New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Netherese arcanist

Working on fleshing out a villain who is pulling the strings in my campaign and found this class which fits his lore but am confused with one of its requirements:
    Spells: Able to cast 13th-level arcane spells.
    since no spell in 3.5 exists above 9 (epic are considered 10th) how is this even possible?
    Last edited by j_spencer93; 2014-01-10 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Fix

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Netherese arcanist

A Heightened x4 Summon Monster IX is a 13th level spell.
    To cast such a spell you would need to take the Epic Feat: Improved Spell Capacity 4 times.

Alternatively you could take the non epic feats: Earth Sense, Earth Spell, Versatile Spellcaster and Sanctum Spell. This would reduce the cost to taking the Epic Feat: Improved Spell Capacity 1 time.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-01-10 at 04:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

oh ya forgot about that feat actually. Answer was so simple. Thanks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If I'm not mistaken, in 3.0 you could purchase higher level spell slots for the purpose of memorizing spells with metamagic modifiers that took them above 9th level. This may have held over into 3.5 but my personal rules for Epic Spellcasting are vastly different than what is in the books; so I don't know for certain.

Found it, Improved Spell Capacity.
    Last edited by vhfforever; 2014-01-10 at 04:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by j_spencer93 View Post
    Working on fleshing out a villain who is pulling the strings in my campaign and found this class which fits his lore but am confused with one of its requirements:
    Spells: Able to cast 13th-level arcane spells.
    since no spell in 3.5 exists above 9 (epic are considered 10th) who is this even possible?
    Technically yet it is. You need 13th level spell slots (from being Epic and taking the Improved Spell Capacity feat 4 times) and the Heighten Spell metamagic feat.

If you heighten a spell to 13th level (well two because of the spells requirement) then you meet the requirements for the class.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

As a side-note, I'd personally never even think about actually using the Netherese Arcanist PrC. Its benefits are trivial compared to the cost of banning entire seeds.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #7

Thanks for clarifying that, another question though. He is a Nethril Wizard that was trapped in the plane of shadows when the city of shade was sent to that dimension and only recently arrived back on the material plane, wielding the shadow weave and worshiping shar. He plans to kill Mystra's best followers to prove Shar's supremacy, this should bring him into conflict with my party (oddly all worship Mystra).
    would you want to play a session based on this (missions in my house usually take around 6 hours.)

8. - Top - End - #8

the Prc is simply flavor wise, the NPC its being used for is originally supposed to be a powerful wizard from that era and i thought it fit pretty well.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

You also need improved heighten spell to heighten a spell past ninth, so the "intended" entry for the class is something like:

Wiz 20/Epic Wizard 7

The class requires the "Improved Spellcasting" feat, which i don't think exists.

Other than that you need Improved Spell Capacity x4, and Improved Metamagic x 1, so you could take your first level of the class at 28, using your HD feats at 21,24, and 27, and your wizard bonus feats at 23 and 26.

Not that I'd recommend that.

10. - Top - End - #10

side note: sweet pic zanos.
    And i realize it is not entirely great but like the class flavor. My player's do not munchkin or optimize greatly so not to worried about a optimized villain.

11. - Top - End - #11

Thanks for clarifying that, another question though. He is a Nethril Wizard that was trapped in the plane of shadows when the city of shade was sent to that dimension and only recently arrived back on the material plane, wielding the shadow weave and worshiping shar. He plans to kill Mystra's best followers to prove Shar's supremacy, this should bring him into conflict with my party (oddly all worship Mystra).
    would you want to play a session based on this (missions in my house usually take around 6 hours.)
    Epic Caster combat of any sort is not single mission stuff, its "entire campaign adventure" stuff.

Netherese Arcanist also means a minimum of (assuming no tricks for earlier entry) a level thirty or so full arcane caster. This isn't "Oh, I'm going to kill a few followers to prove my gods superiority" but instead "I'm going to go and beat up (and bind) half a dozen Lesser Deities so that I can use their power to block Mystra from interacting with the material plane for a thousand years (or "So I can redirect all prayers offered to her to Shar", or something similarly extreme).

Dealing with the PC's is as trivial as taking Ignore Material Components and spending a week or so throwing out Ice Assassin's of the PC's to kill them. Can your party beat themselves twice over? How about three times over? Or Four?
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

12. - Top - End - #12

he will be opposed by numerous others around his level, for one any wizard using the weave and looks down upon or thinks the shadow weave is evil.
    He is actually planning on something bigger, but im ironing out the details of that right now to see how it works, eventually he wishes to become lord of magic on the material plane (maybe ascend to godhood but i try to avoid this)
    Edit: oh and he also is weakened greatly for the time being, he just awoke from a stasis like state.
    Last edited by j_spencer93; 2014-01-10 at 04:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

he will be opposed by numerous others around his level, for one any wizard using the weave and looks down upon or thinks the shadow weave is evil.
    He is actually planning on something bigger, but im ironing out the details of that right now to see how it works, eventually he wishes to become lord of magic on the material plane (maybe ascend to godhood but i try to avoid this)
    To be fair, the Shadow Weave is controlled by Shar, who is not a very nice person.

If he doesn't already have levels in it, that Shadow Adept prestige class is pretty good for shadow weave users.

I'm currently in a campaign where the city of shade is a pretty active component, and I'm actually playing a wizard who was a netherese arcanist, but was put into stasis by his contingencies when netheril fell.

It's good times.

14. - Top - End - #14

Its not like he just appeared and started this either, he was awakened by the players, caused a massive war to cover his covert acts on Faerun and now his power is rising again he is finding those most devote to Mystra and plans to use his mistresses magic (has a similar affection for shar as Thanos does for death, crazy devote to a flaw) to destroy them all until he regains his full might and aims for Elimenster. After clearing all Mystra powered wizards from the world, he plans to erect an empire dedicated to Shar on Faerun.

15. - Top - End - #15

lol very similar to my villain, also i know about Shar. And he has shadow adept, wish their more shadow weave feats and classes actually.

16. - Top - End - #16

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Technically yet it is. You need 13th level spell slots (from being Epic and taking the Improved Spell Capacity feat 4 times) and the Heighten Spell metamagic feat.

If you heighten a spell to 13th level (well two because of the spells requirement) then you meet the requirements for the class.
    Im pretty sure you dont need the Heighten Spell... you just need the 13th level slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dealing with the PC's is as trivial as taking Ignore Material Components and spending a week or so throwing out Ice Assassin's of the PC's to kill them. Can your party beat themselves twice over? How about three times over? Or Four?
    Okay, so, I'm curious: How are the PCs supposed to deal with that? Like put yourself in their position here. Do they do the same thing until the entire multiverse is filled with Ice Assassins and Gated Solars?

Like high magic is cool and all but it seems like it would just get very silly, or very boring quickly, with everyone spamming the same stuff until the end of time or until one party gets bored and leaves the setting entirely after having too many of their own Ice Assassin Astral Projected Duplicrulums destroyed.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    Okay, so, I'm curious: How are the PCs supposed to deal with that? Like put yourself in their position here. Do they do the same thing until the entire multiverse is filled with Ice Assassins and Gated Solars?

Like high magic is cool and all but it seems like it would just get very silly, or very boring quickly, with everyone spamming the same stuff until the end of time or until one party gets bored and leaves the setting entirely after having too many of their own Ice Assassin Astral Projected Duplicrulums destroyed.
    The best way is deliberately leave critical weaknesses that are covered on yourself with gear or spells and then Mind Rape yourself to forget about those weaknesses and how exactly your items protect you against them before putting a Craft Contingent Wish on yourself to restore your Mind Raped memories in the event that you ever see a copy of yourself.

Then there is just carrying a few dozen (or hundred or even thousand) "objects" that are really creatures with lots of HD and are all loaded down with Craft Contingent spells to protect you.

Sure, you copied me but did you copy my robes that have every silk thread containing an Ice Assassin Great Wyrm Red Dragon that is positively dripping with contingencies?

Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

19. - Top - End - #19

Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.
    I would like to sig this, with your permission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    I would like to sig this, with your permission.
    Go right ahead.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

21. - Top - End - #21

OldWizardGuy

The best way is deliberately leave critical weaknesses that are covered on yourself with gear or spells and then Mind Rape yourself to forget about those weaknesses and how exactly your items protect you against them before putting a Craft Contingent Wish on yourself to restore your Mind Raped memories in the event that you ever see a copy of yourself.

Then there is just carrying a few dozen (or hundred or even thousand) "objects" that are really creatures with lots of HD and are all loaded down with Craft Contingent spells to protect you.

Sure, you copied me but did you copy my robes that have every silk thread containing an Ice Assassin Great Wyrm Red Dragon that is positively dripping with contingencies?

You crazy...
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

22. - Top - End - #22

my players will only be lagging a few levels behind when they first meet, and one of my Pcs has outrageous magical items (lucky zelkuir death) and are quickly approaching epic and am wanting to bring my entire campaign to a close, so i think this guy is the BBEG. When they meet their party will be 3 epic casters that actually dont spam or use loop holes.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

From a villain perspective, I have a hard time seeing what value-add taking 5 lvx in netherese archaist brings over simply just going straight wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

24. - Top - End - #24

I honestly simply did it because of his story, also that class really does not add much at all that someone of the level required to take it prob would not already have or could get.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    That's one thing that always stumps me when I consider an epic, or even high-level high-op campaign. Once you open the pandora's box of Wish-loops, there's really no guideline for how far is logical for a given level.

Like - the 30th level Wizard can have clothes made of a multitude of minions. But - so can the 17th level Wizard (or lower, really). Or for that matter, and entire city where every cobblestone is a powerful minion. How do you even resolve two nigh-infinite forces fighting each-other?

I don't even think Epic Spellcasting is the dividing factor here, because while the lower-level Wizard can't get it directly, he can certainly create minions who are capable of doing so.

So - yeah, that's the question, actually. Is there anything a 30th-level Wizard can do, that a 17th-level one can't, once we open up Ice Assassin and such? Actually, is there anything said Wizard can do that a Commoner with a Candle of Invocation can't?
    Last edited by icefractal; 2014-01-11 at 02:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

I know my player's wont use any loop holes or cheese like that but honestly you have a point, in a game where players would use it, the game is kinda pointless.
    Anyways i am hoping the upcoming fight actually tears up the area (keeping good track of this stuff for they actually effect the world).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly simply did it because of his story, also that class really does not add much at all that someone of the level required to take it prob would not already have or could get.
    Yeah, its abilities basically amount to maybe ten points of mitigation and a handful of saved money, at the cost of never being able to develop about a third of the spells you could otherwise.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-01-11 at 03:06 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

28. - Top - End - #28

honestly if it had not been from flavor i wouldnt of even used it, after really paying attention to what it does i have to say this class is crap.