New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

So it damaged their exaltations? Odd, thought Celestial ones would be more resilient. Are all celestial exaltations utterly indestructable?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    I don't know...in a RL Exalted game, there was this hilarious planned arc where the Lunar wanted to have the kids of his Solar mate after the two of them argued about which of them had sired more illegitimate children.
    Well, I think to calculate that, we'd have to calculate the number of Appearance 4 and 5 women of eighteen to mid-thirties (and how many are married, if you care about that for some reason) in each place they've been to, figure out how many they've each seduced (an estimated number per month is good enough), then make a realistic pregnancy roll chart (which would also require the calculation of Stamina scores of the women) and bring out the bucket of dice.

And Doran, "indestructible" doesn't mean "completely and utterly resistant to change". Look at the Solaroids. Look at Orichalcum. Hell, look at the base, un-customized exaltations that Autochthon made for the Incarnae to transform to their images.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-25 at 05:01 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

There are people who are straight or gay in creation. Kes and his wife are examples of the latter(yes, they are gay and married: it is the duty of Dragonblooded to have kids, after all).

Also, don't ignore the +/- 1 to DV's. For non-supernaturals, that's a pretty big shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    So it damaged their exaltations? Odd, thought Celestial ones would be more resilient. Are all celestial exaltations utterly indestructable?
    Yes, it's kinda stupid. And is one of the many influences of WoD Werewolves that exist in Lunars, for no real reason. Yes, Lunars have been mishandled throughout the line.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Look at Orichalcum.
    What is the relation between orichalcum and exaltations changing?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Indestructible, but it seems not immutable. At least, not the Lunar ones. Maybe the Solars would have faired better, their shtick being perfection and all.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Indestructible, but it seems not immutable. At least, not the Lunar ones. Maybe the Solars would have faired better, their shtick being perfection and all.
    Stop me if I start sounding like a crazed Lunar fanboy, I'm really not one. But that sort of thinking is hostile to Lunar protagonism. To think that they the Exalts most closely tied to the Wyld, whether or not that is good design space for them, wouldn't be as good at dealing with the Wyld as Solars, is just wrongheaded and toxic for the setting.

Damn, I sound like that random generator.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Stop me if I start sounding like a crazed Lunar fanboy, I'm really not one. But that sort of thinking is hostile to Lunar protagonism. To think that they the Exalts most closely tied to the Wyld, whether or not that is good design space for them, wouldn't be as good at dealing with the Wyld as Solars, is just wrongheaded and toxic for the setting.

Damn, I sound like that random generator.
    Well I am a crazed Lunar fanboy. But Lunars ARE worse than Solars at dealing with the Wyld as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-07-25 at 05:30 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I am a crazed Lunar fanboy. But Lunars ARE worse than Solars at dealing with the Wyld as far as I can tell.
    I know. I think it was the truth of your statement that raised my ire.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Which is why none of the Shards use those rules.

Though, personally, I like Chimeraism as a concept (Wyld-Corrupted Exalts), even if the execution was flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Though, personally, I like Chimeraism as a concept (Wyld-Corrupted Exalts), even if the execution was flawed.
    Shards gave me a glimmer of hope for future of Lunars. Not much, but enough to sustain me for now.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know. I think the concept would be better served with it reflecting something inherent in the Exaltations, though possible exacerbated by the Wyld. For example, think if instead, Chimeraism was brought on by being a shapeshifting, and slowly losing touch with those who actually know you, slowly becoming the mask of the faceless. The Wyld simply created an environment where that would happen, rather than breaking something.

Also explains a bit more regarding the Tattoo's: they are a shaping defence, they're there to tell your story, so that you always know who and what you are at your core.

Mechanically, though, total rewrite would be needed.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

It doesn't matter what sexual orientation she is (except for asexual, transsexual, and omnisexual, which I will always avoid).
    Is omnisexual the one where you're attracted to people who identify as multiple genders? Or is that polysexual? Or something else?

A glossary for these kinds of terms would be startlingly helpful for playing in the Demon City.

(Could we repurpose "metrosexual" to mean "attracted to beings that exist as cities"?)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    (Could we repurpose "metrosexual" to mean "attracted to beings that exist as cities"?)
    Yes, yes we can. In fact in my mind it just was.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2012-07-25 at 10:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

And suddenly all the skinny guys in tight clothes are trying to seduce their hometown. My day has been made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Patropoli and Matropoli fight off Clarity with the help of such men, women, gods, and machines. (It's lower-maintenance than a human-sized Champion, but it's also really embarrassing when you have to visit another city.)

Malfeas does not deign to notice those who are attracted to him! The Demon City holds all within him and cares not for what their tiny hearts feel! (Except She Who Lives in Her Name. Metrosexual Principle of Hierarchy meets Metricsexual Demon Emperor. Now you know the why of Vitriolic Corona Endowment and Flames Lit Within.)
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2012-07-26 at 01:39 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Indestructible in the sense that they can't be destroyed. They can most certainly be altered. With Infernals, the Solar Exaltation is repurposed and used as a power source for a Primordial Exaltation stuck on top. With Abyssals, the Solar Exaltation is inverted in a way that's very easy to call 'almost irreparably broken.' (The key here is 'almost')

That's not to say Wyld Taint isn't total bull, but Exaltations can definitely be twisted, bent, broken and damaged. Just not destroyed completely (by default canon anyway).

It's actually one of my favorite bits of headcanon that an Abyssal Exaltation is what you get when you kill a Solar one and it leaves the Exaltation's equivalent of a Neverborn.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2012-07-26 at 03:36 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Sexual preference is a -1/+1 MDV modifier. So the answer is not at all.
    Author comments in a thread I made long ago have suggested that sexual preference is a fundamental part of your character, much like hair or eye colour, and that it can't be changed without specific magic, probably UMI. With NMI, you might be able to convince someone to sleep with you, but you'll never be able to convince them they like it. Of course, their player might decide they do, but that's up to them, not you.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Holden
    Well, for one example, Lunars are no longer characterized as shapeshifters, since that was always a really messy thing to implement. ...
    Well that's piqued my interest. Admittedly it was followed by:

Quote Originally Posted by Holden
    They are now the masters of interpretive dance!
    But yeah, intrigued.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Well that's piqued my interest. Admittedly it was followed by:

But yeah, intrigued.
    "No longer characterized as shapeshifters". Does that mean it's still there, but secondary? Because if so, then words cannot express my excitement.

Oh, and Xefas, I think omnisexuality might just be a trope. Think Marena (is that it? The Lunar) form Keychains of Creation. Pretty much "anything that moves".
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-26 at 08:36 PM.
    My Steam profile

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

"No longer characterized as shapeshifters". Does that mean it's still there, but secondary? Because if so, then words cannot express my excitement.
    It was a joke :O
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    This forum is full of people who can't take a joke. Trust me.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    This forum is full of people who can't take a joke. Trust me.
    HOW DARE YOU?!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Aw, I only hoped the dance part was a joke.
    My Steam profile

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Lunars can dance if they want to.

They can't leave shapeshifts behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, don't get me wrong, I want shapeshifting.

But I want different shapeshifting. It cheapens it when you get to the point where the most efficient use of your essence in a combat where you won't absolutely curbstomp the enemy is to use your warform EVERY SINGLE TIME. I want less than that. I want to fight like Wolverine or Conan, not a guy who ate a zoan-class Devil Fruit (although the big guy on Chopper's home island was cool). And then there's Heart's Blood. Why can't I learn to take animal forms on my own? And why do I have to eat this guy's heart just to turn into him? I don't want to kill someone so that I can take their form. Hell, I don't want to kill an animal just to take on their form. Seriously, if I kill it just for that, and not for the meat and the hide (I have no problem with using Heart's Blood on an animal that I was hunting anyway), it doesn't feel right.

So... I guess my problem is more with how it's implemented.
    My Steam profile

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Because Lunars are Werewolf, silly. The Violence is needed to remind you that your savages.
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Remember, have your players use different weapons so you can distinguish between them!

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hell, I don't want to kill an animal just to take on their form.
    There's a knack for that. (For everything else there's a Jade Mastercard)
    So... Tired...

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Cause their mates don't shapeshift and if they don't shapeshift,

Well, Lunars can have a niche.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinaky View Post
    There's a knack for that.
    Thing is, I don't think I'd want to have to take a Knack for that.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!