell feat to it, causing them to last for 24 hours? If so, is the DC equal to what enervation's DC would be?
    You cannot apply Extend Spell to Enervation, as it has an instantaneous duration.

@V Sorry.
    Last edited by Lucky; 2007-07-08 at 12:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

A 257

You can not apply extend spell to an enervation spell because it has a duration of Instantaneous

An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat. An extended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

emphasis mine

edit: Ninja
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2007-07-08 at 12:41 AM.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

A257 comment

While Extend Spell doesn't apply here, if you did have some way to extend the duration of the negative levels enough, they would indeed force a save 24 hours later.

In this case, the save DC would be the standard "any save caused by a spell DC": 10 + spell level + your spellcasting ability modifer + any other modifiers you may have.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #695
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q258
    Are there any feats that allow you to attack in a grapple without taking a -4 penalty to hit?

Q259

Does using the constrict ability granted by the Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance use any action?
    You can constrict an opponent that you grapple by making a successful grapple check.
    Last edited by Captain van der Decken; 2007-07-08 at 08:05 AM.
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

A. 258

Nothing comes to mind....

A. 259

You can make a grapple check in place of an attack, so if your BAB is high enough you can potentially use the constrict ability more than once per round.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

7. - Top - End - #697

Q. 260: Has the feat progression for monsters changed between 3.0 and 3.5? I've gone over a few online SRDs and haven't found an explicit answer, but I've never gotten around to picking up a 3.5 MM, which I'm sure would clear it right up.

In 3.0, monsters got feats for every 4 HD + any bonus feats. When I've looked over some of the sample dragons in the Draconomicon, it seems like that's been upgraded to 1 new feat for every 3 HD. Has it changed?
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

A. 260

Everyone, monsters and non-monsters alike, get a feat for every 3 HD in addition to the feat gained for the first HD (Unless otherwise noted in the creature's entry or Type*).

* Some Constructs, Oozes, Plants, Undeads and Vermin have an intelligence score of "-", which mean they do not get feats (or skills) based on HD.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-07-08 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Clarification on exception
    LLS

9. - Top - End - #699

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    A. 260

Everyone, monsters and non-monsters alike, get a feat for every 3 HD in addition to the feat gained for the first HD (Unless otherwise noted in the creature's entry or Type*).

* Some Constructs, Oozes, Plants, Undeads and Vermin have an intelligence score of "-", which mean they do not get feats (or skills) based on HD.
    Booyah! Thanks. It was looking that way, but I wanted to confirm it before I start statting out a few critters from my homebrew world for 3.5. Yes, it really has been that long since I've run a D&D game.
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 257 corrolary:

What if a spell replicated by a Shadow spell originally requires components that make the spell nonsensical if ignored (like the big chest required to cast Leomund's Secret Chest, or the gems to be crushed for Dramaji's instant summons)? Do you use the focus item or component then?
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Troll in the Playground

A. 247 Corollary

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    Q 257 corrolary:

What if a spell replicated by a Shadow spell originally requires components that make the spell nonsensical if ignored (like the big chest required to cast Leomund's Secret Chest, or the gems to be crushed for Dramaji's instant summons)? Do you use the focus item or component then?
    No, you only use the components required by the Shadow spell (V,S), not what is required bu the spell you seek to duplicate.
    LLS

12. - Top - End - #702
    Orc in the Playground

Q 258
    On the subject of constriction, do you gain the constrict damage on each successful grapple check, even when the check does something else, and do you deal damage when you beat an opponent's check during their turn?
    Ralien, my elf soulknife, by Magioth.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

A. 261 (Not 258)

(The question before referred to an old question (247))

Quote Originally Posted by Callix View Post
    Q 258
    On the subject of constriction, do you gain the constrict damage on each successful grapple check, even when the check does something else, and do you deal damage when you beat an opponent's check during their turn?
    Constrict is a special attack, so you only apply damage from Constrict when that is what you are actually trying to damage your foe through grappling (Or when establishing a hold with Improved Grab).

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Constrict (Ex): A creature with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The amount of damage is given in the creature’s entry. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab.
    Improved Grab (Ex): If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents. A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text). When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-07-08 at 03:50 PM.
    LLS

14. - Top - End - #704
    Halfling in the Playground

Q262 Push/Drag Movement Speeds

According to the PHB, you can push/drag something up to 5x your maximum load. What would your speed be at pushing this much, and what about if you're pushing 5x your light load?

This came up when someone with 18 strength wanted to drag a 200 pound body, is he medium encumbered and thus moving at 20 feet (base 30)?
    If we the spirits hath offended, think but this and all is mended; that you didst slumber here, whilst this message didst appear.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

15. - Top - End - #705

Quote Originally Posted by XBobbis View Post
    Q262 Push/Drag Movement Speeds

According to the PHB, you can push/drag something up to 5x your maximum load. What would your speed be at pushing this much, and what about if you're pushing 5x your light load?

This came up when someone with 18 strength wanted to drag a 200 pound body, is he medium encumbered and thus moving at 20 feet (base 30)?
    A 262

If he picks the body up and carries it, and that puts him at medium encumberment he'll move at 20 ft.

While the RAW does not explicitely state this, it appears to imply that dragging moves at a rate of 5 ft per full-round, as if lifting the maximum load off the ground. However, a DM who values realism over rules might be convinced to allow faster dragging for lighter loads.

Lifting and Dragging

A character can lift as much as his or her maximum load over his or her head.

A character can lift as much as double his or her maximum load off the ground, but he or she can only stagger around with it. While overloaded in this way, the character loses any Dexterity bonus to AC and can move only 5 feet per round (as a full-round action).

A character can generally push or drag along the ground as much as five times his or her maximum load. Favorable conditions can double these numbers, and bad circumstances can reduce them to one-half or less.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-07-09 at 07:38 AM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

wink Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

If he picks the body up and carries it, and that puts him at medium dismemberment, he'll move at 20 ft.
    Medium Dismemberment? *OUCH!*

Remind me not to pick up too much gear when you're DMing.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

17. - Top - End - #707

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Medium Dismemberment? *OUCH!*

Remind me not to pick up too much gear when you're DMing.
    ... Stupid spell-checker...

Fixed.
    The Tangled Web

18. - Top - End - #708

Q 263

If Maximize Spell is applied to the spell Snake darts(sorry) (pg 122 Carc) is the poison damage maximized as well?

Edit: And for that matter, would Empower spell effect poison damage as well?
    Last edited by Pink; 2007-07-08 at 10:32 PM.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

A 263

As a variable numeric effect of snake darts(I assume that's the spell you meant), the Constitution damage is affected by the use of the Empower Spell and Maximize Spell feats.
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Orc in the Playground

Q264

The prerequisites for the Invisible Blade PrC class (CWar) are Point Blank Shot and Far Shot. That has to be a misprint, those feats have nothing to do with the classes abilities. Is there an errata or other official source listing the correct feats?

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

A. 264

No.

You could always throw your daggers at the intended target.
    LLS

22. - Top - End - #712
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 265

I started a thread to get an answer for some of my character creation questions and I got directed here. So here goes.

Does the +4 to special abilitie DC's from Vow of Non-Violence apply to the calming aura and the DC for enemy weapons to shatter from Vow of Peace?

So if I had a cha of 10 at level 1, would the DC for the calming aura be 11, or 15?
    http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=59017308

Help out a hungry vamp. Click on this please.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Orc in the Playground

Q 266

Does a druid gain more hitpoints for wildshaping into a animal that gives him a CON bonus?

24. - Top - End - #714
    Barbarian in the Playground

A266
    No.

Detailed answer, see here.
    Last edited by squishycube; 2007-07-09 at 12:20 PM.
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

A. 265

Yes, but the DC for your example 1st level, 10 CHA character would only be 14. (10+0.5x1+0+4, rounded down)
    LLS

26. - Top - End - #716

Q 267

A. What are the rules for rounding?

B. When using a weapon with two hands, that applies strength and a half, for someone with 12 STR/+1 modifier, how does that work? Do I add 1 or 2?
    The Tangled Web

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Yes, yes, that's all well and good, but you have to take that extra attack with the attack that triggers it. Otherwise, you're not making your extra attack with the first. Please note: "When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons..."
    There's an established way to specify what you're reading into this feat, and Improved Trip provides an example:
    If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.
    It's already clear that you can make other attacks before the Snap Kick attack because of the "one or more melee weapons" language, so there's no immediacy involved. Why is a Snap Kick delayed by 9 more attacks (using all the TWF and flurry of blows options) OK, but a Snap Kick after a single move action not?

"When ... you can" just means in the same round. If they'd meant "immediately", they would have used that word, just as they did in the Improved Trip and Snatch Arrows feats.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

A. 267

A)

ROUNDING FRACTIONS

In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the fraction is one-half or larger.

Exception: Certain rolls, such as damage and hit points, have a minimum of 1.
    B)

1. (See above)
    LLS

29. - Top - End - #719
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Natural Bond questions

Q 268:

A) Can Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer) be used to improve a higher level druid's animal companion? I don't think this is right, but as written it seems like if you're an 7th level druid with a dire wolf for example, your effective druid level with that animal companion is 1st, so can you take natural bond to raise your effective druid level to 4th?

B) Same vein, but could a Beast Master with multiple animal companions (some of them at a penalty) take Natural Bond to improve one of them to their HD?

Thanks in advance,
    -Jervas.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Troll in the Playground

A. 268

Yes.

I actually think that use of the feat like this was intended.
    LLS