New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: PC Stupidity Stories

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    I think you mean bisexual. Asexual is something different.
    I'm attempting to not go into lecture mode. There are two forms of asexuality when it comes to humans. One, is where the subject does not have any sex drive or does not want to attempt copulation, regardless of partner. The other kind, is where they simply do not have any preference. I fall into the middle: I don't care what gender they are, but I don't really want to 'do it' anyway. Bisexuals specifically like both genders to varying degrees, and pansexuals.. are even harder to describe.

But again, this is off topic and approaching a grey area.

Edit: Not wanting to bump the thread further with offtopicness, ExHunterEmerald has a point. Tonight was a rough night for me, and I was unnessicarially harsh. Asexual is the term my therapist uses.
    Last edited by Voleta; 2007-02-27 at 08:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think he was "debating you on your own sexuality" as much as he was "pointing out that asexual is an unusual choice of word," and you clarified for him.
    Personally, I'll just stick to budding.

*pop!*
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

...I think you're looking for "pansexual", to be honest.

And that is all. *vanishes in a puff of logic*
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    What kind of monk only has 16 AC? what level were they?
    The kind that twinks to to maximum damage in combat.

This monk was a half-orc dragony-thing from Races of the Dragon, so he was lagging behind his teammates in HP anyways due to the level adjustment. Furthermore, he put his prime stats into Strength and Con (This is a player that gets hugely bitter about playing any character that doesn't have at least 1 18 stat). The rest of the party was on or about ECL5 (party of 5).

In retrospect, I wonder if he wasn't trying to get that character killed on purpose, so he could try re-rolling and get his precious 18...
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

..A monk trying to do damage?

Um. Monks do damage now?

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'd figured they were more like grappling devices. You know, for bending arcane casters into exotic and painful poses.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nahal View Post
    I'd figured they were more like grappling devices. You know, for bending arcane casters into exotic and painful poses.
    Fighters are better at that.

The monk's thing is Surviving, really.

8. - Top - End - #248

Our all hetereosexual group, welcomed two new players: a couple where the wife played a Dwarven fighter and the husband a Gnome wizard/rogue. The first scene had these two traveling lost from their main party when a bullette attacked them in the middle of a field, our party was near so came to their aid.

Cleric summons spiritual weapons, our main Wizard casts, super-high AC Monk dances around the monster to draw AoO's to let us move around freely my Fighter rides up on his horse to full attack it. Dwarf fighter atacks it bravely but is getting mauled. Gnome metagames (a strict no-no for us) that the bullette has tremorsense, so slowly tries to sneak away (10ft per round). He's spared atttacks cause everyone else is a threat but him.

We're getting hurt bad, so it's yelled for everyone to flee in different directions. Cleric heals Dwarf and they both double move while I cover them with the monk flanking with me, the main Wizard never closed range, the Gnome moves another 10ft. Next round, Me and my horse are hurt bad I tell the Gnome to book it and delay until after his turn. He goes, moves 10ft to stay "invisible" to the bullette. The monk and me withdraw, monk draws the AoO and gets hit pretty bad.

Everyone is out of the bullette's reach, the nearest one is the Gnome, 50 ft away.

Gnome: "I stop moving so the bullette cant see me. Should I roll Move Silent?"

DM: "Uh ... no need. The Landshark sizes you up as easy prey with it's cold, fully-functioning can see in the dark, twilight, and even better in this daylight eyes. It bounds toward you and leaps."

*DM rolls four +15 claw attacks, cause natural ones are posssible, all hit then tallies damage (total 8d6+32 slashing) compared to the Gnome's wizard HP*

Monk's Player to the former Gnome player: "So, whatcha gonna play next?"
    Da Dominion: blog of belly laffs and a GM (Gamer Media) podcast. Sharp Humor for a Dull World.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diggorian View Post
    Gnome metagames (a strict no-no for us) that the bullette has tremorsense, so slowly tries to sneak away (10ft per round).
    Where did the player get this 10ft per round stuff? For purposes of tremorsense you're either moving or not moving, there's no "moving slowly" status. Sheesh. What's worse than metagaming? Metagaming badly.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

This isn't a D&D story, but it's still one of my favourites.

The setting is Heavy Gear - basically it was a sci-fi powered armour mercenary company game, except our group had been fitted out with its own landship to ride around in. A landship is basically a battleship that hovers across the land, because the planet HG is set on has very little surface water but a lot of flat deserts.

Anyway, we stop off in a town and cause the usual ruckus that PCs do. While some of us are off buying rubber underwear (don't even ask) this mysterious man approaches two of the other characters and asks them to take a huge teddy bear to the next town over, and deliver it to a specific address.

The two characters (whose names I forget) accept the payment and the bear, but once they return to the landship they begin to get suspicious. A mysterious teddy bear? What's going on? The leap to the conclusion that it contains a cunningly disguised bomb. So they scan the bear with every sensor we've got. Infrared, ultraviolet, x-ray, everything. They detect nothing hidden within the bear, so they decide the bomb must be hidden really well.

So they take the bear out into the desert and shell it with the landship's main guns, just to make sure.

They then buy a different bear and take it to the address specified, only to discover that the man was attempting to send a birthday present to his illegitimate son.

In the same game, we also had another ridiculous situation. First, there was a shipboard full-contact martial arts tournament, since a lot of us had made martial artist characters and wanted to try them out. One of the martial artists refused to surrender when beaten, and got hospitalised. Now, wounds in this system take ages to heal, he was going to be there for a while.

Next game day, our landship (with injured guy) on board is parked up outside this city. Within the city, the rest of the party are pinned down by sniper fire. My plan was to have the crew on the landship shell the building (the block, really) the shooting was coming from, until it was pointed out that we were trying to get on the good side of this particular place. Instead, injured guy radios in: "I'll save you!"

You see, he's still got his sidearm by his hospital bed. And the bed is on wheels. So he takes his IV stand and begins 'poling' his bed out of the landship, and down the street towards where we were. Finally abandoning the IV and just letting the bed skate downhill while he emptied his (only) clip in the general direction of the sniper.

It didn't help much.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    Where did the player get this 10ft per round stuff? For purposes of tremorsense you're either moving or not moving, there's no "moving slowly" status. Sheesh. What's worse than metagaming? Metagaming badly.
    I'm guessing he figured half his normal speed was a good benchmark, and obviously thought bulletes were light-blind. I wasnt terribly surprised, we played with them in a Ptolus game previously; where he PCed a monk that uses muzzle loaders as his main attack .

His next PC in the current camp is a Paladin he plays as "cautious" (really cowardly). The Blind god he follows took sight in one of his eyes to show disfavor. After 8 months of game play, he earned it back by bravely trying to rescue the imperiled dwarf ran by his wife. She still died, but played that dwarf fighter great .

We're the only two tanks left in the group. In character I'm telling him if he doesnt pull his wait he'll be joining her.
    Da Dominion: blog of belly laffs and a GM (Gamer Media) podcast. Sharp Humor for a Dull World.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

The Inner Sanctum. Gender: I haven't checked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimbot View Post
    It's not your fault they chose to spend their actions cursing you rather than performing the 'ol stop, drop and roll.
    They were in webs; they couldn't stop or drop, much less roll.

And potatocubed, what's the damage on an injured person used as an impromptu projectile?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Town Characters, pictured left to right:

State Namesake District Revenant (With Ms. E's Iris) Malleo Morbius Deckard and Dexter
    for State, Malleo, District
    for Morbius
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Many people have asked themselves; What is the ultimate moment-killer?
    The real ultimate moment-killer is a giant horde of zombies.

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPaladin View Post
    And potatocubed, what's the damage on an injured person used as an impromptu projectile?
    Well, I know from experience that molotov halflings do 2d6.

Also, I would rule falling object rules, based off a strength check and the weight.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, on the subject of PC stupidity and the players who cause it....

I love the D&D campaign I'm currently in. The DM's brilliant, and she's incredibly patient. I, however, am not. One of the players is a metagamer in the extreme. Some half-celestial race Thrallherd who, when faced with any sort of encounter, will do one of three things: 1. If it's hostile, try to dominate it (and then raise hell when the DM won't let him mind-control plot-central characters), 2. If it's just a common person, convert it to his weirdo religion, 3. If it has boobs, sleep with it.

Not to mention he more-or-less plays it as a game of numbers, as opposed to a ROLEPLAYING game. You know the kind: every little bonus from obscure loopholes. I play a rogue in the campaign, and I feel grotesquely underpowered due to this character and the spellcasters, not to mention the duelist with the natural 28 DEX.

/rant

P.S. And I should probably mention the 'door' made out of rare metal that the rest of the party spent around half an hour trying to figure out how to steal. The DM was eventually forced to declare it made of 'unobtainium'.
    Last edited by EndgamerAzari; 2007-02-28 at 12:49 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EndgamerAzari View Post
    not to mention the duelist with the natural 28 DEX.
    *blink*

how so? 28? is this after a bunch of ability increases or some homebrewed race with +10 dex? at lvl20 you've gotten 5 increases, so either you're a very high level or the character has a very high racial modifier

16. - Top - End - #256

The DM was eventually forced to declare it made of 'unobtainium'.

Let me guess. That just made them try harder?
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J_Muller View Post
    Let me guess. That just made them try harder?
    The better answer is "handwavium", which has properties of whatever plot requires. And it doen't set player into the "gotta obtain it!" mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diggorian View Post
    DM: "Uh ... no need. The Landshark sizes you up as easy prey with it's cold, fully-functioning can see in the dark, twilight, and even better in this daylight eyes. It bounds toward you and leaps."

*DM rolls four +15 claw attacks, cause natural ones are posssible, all hit then tallies damage (total 8d6+32 slashing) compared to the Gnome's wizard HP*

Monk's Player to the former Gnome player: "So, whatcha gonna play next?"
    So the gnome tried to hide from the bulette by tiptoeing so as not to set off its tremorsense... in broad daylight? Wow. That takes the cake.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    *blink*

how so? 28? is this after a bunch of ability increases or some homebrewed race with +10 dex? at lvl20 you've gotten 5 increases, so either you're a very high level or the character has a very high racial modifier

I think it had something to do with divine intervention, so maybe 'natural' is the wrong word. The point is it was his base score. Eh, I dunno. Either way it irks me.

And as for the unobtainium, there is still talk of going back and trying to get it. Shrinking it, melting the stone around it with acid, using this weird magical artifact on it.... all of which it has been determined would have a DC of NO, which is slightly less difficult to over come than PLOT.

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    So the gnome tried to hide from the bulette by tiptoeing so as not to set off its tremorsense... in broad daylight? Wow. That takes the cake.
    Yeah, that player's main contribution to the group is the funny stories we have from his choices that stem from the fact that he thinks he knows more than he actually does.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

See children? That's how god punishes metagamers.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    See children? That's how god punishes metagamers.
    Every time you metagame, God kills a kitten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Translation [of "Stop Posting"]: I don't know how to argue against this, so I'm just going to tell you to shut up in attempt to make it look like the counterargument is so blatantly obvious that I don't even need to explain it in a suitably condescending tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    The proper way to run a fight at ECL90 gestalt is to line up and kick each other in the genitals. The first one who falls over loses and his character's soul is devoured by the winner.
    FREE video game and anime music!

23. - Top - End - #263

Every time you metagame, God kills a kitten.
    Then my group slaughters 15+ of them every session.

Me: "Why... are you going to the mayor's house?"
    PC: "Because when we did that last adventure, orcs attacked..."
    Me: "..."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm running my first ever campaign at college as a part of the Role-Playing Games Society, and am doing a D20 Future build... however... stupidity is never limited to D&D.

So the set-up is this: My PCs are on trial for treason and for aiding the rebel force (named the Arakesh). One, who is also the Society President AND a remarkably stupid DM, is playing an alien female named Inia, who has already been stupid about this whole process: for example, when arrested, he tried to claim that "Inia" was speaking Spanglish to confuse the guards. (...Yeah. It's a futuristic society where most people can speak at least three languages, and he was convinced that the guards "shouldn't" know Spanglish.) I, on the other hand, am trying to convey three different NPCs at the same time- one who just wants the trial to be over with, another who insists on doing everything by the book, and the general, who wants them all to die for abandoning their unit.

Rather than being patient, "Inia" decided that she needed to insult the Chancellor of the Planetary Council. Given, I had decided that the woman would be on their side from the start, and wouldn't be interested in the trial in the first place, but when the player did that, I couldn't help it. After all, if you were the head of three intelligent species' united government, you wouldn't let some upstart mouth off to you in public, right? So the Chancellor gets very cold towards "Inia", and tries to remind her of her place. Rather than getting this hint, "Inia" overreacts and claims that she and the other PCs aren't getting a fair trial. As I'm just about to tell the player OOC that they need to calm down and remember that they are pissing off the most important person in the galaxy, "Inia" shouts that she's changing her plea to guilty.

"All right," I say, "so be it." For the rest of the session, "Inia" bitches about how his character hasn't gotten the chance to speak freely, while other PCs have. It was then that I felt my first moment of sheer "I should just kill this character now and save myself the future pain of dealing with this person". I was also very close to saying "You know what? For your insolence and attitude, the Chancellor orders you killed at dawn. An entire roll of duct tape is used on Inia's mouth, a bag is pulled over her head, and taped to her neck, and her ankles and wrists shackled. She is then sent back into her cell, blinded by the bag, and unable to free herself. When day breaks- which she can only tell by the opening of her cell door- she is dragged unceremoniously to another room and shot in the back of the head. If you shut up, that will all be a bad dream. If you don't, I will rip up your character sheet and everyone will pretend that you never existed!"

However, I didn't. And we got through it... eventually.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" ~ Adam Savage of 'Mythbusters'

(OOC) Hyperion: I <3 anyone who -eats- philosophy.

I am officially the Geek Queen! My campaign "Frontiers" won Campaign of the Year in the UMaine Role-Playing Games Society. Start paying tribute.

And thanks to Lord Iames Osari for the customized avvie.

25. - Top - End - #265

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maga View Post
    I'm running my first ever campaign at college as a part of the Role-Playing Games Society, and am doing a D20 Future build... however... stupidity is never limited to D&D.
    Hello, fellow member of a "D&D club" at a New England college (I'm at Boston University). Fortunately for me, everyone in the club who I've played with has been very sane, or if not then at least entertaining. I kinda want to try DMing a campaign, but I didn't feel like it at the start of the semester so I should probably email the president and ask her to send out an email to the members... or jsut not because I'm lazy. Who knows

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Another one from the group I'm not part of but hear stories about:

The group has just finished killing a vampire spawn. It took them a while, but they did kill it and it turns into mist and vanishes. This ring falls out of the mist, as well as some other stuff. The party argues over the stuff and the rogue picks up the ring.
    DM: You feel compelled to put the ring on. Roll a Will save.
    Rogue: *Rolls, gets natural 20* I pass.
    DM: You stop wanting to put the ring on. It starts whispering to you.
    Ring: Put me on. You know you want to.
    Rogue: Well, I'm not sure...
    Ring: Come on! You want to be powerful, don't you? You want to have magical powers, don't you?
    Rogue: Well, yeah, but...
    Ring: Then do it! Go ahead, put me on!
    Rogue: Ok. *puts it on*

So then he becomes a vampire spawn. He only has control of his actions because he passed the original will save, and the ring is quite obviously cursed. Well, no taking it off for him. The rest of the party thinks they should kill him and spare the world from him, and he's arguing that he's still in control. Then they get attacked by a bunch of orcs and the rogue takes them all on in single combat, and ends up killing three of the four. By himself. Needless to say, the party is freaked about this. In the end, they decide to cut the finger that has the ring on it off. Best part is, the rogue is a halfling. So, OOC, everyone calls him "Frodo of the Nine Fingers"
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, mostly everyone else in RPGS here at UMaine is sane, or at least plays at it very well... but we're being headed by the most self-absorbed and petty person I have ever come across as a DM, PC, and club president... and that's saying something!

Thankfully other than him, the other guys in the campaign are all good to me and tend to not freak out when I throw plot twists at them.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" ~ Adam Savage of 'Mythbusters'

(OOC) Hyperion: I <3 anyone who -eats- philosophy.

I am officially the Geek Queen! My campaign "Frontiers" won Campaign of the Year in the UMaine Role-Playing Games Society. Start paying tribute.

And thanks to Lord Iames Osari for the customized avvie.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Ive only been playing for about three years, but only now do I realize that after I decided to DM a group of entirely new people. 15 year old boys, if that matters. (which it really, really does). One of my favorite events was when our barbarian (this guy will only ever ever play a fighter or barbarian and some sort of orc race) decided it would be perfectly normal to cuss out a very impulsive high-level gnomish Wizard, who happened to be a shopkeeper. One ray of enfeeblement later, and a pity raise from me, the DM, and he then decided that antagonizing the town guard trying to hire them to fight undead would be a reeeeallly good idea. One PC destroying session later, I let the party play as the town guard who had recently slaughtered a band of miscreants for the rest of the campaign
    If you want to play 3.5 with a stupid teenager in Rockville MD, PM me.

EDIT: PLEASE DEAR GOD SOMEONE PLAY WITH ME. I'M SO ALONE.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

My only really good one: We (all lv 1; cleric, sorcerer (me), fighter, ranger) are on are shiprecked on an island and caught in a war between the natives.

DM: you see a group of sea elves standing around in a clearing, arguing about something.

Ranger: I charge! *Cirt**kill*

Me: ok, you have an high Wisdom right?

Ranger: Yep

Me: ok, I cast sleep

DM: passes saves

Ranger: Natural one.

DM: ok, it's the sea elves turn. one of them coup de graces the ranger

ranger:....................

later in same adventure: the ex-ranger, now a rogue decides to get revenge
    while we were resting, he taker a bolt, stabbes me in the face. parts wakes up next morning, notice the ranger is down bolt, kill him, 5 minnutes later a group of elves ambush them, TPK from a CR 1 encoounter.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

I'm on a break so i cant delve too deep into the details here but;

A frontal assault in Shadowrun.

Allways Stupid.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."