New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Pledge Drive Cameo

So, we know that someone pledged for the walk-on cameo option on the Kickstarter last year. Does anyone know if the cameo has occurred yet? I don't think it has, what with the hand injury sidelining Rich for so long, and most of the recent comics featuring characters that we've known for some time. However, I also have an exceedingly poor memory with respect to what strips came out when, so if the cameo occurred shortly after the end of the pledge drive, I may have missed it. I mean, the Azure City Resistance was getting crushed sometime around when the pledge drive ended, right? There's a lot of dead bodies there that could have been cameos.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pledge Drive Cameo

Nah, I think Rich would let us know which strip has the cameo when it appears.

3. - Top - End - #3

It's doubtful. The Azure city resistance falling was either characters we've definitely seen before or VERY generic elves and soildiers. A walk on cameo would be worthless without some mention of the character's name. Also, unlikely that the person who won had a character who wore blue and had Japanese influenced weapons.

The next scene we saw with them was the basic Azure city soldier, so not even remotely likely there.

The only other new characters were the plane of Ranch Dressing dweller and brave Sir Thumb. So no. We'll probably be told in comic or at the bottom of the comic when it occurs. It will most likely be recognizable. You would want to at least call attention to the character, even if it's just to ask for directions or bump into him.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The Kickstarter was announced a few strips after the Resistance got crushed.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps Rich's thumb bought the cameo?

Kidding.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2013-02-14 at 03:41 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    The Kickstarter was announced a few strips after the Resistance got crushed.
    Ah. Well, that answers that. Thank you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Perhaps Rich's thumb bought the cameo?

Kidding.
    More likely that than a hellhound, I gather.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe it was bought by someone with the screen name TheHellhound.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

The cameo hasn't happened. When I offered it, I had a specific (future) scene in mind that it will be easy to insert a character into, and we haven't gotten there yet. I've been in touch with the purchaser and they know that the comic is running way behind. When it happens, I will almost certainly mention it in the News.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~