New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

Laser Light Cannon, The Lion Trilogy(Especially Lion 3) and Giant Woman are my current gotoos.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    I was wondering about that myself. It might make more sense if Jasper forced her to fuse and was actively trying to keep Malachite together to avoid the precise scenario you describe, but... that's not how it went down.
    My thought is that Jasper is a very strong physical combatant, strong enough to get some solid hits in on Garnet and strong enough that she stick Lapis in a holding cell and catch her before she could fly away. I think what Lapis is counting on is that Jasper is mentally weaker than she is, and that she can keep her under control through Malachite.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    What episodes would the Universe Thread recommend. I'm aiming for as few as possible as an introduction, but I think we could probably shoot for around 4 to 6, considering the length of episodes.
    I'd consider opening with Rising Tides, Crashing Skies. It's like, designed for the purpose. Then the premier for season 2 (which recaps everything in song) or maybe start back with Jailbreak. Most of season 2 is good-to-great, but you could toss in a few of the highlights from season 1, like Alone Together or Maximum Capacity. That's my approach anyway.
    Last edited by Lacuna Caster; 2015-08-02 at 11:19 AM. Reason: RTCS. Not KBCW. Damn.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    My thought is that Jasper is a very strong physical combatant, strong enough to get some solid hits in on Garnet and strong enough that she stick Lapis in a holding cell and catch her before she could fly away. I think what Lapis is counting on is that Jasper is mentally weaker than she is, and that she can keep her under control through Malachite.
    But in that case, why not just leave the job to Garnet & co.? Jasper was already pretty beat up after the crash, so if the policy was simple containment, the other gems could have worked to poof her. Stick her in a bubble, job done?

It's possible Lapis wasn't thinking very clearly. Or maybe this was her idea of revenge.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    But in that case, why not just leave the job to Garnet & co.? Jasper was already pretty beat up after the crash, so if the policy was simple containment, the other gems could have worked to poof her. Stick her in a bubble, job done?

It's possible Lapis wasn't thinking very clearly. Or maybe this was her idea of revenge.
    Lapis wanted to end it her own way. Like she said, she was tired about being pushed around. She doesn't really like the Crystal Gems herself, seeing as how she thinks they are responsible for her being in a mirror (by proxy of not realizing she was alive and inside of it). So Lapis decides to do things HER way.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    She doesn't really like the Crystal Gems herself, seeing as how she thinks they are responsible for her being in a mirror (by proxy of not realizing she was alive and inside of it).
    Except the way the Gems behaved in Mirror Gem suggests that maybe they did know Lapis was inside the Mirror. They all get a troubled look when Steven says the Mirror is like a person, like maybe they're worried that Steven stumbled across something that he wasn't supposed to know about. They also get pretty creeped out when the Mirror actually does talk to Steven, which is weird because it seemed friendly enough. In fact, thinking of it as a serious threat as opposed to just, "Hey, how 'bout that?" is also odd considering the weird stuff they normally deal with.

7. - Top - End - #67

Except the way the Gems behaved in Mirror Gem suggests that maybe they did know Lapis was inside the Mirror. They all get a troubled look when Steven says the Mirror is like a person, like maybe they're worried that Steven stumbled across something that he wasn't supposed to know about. They also get pretty creeped out when the Mirror actually does talk to Steven, which is weird because it seemed friendly enough. In fact, thinking of it as a serious threat as opposed to just, "Hey, how 'bout that?" is also odd considering the weird stuff they normally deal with.
    I never said Lapis was right, just that that's what she's seeing. When you've been heavily damaged and shoved in a mirror for a long time you tend to go a little stir crazy. I do agree that the Gem's where trying to protect him from the truth in that situation though.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's possible that a history mirror can be powered by a Gem, but not all of them are and even when they are they tend not to be as self-aware as Lapis was. (which now that I think about would foreshadow her mental fortitude in fusing with Jasper)

That said, I'm not surprised they would be creeped out if they even had the slightest suspicion it was a Gem. Regardless of how friendly it was acting everything in the Crystal Gem's experience has led them to be afraid of other Gems. They didn't consider negotiation with Lapis, Peridot was treated as a threat immediately. And although weirdness is a bit of a fact of life for them, the Crystal Gems at least know enough about most of that weirdness to know that sapient objects typically mean Gems. (Steven is the one that's unaware of all of this, the others not only have an extensive knowledge on ancient Gem items, most of them were likely even alive when it was created. (with the exception of Amethyst for some of the older stuff, but even she's probably been taught most of what the others knows))
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

9. - Top - End - #69

I got the impression that they knew gems could be made into magic items in general (perhaps it was some kind of very taboo technique, at least for Crystal Gems, since Homeworld doesn't seem to care a lot), but weren't aware of specific artifacts created this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #70

Pearl specifically said it was Gem Powered.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Popping in for a second again to say that it's hope for moments like these in the future that get me going every morning.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Popping in for a second again to say that it's hope for moments like these in the future that get me going every morning.
    Assuming Jasper and Peridot turn completely.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    She did. She also said that she had no idea the Gem contained within the Mirror would be so powerful.

Also, I rewatched the Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem because they seem relevant to the discussion. As crass as it is to say so, if Lapis ever unfuses from Jasper I kind of want to see her make a fart joke again.

Assuming Jasper and Peridot turn completely.
    I seem to recall reading that one of the shows writers said that Peridot might be redeemed. Obviously I don't have a direct quote or anything and I'm not up for hunting it down at the moment. I'm not so sure about it, personally. I get that fans like Peridot because she's goofy and fun, I like her too, but she's also... not a nice person. Like, at all.

Jasper seems even less likely to be redeemed. Stranger things have happened though.

14. - Top - End - #74

I took that to mean a lowercase-g gem (like that from a monster, or a shard), not an uppercase-g Gem (like a person).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I took that to mean a lowercase-g gem (like that from a monster, or a shard), not an uppercase-g Gem (like a person).
    I don't think there's as clear of a distinction as most people would be comfortable with.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

I just finished catching up with this series. It got off to a slow start, but then got interesting. The most interesting parts, to me, are the Homeworld Gems, the war, Rose and assorted lore and backstory. It's pretty obvious that if the Homeworld Gems come back in force - which is all but guaranteed - the Crystal Gems will be hopelessly outmatched.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Also, I rewatched the Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem because they seem relevant to the discussion. As crass as it is to say so, if Lapis ever unfuses from Jasper I kind of want to see her make a fart joke again.
    Yeah, rewatching Mirror Gem and mentally replacing the recordings with Lapis's voice gives a much greater insight into her normal behavior. It is kind of surprising that she really did warm up to Steven in the brief time they spent together, even to the point where she risked revealing herself to the Crystal Gems (aka the ones she blames for her imprisonment and was pretty terrified of in her helpless state.) just to get Steven to smile at another fart joke.

It's kind of why I hope she doesn't get killed off, because I really want to see the return of Beach Summer Fun Buddy Lapis and just watch her and Steven clown around together.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

All I really want to see is Stevonnie using Rose's sword. Or specifically, Connie throwing the sword into the air and fusing with Steven while it's falling back down so Stevonnie catches it.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I don't think there's as clear of a distinction as most people would be comfortable with.
    There isn't, no. Though at the time of the Mirror Gem episode that wasn't clear. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it was only the following episode that it was definitively stated that the Gem Monsters, (implicitly Shards as well,) used to be Gems. As in people.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    All I really want to see is Stevonnie using Rose's sword. Or specifically, Connie throwing the sword into the air and fusing with Steven while it's falling back down so Stevonnie catches it.
    The new titles seem to suggest that Connie will start using Rose's sword regularly. She seems like she has a much better idea of what she's doing swordsmanship-wise than Steven. Though Stevonnie should be able to use Rose's sword and Rose's shield at the same time-- which would be cool as that would make her the first character to do so since Rose herself.

20. - Top - End - #80

I've read a few theories that postulate that Steven will only be able to fuse with other Gems under specific Circumstances.

1: Steven's half human nature, while responsible for his ability to fuse with organic beings, makes it harder to fuse with other Gems. As Steven's powers are tied to emotions, fusing with Connie would Boost his powers(because he'd have two sets of emotions to draw from) and being stronger could then fuse with other Gems-IE, Stevonnie substitutes for Rose Quartz in Fusions

2: Steven can't fuse with gems at all... Except for Pearl, because Pearls are organic. The resulting fusion becomes a new version of Rainbow Quartz, and Rainbow Quartz Mrk II may or may not be able to fuse with other Gems

3: Steven can only fuse with preexisting fusions, and only if they stable fusion and in sync with each other. This ability will be discovered in an episode that involves Steven bonding with Garnet.

4: Steven can somehow combine with Lion. Stevion counts as more than 50% Gem and can thus fuse with Gems

Thoughts on these theories?(none of them are mine)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

*snip*
    Can't say I'm a big fan of any of those. How would Lion, and Steven even fuse? Although the idea of Steven, and Lion dancing in a tango is hilarious. So I guess that theory's got that going for it.
    *snip*
    I seem to recall reading that one of the shows writers said that Peridot might be redeemed. Obviously I don't have a direct quote or anything and I'm not up for hunting it down at the moment. I'm not so sure about it, personally. I get that fans like Peridot because she's goofy and fun, I like her too, but she's also... not a nice person. Like, at all.

Jasper seems even less likely to be redeemed. Stranger things have happened though.
    I've seen Peridot compared to Zim, and I think the comparison is rather apt. Both are green, likable, and somewhat incompetent. They also share fanbases that don't quite seem to realize how terrible they are.

Actually, I'm really hoping that Peridot won't be redeemed. It just doesn't seem right to me.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    I've seen Peridot compared to Zim, and I think the comparison is rather apt. Both are green, likable, and somewhat incompetent. They also share fanbases that don't quite seem to realize how terrible they are.

Actually, I'm really hoping that Peridot won't be redeemed. It just doesn't seem right to me.
    Personally she reminds more than a little of Gizmo from Teen Titans. Both are tech-savy villains with a habit for immaturely insulting their enemies. They both even wear green and they both even use mechanical limbs (assuming that theory that Peridot's detachable limbs are some form of artificial augmentation rather than simply part of her physical form.)

They're also both incredibly pesky villains for the heroes of their shows. (Though Peridot is much more amusing to watch than Gizmo.)

I've also seen her compared to Jack Spicer from Xiaolin Showdown. Not quite the same attitude, but the parallels of a tech-savy, amusingly incompetent villain with a penchant for robots and personal helicopters is very present.

Edit:

To add to that though, for all her amusing nature, I would prefer she was left unredeemed. She's no Jasper, but we've seen little to no indication she has any disagreement with Homeworld's plans for Earth. To top it all off she seems disturbingly complicit with the creation of the Cluster (even if she wasn't directly responsible for it.)

Plus a lot of her charm is derived from her status as an annoyingly persistant villain.

An amusing post and comic I saw on the subject
    Last edited by Ravian; 2015-08-04 at 01:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that you mention it I do see a little bit of Zim and/or Gizmo in Peridot. Maybe a bit more of the former though, as a lot of her humor comes from the fact that she's a bit of a doofus.

I'm skeptical that redemption arc could be done for her, but the show's surprised me before. One thing occurred to me-- what if Steven is finally able to heal all the corrupted Gems that are bubbled at the Temple? I recall reading a theory that Peridot's getting crazier is actually her becoming corrupted. If that's the case if Steven were to heal all the corrupt Gems, Peridot might be among them. I suppose that might be a redemption of sorts...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    *snip*
    Edit:

To add to that though, for all her amusing nature, I would prefer she was left unredeemed. She's no Jasper, but we've seen little to no indication she has any disagreement with Homeworld's plans for Earth. To top it all off she seems disturbingly complicit with the creation of the Cluster (even if she wasn't directly responsible for it.)

Plus a lot of her charm is derived from her status as an annoyingly persistant villain.

An amusing post and comic I saw on the subject
    Oh my god, that comic is great. I really hope that's how she ends up now. It's to the point where I would rather have Jasper be redeemed than Peridot.

Thinking about what could happen to Peridot I could see her finally doing something right, and contacting homeworld. Homeworld Gems come, and Peridot gets to go back to being a Beleaguered Bureaucrat. I think that would make the most sense all things considered.
    EDIT:
    Now that you mention it I do see a little bit of Zim and/or Gizmo in Peridot. Maybe a bit more of the former though, as a lot of her humor comes from the fact that she's a bit of a doofus.

I'm skeptical that redemption arc could be done for her, but the show's surprised me before. One thing occurred to me-- what if Steven is finally able to heal all the corrupted Gems that are bubbled at the Temple? I recall reading a theory that Peridot's getting crazier is actually her becoming corrupted. If that's the case if Steven were to heal all the corrupt Gems, Peridot might be among them. I suppose that might be a redemption of sorts...
    That theory is plausible, but even if she is healed/redeemed I will settle for no less than a passive-aggressive dork. There's something off putting about the idea that her personality could change completely because Steven "heals" her.

If she really is being corrupted expect some horrifying, and/or gutwrenching moments with everyone's favorite doofus. Perhaps that's what happens in the next Steven Bomb?
    Last edited by StabbityRabbit; 2015-08-04 at 11:11 AM.
    Show
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Play nice, boys.
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.

25. - Top - End - #85

Jasper is on Peridot's side. Remember how they interact? Even if Steven turns her to Team Crystal Gems, she'll still be awful.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Peridot comes across as someone who obeys orders and doesn't particularly care about their fallout, so long as the fallout doesn't hit her. She's a henchwoman, though and through.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-08-04 at 11:14 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Jasper is on Peridot's side. Remember how they interact? Even if Steven turns her to Team Crystal Gems, she'll still be awful.
    Are you saying that Jasper would be terrible, or Peridot? It's rather unclear based on your post.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Honestly there would be amusement in either of the two joining team Crystal Gem but I guess the likelihood of Peridot joining would be higher based on Steven's brief interactions.
    Plus it would be amusing having a fish out of water character.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think Lapis is pretty much guaranteed to be at least an ally, if not a crystal gem herself. An ally to Steven, not to the Gems, mind you.
    But I think at least one of the two homeworlders is going to join up. I think Peridot is a bit more likely due to fan support and some hints in their interaction, though I personally I think having her as a nuisance villain would be more entertaining. I would be surprised if Jasper ends up joining, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE, and I think there is some potential for interesting interactions there. If she did join, I could imagine her being kinda tsundere.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Lapis is 100% to the Crystal Gems what Tigerbot and Air-razor were to the Maximals in Beast Wars.