New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [d20r, Skills] Skill Sets

Upon taking the first level of a class, the player chooses a number of "skill sets" for that class. This skill set determines the class skills for the class and cannot be changed at a later time.

All classes treat the Profession and Craft skills as a class skills, regardless of skill sets.

A character who receives a skill from more than one skill set (or as a bonus skill from their class) receives a +1 synergy bonus for each skill set beyond the first that provides that skill.

For instance, a character who selects the Adventurer, Athlete, and Explorer skill sets will have the following set of class skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Awareness, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Geography, History, Nature), Perform, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Survival.

He will also get synergy bonuses to the following skills: Athletics (+1), Awareness (+2), Handle Animal (+1), Heal (+1), Ride (+1), Survival (+1)

Skill Sets
    Adventurer
    Athletics, Awareness, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, History), Sense Motive, Survival

Artist
    Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering, History, Local), Perform, Profession

Athlete
    Acrobatics, Athletics, Awareness, Concentration, Handle Animal, Perform, Ride

Bard
    Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local, History, Nobility and Royalty), Perform, Spellcraft

Bodyguard
    Awareness, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Sense Motive, Stealth

Diplomat
    Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local, Nobility and Royalty), Sense Motive, Speak Language

Druid
    Concentration, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Nature), Ride, Spellcraft, Stealth, Survival

Explorer
    Awareness, Decipher Script, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Geography, Nature), Ride, Search, Speak Language, Survival

Guard
    Awareness, Concentration, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Ride, Sense Motive

Lawman
    Awareness, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Search, Sense Motive

Mage
    Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana, The Planes), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

Merchant
    Appraise, Bluff, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering, Local), Profession, Speak Language, Spellcraft

Psion
    Autohypnosis, Concentration, Knowledge (Psionics), Psicraft, Use Psionic Device

Priest
    Concentration, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (Religion, The Planes), Sense Motive, Spellcraft

Sage
    Appraise, Cartomancy, Decipher Script, Gather Information, Knowledge (All), Speak Language, Spellcraft

Socialite
    Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Perform, Sense Motive, Speak Language

Spy
    Awareness, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Disguise, Gather Information, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Legerdemain, Search, Stealth

Thief
    Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Disable Device, Disguise, Legerdemain, Search, Stealth, Use Magic Device

Tinker
    Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge (Arcana, Architecture and Engineering), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

Trapper
    Acrobatics, Awareness, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Knowledge (Nature), Legerdemain, Search, Survival
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-12-26 at 04:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: [d20r, Skills] Skill Sets

interesting idea, so you could even have a fighter who is basd on survival and such things by skills alone.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaterTengu View Post
    interesting idea, so you could even have a fighter who is basd on survival and such things by skills alone.
    Exactly. It makes for more flexibility within classes while still providing a limiting factor on skill selection.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

fun, will their still be certain things that a class can not take/has to take, such as a druid taking druid skill sets.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I'd go one step further and allow, say, any one (or maybe two) skill(s) from your set to be swapped out with one (or two) from a different set, as an option to further customize.

So, for example, a Cartomancer with the Socialite set, who could still have Cartomancy and Spellcraft - WAIT!

What about giving each class two (or so) automatic Class skills, then you let them select a skill set on top of those. Any Class Skills that overlap get a +1 unnamed bonus. This has the side effect of subtly encouraging you to select a set that matches the archetype of the class, while simultaneously not unduly penalizing you if you want to explore something else. I like it!
    Last edited by UserClone; 2008-12-26 at 02:51 PM.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    I'd go one step further and allow, say, any one (or maybe two) skill(s) from your set to be swapped out with one (or two) from a different set, as an option to further customize.

So, for example, a Cartomancer with the Socialite set, who could still have Cartomancy and Spellcraft - WAIT!

What about giving each class two (or so) automatic Class skills, then you let them select a skill set on top of those. Any Class Skills that overlap get a +1 unnamed bonus. This has the side effect of subtly encouraging you to select a set that matches the archetype of the class, while simultaneously not unduly penalizing you if you want to explore something else. I like it!
    That's kinda how I'm doing it now. See:

Quote Originally Posted by d20r Rogue
    Skills: A rogue chooses four skill sets. 8 + Int skill points per level, x4 at first level.
    The cartomancer has a statement in theirs saying they always treat cartomancy as a class skill.

But I hadn't considered overlap. Perhaps a +1 synergy (?) bonus for overlapping skills from separate sets?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Absolutely, if the goal is, as I stated above, to slightly encourage synergistic/archetypal skills, without stepping on the toes of the player who wants the character with unusual skills for a given class.
    Last edited by UserClone; 2008-12-26 at 03:04 PM.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Ironically that would end up looking much like the 4e skill system.

Still a good idea.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Well, that makes sense, and I actually thought that same thing as I was typing that post, strangely enough.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Synergy bonus and example added. May add more skill sets soon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

What about Craft? All the base classes have it, IIRC...

Sheesh, if only it was this easy to get WoTC to listen to reasonable suggestions.

(Seriously Fax, great idea. It's another winner)
    Last edited by UserClone; 2008-12-26 at 03:37 PM.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

What about Craft? All the base classes have it, IIRC...

Sheesh, if only it was this easy to get WoTC to listen to reasonable suggestions.

(Seriously Fax, great idea. It's another winner)
    Hmm... Yeah, okay, I'll group Craft in with Profession as a "universal skill". Also added Psion skill set.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-12-26 at 03:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Do you plan to include any obscure and/or outdated skills such as Iaijutsu Focus, Truenaming (fixed, of course), or Martial Lore, or would they fall under the "supplemental" material?
    Last edited by UserClone; 2008-12-26 at 03:47 PM.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Do you plan to include any obscure and/or outdated skills such as Iaijutsu Focus, Truenaming (fixed, of course), or Martial Lore, or would they fall under the "supplemental" material?
    They'd fall under "Non-OGL" material, and as such I'm not touching them. Also, added Tinker and Bodyguard.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-12-26 at 03:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I don't play 3.Xe, but since this is supposed to sorta be the middle ground between 4e and 3e, I figured I might be able to lend a hand (plus, I'm bored )

Does this work?

Bard
    Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local, History, Nobility and Royalty), Perform, Spellcraft
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Yes it does. *adds*

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

How about each character class gets half the number of skill sets that the class currently grants class skills (i.e., 2 sets for a Druid, 1 set for a Wizard, 4 for a Rogue)

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

How about each character class gets half the number of skill sets that the class currently grants class skills (i.e., 2 sets for a Druid, 1 set for a Wizard, 4 for a Rogue)
    The classes actually state how many they get, though that's pretty much the general rule I'm using.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

very cool. *thumbs up*

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I thought of another one!

Lawbringer
    Awareness, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Search, Sense Motive, Spot

This would be Policemen (i.e. Purple Dragon Knights in FR's Cormyr) or perhaps a character who was a vigilante, or who helped the local authorities maintain the law.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I love it, I always disliked the limitation on skill sets, this definitely adds some more selection to the mix.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Here comes another!

Street Fighter
    Awareness, Acrobatics, Athletics, Concentration, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Gather Information, Survival
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Ooh, like weapon groups, but for skills. Me likey.

Come to think of it, the whole basic idea of a bunch of related abilities being packaged together seems like a good concept in general. You could probably do something similar with magic.

That's actually how clerics worked in AD&D, with spell spheres, right? Why the hell did they narrow that down to domains, and give every cleric that weird bag of healing, blessings, curses, buffs, and utility spells that often isn't thematically appropriate to the cleric and deity in question? (It's not inherently nonsensical, but it's a bit overpowering and a bit bland.)

You could group together related combat style abilities, too. Like the Ranger's options, but maybe more flexible?

Anyway, something to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I second the Weapon Groups and spell spheres-esque grouping of spells, as well, FWIW. Good job on the skills so far, IMO.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

I love the skill sets system, incomplete though it is (I'm referring to the description of the skills that are meant to replace core skills). I'm dying to create a character based on the Luckthief/Tarot Trickster class made by you and Lord_Gareth respectively, but I'd like to use core skills while still adapting the skill sets system. What is the conversion between your new skills and the old skill system, if I might ask?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    I love the skill sets system, incomplete though it is (I'm referring to the description of the skills that are meant to replace core skills). I'm dying to create a character based on the Luckthief/Tarot Trickster class made by you and Lord_Gareth respectively, but I'd like to use core skills while still adapting the skill sets system. What is the conversion between your new skills and the old skill system, if I might ask?
    Check the conversion basis here. I've not done an official write-up yet on what skills do what, but it's pretty simple to figure out.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

This is remarkable and bookmarked.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Were you going to have some sort of Investing for skills as well? I seem to remember such, but haven't seen anything on it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I just had a very similar idea this morning, of course also calling it Skill Sets. I like the ideas you have here, but you are moving in other directions with it than I will when I get to my implementation. So, if you see me come out with my own Skill Sets thread now you know that I'm not trying to copy you.

Anyway, I like what I see here. Skill flexibility is always a plus in my book, and the way that you've come up with to add synergy bonuses is a great one.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

One question, when a character levels up, he/she still gains skill points right? So she/he simply improves the skills that are within the skill set. Right?