New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    The problem with that power is it does 13d6 (or 6.5d6) damage to everyone, which could easily have killed Belkar, and doesn't explain why Tarquin would just smile it off. You'd think he'd at least frown or grunt in pain.
    It says "All enemies within the area" not "All creatures within the area".

Still wouldn't explain Belkar.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-11-05 at 10:11 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Which runs into the problem of why his head is glowing like he's been targeted.

Unless somebody can come up with a power that matches what we're seeing and has friendly fire, the only good explanation I've seen for why the spell would hit him is that she's bouncing Inflict Pain to Durkon and Tarquin is the only one close enough to chain from.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it's plausible (though not MOST plausible, just plausible) that mind-affecting powers which fire in a burst but pick friend or foe are depicted as "scanning" a mind before deciding whether or not to attack it.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

How does this comic show that Belkar has three magic daggers (as it says on the front page)? I can count only 2.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Second page, the panel right after he snogs Jenny. He tosses two daggers into the blond thief's torso, while holding on to a third that's visible at his waist.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

6. - Top - End - #216

In panel 9 on the second page, Belkar has just thrown two daggers into his enemy while kissing Jenny- yet still has one dagger visible.

EDIT: Swordsaged.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-11-05 at 12:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ah yes, thanks!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Added Spring Attack to Belkar, defensive potions to V (from comic 923).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt620 View Post
    Miron may not have chosen to specialize in a school: He's cast Abjuration (GDM), Evocation (Contingency), Conjuration (Teleporting spell for said contigency, and that mage armor type spell from blocking Haley's arrow) and Necromancy (Horrid Wilting). Since you can't choose divination to lose, that might be a thought
    Always a useful checklist. Well, he could still have dropped Transmutation, Illusion, and Enchantment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    On Miron, all we can say for sure is that he has some sort of teleportation power. It could be Teleport, or it could be something like Dimension Door maximum range straight up (a common Contingency choice).
    The range of Dimension Door is about 1000 feet, or 300 meters. Given the location they're in, that would mean he'd still be visible and in the combat.

I would be in favor of adding him and Jacinda to the top posts, even if we know next to nothing about the catgirl yet; this is to include the complete team there. After all, we also have alisting for the MITD.

Speaking of Team Tarquin, we can say something about Laurin's age. Minimum age for a human psion is 17, and she was already psion'ing 22 years ago, when Nale was a baby. So that would make her 39+ years old.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I think it's plausible (though not MOST plausible, just plausible) that mind-affecting powers which fire in a burst but pick friend or foe are depicted as "scanning" a mind before deciding whether or not to attack it.
    I don't think that's consistent with how spells have been depicted elsewhere in the comic. I'm leaning towards Inflict Pain as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Second page, the panel right after he snogs Jenny. He tosses two daggers into the blond thief's torso, while holding on to a third that's visible at his waist.
    Come to think of it, it would be interesting to check if this is also in the printed book :)
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

And on another note, Dorukan certainly has at least Craft Wondrous Item, to make his Talisman.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    For what it's worth, Girard's "Sorceror 19+" link both has "sorcerer" misspelled and doesn't actually go anywhere.
    Whoops :)

Also, I thought of something. In his battle with Malack, Durkon said that he couldn't use Thor's Might because the ceiling was too low; that means he did have it prepared. However, right now he's saying he doesn't have magic any more. That indicates that he can no longer use Thor's Might.

Also also, Laurin has another unspecified attack power in comic 927, which is different from the UAP she used earlier.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #220
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Come to think of it, it would be interesting to check if this is also in the printed book :)
    Just checked. Yup, still there.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is a possibility that Thor's Might was the spell he converted to heal instinctively.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I agree with Porthos that Belkar has Spring Attack. He also appears to be tumbling in those panels, but tumbling won't let you move both before and after you attack, and he definitely appears to have moved afterward (he's nowhere near him when Haley pegs him).

Even more interesting is the fact that, even with movement, he still got at least two attacks in (one with each dagger). Anyone have an explanation for that? I don't think any Pounce ability would work here, since those only work on a charge, and I don't think you can combine a charge with a Spring Attack.
    Setting aside the two attacks bit for a moment, I also think Belkar has too many feats if he does have Spring Attack. For Spring Attack, he needs to have Dodge and Mobility as pre-reques.

In his statblock he has as listed:

Craft Disturbing Mental Image
    Great Cleave
    Improved Sunder
    Power Attack (prerequisite for Improved Sunder)
    Two-Weapon Pounce

If we include (and as has now been updated ) Spring Attack and the prereques:

Spring Attack
    Dodge
    Mobility

That's eight feats. At lvl 15 he should have six feats, correct? OK, as funny as it is, Craft Disturbing Mental Image can go on the chopping block as a 'real' feat. Maybe he got it for free or sumthin.

There's still one too many feats unless I am massively messing up somewhere.

As I look about, I see that Rangers can choose Two Weapon Pounce if they meet certain requirements. But it doesn't appear as if they can choose it as part of their improved weapon style.

So does something go on the chopping block here? Or do we fold in Two Weapon Pounce as an Alternative Class Feature of Rangers for Belkar?

We could also possibly knock out Great Cleave if all we are going on is Belkar's comment about "I'm gonna try for two now." After all, just because he could try doesn't mean he could succeed. And on-screen evidence should trump attempted non-screen evidence.

And all Improved Sunder lets one do is make an attack against a Hydra's head without an Attack of Opportunity. That could be explained away as the Hydra just missed and Rich didn't depict it in the combat explicitly.

Is there evidence for Great Cleave later on in the comic? Or Improved Sunder? If so, Alternate Class Feature for Two Weapon Pounce could be our only alternative. Though I may be missing something pretty big, due to my rust.

ETA::: We could also always open up the can of worms of One Flaw Equals One Feat variant rule. And if any character in the OotS has feat flaws it'd be Belkar.

For instance, Inattentive [You are particularly unaware of your surroundings --- You take a -4 penalty on Listen checks and Spot checks]would certainly work. So to could Weak Will [You are highly suggestible and easily duped --- You take a -3 penalty on Will saves]. Either of them would help explain how he seems to be so lacking in Wisdom, even though he looks to have no worse than a 9 due to various reasons that are better not rehashed for the thousandth time.

Listed just as examples, not as suggestions to add it to the block.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-11-05 at 12:55 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

13. - Top - End - #223
    Spamalot in the Playground

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but are we not adding Miron? He's almost certainly a sorcerer, and a pretty high-level one if he has Horrid Wilting and Contingency.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the possibility he may also be a wizard is what is delaying his inclusion.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

I would include Miron as soon as possibly now (I think we know more of him than of Kilkil). As for class: can't we list him just as "Arcane Spellcaster"?

Or it will crop up every other post

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Setting aside the two attacks bit for a moment, I also think Belkar has too many feats if he does have Spring Attack. For Spring Attack, he needs to have Dodge and Mobility as pre-reques.

In his statblock he has as listed:

Craft Disturbing Mental Image
    Great Cleave
    Improved Sunder
    Power Attack (prerequisite for Improved Sunder)
    Two-Weapon Pounce

If we include (and as has now been updated ) Spring Attack and the prereques:

Spring Attack
    Dodge
    Mobility

That's eight feats. At lvl 15 he should have six feats, correct? OK, as funny as it is, Craft Disturbing Mental Image can go on the chopping block as a 'real' feat. Maybe he got it for free or sumthin.

There's still one too many feats unless I am massively messing up somewhere.
    What's more, you've left out Cleave, which is a prerequisite for Great Cleave. So there's definitely something fishy going on. I agree that we should take a hard look at just how sure we are that Belkar has Great Cleave. I would say that maybe he took a Fighter dip, but that probably would have come up in the dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    I would include Miron as soon as possibly now (I think we know more of him than of Kilkil). As for class: can't we list him just as "Arcane Spellcaster"?

Or it will crop up every other post
    Just list him as Sor/Wiz, I'd say.
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2013-11-05 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    So she was expecting Tarquin to wait the two rounds it took for her Fast Healing to undo the damage the Red Spray did? That doesn't make much sense to me.
    Well it doesn't make much sense to say 'wait I need to finish healing' immediately after you finish healing either, but that's the world we live in.

For ultrablast there are two components to it: the pyschic grumbling that everyone can hear, and the damaging component. The yellow lines shooting out could be the psychic grumbling, after which only enemies are affected by damage. As for Belkar surviving, let's see what happens in the next comic. If the Order was dealt damage then I think ultrablast is clearly the power in use.

I don't understand why Belkar is being given Great Cleave actually..... he can attack multiple heads because he has multiple attacks, cleaving doesn't seem to be necessary for that strip.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2013-11-05 at 02:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Spamalot in the Playground

As I said in the last two iterations of this thread - Belkar's build runs on pure phlebotinum and Rule of Cool. You may as well give him custom feats that let him add Dex to damage and boost Dex when raging. About the only things we really know about him are his classes, alignment, and that his Will save is somewhere just north of Thog's.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    What's more, you've left out Cleave, which is a prerequisite for Great Cleave. So there's definitely something fishy going on. I agree that we should take a hard look at just how sure we are that Belkar has Great Cleave. I would say that maybe he took a Fighter dip, but that probably would have come up in the dialogue.

Just list him as Sor/Wiz, I'd say.
    Agreed. Listing him as "arcane spellcaster" implies that he could be a bard or some other non-core arcane class (wu jen, etc.), which is pretty clearly not the case.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Has anyone discussed the possibility that the power Laurin manifested was Empathic Transfer, Hostile? Her remaining injuries would be transferred to her target, and it goes from touch to 20' radius burst by augmenting. Tarquin would smile because he's used to it, Durkon would look surprised because it would actually hurt him. It wouldn't kill Belkar because Laurin's HP damage would be divided evenly, and it's a Will save for half, so the high-Will characters could demonstrate a lesser effect.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm willing to go on the record as saying that it is probably ultrablast and Belkar will be dead or unconscious in the next comic, with the full knowledge that if I'm right I get to pretend I'm king of the internet for a day even though nobody really cares, and if I'm wrong refer to that nobody really cares point.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Tarquin appears to have a stunning attack.

Also, do we have a link for Lirian's alignment?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the closest we have to Lirian's alignment is that she's a druid, which requires her to be some form of Neutral. Not sure how much that helps.

24. - Top - End - #234

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Tarquin appears to have a stunning attack.

Also, do we have a link for Lirian's alignment?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...9#post15667889

It's linked in the Index of the Giant's Comments thread.

Lirian is Neutral Good.

Dorukan's alignment link is the same post.
    Last edited by orrion; 2013-11-05 at 06:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coat View Post
    Miron has eaten a lot of damage here, with no visible healing - any chance we can establish a baseline CON bonus?
    Yes. Let us assume that Miron went into this fight buffed with stoneskin, resist cold and resist electricity. Let us further assume that he took the minimum damage possible on each attack that visibly left a wound. Those attacks were as follows:

2 arrows
    1 lightning bolt (he has a wound on his head that was not there in the last strip, and which Haley's arrows couldn't have left)
    1 yellow ray from prismatic spray
    1 greatsword, 2 daggers, 4 arrows

Those attacks dealt damage as follows, again assuming minimum damage modifiers (i.e., no Power Attack for Roy or Rage for Belkar, and assuming Belkar's daggers are each +1, but giving Belkar the benefit of Favored Enemy [human] taken 3 times so he can bypass the DR I've given Miron):

1d8+5+1d6 cold
    1d8+5+1d6 cold
    10d6 electricity (ref halves)
    80 electricity (ref halves)
    2d6+15
    1d3+9
    1d3+9
    1d8+5+1d6 cold
    1d8+5+1d6 cold
    1d8+5+1d6 cold
    1d8+5+1d6 cold

Resolving each attack so that it does at least one damage, and minimum damage, to Miron, we get the following:

11+1 cold => 1
    11+1 cold => 1
    31 electricity => 1 electricity (Miron failed his save, but V only rolled 31 on her damage dice; if Miron had made his save, he would have taken no damage, because V's maximum damage on a lightning bolt that had been saved against would have been 30)
    40 electricity => 10 electricity
    17 => 7
    11 => 1
    11 => 1
    11+1 cold => 1
    11+1 cold => 1
    11+1 cold => 1
    11+1 cold => 1

All told, it is possible that Miron could have taken as little as 26 damage before his contingency activated. This is terribly unlikely, as it is achieved by giving Miron buffs we don't know he has (but can't be sure he doesn't have), and assuming the Order did the absolute minimum damage possible on each successful hit. It doesn't jive with the art showing him covered in wounds, including what look like severe wounds caused by Roy and Belkar. But it is possible.

At minimum, Miron is a level 15 Wizard. If he rolled 4s on all his HD, and is in fact a level 15 Wizard, he would have 60 HP before Constitution. So it's possible, though again, terribly unlikely, that the Order has yet to deplete even half his HP. This sort of thing isn't unprecedented; as I've argued in earlier threads, in order to have survived her fight with Xykon, V needed to have rolled almost all 4s on her HD, have a Constitution penalty of no less than -1, and made all her saves while Xykon did minimal damage. But we don't need to assume Miron's Constitution is average. We want to find a minimum value.

Again assuming Miron to be level 15, and to have rolled all 4s on his HD, in order to find his minimum Constitution we need to give him a penalty that will leave him with no less than 27 HP. That penalty is -2. So Miron, if he is a level 15 Wizard, must have a Constitution of 6 or higher. If he is level 28 or above (which we have absolutely no reason to believe), his Constitution could be as low as 4.

Since we have no reason to believe Miron is anywhere near level 28, we can say with some confidence that his Constitution must be 6 or higher.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-11-05 at 06:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

AssassinGuy

That's a greatsword, 2 daggers, and 4 arrows, Zimmer.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    That's a greatsword, 2 daggers, and 4 arrows, Zimmer.
    Thanks for the correction, but it doesn't change the conclusion. Miron's Constitution is still either 6 or higher.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-11-05 at 06:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Agreed. Listing him as "arcane spellcaster" implies that he could be a bard or some other non-core arcane class (wu jen, etc.), which is pretty clearly not the case.
    Playing devil's advocate, is it? I agree he's not a bard or wu jen, but are there any other arcane primary-casting classes that could fit? (I admit I'm not familiar with the entire panoply of non-core classes.)

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Since we have no reason to believe Miron is anywhere near level 28, we can say with some confidence that his Constitution must be 6 or higher.
    You are good. High five.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-11-05 at 06:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, is it? I agree he's not a bard or wu jen, but are there any other arcane primary-casting classes that could fit? (I admit I'm not familiar with the entire panoply of non-core classes.)

You are good. High five.
    The only other arcane spellcaster classes I can think of that are remotely within the mainstream (i.e. not one of the dozens of classes that may exist within the nebulous world of third-party sourcebooks) are the warlock and the warmage. Miron is definitely not a warlock, as they don't even cast spells, per se. I'm pretty sure he's not a warmage, either, since their spells are pretty tightly focused on military combat, but I can't say for sure, as my copy of Complete Arcane is currently on another continent.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

30. - Top - End - #240

Wu Jen have access to Teleport, Horrid Wilting, and lots of other spells. Not Contingency, though.