New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Characters you can't stat in 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    It looks to me like Lord R, like me, just thinks D&D is unsuited to be used as a generic system - there's quite a few characters it can't model accurately without torturing either the rules, or the character concept.
    The quote you disputed in your first post said "almost any" not "any". The fact that dozens of concepts that people thought would be stumpers weren't is actually a pretty good case that the system is pretty damned flexible. Whether a particular thing is the purview of roleplaying or mechanics in a particular system is a matter of taste rather than superiority or inferiority of a given system. Many people find systems that have rules for conversation and politics as in depth as the dueling rules in Riddle of Steel to be inherently horid for roleplaying.

Toche' on the quiz though, to my knowledge there isn't a mechanical way to have a character lose numerous powers through a means are arbitrary as people thinking of them.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Oh! There's one! The Quiz, from Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. She has every superpower you haven't thought of.
    Commoner 1. She can't use a power without you thinking of it, so she has no powers.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #303

NecromancerGuy

Also, D&D by the rules, doesn't even do most other fantasy very well. Cliche situation: A character staggers up to the hero, gasps out a message, then dies of their injuries. Good luck making THAT happen in a game where Cure Light Wounds is a thing without PC cooperation or some plot device any smart villain would also use on the PCs.

Edit: And any situation where a reasonably-experienced character is being held at crossbow point by a single mook, ignoring the fact even medium-level D&D characters can survive more damage than a Sherman tank.
    The first can happen in a low magic world or in a game that uses the "last words" houserule previously discussed. You only dismissed "massive housruling" in the OP. Most people posting challenges have been extremely hostile to houseruling despite this and most posters answering challenges have avoided houseruling, but it seems ingenuine to now be hostile to minor quality of life houserules that create the atmosphere the dungeon master wants for their particular world.

The single mook issue is actually something I called out earlier as being a source of ludonarrative dissonace within a lot of source material. If it's a spiny issue if you over think it in it's source; I don't believe it's fair to harp on it's poor modeling in a game system.

4. - Top - End - #304

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Commoner 1. She can't use a power without you thinking of it, so she has no powers.
    I've seen the character sheet from the Marvel RPG. "You" doesn't apply to the quiz or by extension the gamemaster, unless the gamemaster thinks of it and decides another NPC thought of it. The quiz being functional for more than a round depends on the gamemaster either having dozens of powers ready to use for one round or something obscure enough that you won't think of it even if you see it functioning.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

A character staggers up to the hero, gasps out a message, then dies of their injuries. Good luck making THAT happen in a game where Cure Light Wounds is a thing without PC cooperation or some plot device any smart villain would also use on the PCs.

Vile damage

6. - Top - End - #306

Also, D&D by the rules, doesn't even do most other fantasy very well.
    To be entirely fair, D&D doesn't do D&D very well either. Just need to compare an actual game of mid level D&D with basically any Forgotten Realms or Eberron or Dragonlance or Greyhawk and so on. Because I've read a book where that cliché scenario happens. When the guy being delivered the message is a 15th level cleric.

And, ironically, D&D isn't very good at doing either dungeons or dragons either.

7. - Top - End - #307

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    To be entirely fair, D&D doesn't do D&D very well either. Just need to compare an actual game of mid level D&D with basically any Forgotten Realms or Eberron or Dragonlance or Greyhawk and so on. Because I've read a book where that cliché scenario happens. When the guy being delivered the message is a 15th level cleric.

And, ironically, D&D isn't very good at doing either dungeons or dragons either.
    You're placing blame in the wrong direction. The books are failing to follow D&D's rules.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    A character staggers up to the hero, gasps out a message, then dies of their injuries. Good luck making THAT happen in a game where Cure Light Wounds is a thing without PC cooperation or some plot device any smart villain would also use on the PCs.

Vile damage
    So it takes going out of the way and having the character take a special kind of damage, whereas in the fiction they generally just got stabbed or something. I'm not impressed.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_of_Vecna View Post
    You're placing blame in the wrong direction. The books are failing to follow D&D's rules.
    Yeah, expecting the books to follow the rules seems pretty out there when the game's own statblocks fail to follow them.

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_of_Vecna View Post
    For the former, probably. The latter though refers to the system as well.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    So it takes going out of the way and having the character take a special kind of damage, whereas in the fiction they generally just got stabbed or something. I'm not impressed.
    The character who is victim could also be using transcend mortality or similar. For a set period pretty much just not going to die by most standard means. When times up they end no questions asked though.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I don't see what there is to not be impressed by. A specific situation was desired, and here's how to do it in game. Is there really anything being lost from the scenario by involving special damage types? In fact, I'd argue that it's even more dramatic than the base situation. Instead of the messenger just keeling over after delivering a message, in this scenario the party cleric desperately attempts to toss his most potent healing spell at the messenger, only for it to fail utterly against the immense evil that must have done this. Maybe the villain even wanted this to happen, took out this guy only most of the way such that the cleric would be crushed by the futility of it all. Maybe some other thing, I don't know. Point is, the task as written seems like it was completed adequately.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Barbarian in the Playground

Has anyone mentioned Goku? Or anyone from Dragonball Z, I suppose.

I mean...I see several ways it can be done, but they involve epic-level monstrosities, massive houseruling, or having lots of extras irrelevant to the character.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narren View Post

I mean...I see several ways it can be done, but they involve epic-level monstrosities, massive houseruling, or having lots of extras irrelevant to the character.
    It has been mentioned that you can't disallow epic level builds for clearly epic concepts. People who have to be careful when fighting to not end the planet they're on are epic. Period.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.

15. - Top - End - #315

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    It has been mentioned that you can't disallow epic level builds for clearly epic concepts. People who have to be careful when fighting to not end the planet they're on are epic. Period.
    Honestly, this should never have needed to be said, but it has been, like a half dozen times.

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by Narren View Post

Statting him in Dragonball would be a challenge, but PROBABLY acceptable within this particular framework. After, though? Yeah, no dice. Epic be Epic. As far as this discussion is concerned, Epic characters like the upper tiers of the Justice League (with Superman being the worst contender, if memory serves) or basically anybody from DBZ save the 'weaklings' like Yamcha or Krillin (and even then, they're pretty damn close) is just not going to bloody work south of Epic. I'm fairly sure there's several of them that can be built pretty faithfully WITH epic, though. Just have to tweak it a bit (and for the ones who'd have access to certain things they wouldn't use if they were in 3.5, that's actually even better; they CAN do these things, they just choose not to for whatever reason).

The only things that couldn't really be done right without involving non-3.5 material or calling the existing fluff nonexistent (names of the items included) are the High-Tech stuff, and even then there are exceptions (Terminator, for instance).

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    I don't see what there is to not be impressed by. A specific situation was desired, and here's how to do it in game. Is there really anything being lost from the scenario by involving special damage types? In fact, I'd argue that it's even more dramatic than the base situation. Instead of the messenger just keeling over after delivering a message, in this scenario the party cleric desperately attempts to toss his most potent healing spell at the messenger, only for it to fail utterly against the immense evil that must have done this. Maybe the villain even wanted this to happen, took out this guy only most of the way such that the cleric would be crushed by the futility of it all. Maybe some other thing, I don't know. Point is, the task as written seems like it was completed adequately.
    The capacity for a routine fantasy trope is what was asked for. When it takes extremely niche stuff to get said trope, the system isn't a very good model. The task as written explicitly refers to a fantasy trope, and the trope isn't one of a very special evil magic being able to leave someone where they have dying words, the trope is where someone gets suddenly stabbed, or shot, or thrown off a height, and the heroes arrive as they die and get the last words.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

The capacity for a routine fantasy trope is what was asked for. When it takes extremely niche stuff to get said trope, the system isn't a very good model. The task as written explicitly refers to a fantasy trope, and the trope isn't one of a very special evil magic being able to leave someone where they have dying words, the trope is where someone gets suddenly stabbed, or shot, or thrown off a height, and the heroes arrive as they die and get the last words.
    How often does this trope occur in a fantasy setting where healing magic is common? Almost never. So, if your setting has healing magic as a common thing, and you try to use this, you're being stupid.

However, some settings are low magic, sometimes they have special rules about magic. I am currently in a campaign with no divine magic. That means no healing. In that setting, it is entirely possible for this to occur. But should I expect this to work in a setting that regularly features clerics and paladins? No.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quite frankly that sort of thing should be rare especially in any setting with magical healing effective enough to work as field hospitals on people not even far advanced into half the divine classes, and the people who aren't involved with any sort of divine caster can just buy a wand or even a potion if they suck at all magic forever. People fully capable of soliloquizing shouldn't be hard to save outside of some very specifically niche scenarios in all but the least powerful of settings. Hell we'll probably be at something not too far from that level of efficiency if not portability within a few decades.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

It just doesn't seem like there's much difference, to be honest. You're just saying, "Make this high magic game be low magic," which seems out of scope to me. The situation as presented, despite the presence of a vile weapon, gets across pretty much all of the dramatic weight desired, and fills the exact same story function. Seriously, if you want this guy to say stuff before he dies, just have him do that. He falls, takes enough damage to kill him, but says something dramatic before death can claim him. Done. It's bending things a little, maybe, but not in a particularly problematic way.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Funny. But since she had powers in the comic book, people outside the medium don't count.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2014-08-04 at 11:07 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Quite frankly that sort of thing should be rare especially in any setting with magical healing effective enough to work as field hospitals on people not even far advanced into half the divine classes, and the people who aren't involved with any sort of divine caster can just buy a wand or even a potion if they suck at all magic forever. People fully capable of soliloquizing shouldn't be hard to save outside of some very specifically niche scenarios in all but the least powerful of settings. Hell we'll probably be at something not too far from that level of efficiency if not portability within a few decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    It just doesn't seem like there's much difference, to be honest. You're just saying, "Make this high magic game be low magic," which seems out of scope to me. The situation as presented, despite the presence of a vile weapon, gets across pretty much all of the dramatic weight desired, and fills the exact same story function. Seriously, if you want this guy to say stuff before he dies, just have him do that.
    Exactly. D&D doesn't handle low magic well. It's limited in what it handles well, and while it's big enough that there are often pretty niche, contrived ways to get around that limit with a ridiculous amount of system mastery, it still compares unfavorably to generics. With that in mind, the versatility of it being played up too much really comes into focus.

-- ChubbyRain

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Exactly. D&D doesn't handle low magic well. It's limited in what it handles well, and while it's big enough that there are often pretty niche, contrived ways to get around that limit with a ridiculous amount of system mastery, it still compares unfavorably to generics. With that in mind, the versatility of it being played up too much really comes into focus.
    I take umbridge with the insinuation that a trope that's ninety percent of the time misused by hacks being less likely to happen is a bad thing. Now it can be done well but most times it's not. Similar concepts would be the amnesiac protagonist.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

It handles low magic fine. You just, you know, remove the magic, and the monsters that don't belong in a low magic world

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Except it handles this in particular just fine, as has been noted. I'm not really sure what you're missing with this solution in terms of actual impact on the game. It's a high power game, so problems have to be higher power in order to be difficult or unsolvable. That doesn't mean that those problems can't exist though.

Edit: Also, I've gotta say, it feels a bit like railroading to present a bad thing and find it problematic when the players fairly solve it. Volition is awesome.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2014-08-04 at 11:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

This is mostly an issue in 3.5, where we have the same rules for everybody, and player mortality is supposed to be lower. This means that world wide mortality is lower according to the rules. But there is a lot of handwaving, and it's accepted handwaving.

I'm not sure if it compares unfavorably to generics. Because if you have NPCs operating under the same rules as PCs, and you have them easier to kill, then it makes PCs easier to kill, which could make for a less fun game. The problem is when people point out narrative problems they see in D&D they are assuming a much higher level of transparency than D&D actually has as a general rule. The guy stumbling in and handing the letter over is flavor text, he's already really dead. And if the players want to save him or resurrect him, then that's an exciting side quest, but the DM doesn't have to allow it.

So again it's not that D&D is a bad system for generic fantasy, so much as D&D is a good system for low character mortality as compared to most generic fantasy systems I've seen.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Just wanted to pop my head in and mention that, once characters hit epic, anything is stattable by RAW, as epic spells can do anything. I once tried to attach a humanoid weapon to my epic monk/wizard by making an epic spell that bound a solar's body and mind to my character's body, allowing an extra set of actions, access to solar cleric casting, and other coolness. The only reason that it didn't work out is that the DM killed off all solars in existence before I could manage it (though I later realized that a revised spell could have worked, making a fake solar and then binding it to the character).

Hehe. Good times. My point is that epic rules have Mac truck-sized open-ended rules in them, which allow mainly spell casters (but indirectly everyone) to achieve truly hyperbolic effects (like Jack_Simth's technique to animate an earth-sized planet with just 2-3 epic spells cast repeatedly). With mythals on the table, even characters like Suzumiya Haruhi come within reach, with costless at will wish-fulfillment becoming eminently possible (among other similarly epic scope abilities).
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

28. - Top - End - #328

BarbarianGuy

Most if not all of Homestuck characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Do you mean "attractive women, or spiders", or "attractive women, or attractive spiders"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    I too object to the unspecified way the imaginary, timeless, supposedly unkillable monster in the imaginary world of magic and elves and dragons aquired its martial training. Clearly that doesn't make SENSE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brova View Post
    Because if you are in a position to break the Wizard's spell component pouch and stop him from casting spells, you are also in a position to stab him in the kidneys and stop him from being alive.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrowing1432 View Post
    Most if not all of Homestuck characters.
    Well, Bec's an Epic-level Advanced Blink Dog...
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

like Jack_Simth's technique to animate an earth-sized planet with just 2-3 epic spells cast repeatedly

That's nothing. Tippy once made a living planet wizard pre-epic.
    Last edited by Story; 2014-08-05 at 01:44 AM.