New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread

Alright folks, this will be the new discussion thread for VUACS, since the other thread has reached 50 pages.

To summarize what went down:

1. Genre: Arabian Nights/Desert Fantasy
    2. Thematic Priorities: Mystique/Travel/Tradition/Multiculturalism/Classic Threats/Fate & Destiny
    3. Magic Level: Moderate
    4. PC Races: Half-Djinn, Lizardfolk, Genasi, Half-Ghul, Kobold & Gnoll
    5. Human Percentage: 50%
    6. Primary Antagonists: Use of Magic
    7. Geography: Few Large Continents
    8. Primary Religion: One Single God
    9. Cosmology: Yin/Yang Planes
    10. Politics: City-States
    11. Advanced Classes: Alchemist, Dervish, Geomancer, Djinn Lord, Master of the Wastes, & Pharaoh
    12. Setting Title: Hourglass of Zihaja

Progress continues on all aspects of the setting. A new spoiler may be in the offering. Let the discussion commence!
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2008-12-02 at 01:13 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread

Will any 4e specific monsters be redone for the 3.5 element of the setting (possibly Kruthiks)?
    with another spoiler in the offing, I want to get as much information as I can.
    Will any monsters that exist in both editions be reskinned to better suit the setting (desert variant shambling mound perhaps)?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

No to all.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Will you be ditching the stupid alignments of 4e? White writing for the win!

Will the largest city be nicknamed Jewel/Gem of Desert/Sands?No, seriously. I like this.

Will we be getting any more teasers? Wooo! I'm invisible!! You can't read meee!!!
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Shadow hates them, but this is a campaign setting, not a game redesign. The overall design aesthetic is definetely biased towards 3.X, however.

Probably not.

Not a teaser. More of a spoiler.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I've asked the mods to close the old thread. We should have a link to the old thread in the OP, though, for clarity's sake.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Consider it done.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The powers that be have locked the old thread, which has the side benefit of preventing people from quoting the decapitation discussions that ultimately derailed the thread.

May the on-topic conversation commence.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

That reminds me, Zeta. Have you had a chance to look over the item I sent you?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Here, this will get the talk going. Here is a map of the campaign setting's primary focus:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    That reminds me, Zeta. Have you had a chance to look over the item I sent you?
    Look: Yes.

Have time to comment/critique: No.

I will tonight. It looks good so far. More detailed analysis to follow.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm, I really like that map. Lots of land to scatter hooks in, a nice bite-sized bit of green down in the bottom for more environs, and plenty of water to ply through in search of those long-lost islands everyone talks about. And a massive lake to boot. I like it.

Have y'all decided what the economic basis for this setting is going to be, perchance? For instance, being a desert, I can see water being an important commodity, so powers that have access to water, and can control that access, could be significantly more affluent than others.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I see a sea in the south. And a body of water that appears to be Great Lake-sized in the northwest as well.

Either of those freshwater?
    Last edited by Juhn; 2008-12-23 at 11:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hard to get a sense of scale on the map, but I´m guessing that the large body of water in the middle there is more of an inland sea than a lake?

I like the broken, scattered coastline. Much needed for secret islands, hidden coves and shipwrecks. The mountain range seems large and imposing, and tall enough to have permanently snowed peaks. Good, good.

The isthmus in the southwest looks like a prime spot for major political conflicts, and I´m extremely curious about the little piece of what looks like snow/ice to the southeast.

Also, I think the two eastern-most rivers actually joined halfway down is a nice touch .

Can we have more stuffs please?
    Cats have nine lives; they can afford to get killed by curiosity

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magnor Criol
    Have y'all decided what the economic basis for this setting is going to be, perchance? For instance, being a desert, I can see water being an important commodity, so powers that have access to water, and can control that access, could be significantly more affluent than others.
    Still in committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn
    Either of those freshwater?
    Oh, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheshireHat
    Hard to get a sense of scale on the map
    That bum. He removed the map scale!

but I´m guessing that the large body of water in the middle there is more of an inland sea than a lake?
    That would be correct. What you're looking at is a continent.

The isthmus in the southwest looks like a prime spot for major political conflicts, and I´m extremely curious about the little piece of what looks like snow/ice to the southeast.
    Oh, the isthmus has been talked about. It's one of my pet projects. As for what's below... mountains? A whole 'nother Arctic continent? Hmm...

Wha... you got this less than half an hour ago.

My god, how did you survive waiting until now?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

This is looking more and more interesting (and it was very interesting already at the start). Eagerly looking forward to new material.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The bottom-right corner confuses me. It would seem to be frozen, which means it's probably near one of the poles. The bottom-left corner, on the other hannd, is quite green, while one would assume it's at the same latitude.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if the white spots could be something other than snow and ice...?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I believe my keen eye has spotted a region that looks quite important, due to the local geography/presence of water

Spoiler
    Show

Don't hurt me I voted for saberdusk

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

And it even has a small bay, as well. At least, I think that's a bay. And it leads more-or-less directly to that mysterious white area.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2008-12-02 at 04:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    The bottom-right corner confuses me. It would seem to be frozen, which means it's probably near one of the poles. The bottom-left corner, on the other hannd, is quite green, while one would assume it's at the same latitude.
    England is on the same latitude as Siberia & central Canada. The British Isles are kept warm by ocean currents coming from equatorial regions. Tundral conditions are not universal by latitude, as mitigating factors can come into play. A view of the rest of the world of Siraaj will make this more clear.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

That's true.

I suppose I should refrain from asking such questions until we see a world map.

Though, if that is supposed to be tundra after all, then is this continent in the southern hemisphere?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    Though, if that is supposed to be tundra after all, then is this continent in the southern hemisphere?
    I don't have my stamp on me, but YES. The mountains are equatorial.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I do. No guarantees on a tundra, but

Yes.

The mountain range is approximately at the equator. This continent is in the southern hemisphere.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    England is on the same latitude as Siberia & central Canada. The British Isles are kept warm by ocean currents coming from equatorial regions. Tundral conditions are not universal by latitude, as mitigating factors can come into play. A view of the rest of the world of Siraaj will make this more clear.
    I saw what you did!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Lies. Siraaj, eh?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Still in committee.
    Wha... you got this less than half an hour ago.

My god, how did you survive waiting until now?

Coffee and sheer willpower

And anyway, I got more stuffs already! I like the name

Lets see if I can pull this off again...

Pretty please?
    Cats have nine lives; they can afford to get killed by curiosity

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

No. Wait until the main spoiler is posted.

That includes certain other persons.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Question about the map: Any reason there are no large rivers radiating to the north and east of the main continent?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

*shrug* It's a desert. Somewhere had to have less water.

Read:

because.