New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The end of Ctrl-Alt-Del

So uh
    Sure, it's Buckley, but more depictions of murdered ponies is a good thing in my book. I guess you win this round, Tim!

e: Then again, the punchline is violence again and there are no Players, so he's a bad liar. Eff you bee up you
    Last edited by Ikialev; 2012-11-26 at 08:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

The punchline is violence. Don't mess with us.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Well, post-revival Futurama has been on the whole, pretty terrible. Not as bad as post-revival Family Guy, but still a sad shadow of its former self.
    I'm going to have to stop you right there.

A Clockwork Origin, The Late Philip J. Fry, and Prisoner of Benda were three of the best episodes of Futurama ever made. I admit that Season 7 has been merely decent television, but Season 6 is wonderful.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh well done Tim.

You decided to axe characters I found likeable or at least interesting to watch, gave them a crap ending and for what? Jokes about touchscreen gaming and MLP I've heard a billion times before?

/applauds

But hey, at least the haters are happy now and will stop hating. Oh wait, no they won't.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Great. Now I can't tell if which I find more unsettling; B^Uckley's ponies or Fadri's.
    Well, he needed time to adapt to the new generation 4 ponies. But his drawing of Skyflier (Pre-G4) is better than the death ponies.
    I agree with Succubus, why he squish on Rarity? WHY?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

I can get some happy glee off of watching the ponies that have nearly been shoven through my rectum to be killed yet the joke is still highly trivial and just voilent.

Technically the Punchline isn't violence, yet the joke is crap just the same.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Whelp. Here comes the new CAD, same as the old CAD.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fallbot View Post
    Whelp. Here comes the new CAD, same as the old CAD.
    Speech bubble borders are black now though.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ha ha, anyone who thought this was ending is a bit deluded. This is just the standard practice of Tim "ending" his dramatic story arcs.

Penguin arc - Tim got pissy, dumped all the comics at once.
    Gaming Tournament/Hunger Games arc - Best publish a 48 page pdf instead of drawing the comic.
    Time Travel arc - This is over because I say so.

Every time he goes back to terrible, badly drawn video game jokes.

I mean honestly, end CAD? What the heck would Tim Buckley do if this garbage didn't support him? He doesn't have any work experience these last 10 years. He doesn't have any education. CAD's the only thing that keeps him away from a minimum wage retail job that he's surely under qualified for.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-11-26 at 02:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Oh well done Tim.

You decided to axe characters I found likeable or at least interesting to watch, gave them a crap ending and for what? Jokes about touchscreen gaming and MLP I've heard a billion times before?

/applauds

But hey, at least the haters are happy now and will stop hating. Oh wait, no they won't.
    *shares a glass of delicious haterade, flavored with the finest tears of raeg*

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    I mean honestly, end CAD? What the heck would Tim Buckley do if this garbage didn't support him? He doesn't have any work experience these last 10 years. He doesn't have any education. CAD's the only thing that keeps him away from a minimum wage retail job that he's surely under qualified for.
    Well he would have gone to art school, but they wouldn't let him draw comics like his hero Stan Lee, famous Marvel artist. Hell with those guys.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ahaahahahah he retconned the CAD ending 5 days after it happened and made Ethan a Jesus analog.
    I've never been angrier at CAD before.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Oh well done Tim.

/applauds

What he said^ like i said before i'll look forward to more "players" shenanigans, but i recently realized the whole story-mode with Ethan and crew was really what drew me into the comic, it's what made CAD different from Penny Arcade for me, i dunno, with any luck it won't fall to PA levels, but still.

edit: Nnnkay thanks to Iki now know a new page was snuck in between the previous one and the pony one.

You know what? ... i'm okay with this.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2012-11-27 at 06:24 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I like this ending more. It's not perfect but Ethan's actions still eventually bite him on the ass (which is fine with me) but at least some of the more blameless characters like Lucas and Kate get a happy ending.

I do have a question for the hater crowd though - some of you really seem to *loathe* Tim Buckley for some reason and don't tell me it's just because of the miscarriage arc. I am curious to know what the guy has said and or done to incur your ire? I'm not asking from a defensive position, I genuinely am curious.

After all, he couldn't have taken a dump in *all* of your breakfast bowls, so I'm guessing it's something else.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikialev View Post
    Ahaahahahah he retconned the CAD ending 5 days after it happened and made Ethan a Jesus analog.
    Uh, no he didnt. Ethan died. He didnt come back. Lilah built a "church" of gaming as a sort of monument to him, which is both cool and silly and a bit excessive, and lucas got married and had a kid he named ethan to remember his dead best friend. There is no jesus analog, ethan didnt burst from his grave screaming about how annoying it was to have to dig himself out. He's dead Jim.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

I don't really have a problem with him personally, but I find the Something Awful mock threads and edits hilarious and I can summarize some of the problems people have had with him.

Tim's guilty of art theft - he stole Abby's design from another artist and then later compounded the whole thing by threatening to sue a high schooler for using CAD characters in a school project.

He made a pretty racist joke about Black Zeke, edited the comic four times before finally removing the racism, and played the ‘I have black friends and they said it was ok’ card.

He’s notoriously rude to posters on his forums and bans people that disagree with him, and his behaviour at conventions is apparently pretty appalling – there are stories of him sitting around playing xbox until the queue of fans is long enough for him to bother with.

There are other more dubious claims that he’s assaulted a friend’s girlfriend, exposed himself to a minor and shoplifted steak by hiding it in his pants, but I don’t think any of that’s true. I’ve also heard that when Penny Arcade set up their Child’s Play charity, rather than working with them like a lot of other webcomic authors, he set up his own competing charity then, when nothing came of it, kept the money and used it to buy an expensive tablet. I can’t substantiate that, but it’s more plausible than the other rumours.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Uh, no he didnt. Ethan died. He didnt come back. Lilah built a "church" of gaming as a sort of monument to him, which is both cool and silly and a bit excessive, and lucas got married and had a kid he named ethan to remember his dead best friend. There is no jesus analog, ethan didnt burst from his grave screaming about how annoying it was to have to dig himself out. He's dead Jim.
    The Church of Gaming concept existed earlier in the comic; I think it developed during a Winter-een-mas. There was a pantheon of gaming gods and everything.

I'm just watching to see how this whole thing goes. I've been following the comic and it's just kinda something to look at alongside XKCD every M/W/F. Got my Loathing-import Hatorade on order just in case, though.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

I do have a question for the hater crowd though - some of you really seem to *loathe* Tim Buckley for some reason and don't tell me it's just because of the miscarriage arc. I am curious to know what the guy has said and or done to incur your ire? I'm not asking from a defensive position, I genuinely am curious.
    Tim Buckley is not a nice person. It's not because his comic is bad that he has burned the bridges he had with the PA crowd and other webcomic people (who originally helped him, I think Tycho and Gabe even wrote a foreword for the first CAD printed volume).

A good example of how awful Tim is, without going into the sordid details of the Jackie Incident or how he allegedly gave a black eye to a girl who asked him to take out the trash while he was playing, or into stories that might just be a case of different people with identical names like the Great Steak Robbery, is his dual standard attitude wrt. art. How does Tim feel about stealing character design from artists randomly found through Google Image Search? Great! How does he feel about fan projects? Not that great.

Lookit how douchey he is. This is fan "art" by Marcis Liepa. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how Tim Buckley treats his devoted fans.

We could also talk about his treatment of race. 1-2-3-4 versions of the same strip.

No, he's a Jesus D-Pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    The Church of Gaming concept existed earlier in the comic; I think it developed during a Winter-een-mas. There was a pantheon of gaming gods and everything.

I'm just watching to see how this whole thing goes. I've been following the comic and it's just kinda something to look at alongside XKCD every M/W/F. Got my Loathing-import Hatorade on order just in case, though.
    Oh I know it existed earlier, but there was no actual physical church. Basically, it was just ethan being very strange and spewing out tons of "biblical" sounding game analogies while dressed as a bishop.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I didn't even realize the strip was supposed to end because I irregularly read the comic...
    Uhm... I never fel that strong about CAD in either direction so I guess I should just shut up but as always when people really, really hate something so much I have to wonder... why do you even care? If he's a bad person, well he is. Ignore him. Hating him won't make any die-hard fans buy his books or whatever and usually it's only them who buy things from a comic (I guess)
    So if he writes crappy story lines and makes kill pony jokes and other stupid violence related comics... (which I also don't really like... to be honest by now I mostly read CAD out of habit instead interest when I do so)
    Sure, you can't always ignore bad people but on the internet just treat him like any other troll.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Tim Buckley is not a nice person. It's not because his comic is bad that he has burned the bridges he had with the PA crowd and other webcomic people (who originally helped him, I think Tycho and Gabe even wrote a foreword for the first CAD printed volume).

A good example of how awful Tim is, without going into the sordid details of the Jackie Incident or how he allegedly gave a black eye to a girl who asked him to take out the trash while he was playing, or into stories that might just be a case of different people with identical names like the Great Steak Robbery, is his dual standard attitude wrt. art. How does Tim feel about stealing character design from artists randomly found through Google Image Search? Great! How does he feel about fan projects? Not that great.

Lookit how douchey he is. This is fan "art" by Marcis Liepa. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how Tim Buckley treats his devoted fans.

We could also talk about his treatment of race. 1-2-3-4 versions of the same strip.
    Hmmm.

A large amount of that seems circumstantial and as for the charity theft stuff, I'd like solid proof before I start chugging the hateorade. The extremely distasteful racism, the image theft and the less than friendly warning...that does move him much closer to [ADJECTIVE DELETED] territory. Consider your warning shot across my bows acknowledged.

You know, I'd really hate to be a webcomic author. People digging up stuff about you, whining every time a strip is delayed by a few nanoseconds, snarkers, critics, haters and on top of all that no guarantee that your comic will even be successful.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, I like this ending more. It's not perfect but Ethan's actions still eventually bite him on the ass (which is fine with me) but at least some of the more blameless characters like Lucas and Kate get a happy ending.

After all, he couldn't have taken a dump in *all* of your breakfast bowls, so I'm guessing it's something else.
    Yeah, Buckley is apparently an awful, horrible excuse for a human being. His comic is better than he is, but it's not better enough to excuse his personal character, so in the absence of being able to insult the creator personally, the comic takes the brunt of the flames.

And yeah, the Church of Gaming has been a seasonal subplot for years - it was never a physical location, but it existed.

24. - Top - End - #84

Hmmm.

A large amount of that seems circumstantial and as for the charity theft stuff, I'd like solid proof before I start chugging the hateorade. The extremely distasteful racism, the image theft and the less than friendly warning...that does move him much closer to [ADJECTIVE DELETED] territory. Consider your warning shot across my bows acknowledged.

You know, I'd really hate to be a webcomic author. People digging up stuff about you, whining every time a strip is delayed by a few nanoseconds, snarkers, critics, haters and on top of all that no guarantee that your comic will even be successful.
    Honestly, the first joke was the only racist one in there. You can tell by the fact that you could remove the word black from the next two tries and the punchline has the exact same meaning, as evidenced by the 4th attempt. And even then, it was less racist as in lets go get white hoods and cheer with buckley, and more stereotypical. The joke would have worked the same if zeke had been in a woman suit instead. "Yeah because a quiet woman isnt unusual at all" Not really trying to defend him, it was a really dumb move period, but I dunno, it just didnt seem really all that offensive to me personally. Just stupid.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    why do you even care?
    Because it's funny to point and laugh at people making buffoons of themselves in public? I mean, I could get upset at Buckley's caustic attitude to people he interacts with. Or I could be upset that Buckley makes enough to live off a comic while more deserving/harder working people make next to nothing on their comics.

But that's life. So instead, I like to laugh at how inept at writing/drawing/being a functional human he is. And people make really funny modifications to his comic. It's sorta the same sorta thing with Mookie.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-11-27 at 11:53 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, I now feel like a bad person for enjoying Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    Don't feel bad Succubus. I enjoyed the comic as well, and was able to thouroughly enjoy the humorous tone used through the whole thing.

And to those who didn't like the comic: you didn't have to keep reading it.

And you won't have to read the new one either.

How nice of the internet to give you somewhere to pee on someone else's cornflakes.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    And to those who didn't like the comic: you didn't have to keep reading it. And you won't have to read the new one either.
    How nice of the internet to give you somewhere to pee on someone else's cornflakes.
    Isn't it though? You are free to enjoy the comic. Those who hate the comic/don't care are free to stop reading it. And those who like to mock it and people who read it will continue to do so. It's a win/win/win.

And I'm not intentionally pissing on someone's cornflakes, I'm just finding enjoyment out of what the comic gives me. For those who don't like my comments, you don't have to keep reading them.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-11-27 at 12:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, the pee was already there.

29. - Top - End - #89

My main hatred of flamers and haters is drawn more from my experiences in fanfiction. I have seen far too many really good writers just freaking quit after getting a sudden burst of random anonymous flames. They usually dont even make sense, or are something stupid like, "Omg, I hate this pairing and by extension any story that has it!" Uh, then why are you reading the story clearly marked with that pairing listed? But this explosion of bile just wrecks them because they put alot of themselves into their work and it frigging HURTS to have people tear it down. It can even drown out the millions of other positive comments. Hell, look at what happened to the QC guy. He got hit with some really REALLY stupid flamer, and because it hit him at the wrong time, he nearly quit the comic and crippled himself over it.

Obviously I dont think buckley is in much danger of this. He, like mookie, has been ignoring it for over a decade now, I doubt anyone here is going to hurt his feelings or make him feel bad about himself.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    And to those who didn't like the comic: you didn't have to keep reading it.

And you won't have to read the new one either.

I find it more enjoyable to mock the comic than to read it, and laugh more at edits than at Buckley's own ham-handed approach to jokes (lol violence/O SO WHACKY AMIRITE). Just as there's no right way to appreciate art, there's no right way to laugh at (or read, or criticize, etc) a comic. Like Rhapsh said, we're not intentionally ****ting in your cheerios - it's just that our methods of deriving enjoyment from CAD are different.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star