New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: OOTS #692 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    If it's not worth your trouble to read the rest of the thread, why in the world is it supposed to be worth my trouble to read your posts or to reply to your questions?

If there were a killfile or scorefile function on this thing everyone who regularly posts without bothering to read the thread would go in it for me. It's not that hard to read the thread, you'll still get ninja'd occassionally or miss something, but really.
    This forum is already catering to the Lawful Stupids enough as it is. Please, no more rules.
    I do, however, wonder what the poor strawman ever did to you. - Kish

2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

There's a rather thickly-drawn line in the sand that they don't appear to have crossed yet. It looks too close (and wavy) to be a horizon.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

smile Re: OOTS #692 - The Discussion Thread

Aw. He flowered her!
    "Mummies? Okay, I pull flaming oil out of my backpack!"

4. - Top - End - #154

BlueKnightGuy

I just realized: this strip signifies that a week has pretty much gone by. I mean more like a work-week... 5 days, possibly 6. Plus factor in how long they've been on the continent...

Is this like at least 15% of the time gone since at least strip 666? Maybe 20%?
    Last edited by Nilan8888; 2009-11-30 at 07:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

ten bucks Elan found some sort of chest-looking monster/trap

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Basic BBS posting logic is that you should read the full last page of a thread before posting. Anything more than that is optional. I mean, if a thread is only a few pages long, it would be better to read them all, but some threads here get to be over a dozen pages, and pretty fast! Seriously, if posts with repeated questions bother you, just tell the person on which page he can find the answer... or just ignore it.

Back on topic, I just realized I don't know what "Taking 20" means. We didn't have that rule back in my D&D playing days. anybody can explain that?
    Opinions are like butts- everybody has got one, but nobody thinks theirs stinks.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackShadow View Post
    OK, slightly off-topic, but I've just had an idea about how Girards Gate is concealed, and by the Twelve Gods, it actually WORKS!

OK, so the OotS are in a desert right? Its a fairly sandy desert, with lots of sand dunes, correct? If there weren't dunes, and very deep sand, the worm wouldn't have been able to travel around (presuming it can't burrow through solid rock). Well everybody knows that sand isn't especially stable, and so in deserts the landscape is changing very frequently. Its also been many, many years since the Order of the Scribble first found the rift on the Western Continent and made the Gate to hold it. Thus, it holds that the landscape around Girard's Gate would have changed significantly over the intervening years, given the nature of the environment.

My hypothesis, then, is this: the Order are in almost the right place where the Gate is, but the separation is a matter of vertical distance. The Gate is buried beneath decades' worth of sand.

What do you guys think? It works on a realistic, practical level, it doesn't necessarily over-rule any illusions that Girard might have on the place (rather, it suits him to have the sand as well as the illusions), and it explains why the Order hasn't found it yet, despite the best of their efforts.

Real world precedent: The pyramids at Giza and the Sphinx, despite their considerable size, were for great portions of their existence concealed beneath the dunes of the Sahara desert.
    I think that's very likely, although we haven't seen any sandstorms yet. If it is the case, I wonder where Girard is tho...
    !

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Taking 20 is a rule where players can decide "no matter how many times we fail, we're insisting until we got it right". Basically, it means they keep rolling until a natural 20 comes up, thus it can't be done with actions where failure has significant effect or prevents a second try. Instead of physically rolling the die again and again, the players just say they "take 20" and it is assumed that several failures, and then a success, result from that.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Would not it be crazy if the desert is not there? If the whole desert is an illusion? I know, I know, there are desert races ans such... but... I just like the idea

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Would not it be crazy if the desert is not there? If the whole desert is an illusion? I know, I know, there are desert races ans such... but... I just like the idea
    Good idea, but you are thinking too small, how about, the entire Stickverse has been an illusion all along, and Belkar is, and always has been... Chuck Norris!
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing. But enough about your story of your first child's death, you could all use an update on my problems.

To who ever starts another thread about Belkar's death, To the last I grapple with thee... from Hell's heart I stab at thee... For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Dread Cthulu wills that "Belkar-style lip-based assault" shall enter popular parlance! Remember kids, when in doubt, set something on fire.

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by CasESenSITItiVE View Post
    could be any number of divination spells

my good money's on commune

A divination spell's possible, but what strikes me as more likely is that, judging by the way the panels seem to transition back and forth from day to night, I'd guess that panel four is early morning, with Roy keeping watch and checking his calculations, while Durkon is praying for his daily spell selection (as clerics are required to do each day. ;))

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As for the power ballad, is it Hazel Dean's "Searchin'"? Would be appropriate if so, but I don't remember the lyrics!
    I would actually try the Allman Brothers: "Searching" - From Freebird. But then just about anything from the Allman Brothers is on Freebird.

I would like to change my comment:
    Steve Winwood - We're all looking

The source lyrics:
    But we're searching
    Deep in our own minds
    We're all looking
    Sometimes we're blind
    Last edited by Elfich; 2009-11-30 at 09:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Calinero View Post
    I'm gonna flaunt my ignorance of 80's power ballads and be the one to ask: what song is Elan parodying?
    It sounds like Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" to me. Fits the desert theme, too.

Start singing from "I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride."

Also, Mr. Scruffy says: "My haffing will bring you teh painz, monster!"
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

How can Elan, in the last panel, sing and speak to Roy at the same time?
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

15. - Top - End - #165

How can Elan, in the last panel, sing and speak to Roy at the same time?
    Good breath control

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Many things about this comic are great.

Elan making a camera.
    Belkar killing something that attempted to harm Mr Scruffy.
    Elan having mean face while killing cactus.
    Elan giving cactus head to Haley with them cuddling and Haley holding cactus flower with smile.

Last one was my favorite

17. - Top - End - #167

ClericGirl

I'm now kind of disappointed that I didn't have the 80s power ballad playing in the background while I was reading the comic.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mec View Post
    Aw. He flowered her!
    Hehe. I guess that counteracts Roy being deflowered in strip 669. I assume you were referring to that :-)

I really did like that touch. Call me romantic, but I really like the way that Rich is subtly showing the Elan really does care for Haley. He might not be the brightest person around, but his heart is clearly in the right place. This is perfectly true to the character that's been established for Elan.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    Metal detectors? THIS IS D&D,NOT EARTH!
    Normally, you'd be right; but obviously it's a staff of locate object . Fortunately rogues can use magic items....
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Mattys View Post
    She's holding the cactus flower Elan gave her after defeating the evil cactus!!!
    (also, notice the thorns on Elan in the same panel )
    Ah, now that makes sense. Wonder why I didn't see that. If anyone could tell me what happened to that fabled treasure chest in 691, then that would magical.
    When people told you that you were dumb, they were being nice.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lkctgo View Post
    If anyone could tell me what happened to that fabled treasure chest in 691, then that would magical.
    They got lewts. It just wasn't worth dedicating any panels to.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by derfenrirwolv View Post
    I don't know about you, but if a cactus is somehow putting up a good fight, i think something absurd happened.
    Well, the cactus is negating Elan's prestige class by being unable to understand his puns

23. - Top - End - #173

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nilan8888 View Post
    I suggest another look at Panel 2.

I don't think the imagery there of V out in the Dark searching for something with his familiar helping him -- yet both looking in opposite directions -- is cooincidence. It's very resonant, in fact, using the current situation to reflect a truth of the greater story arc.
    Looking in opposite directions could well simply be a reasonable method for searching. The lonliness of those two may well be resonant or foreshadowing, but I do not see much that characterises V in that panel. Simply that he is looking. One could add significance to it as we know much about him in general, but the mere image is not enough for full characterisation. At least this is my take on the panel. And besides characterisation is more than simply the resonant parephenalia of the scene, it is the actions and words and expressions of the characters. A sillouhette (may be misspelled) can't always do that.
    If I cared about this, I would probably do something about it.

24. - Top - End - #174

To sum up my opinion in two words:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Sherman
    It Stinks!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Let me just say last two strips #691 & #692 - the funniest and best for a long time. (for me at least, p.s. not that I didn't like the previous ones, these two just stand out for me)

26. - Top - End - #176

Nice visual page.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Banned

tongue Re: OOTS #692 - The Discussion Thread

I am starting to think that Belkinator is fond of the fluffyinator

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mec View Post
    Aw. He flowered her!
    I think it's more accurate to say he Deflowered the cactus. With his "weapon of choice" no less!

Caerwyn
    lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

fnord

29. - Top - End - #179

PirateWench

I wonder if X and R are scrying them, kicked back someplace shady and cool, letting the Order do all the work and ready to jump in as soon as soon as the Gate's found.
    Last edited by One Skunk Todd; 2009-12-01 at 03:06 PM.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

30. - Top - End - #180

BlueKnightGuy

Looking in opposite directions could well simply be a reasonable method for searching. The lonliness of those two may well be resonant or foreshadowing, but I do not see much that characterises V in that panel. Simply that he is looking. One could add significance to it as we know much about him in general, but the mere image is not enough for full characterisation. At least this is my take on the panel. And besides characterisation is more than simply the resonant parephenalia of the scene, it is the actions and words and expressions of the characters. A sillouhette (may be misspelled) can't always do that.
    I disagree with that. True, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but I think that panel totally characterizes where V is in his life in that Panel. Out in the dark, searching by himself for something with his familiar there.

What they're searching for in the metaphorical and in the real story are two completely different things. But I see where V is after his defeat at Xykon's hands totally personified in that panel. On the surface in conveys one thing but it's totally fitting as a definition of where he is and what's happened to him at a totally other level.