New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1185 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Psychronia View Post
    It's probably normal that I'm more reassured that Sigdri is watching over Kudzu than the fact that Hilgya is.

No worries, Durkon. Ma is gonna watch over those two like a Beholder. Probably some extra-eye variant kind.
    Say what you will about Hilgya, but she does care for Kudzu enough to change her plans from burning the clan hall to bankrupting her family for his sake. And if that isn't love, I don't know what love is.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-11-09 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Say what you will about Hilgya, but she does care for Kudzu enough to change her plans from burning the clan hall to bankrupting her family for his sake. And if that isn't love, I don't know what love is.
    I had hopes for what you were linking to, and I was not disappointed.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I was. Weird Al made up for it though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I was. Weird Al made up for it though.
    Try this one. I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Now for another question: do I creep you out?
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-11-09 at 09:05 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

"HELLO HIGHEST PRIESTESS OF THE ARCH-NEMESIS OF MY GOD! JUST SAYING THAT IF MY GOD'S DIVINE PLAN ENDS UP WITH DECIDING TO DESTROY THIS WORLD ALONG EVERYBODY ELSE ON IT, GRAB MY CLOSE FAMILY AND RUN FOR IT! K thnx bye!"

Truly Durkon's the most devout follower of Thor, his faith unshakeable, his trust on Thor doing the best for his loved ones so strong that Durkon'll rather pass pass the fate of said loved ones to Thor's greatest foe, the evil god of lies Loki himself.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-11-09 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    "HELLO HIGHEST PRIESTESS OF THE ARCH-NEMESIS OF MY GOD! JUST SAYING THAT IF MY GOD'S DIVINE PLAN ENDS UP WITH DECIDING TO DESTROY THIS WORLD ALONG EVERYBODY ELSE ON IT, GRAB MY CLOSE FAMILY AND RUN FOR IT! K thnx bye!"

Truly Durkon's the most devout follower of Thor, his faith unshakeable, his trust on Thor doing the best for his loved ones that he'll rather entrust their fate to Thor's greatest foe, the evil god of lies Loki himself.
    Who said anything about him being worried about the plan? It wasn't that long ago he explicitly said he was worried about being able to convince Redcloak, and defeating Xykon is also a problem, just because the plan is the best one they have doesn't mean that he can completely trust the Order's ability to execute it.

Hilgya also isn't the highest priestess necessarily? Like there is at least one higher priest, Hilgya is just as much the high priestess of Loki as Durkon is Thor's high priest.

And finally, he isn't trusting in Loki or anything, he's trusting Hilgya specifically, and its not even that much, just enough to save the life of her son and the nearest person when she's saving herself, which is the bare minimum to expect of someone who is a couple of kilonazis better than Xykon (still Evil though, don't anyone dare take this as meaning I think she's CN).
    This is a bad idea isn't it? I really shouldn't be doing this, but this horse hasn't quite been turned to dust yet.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Hilgya pretty much stated that she'd not risk herself and her child to save Sigdi by spending time searching for her in the event of things starting to shake. But she also raised the fair point that Sigdi would be around most or all of the time, which rendered it moot. And so she will save Sigdi in that event.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Truly Durkon's the most devout follower of Thor, his faith unshakeable, his trust on Thor doing the best for his loved ones so strong that Durkon'll rather pass pass the fate of said loved ones to Thor's greatest foe, the evil god of lies Loki himself.
    No, Deuterio, Hilgya is not Loki's High Priest. Loki's High Priest is a brown-skinned halfling with black hair, who looks nothing like Hilgya save for being humanoid and short.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    No, Deuterio, Hilgya is not Loki's High Priest. Loki's High Priest is a brown-skinned halfling with black hair, who looks nothing like Hilgya save for being humanoid and short.
    I'm humanoid and short too.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm humanoid and short too.
    You know who else is humanoid and short? The niece of a certain major antagonist of this comic....

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    You know who else is humanoid and short? The niece of a certain major antagonist of this comic....
    I'm not Elan's female cousin.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

We're talking about Order of the Stick, not Followers of the Bramble. You're looking for the forum 10 blocks west of here.

13. - Top - End - #193

To be fair, he said "highest priestess" not "high Priestess", and there is a distinct possibility that H, being at this point close to epic, is effectively the highest (as of the highest level) priestess of Loki. I don't know if that makes sense in english, since I've my own problems with it, but my first interpretation was the one I explained.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    To be fair, he said "highest priestess" not "high Priestess",
    Hilgya can't be a high priestess, she didn't have any beer on-screen. (Old slang for being inebriated was High, which of course the stoners appropriated ... and since the conditions are similar, why make up a new word?)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-11-10 at 06:58 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Once again, you should try reading the actual comic instead of the imaginary version you've invented to complain about.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, he said "highest priestess" not "high Priestess", and there is a distinct possibility that H, being at this point close to epic, is effectively the highest (as of the highest level) priestess of Loki. I don't know if that makes sense in english, since I've my own problems with it, but my first interpretation was the one I explained.
    Do we know this?
    The Class Geekery thread put her at level 14+. We know she's 15 at least now because she cast Resurrection.
    But that's still not near-epic. And we don't know the level of the High Priest of Loki.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

17. - Top - End - #197
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Do we know this?
    The Class Geekery thread put her at level 14+. We know she's 15 at least now because she cast Resurrection.
    But that's still not near-epic. And we don't know the level of the High Priest of Loki.
    I mean I agree with this, but Resurrection is 7th level so she can still cast it at level 14.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Do we know this?
    No, that's another Followers of the Bramble fact.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean I agree with this, but Resurrection is 7th level so she can still cast it at level 14.
    Oopsie. My mistake.
    So she may only be 14+ indeed.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we know this?
    That depends on how you define "near-epic". Level 15 is closer to epic than 15 other levels, so it's somewhat close...
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How about we describe 'near epic' as a value of levels which if rounded to have 1 significant figure properly would be 20. So 14 isn't, but 15-19 is. 20+ obviously IS epic

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically 20 isn't epic YET, and rounds to itself.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Technically 20 isn't epic YET, and rounds to itself.
    Everything rounds to itself if you use the correct base.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Galliant View Post
    How about we describe 'near epic' as a value of levels which if rounded to have 1 significant figure properly would be 20. So 14 isn't, but 15-19 is. 20+ obviously IS epic
    Near Epic is level 25+

25. - Top - End - #205

Do we know this?
    No, we don't know how much close to epic she is, actually.
    Nonetheless since at the time of Sigdi afair the church of Thor had not a priest able to cast regeneration (therefore not even the HP), one might argue about the fact that either at the time of Sigdi the church of Thor sucked badly and then hit a golden age, or H even at level 14-15 as good chances to be higher than Rubyrock.

But that doesn't answer to your fair point, that is about my assumption around her level.

So let me tell you a story: years ago, when the gang started to move toward Firmament, I said[1] H was going to return in the comic and that her level would have been the same of Durkon+, for the archnemesis rule.
    Of course my theory was bashed. She had no reason to be back, and surely enough she didn't level up so much of her own[2]. Mine was a very silly theory, and I couldn't use the archnemesis rule, which was mostly a joke, like that.

Go and figure who was right.

So, till proved wrong, I assume the archnemesis rule was indeed working, and H had at least as many level as D before being killed, and she is around the same level of V and the others.

[1] To be totally fair, I was maybe the second one, still afair, to propose that. But I'd say I was the most adamantine about that happening. (Edit: to clarify why I call it "my theory", nonetheless I think I was the first and, more importantly, only one to claim that she was going to be of the same level of the gang, thanks to the archnemesis rule, so that, indeed, was my theory).
    [2] To be totally fair, I replied that then she could have her own group at that point, which didn't happen.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2019-11-11 at 04:48 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206

No, we don't know how much close to epic she is, actually.
    Nonetheless since at the time of Sigdi afair the church of Thor had not a priest able to cast regeneration (therefore not even the HP), one might argue about the fact that either at the time of Sigdi the church of Thor sucked badly and then hit a golden age, or H even at level 14-15 as good chances to be higher than Rubyrock.
    While it's true that in #983 Sigdi says that "among us dwarves, only the high priest of Odin has that kind of magic [to Regenerate my arm]"* I think in light of #1184's info we should read that not as a definitive "The Church of Thor has nobody capable" but instead as another of Sigdi's excuses to not get her arm back. That's actually how I initially read the scene in #983, so maybe there is some confirmation bias here, but I still think #1184 backs up that interpretation.

*I am not translating Sigdi's accent because I'm on mobile at the moment and that would take too long, but the quote is accurate otherwise
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2019-11-11 at 10:16 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    While it's true that in #983 Sigdi says that "among us dwarves, only the high priest of Odin has that kind of magic [to Regenerate my arm]"* I think in light of #1184's info we should read that not as a definitive "The Church of Thor has nobody capable" but instead as another of Sigdi's excuses to not get her arm back. That's actually how I initially read the scene in #983, so maybe there is some confirmation bias here, but I still think #1184 backs up that interpretation.

*I am not translating Sigdi's accent because I'm on mobile at the moment and that would take too long, but the quote is accurate otherwise
    Or the high priest of Odin lived among the dwarves and the high priest of Thor (or any other god popular among the dwarves) did not, and may not have been a dwarf at all.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Rio is just some 300 miles from here. It's currently mild there, if that temperature is accurate, but it sometimes gets to 104 F in the summer.
    Do you regularly use miles and Fahrenheit down in Brazil, or were you just translating for us backward rubes?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

29. - Top - End - #209

Or the high priest of Odin lived among the dwarves and the high priest of Thor (or any other god popular among the dwarves) did not, and may not have been a dwarf at all.
    Exactly, or this. In any case, I find it highly unlikely that there is only ONE Dwarf in ALL Dwarvenkind capable of casting a 7th level Cleric spell. It's far more likely that either Sigdi was wrong, Sigdi was making up an excuse to her young son, or that any other Dwarf or non-Dwarf Cleric was (in)conveniently unavailable to cast such a spell for them for whatever reason.
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2019-11-11 at 11:05 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    Exactly, or this. In any case, I find it highly unlikely that there is only ONE Dwarf in ALL Dwarvenkind capable of casting a 7th level Cleric spell. It's far more likely that either Sigdi was wrong, Sigdi was making up an excuse to her young son, or that any other Dwarf or non-Dwarf Cleric was (in)conveniently unavailable to cast such a spell for them for whatever reason.
    I agree she was saying that to placate her son, but I doubt she was really making up an excuse; she couldn't pay for the casting in any event. It'd be like someone seeing my hybrid and asking why I don't drive an F-450. I may just say, "well, I can't afford that," which is true enough even though I wouldn't be getting one regardless. Since if I had the money, I'd be getting full electric.