New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Worst Prerequisites

Another thread for good-natured jokes toward WotC, this time on the topic of prerequisites.

Whether they're far too high, nonexistent or just plain weird, mention 'em here!

Some examples of what I mean, from the Most Useless Feat thread: You can take Spell Focus and certain Metamagic feats even if you have no means of casting anything. Skill Focus doesn't require ranks in a skill, so you can take in skills which are trained only, or, most oddly, Speak Language (for which you never make a check anyway).

Other examples: You can, for 50gp, own a magic item which gives off a Strong aura of Transmutation. Yes, Universal Solvent requires caster level 20 (and the Disintegrate spell). Sovreign Glue isn't much better, at the same caster level for little more than 1000gp.

Feats, items, classes, whatever. If it's 3.5 and has to do with prereqs, have a ball!

Edit: Thread title may not be the best for the topic, if you have a better one, please suggest it. Apologies if there's a general topic for this kind of thing, but I couldn't find one on the first page and couldn't remember having seen one (for such a thing, if opened up to general weirdness, would surely be ongoing). If there is, this can be closed or forgotten and I'll just make a post there.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2011-12-25 at 08:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Worst Prerequisites

Well Master of 9 is a pain in the butt to qualify for with all of its Feat Pre-reqs.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, obviously there Augment Summoning's prereq, Spell Focus(Conjuration), which doesn't benefit summons a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hushblade View Post
    Well Master of 9 is a pain in the butt to qualify for with all of its Feat Pre-reqs.
    Hell, for if you wanna see tons of feat prereqs, open up any given Forgotten Realms book.
    Last edited by Kaje; 2011-12-25 at 08:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kaje View Post
    Well, obviously there Augment Summoning's prereq, Spell Focus(Conjuration), which doesn't benefit summons a bit.
    but it does benefit conjuration in general, as there are a lot of DD conjuration spells
    Useful tips and hints for those wanting to try DDO out but are new (click the link and help my friend get 1 step closer to becoming a full time blogger) :)
    http://mylifeinstormreach.blogspot.com/

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by hushblade View Post
    I'm glad this is the first thing that was posted.

In general though, I hate all melee class pre reqs. Whereas so often caster prcs have 'any 1-3 metamagic feats' as a pre req, why can't non-caster prcs be afforded the same leniency? It's another way casters win on flexibility, because their prc pre reqs don't suck nearly as much. IE, instead of frenzied berserker requiring the crappy feats that it does, have it require any 2 rage feats instead of intimidating rage and destructive rage (those are the 2 right?). Skill requirements irk me for the same reason, I'd love for pre reqs to have more flexibility, it would allow for more creativity.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2011-12-25 at 09:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

One that I just saw in an other thread. The Demonologist requires you to have at least five levels in a spellcasting class but instead of advancing your original spellcasting like its devil counterpart (Diabolist) it gives you a brand new spellcasting progression that's even worse than your original one.

But that's bearable. Sure, finishing out the class pretty much ruins your casting progression in your original class forever, but quite frankly you deserve it for messing with demons. Besides, most of the Book of Vile Darkness's other prestige classes want you to do something awful to get into the class -- the words 'depraved' and 'disgusting' and 'perverse' get thrown around a lot, so simply submitting to a suboptimal build seems reasonable in comparison.

What's really obnoxious is the Invisible Blade prestige class, from Complete Warrior. It's a dagger-focused prestige class, so you would expect the requirements to be focused around using daggers.

Wrong.

It asks you for Far Shot and Point Blank Shot, two feats that are nearly useless to non-archers and whose benefits are unused by the actual class.. Why? I don't know.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Initiate of Pistis Sophia from the BoED. The only way to complete the prc pre-epic is by taking 10 levels of Monk ánd Vow of Poverty. And then you'd get 3 more Vows on top of that.

So I guess Mo9's prereqs are more of a pita, as it's a prc you might actually want to enter.
    Statistics show that 42% of people are annoyed by fake statistics in signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by [S]Faust[/S]Eric by Terry Pratchet
    “Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.” ~Rincewind

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

MotN gets special consideration at least. 5 feats, 4 skills to 10? Ridiculous!
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Hirax View Post

In general though, I hate all melee class pre reqs. Whereas so often caster prcs have 'any 1-3 metamagic feats' as a pre req, why can't non-caster prcs be afforded the same leniency? It's another way casters win on flexibility, because their prc pre reqs don't suck nearly as much. IE, instead of frenzied berserker requiring the crappy feats that it does, have it require any 2 rage feats instead of intimidating rage and destructive rage (those are the 2 right?). Skill requirements irk me for the same reason, I'd love for pre reqs to have more flexibility, it would allow for more creativity.
    On the other hand, casters have crazy stuff like Blood Mage.

"Wow, that trick looks awesome. How'd you do that, Jim?"
    "Oh, it's a odd bit of magic. Harder than it looks."
    "Could you teach me it?"
    "Well, are you fairly tough?"
    "Yeah, I'd say so."
    "Good at magic in general?"
    "Yep."
    "Okay, one last question. Have you ever died before?"
    "..." *Fireballs*
    "So... you don't want the training then."
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2011-12-25 at 09:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Initiate of Pistis Sophia from the BoED. The only way to complete the prc pre-epic is by taking 10 levels of Monk ánd Vow of Poverty. And then you'd get 3 more Vows on top of that.

So I guess Mo9's prereqs are more of a pita, as it's a prc you might actually want to enter.
    Isn't that the same book with the prestige class that automatically kills off your character upon reaching your capstone? And you have to actually be dead in order to get into the class in the first place?

It is, isn't it?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Telflammar shadowlord is a hard one.

Get three feats (maybe four), either a template or the shadowdancer class without GM alterations and a bucketload of skills.

How many prestige classes need another prestige class to qualify after all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jheska View Post
    Telflammar shadowlord is a hard one.

Get three feats (maybe four), either a template or the shadowdancer class without GM alterations and a bucketload of skills.

How many prestige classes need another prestige class to qualify after all.
    Yo dawg, I heard you liked convoluted prestige classes, so I put a convoluted prestige class in your convoluted prestige class you can.... um....

Okay.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Meditant is sort of rough (needing 4 feats) but definitely worthwhile if you want to go that route.

Blood Magus is tough - not because you have to die and come back to life, but because of the crappy feats :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Fochlucan Lyrist, full-stop.

"Okay, I've got my bard levels, I've got my druid levels, I've got my skill ranks and my—"
    "Evasion."
    "************."
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Universal Solvent requires caster level 20 (and the Disintegrate spell). Sovreign Glue isn't much better, at the same caster level for little more than 1000gp.
    No it doesn't. The listed caster level is a separate listing from the prerequisites, it is not a prerequisite but rather the assumed level of the item if found at random for item saves and the like.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Isn't that the same book with the prestige class that automatically kills off your character upon reaching your capstone? And you have to actually be dead in order to get into the class in the first place?

It is, isn't it?
    It is indeed.

Otoh, the Champion of Gwarrgarble the unspellable from the same book is a quite nice Barbarian prc with some good synergies.

@Steward: Iirc correctly the Invisible Blade's prereqs are an editing error from the 3.0 to 3.5 conversion, since it used to be one class together with Master Thrower.
    Statistics show that 42% of people are annoyed by fake statistics in signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by [S]Faust[/S]Eric by Terry Pratchet
    “Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.” ~Rincewind

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Another thread for good-natured jokes toward WotC, this time on the topic of prerequisites.

Whether they're far too high, nonexistent or just plain weird, mention 'em here!

Some examples of what I mean, from the Most Useless Feat thread: You can take Spell Focus and certain Metamagic feats even if you have no means of casting anything. Skill Focus doesn't require ranks in a skill, so you can take in skills which are trained only, or, most oddly, Speak Language (for which you never make a check anyway).

Other examples: You can, for 50gp, own a magic item which gives off a Strong aura of Transmutation. Yes, Universal Solvent requires caster level 20 (and the Disintegrate spell). Sovreign Glue isn't much better, at the same caster level for little more than 1000gp.

Feats, items, classes, whatever. If it's 3.5 and has to do with prereqs, have a ball!

Edit: Thread title may not be the best for the topic, if you have a better one, please suggest it. Apologies if there's a general topic for this kind of thing, but I couldn't find one on the first page and couldn't remember having seen one (for such a thing, if opened up to general weirdness, would surely be ongoing). If there is, this can be closed or forgotten and I'll just make a post there.
    amusingly, those caster levels? aren't prerequisites. they're just considered "standard" for that kind of item. outside of e6 or something (which turns them into prereqs iirc), they don't matter, and you can make the item as soon as you have the actual prerequisites. some items do have an actual CL requirement, but most don't.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfRogueGirl

Slayer of Domiel or however the heck you spell it. It's from BoED and is basically a good assassin, same set of skills etc. Just you're required to be good instead of evil. Oh and by the way you also need several exalted feats that do nothing for you, one which has two normal prereq feats you don't need either. And then the normal assassin pre-reqs.

Yhea BoED's prestige classes are overall ridiculous.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

1.Blackguard--Hide skill, why? Why would a blackguard need to hide? How does 'Evil Black Knight' and hide fit? Sure you could be a 'sneaky blackguard' with spiked full plate mail, shield and a nightmare and then..er...hide..on the battlefield. Sure sneak attack is nice, but it would have been better for the blackguard to get some more sneaky stuff to fill up the dead levels.

Plus cleave, improved sunder and power attack. Why all the martial attack feats? The blackguard is not 'that' martial of a class.

2.So the prerequisite is 'must be a 5th level sorcerer', sigh.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

^^ Go go Avenger (CG and CG are boned though)

^ Yep, Blackguard is a shining example of bad prc design (also of note is their companion gains spell resistance twice)

What about Horizon Walker's "given for free in the intended entry" of endurance?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    Fochlucan Lyrist, full-stop.

"Okay, I've got my bard levels, I've got my druid levels, I've got my skill ranks and my—"
    "Evasion."
    "************."
    I guess they wanted you to be a Ranger/Bard... and dip Druid to learn the language... or something?

Still, thanks to Incarnum we can thumb our noses at CAdv and its silliness.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-12-25 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

surprised at no mention of Vassal of Bahamut with it's kill an adolescent red dragon by your self. Remember this class is aimed at paladin's and fighters.

Also, Didn't Scion of Tem-et-nu have something weird to do with Hippos?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I guess they wanted you to be a Ranger/Bard... and dip Druid to learn the language... or something?

Still, thanks to Incarnum we can thumb our noses at CAdv and its silliness.
    I'm pretty sure the prereqs are meant to refer back to the 1E bard, which required you to be a kind of fighter/thief/druid IIRC. The problem is that 1E didn't have the strict leveling structure of 3E, and that bards were absolutely amazing in that edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

24. - Top - End - #24

presumably, that is why the "intended" entry of bard 2/druid 1/rogue 2/fochlucan lyrist allows one to finish fochlucan lyrist to 10 and end with druid +5, yielding a +16 to BAB, just enough to get the fourth iterative in time for epic.

somehow, I don't think that's a coincidence. three 3/4 BAB yielding a 4/4 BAB? feh.

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Primeval from Frostburn. I don't care what anyone says, I loved that class' abilities and concept. Holy crap do it's prereqs suck though. Endurance, Self Sufficent, and *drum-roll* toughness. Friggin' toughness. I think something workable can be made from a wildshape ranger/totemist, but man does it suck for just about anyone else.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Griffon

Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil does have the horrible prerequisites of Spell Focus (Abjuration) and Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration), the school with very, very few spells with saving throw DC, the first one not till 4th level, and for a spell having nothing to do with the theme. Spell Compendium I think offers one or two abjuration spells with saving throws below 4th level, but Initiate was published first. Prismatic Sphere is an abjuration spell with a saving throw, so they must have decided to use that as a basis, but big whoop. Those are two feats wasted for practically your entire pre-epic career.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Risen Martyr. 'Nuff said.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    What's really obnoxious is the Invisible Blade prestige class, from Complete Warrior. It's a dagger-focused prestige class, so you would expect the requirements to be focused around using daggers.

Wrong.

It asks you for Far Shot and Point Blank Shot, two feats that are nearly useless to non-archers and whose benefits are unused by the actual class.. Why? I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    @Steward: Iirc correctly the Invisible Blade's prereqs are an editing error from the 3.0 to 3.5 conversion, since it used to be one class together with Master Thrower.
    Not a conversion error, but Invisible Blade (originally a 10-level throwing-focused PrC) got butchered by the editors when writing the book.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Fochlucan Lyrist's requirements may be annoying, but Magelord's are downright enraging. It's absurd. I don't think it's actually possible for a normal character in a class that gets 9ths to actually get all 10 levels into one build unless you're using Beholder Mage or something, which only gets 3d6 Sneak Attack in benefits from the class. Maybe PAO cheese is required for entry so that you can be a monster with Evasion as a racial feature? It's really wierd.

Less difficult but more galling is Invisible Blade, which has been pointed out already as having completely unrelated requirements on account of being part of another class originally.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-12-25 at 11:15 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Fleshwarper is really hard to qualify for, thanks to the deceptive prereqs for the Graft Flesh feat (or whatever it's called). The class itself requires some 4 or 5 ranks in Heal, which is no big deal cross-class for most casters, but the Graft Flesh feat itself requires 10 (!) ranks in Heal, and you also need a familiar.