New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Banned

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

I don't know. I also mostly don't know what they see when they call someone "cute". (It's easier when the picture is of someone expressly not cute, but young. Then I'm sure what they're seeing is youth.) There's legions of "friendly" about, and "nice". "Intelligent", well, try holding a real-life conversation with intelligence and listen to the long pauses that people try to fill with unintelligent prattle. But no, what I think truly annoys is that these categories don't overlap very much with "AVAILABLE".

No help here with modern phones, sorry. Still haven't even cracked the problem of mine not being willing to export the photos I've taken. There's some degree of on-board photo memory and it only wants to work with the pictures taken with the first SIM card, not mine.

[EDIT: OK, who deleted a post? This wasn't a double post when I began to compose it!]
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2010-07-13 at 07:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

oh crap! that was me
    I accidentaly posted my message twice, seems I deleted it twice.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eadin View Post
    oh crap! that was me
    I accidentaly posted my message twice, seems I deleted it twice.
    Are you sure you posted it twice? The server usually stops you from posting an identical message a second time.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #1414

I don't know...my screen showed it twice...
    but maybe it's my phone ...maybe he was still loading when I saw it...

anyways , I have found my post :
    yeah, okay
    Shortage isn't the same as absence
    I was trying to be funny
    I guess I failed
    Still, I don't get the shortage ...
    There are lot's of cute and friendly girls on this forum
    and I know quite a lot in real life
    Last edited by Eadin; 2010-07-13 at 08:07 AM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    I don't know. I also mostly don't know what they see when they call someone "cute". (It's easier when the picture is of someone expressly not cute, but young. Then I'm sure what they're seeing is youth.) There's legions of "friendly" about, and "nice". "Intelligent", well, try holding a real-life conversation with intelligence and listen to the long pauses that people try to fill with unintelligent prattle. But no, what I think truly annoys is that these categories don't overlap very much with "AVAILABLE"
    Well in any case the world is very much in shortage of intelligent people if its current state is any indication </cynicism>

But that aside, curse you quin for reading my mind! You must be of the second foundation! Or maybe the Mule. Are you the Mule?

Quote Originally Posted by Eadin View Post
    anyways , I have found my post :
    yeah, okay
    Shortage isn't the same as absence
    I was trying to be funny
    I guess I failed
    Still, I don't get the shortage ...
    There are lot's of cute and friendly girls on this forum
    and I know quite a lot in real life
    I thought it was funny!

6. - Top - End - #1416

Eadin: I missed it, but would I be correct in assuming that you had (jokingly) acted all offended that Superglucose had accidentally (or would have, if he meant absence rather than shortage) insinuated that you didn't exist?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #1417

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I missed it, but would I be correct in assuming that you had (jokingly) acted all offended that Superglucose had accidentally (or would have, if he meant absence rather than shortage) insinuated that you didn't exist?
    Yeah, but I found the old post.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

8. - Top - End - #1418

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    Well in any case the world is very much in shortage of intelligent people if its current state is any indication </cynicism>
    Unfortunately the problem with intelligence is that it never covers all areas. Someone may be exceptional in one area but thick as pig **** in another. This is why you end up with people like my ex-housemate, who has a Masters from Oxford but was happy to give her credit card number to any company which cold called our house.

'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

Well the job was already filed by another agency thingy.

Though they're calling me if they find anything for 3/4 weeks long, which is the period I'm available/want to work.

And I'm not even registered there.
    Or maybe I am now, since I sent in my CV and told them I was looking for work in the phone call.

No intake with the thingy anyway.
    Last edited by Dallas-Dakota; 2010-07-13 at 08:23 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm selectively intelligent, not as bad as your ex-housemate, but well, as I've proven multiple times, while I may be good at words and languages, my numerical skills are terrible.
    It's gotten to the point where I can't count up the number of pips on four dice. But I can still work out on the fly the cost of shopping to within ten pence if it's a small pop-down-the-shops trip or to within a fiver if it's our weeky mega-shop.
    This seems to show that my numeracy is okay for 'practical' applications.

I;d say that I'm nice, friendly, mostly intelligent and apparently eccentric. ALso I love books and cats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I;d say that I'm nice, friendly, mostly intelligent and apparently eccentric. ALso I love books and cats.
    Is that a proposition?

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

People confuse knowledge and intelligence all too often. They are often intertwined, but not the same.

Also: everyone has STUPID STUPID DUMB moments from time to time. Some more than others.

IN OTHER NEWS: winking should be banned.

13. - Top - End - #1423

Is that a proposition?
    Nah.
    Merely trying to figure out if I fit all the criteria you listed.
    'Sides, it's too early.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Banned

I agree that it's too early... it's 7:30 am and I didn't sleep at all last night. I'll try to figure this out after 4 hours of sleep. Bye!

15. - Top - End - #1425

CurlyKitGirl: You're scarily intelligent.

*cowers in fear*

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ettin in the Playground

I've never been told this, but I've been told I'm "intimidating", and I never know what to do with that piece of information. What? I'm quiet. I'm frickin 5'2". I do my little thing and talk to people if the opportunity presents itself. I don't think *I* would find me intimidating. . . .

Confuzzling people.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I've never been told this, but I've been told I'm "intimidating", and I never know what to do with that piece of information. What? I'm quiet. I'm frickin 5'2". I do my little thing and talk to people if the opportunity presents itself. I don't think *I* would find me intimidating. . . .

Confuzzling people.
    Us quiet people are scary. Apparently, people confuse "being quiet" with "he doesn't like me"/"she's so stuck up she won't talk to anyone" and so they ignore us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

18. - Top - End - #1428

People confuse knowledge and intelligence all too often. They are often intertwined, but not the same.

Also: everyone has STUPID STUPID DUMB moments from time to time. Some more than others.

IN OTHER NEWS: winking should be banned.

Winks are cool. Banning them could bring about the end of the world.

19. - Top - End - #1429

Nah.
    Merely trying to figure out if I fit all the criteria you listed.
    'Sides, it's too early.
    You missed out 'cute'. Which you also fit.

I agree that it's too early... it's 7:30 am and I didn't sleep at all last night. I'll try to figure this out after 4 hours of sleep. Bye!
    For you, maybe. Over here, it was 3:30pm when you posted this, so I'm wondering if Curly meant early in some other sense or if she's just still catching up on sleep from London.

@DeeRee, I believe people can find intelligence intimidating. Actually, there's a quote from Princess Ida along those lines... hang on... *Checks Gilbert & Sullivan Archive*
    Here:

"Why, let me look!
    Are you that learned little Psyche who
    At school alarmed her mates because she called
    A buttercup 'ranunculus bulbosus'?"

"Are you indeed that Lady Psyche, who
    At children's parties, drove the conj'ror wild,
    Explaining all his tricks before he did them?"

"Are you that learned little Psyche, who
    At dinner parties, brought in to dessert,
    Would tackle visitors with 'You don't know
    Who first determined longitude – I do –
    Hipparchus 'twas – B. C. one sixty-three!'
    Are you indeed that small phenomenon?"

Though obviously that's something of an exaggeration.
    But I think it stems from an assumption that quiet, intelligent people will disdain the company of the less intelligent.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    But no, what I think truly annoys is that these categories don't overlap very much with "AVAILABLE".
    Or "INTERESTED", lol. It does seem like the women who've expressed any interest in me at all on this forum are both taken and very far away. 'Course, almost all of you are very far away, so that doesn't say much.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people.
    Too true. I've often been fascinated by the conceit in some people that the fact that they are intelligent somehow exempts them from ever being stupid - an assertion usually cited right in the midst of proving themselves incorrect.

I find DeeRee intimidating.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

21. - Top - End - #1431

Being intelligent just makes it more embarassing when you do stupid things.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Banned

Dragonrider being intimidating? . . .I gotta admit, this one escapes me. Maybe, maybe, they mean you have more force of personality and assertiveness than expected from a Dragonrider-type package. That's a positive, though. . .

Please don't wish selective stupidity on me right at this moment though. I'm altering my blouse pattern. More honestly, I'm un-altering my pattern from several cases of selective stupidity and self-ignorance from the last time I altered it. [EDIT: I said DON'T! *mumble grumble mutter can't notice the difference between a princess seam and a fisheye dart mumble*]
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2010-07-13 at 11:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Confuzzling people.
    Maybe people find the quiet thing intimidating? It can be pretty intimidating if you speak to someone and dont really get a reply. Well not intimidating as such more... off-putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    How so? Intelligence and stupidity are not really related with me. You can be very intelligent and still be an idiot.
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-07-13 at 11:45 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

24. - Top - End - #1434

If it helps, I'm unintelligent and do plenty of stupid/clumsy things. I'm currently wearing eau du coffee. Damn my weak fingers.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

25. - Top - End - #1435

Quote Originally Posted by Exeson View Post
    How so? Intelligence and stupidity are not really related with me. You can be very intelligent and still be an idiot.
    I have an MMath. I feel like I should be able to negotiate simple tasks, like booking my coach tickets for the correct day. Or counting.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

I have an MMath. I feel like I should be able to negotiate simple tasks, like booking my coach tickets for the correct day. Or counting.
    Pffft, as my old maths teacher would say 'I'm a mathematician, not an arithmetician'

But really, intelligence is not linked to common sense and the like, so stupid things are just as likely as with everyone else.
    Sigatar by Me

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some things we really feel we should be able to do if we are intelligent (and thus feel very embarassed when we fail).

And sometimes, yes, very intelligent people can also be complete idiots.

This is no shock to me. My dad works in a university solving computer problems for the academics. These are professors and so-on, people who are really intelligent, experts in their fields. And still will do the most stupid things sometimes.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a good example off the top of my head.
    What do you mean "Dungeon Master" isn't a proper job?

Thanks to Thufir for the avatar.

D&D Characters Past and Present:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Honest Man (3.5 LG human fighter), Princess Kailee (4e Good elf cleric), Elric (4e Good human paladin)
    Talia Dakashnit (3.5 CE human fighter), Gabriel Stryfe (d20 Modern fast hero), Tacin Willow (3.5 NG human fighter//bard)

GitP Blood Bowl Legacy League - Season 3 recruiting

28. - Top - End - #1438

*cowers in fear*

If you say so . . .
    I don't know all that much comparatively, I just know a little more than average on several subjects.

Confuzzling people.
    DeeRee's not intimidating.
    She's awesome. And taller than me.
    I know for a fact that should we ever meet we'd get on like a house on fire. Then again, you sound more than a little bit like me, and I don't find you intimidating, so you're not intimidating, because I'm not intimidating.

You missed out 'cute'. Which you also fit.

. . .

For you, maybe. Over here, it was 3:30pm when you posted this, so I'm wondering if Curly meant early in some other sense or if she's just still catching up on sleep from London.

It's a weird case of having to get up at six thirty to leave the house at seven to get Little Sister to her Pick Up Spot to go Scillies today.
    ANd after going to bed at two a.m., but not actually sleeping until after half three I was a little tired back when I posted that.

@DeeRee, I believe people can find intelligence intimidating. Actually, there's a quote from Princess Ida along those lines... hang on... *Checks Gilbert & Sullivan Archive*
    Here:

"Why, let me look!
    Are you that learned little Psyche who
    At school alarmed her mates because she called
    A buttercup 'ranunculus bulbosus'?"

"Are you indeed that Lady Psyche, who
    At children's parties, drove the conj'ror wild,
    Explaining all his tricks before he did them?"

"Are you that learned little Psyche, who
    At dinner parties, brought in to dessert,
    Would tackle visitors with 'You don't know
    Who first determined longitude – I do –
    Hipparchus 'twas – B. C. one sixty-three!'
    Are you indeed that small phenomenon?"

Though obviously that's something of an exaggeration.
    I've read THe Princess, I can't really remember any particular instances of either Ida or Psyche being mocked/shunned for being intelligent.
    They - and all the other females in Ida's kingdom - were seen as weird for being female and not wanting a man, and wanting to be independant. Admittedly I haven't read it since maybe mid-November last year, and even then I only read it for a week.

But I think it stems from an assumption that quiet, intelligent people will disdain the company of the less intelligent.
    I tend to agree with this statement.
    Which is why I like my group of similarly quiet, intelligent people as we find that we're not so quiet once you get us all together.

So very true. So very, very true.

ION:
    Ditzy Little Sister is an annoyance.
    It only takes twenty to twenty-five minutes to walk from the harbour to home, and it's literally a point-yourself-in-one-direction-and-walk-home thing. And mother dearest doesn't trust her to do it.
    And so I have to go fetch.

IOON: (but still talking about annoying mothers)
    I've been seriously thinking for the past three months about applying to the JET scheme after I've gaduated, and today I just checked out the details.
    The pay's looking really good, as are the potential situations and everything. ANd as an ALT I wouldn't even need to go to Japan with a single word of Japanese (so I've already got one thing going for me).
    And when I told mother tht I was definitely going to apply after graduation she's all "No. You're not going. You'd have to get married before going, and you're only going because your dad wants you to do it," and other drivel like that.
    Yes, I admit that dad's been talking about me doing the JET scheme - because I brought it up first - previously he wanted me to teach in France.
    I admit that it will be tricky living in a foreign country for a whole year. But that's part of the challenge.
    I'm s-l-o-w-l-y teaching myself Japanese, and now I'm going to get serious and start paying to do so. So hopefully the language barrier won't be too bad.
    And I really don't know where this marriage thing's coming from. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that my Freelance Artist Cousin and his wife married before they went to Singapore. So they could both work and earn money on their visas.
    :headdesk:

Mothers can be annoying.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground

Back from trip. Saw cool cliffs and jumped all over and from them. Swam and dived into sea water. Skin is now impregnated by sea salt. Need shower.

Walked around inside a cool subterranean coast artillery fort. Walked around above said fort. Saw another artillery position from the boat back homewards.

Saw some really cool sun + clouds combinations from the car back home.

Seriously, what's up with a humidity measurement thingy?
    It's the percentage of maximum humidity, not volume/mass/something else. When it's 100%, the air is fully saturated and all additional water will condensate into drops.

Now? Food!
    Last edited by Teddy; 2010-07-13 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Typos and etc.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1440

DeeRee's not intimidating.
    She's awesome. And taller than me.
    I know for a fact that should we ever meet we'd get on like a house on fire.
    Getting on like a house on fire. Does that involve lots of screaming in pain from the searing flames?
    I have a friend that's applying for JET, I say go for it and the devil take the hindmost.
    Your mothers logic seems... illogical.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.