New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Erfworld II: Finally thinking with portals, over a year later

Page 50, that means new thread.

Spoiler Tags: As a rule of thumb, please use them for at least a day after a comic comes out.

Erfworld

So... Inner Peace is playing out a trap laid by a nepharious hippie, and in the regular storyline
    Spoiler
    Show
    the trap has slammed shut on Parson's sorry ass.

Discuss!
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2013-01-18 at 12:00 PM.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Erfworld II: Finally thinking with portals, over a year later

Spoiler
    Show
    That means that Parson is going to get very... creative. And that is NOT something you want Parson to be if your his enemy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Can you provide a link to Erfworld proper in the first post?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Can you provide a link to Erfworld proper in the first post?
    done

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Sorry, but I can see the point of using spoilers when talking about a TV series that not everyone might have seen yet, or when using something like the Girl Genius sneaky gate to possibly see the comic before most people, but neither of those apply to Erfworld. The latest comic is up and available for anyone to read.
    That doesn't mean everyone HAS seen it, though.

Posting spoilers for a comic that has gone up within the last day or so (especially for a comic with an irregular update schedule like Erfworld) is tantamount to giving a spoiler to a new episode of a popular TV show as soon as the episode is done broadcasting: it's too soon to expect everyone who could see the episode to have seen it.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2013-01-17 at 05:40 PM.

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    the trap has slammed shut on Parson's sorry ass.

Discuss!
    well, Charlie's (apparent) intention, is to kill Parson, so it fits the plane.
    That said, given that Parson was pondering about the various fire levels, I'm almost sure he has already elaborated something peculiar, unespected and risky, for such a situation...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

...Posting spoilers for a comic that has gone up within the last day or so (especially for a comic with an irregular update schedule like Erfworld) is tantamount to giving a spoiler to a new episode of a popular TV show as soon as the episode is done broadcasting: it's too soon to expect everyone who could see the episode to have seen it.
    Spoilers have been annoying me for some time, mostly in other threads like the goblin one. But if that is what people want, so be it. I always check the comics first, then go to comment on them if there is a new one.

So as a rule of thumb, we use spoiler tags until the comic is one day old? Maybe add this rule to the first post.

I can't wait until that damn hippie gets whats comming to her! But I have found some new respect for Jillian. If you gotta be dumb, you gotta be tough. And that she is! BTW, why do we need to hear about every single time she goes to the bathroom?! We don't hear about Jack Snipe or King Banhammer or anyone else going to the bathroom.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Spoilers have been annoying me for some time, mostly in other threads like the goblin one. But if that is what people want, so be it. I always check the comics first, then go to comment on them if there is a new one.

So as a rule of thumb, we use spoiler tags until the comic is one day old? Maybe add this rule to the first post.

I can't wait until that damn hippie gets whats comming to her! But I have found some new respect for Jillian. If you gotta be dumb, you gotta be tough. And that she is! BTW, why do we need to hear about every single time she goes to the bathroom?! We don't hear about Jack Snipe or King Banhammer or anyone else going to the bathroom.
    I generally learn that there is a new comic from the threads themselves.

Sure - a day, maybe two.

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I generally learn that there is a new comic from the threads themselves.

Sure - a day, maybe two.
    I think we can circumvent this, if the first poster provides a link to newest comic or update in first post. Then everybody can click on that and read comic first before reading rest of post. Or just write "New comic up" and leave a few empty lines before commenting on content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I think we can circumvent this, if the first poster provides a link to newest comic or update in first post. Then everybody can click on that and read comic first before reading rest of post. Or just write "New comic up" and leave a few empty lines before commenting on content.
    Is there something about spoiler boxes which makes them difficult of which I am unaware? Because to me, clicking a button that's right there at the top right above this post before I type is simpler than adding a url. Simple enough, in fact, that finding a way to circumvent it feels like a waste of effort and thought.

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New page of Inner Peace is up

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Banhammer being smart or stupid here?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Olive's put a spell on him... because he's hers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    New page of Inner Peace is up

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Banhammer being smart or stupid here?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Someone on the Erfworld forums offered the theory that in actual fact, this is a test of loyalty, noting that there were similarities to a short story called 'A Game at Dinner' and that the name 'Banhammer' may play a role.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Someone on the Erfworld forums offered the theory that in actual fact, this is a test of loyalty, noting that there were similarities to a short story called 'A Game at Dinner' and that the name 'Banhammer' may play a role.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) There's no way Olive would agree to that. 2) Banhammer's already turned, or at least he's appeared to. 3) Orwell is clearly the most blindly loyal, it's not exactly fair to "Ban" him due to falling for a trick. 4) Everyone at the council in "A Game At Dinner" was implied to be a spy, including the narrator, who was relaying the story to his spymaster, while no one in this gathering is disloyal to their side except perhaps Olive. I could go on, but I believe I've made my point.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) There's no way Olive would agree to that. 2) Banhammer's already turned, or at least he's appeared to. 3) Orwell is clearly the most blindly loyal, it's not exactly fair to "Ban" him due to falling for a trick. 4) Everyone at the council in "A Game At Dinner" was implied to be a spy, including the narrator, who was relaying the story to his spymaster, while no one in this gathering is disloyal to their side except perhaps Olive. I could go on, but I believe I've made my point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) Who says Olive knows it's a trick?

2) What makes you say that? It shouldn't be possible. If he'd turned, Jillian would've become Ruler and he wouldn't have been able to send orders to his units.

3) That implies Banhammer is a fair guy.

4) I wouldn't know, I haven't read the story, just heard from the people on the Erfworld forum.

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    1) Who says Olive knows it's a trick?

2) What makes you say that? It shouldn't be possible. If he'd turned, Jillian would've become Ruler and he wouldn't have been able to send orders to his units.

3) That implies Banhammer is a fair guy.

4) I wouldn't know, I haven't read the story, just heard from the people on the Erfworld forum.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) My paranoia regarding Dame Branch says she knows (or at least suspects) a trick. Also, what we know of Banhammer suggests he doesn't have a dishonest bone in his body.
    2) Of course, he might turn last. I'll admit I didn't think of Jillian becoming Ruler once Banhammer turned.
    3) He's as fair as his self-image will let him be, and his self-image, again from what we've seen of him, would balk at screwing over his most loyal ally.
    4) It's from The Elder Scrolls. The link to the uesp page for it is here, if you're interested.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2013-01-21 at 01:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there something about spoiler boxes which makes them difficult of which I am unaware? Because to me, clicking a button that's right there at the top right above this post before I type is simpler than adding a url. Simple enough, in fact, that finding a way to circumvent it feels like a waste of effort and thought.
    None but my personal preference, and that's not really a factor here. So I'll do the spoilers, too.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say stupid. But it might be that Olive is actually honest to Banhammer here, at least in the short run. They might want Jillian to become barbarian, so she can kill Judy. In that case Olive can become ruler, and Banhammer seems to have fallen for her. In the long run Olive will screw him over, but that's another issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    2) Banhammer's already turned, or at least he's appeared to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He says right in the update that he'll turn last, otherwise everyone that hadn't already turned would go Barbarian.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Well. Now we know how Jillian ended up a Barbarian.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Well. Now we know how Jillian ended up a Barbarian.
    We already DID know how she ended up as a barbarian, she told Ansom back in book one. She was out doing merc work, she got a hat message about an incoming flight of dwagons, and she was a barbarian next turn.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2013-01-21 at 08:57 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    We already DID know how she ended up as a barbarian, she told Ansom back in book one. She was out doing merc work, she got a hat message about an incoming flight of dwagons, and she was a barbarian next turn.
    Which means she's going to turn. Olive thinks that what shes going to do is turn banhammer, than make him heir, abdicate, forcing Jillian to kill her own father in order to fulfill the prophecy. But that... isn;t likely imo.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    Which means she's going to turn. Olive thinks that what shes going to do is turn banhammer, than make him heir, abdicate, forcing Jillian to kill her own father in order to fulfill the prophecy. But that... isn;t likely imo.
    Wait a minute. Does Branch know about the second prophecy? The one involving the Ruler of Haffaton's death? 'Cause I'm not sure who would have told her.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait a minute. Does Branch know about the second prophecy? The one involving the Ruler of Haffaton's death? 'Cause I'm not sure who would have told her.
    Yes because it was Haffaton's former predictamancer that made that prophecy. Its the reason why Olive has been so obsessed with Jillian. Though not said directly, olive likely wants to make sure Jillian fulfills the prophecy but on her terms; meaning croaking Judy and making herself overlady.

Heck i'd even guess that Olive may already know about Delphie's prediction for Jillian and Wanda (though she has not told wanda). She may have found delphie's letter when they took goodminton... So in an effort to play fate to her own favor she left Goodminton just as it was so that "Gillian" would find the message just as delphie predicted. It would also explain how Olive was able to find Jillian so soon after she visited goodminton; after Jillian escaped, she knew Jillian was fated to end up in goodminton and just waited in the area near there for her so recapture her... his may explain why she would prefer Jillian to turn; the two are fated to be together and she again, wants them to do that on her own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    I think you might be confused... Olive is NOT the current ruler of Haffaton, so there is nothing for her to abdicate to allow someone else to rule. Judy is Haffaton's ruler. Olive is the current Heir. No need to get Jillian to croak her own father when she can get her to croak Judy.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2013-01-21 at 11:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sometimes I have problems with spoilers sticking (by this I mean that they don't open) if I'm on internet explorer at work, so I do prefer spoilers to be for only extremely long portions of text or for directly speaking to multiple users when not PMing. It has been a hindrance to me before on this site, and some sites like this from time to time.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

new comic update

Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, the situation is becoming hotter...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, the situation is becoming hotter...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Getting downright explosive infact. I like how Parson got the clue very quickly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there something about spoiler boxes which makes them difficult of which I am unaware? Because to me, clicking a button that's right there at the top right above this post before I type is simpler than adding a url. Simple enough, in fact, that finding a way to circumvent it feels like a waste of effort and thought
    I think it's fine to just use spoilers for the first few posts after a new update; anyone who sees a bunch of spoilers will know a new update is out. Using them for an entire day at a time results is a massive pain because you have to click on each one to read it, and it doesn't really serve any purpose when two or three spoilers in a row already give people all the warning they need.

Like, the number of spoilers on this page so far? Silly and hard to read. We never did anything like that before, and I find it majorly annoying, so I know I won't be using spoilers for a new update if there's been more than two "warning" spoilered posts so far.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2013-01-25 at 02:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Da Rulez

Spoilers Outside of a Spoiler Thread or Not Under Spoiler Tags

Some posters can't see a movie the day it comes out or read that book the day it comes out. So please either mask spoilers with the appropriate tags or post a thread with [spoiler] in the title if you wish to discuss something that people may or may not wish to view due to spoilers.
    Just sayin'...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I think it's fine to just use spoilers for the first few posts after a new update; anyone who sees a bunch of spoilers will know a new update is out. Using them for an entire day at a time results is a massive pain because you have to click on each one to read it, and it doesn't really serve any purpose when two or three spoilers in a row already give people all the warning they need.

Like, the number of spoilers on this page so far? Silly and hard to read. We never did anything like that before, and I find it majorly annoying, so I know I won't be using spoilers for a new update if there's been more than two "warning" spoilered posts so far.
    Most threads that refer to updating media (TV shows, comics, etc) use spoiler boxes for at least a while after an update. I could almost understand if this was for something like Drow Tales (which updates every weekday) but for an irregular update schedule it's not too much to ask for one bloody day with spoiler boxes in use.

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

What worries me the most for Parson is that Charlie's plan is to trap him there.

But obviously, Parson's forces can win the battle. Otherwise Jetstone wouldn't be in full retreat. The danger is regarding what will come next turn; has Charlie prepared a strike force to attack the cornered Parson next turn?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    But obviously, Parson's forces can win the battle. Otherwise Jetstone wouldn't be in full retreat. The danger is regarding what will come next turn; has Charlie prepared a strike force to attack the cornered Parson next turn?
    I wouldn't say that... according to Trem, Jetstone had better leadership and more troops on there side that gave them a semi-decent chance of winning; however the dangerous factor that could turn the tide in the battle was Wanda's decryption which would replenish their lost forces with jetstone's fallen. He was going to make a judgment after the king was safe on whether or not to attack, preferring to give up the city if he thought it was too risky.

GK may have gotten their CW bonus back, but they are missing wanda's decryption bonus and her power. Really, only reason Trem and the other's retreated is because this will NOT be the final battle and there is no sense in risking the entire side and their casters on this one battle (heck if wanda doesn't get their next turn to decrypt jetstone's fallen, this battle could turn out to be a huge loss for GK). By all means, Parson's got a serious fight on his hands.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2013-01-25 at 06:49 PM.