New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Actually, the Malacath Quest
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cursed orc tribe was not a cruel act, it was to punish Chief Yamars who was a weak to protect his people. He was kinda an jerk and gloryhound who deserve to die. Skyrim quest are greyscale though (Some Daedric Quest). Sheogorath quest can also be intepreted as trying to sooth the mad emperor's mind.
    A typical example where the third option is not available is the haunted house quest...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get roped into a quest with two options: Support the extremely evil Daedric Prince and torture a guy to death TWICE (same guy) OR side with the guy and instead help his just as evil Daedric Prince. It works just the other way, too; if you visit that shrine first, it is no better.
    The third option I took was to simply kill the guy myself, outside, hence deliberately failing the quest.

Basically I want to be able to at least flat out refuse, and that would close the quest. I know it's not terribly important, but I hate to have open quests that I will not do, and I cannot close, in my log / journal.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #632
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, Skyrim really needs an "abort quest" option so you can get rid of stuff you either don't want to do or which has irretrievably bugged out...

3. - Top - End - #633
    Dwarf in the Playground

I haven't read this whole thread (nor all of the other threads before it), so sorry if this has been brought up before, but I have a question that I've kept forgetting to ask. On two occasions now I have had random NPCs (I don't remember whether they were named) approach me, give me an item (in one case an iron dagger with soul trap, in the other an elven shield with a bonus to blocked damage) and ask me to hold onto it for a while. These events were quite some time ago. Is there ever going to be a time when these NPCs return for the items they gave me, or was it some weird "random item drops out of the sky" random event?

As for the Black Star,
    Spoiler
    Show
    I ended up getting it restored, so no reusable black soulgem for me. I dunno, I sort of like Azura and didn't feel like severing the star's connection to her. Kind of a roleplay-ish reason for my style, but there it is I suppose. i haven't really had to use it up to this point though. Weapon enchantments seem to last longer in Skyrim and soulgems seem more plentiful than in Oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Yup. Bethesda is sending a clear moral lesson. Being good gets you less content. No one let Jack Thompson's successors know.
    The bitter, cynical side of me rejoices.

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    A typical example where the third option is not available is the haunted house quest...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get roped into a quest with two options: Support the extremely evil Daedric Prince and torture a guy to death TWICE (same guy) OR side with the guy and instead help his just as evil Daedric Prince. It works just the other way, too; if you visit that shrine first, it is no better.
    The third option I took was to simply kill the guy myself, outside, hence deliberately failing the quest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can side with the guy? Hmm, didn't know that. I loved the lead-in for that quest though. It was the first daedric quest I stumbled into, and I really wasn't expecting it after the shrine-finding to start every daedric quest in Oblivion, so it made for a nice surprise.

Basically I want to be able to at least flat out refuse, and that would close the quest. I know it's not terribly important, but I hate to have open quests that I will not do, and I cannot close, in my log / journal.
    Oh yeah. I had to use the console to skip past a thieves guild quest that got bugged (something about it not showing up if you go to a certain location prior to starting that quest I think--I did a lot of aimless exploring early on before starting on many quests), and after the 1.4 patch it suddenly showed up, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
    All dice need rolly, even d12's. rolly = love

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by d12 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can side with the guy? Hmm, didn't know that. I loved the lead-in for that quest though. It was the first daedric quest I stumbled into, and I really wasn't expecting it after the shrine-finding to start every daedric quest in Oblivion, so it made for a nice surprise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well you have to find the book detailing his religious beliefs in the haunted house. That allows you to run off to the shrine of his Daedric prince.

Quote Originally Posted by d12 View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread (nor all of the other threads before it), so sorry if this has been brought up before, but I have a question that I've kept forgetting to ask. On two occasions now I have had random NPCs (I don't remember whether they were named) approach me, give me an item (in one case an iron dagger with soul trap, in the other an elven shield with a bonus to blocked damage) and ask me to hold onto it for a while. These events were quite some time ago. Is there ever going to be a time when these NPCs return for the items they gave me, or was it some weird "random item drops out of the sky" random event?
    About 3 seconds after the guy runs off, the rightful owner of the item should run up to you, ask if you have seen the guy and then you can either lie and keep the item or hand it over to the second guy. In either event the second guy catches and kills the first guy (so no, he will never come back). Of course you can also kill the second guy and take the rest of his stuff, too...
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-02-07 at 03:21 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #635
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    About 3 seconds after the guy runs off, the rightful owner of the item should run up to you, ask if you have seen the guy and then you can either lie and keep the item or hand it over to the second guy. In either event the second guy catches and kills the first guy (so no, he will never come back). Of course you can also kill the second guy and take the rest of his stuff, too...
    Really? I don't believe that happened in either case. The instance with the dagger occurred in Dawnstar when I had just gotten the museum quest. I took it and just went on my way (may have fast travelled shortly thereafter). The second one was somewhere outside of Whiterun I think, near some kind of necromancy altar if I remember right (at the least, it was something unusual in the middle of the wilderness). The guy who gave the shield to me started sneaking off afterwards and I watched him for a while, because he seemed to be moving toward a couple giants, but eventually went on my way. Never approached by anybody asking about either item. At least I don't have to keep lugging them around just in case.
    All dice need rolly, even d12's. rolly = love

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I love blackreach... I wish there was an option to start another hold in it's ruins. With the dragonborn as Jarl of course.
    The place is big enough to fit Skyrim's entire population with room to spare. Combined with it's easily defensible entrances...Can you say "Helmsdeep Situation?" All of Skyrim could evacuate there in a time of war. Provided that you clear out all the Falmer, of course.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, the size of that place is unreal. I went up one those elevators thinking that it was a convenient way to get in and out that Bethesda had put in to let you unload loot and such. But then I saw all the elevators. Judging by the positions of the elevators, Blackreach must stretch under a third of Skyrim's total area. I saw a giant and a dragon down there, for Pete's sake!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Blackreach: Check out the lower map

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blackreach

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Blackreach: Check out the lower map

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blackreach

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Where do I get the next summon zombie spell? I have raise zombie and reanimate corpse. But now I'm starting to encounter creatures slightly stronger than reanimate corpse, so its time to find a more zombie raising spell.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Where do I get the next summon zombie spell? I have raise zombie and reanimate corpse. But now I'm starting to encounter creatures slightly stronger than reanimate corpse, so its time to find a more zombie raising spell.
    Phinis at the college of winterhold.

He's the conjuration professor... as an aside, if you find a staff with reanimate on it... keep it. Staff animated minions don't disintigrate when time runs out.

As a further aside if you don't mind leveling up restoration I think necromage can increase the level of undead you can animate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Stormcloaks vs. The Empire

Well, the whoel problem between the empire, the aldmeri and the nords is this: the almeri are plain evil and want to rule the world and lead it to purity (ok, not mentioned in so much words, but this is heavily implied). the Empire neds the Nords, the Orcs and the redguards to fight. those races are best in fighting and the empire knows that. So while the empire is regaining their strength, they need to give up a few minor things (at least, according to the empire). So the altmer play the "religious purity" card. The Nords have their beserkbutton (Talos is their version of the All-father after all) pushed and rebel (I can only assume the altmer know this and wanted this).

Now, it gets interesting after the completion of the Stormcloak questline... I sincerely hope the add-on will feature an aldmeri dominion attack, that would be awesome.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Well, the whoel problem between the empire, the aldmeri and the nords is this: the almeri are plain evil and want to rule the world and lead it to purity (ok, not mentioned in so much words, but this is heavily implied). the Empire neds the Nords, the Orcs and the redguards to fight. those races are best in fighting and the empire knows that. So while the empire is regaining their strength, they need to give up a few minor things (at least, according to the empire). So the altmer play the "religious purity" card. The Nords have their beserkbutton (Talos is their version of the All-father after all) pushed and rebel (I can only assume the altmer know this and wanted this).

Now, it gets interesting after the completion of the Stormcloak questline... I sincerely hope the add-on will feature an aldmeri dominion attack, that would be awesome.
    I'd pay to see the Dragonborn lure the Aldmeri troops to Secunda's Kiss.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Phinis at the college of winterhold.

He's the conjuration professor... as an aside, if you find a staff with reanimate on it... keep it. Staff animated minions don't disintigrate when time runs out.

As a further aside if you don't mind leveling up restoration I think necromage can increase the level of undead you can animate.
    I've been to him and leveled up conjuration as much as possible. But I'm looking for the next zombie spell and it doesn't seem like he sells it. Unless I'm blind, of course.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

14. - Top - End - #644
    Bugbear in the Playground

So there's a new high-res texture pack out today for PC. It's a 3GB download. Anyone care to have a look and do some before/after screenshots?

Oh, and something about a Creation Kit...
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've been to him and leveled up conjuration as much as possible. But I'm looking for the next zombie spell and it doesn't seem like he sells it. Unless I'm blind, of course.
    What's the highest level zombie spell you have? It seems that the highest three of that particular type are Revenant, Dread Zombie, and Dread Thrall.

I'm going to be making a Conjuration-focused Breton soon, but I'll be sticking to the Summoned weapons and the Atronachs, myself.
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2012-02-07 at 02:37 PM.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

16. - Top - End - #646

PaladinGuy

It's hard not to notice that Skyrim puts a morally ambiguous spin on just about everything. I always took this to mean that Bethesda's vision for Skyrim was for a place rife with corruption, internal conflict and brutality.

It's basically The Elder Scrolls: Grimdark Edition. Or if you prefer, Grimdark-lite. Because as morally bankrupt as Skyrim can be, it still doesn't really compare to 40K.

Also, Re: Black Soul Gems and not wasting souls, consider that even if you target only evil humanoids, what you're in effect doing is denying these people an afterlife. Instead, their souls are bound inside a gem until such a time as you decide to bind said souls to a weapon. Or worse still, you spend the soul that occupies a weapon, only so that you can shunt your newly captured soul into the weapon, and throw use of it's power, fragment and destroy said soul.

I mean...even if you're only targeting bandits, that seems pretty evil to me.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

They only sell the ones of your rank.

Level up conjuration to the next rank (IE qualify in levels for adept, master, whatever) and he'll have it.

Which is why alteration was annoying for me to level... all the good training spells are adept.

In any case. Dead thrall is awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Firbolg in the Playground

A high-resolution texture pack has been released on Steam for free.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post

Talos is not just all father to Nords, it is for the empire.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #650

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    So there's a new high-res texture pack out today for PC. It's a 3GB download. Anyone care to have a look and do some before/after screenshots?

Oh, and something about a Creation Kit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    A high-resolution texture pack has been released on Steam for free.
    It's official. My posts are invisible to anyone but me.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

21. - Top - End - #651

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    It's official. My posts are invisible to anyone but me.
    Ah, my quick searches of this page didn't find that (due to 'res' bringing up 'rest' and the like, I just checked 'rez' and 'resu', which is why I didn't see it).

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

The Creation Kit appears to have been released. In Steam go to your game library, set the filter to tools, find the Creation Kit entry, right click it and hit install.

23. - Top - End - #653

Aye, Creation Kit and High-Res texture pack. Downloading texture pack, will post impressions as compared to the 2K High-Res Texture Pack and various other texture packs from Nexus.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

ooh double quoted *ego rising*

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Talos is not just all father to Nords, it is for the empire.
    yes, but only in the eyes of the Nords he is worshipped as the all father, especially while the Empire allowed the Aldmeri dominion to outlaw and persecute Talos worship, it just thoes Nords who are that strongheaded
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Furthermore the nords are the ones who made the empire to begin with. 500 Nord warriors wiped out an entire elven civilization. The nords are some seriously Bad#@% People.

There is a reason that when the Nords finally got to the fight in the great war the Thalmor army was quite litterally obliterated. They barely had enough troops left in Cyrodiil to keep the bluff up through the White-gold Concordat.
    Less than 500, actually. There were 500 in Atmora, but they lost one ship in the crossing.

Also, the Thalmor army in Cyrodiil was completely obliterated. The Empire only sent word to the Thalmor when they realized they needed more time to prepare for Round 2.

Also, I'd like to point out that the Thalmor wanted the Civil War to continue indefinitely. Ulfric winning was won of their worst case scenarios. The sudden appearance of the Dragonborn throws a monkey-wrench into their whole plan.

Let's face it, the Dhovakiin is pretty much the second coming of Talos Stormcrown (yes, that was his full Nord name). Ulfric dubs the Dragonborn "Stormblade" and considers the Dragonborn as his adoptive kin by the end of the civil war. Ulfric (and by extension Bethesda) is clearly drawing parallels between the Dragonborn and Talos, much the same way he tries to draw comparisons between himself and Ysgramor.

P.S. To those saying that the Stormcloaks are a cult of personality and also that most of them are just simple farmers: you're wrong. It gets mentioned several times that most of the Stormcloaks were once part of the Legion. The Legion falls apart the same way the Stormcloaks would if Tullius is killed. As to what would have happened if Alduin hadn't interrupted the executions, there's no consensus on that in the game. Some NPCs think the rebellion would have ended. Others felt that the Nords would have seen the Empire for "what it really is" and the uprising would have gained momentum.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my gosh oh my gosh creation kit! And since it functions just like morrowinds I've already started on my first dungeon. It will be under whiterun and feature a skeletal dragon and traps. Puzzle and trap ideas more then welcome.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

...I really wish that I had Skyrim on the PC
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-02-07 at 06:26 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, Perhaps a puzzle room? Where opening one bridge closes another?

Otherwise, a pressure plate that swings a bridge in horizontally to seal off an area....

behind you.

Your precious follower is no longer there! Maybe even put in a quest follower just for this purpose.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah! Can't believe I missed the new thread for so long. Is the editor out yet? Where do I get it? I've got a mod to make!
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Argh I had forgotten how much of a pain it was to place lightsources since the editor does not give an accurate representation of how much light each source gives so I must physically enter the place in game to see if it's to much or to little.

In other news I'm now the proud owner of a cave entrance and a largish cave that look like they have around three suns in them.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-02-07 at 07:29 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled