New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A Book a Day, to Keep Autumn Away...

So I've been a huge fan of books, mostly fiction in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi genres, but I'll read just about anything. University tends to eat up a lot of my time, and it's difficult to keep real books around as it is. So, now that I'm home for the summer, I've got a lot of reading I'd like to catch up on. Does anyone have any good suggestions for my reading list? Maybe we could do a collaborative book list or something. As a warning: I'm an incredibly fast reader, around one or two books a day, so if you have a suggestion, please let me know!

Reviews!

The Current List:
    Just some quick notes: If the book listed is the start of a series, assume I'm reading the entire series in order (i.e. don't suggest The Two Towers if you already see The Fellowship of the Ring, but The Hobbit would be an acceptable suggestion). If the book listed is already partway through a series, assume I've read the prior novels (i.e. if you see Mockingjay listed, then assume I've already read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire). If a book on the list is just outright terrible, let me know...

I'll be adding more over the course of the night, but for now... have at it!
    Last edited by Neftren; 2012-08-15 at 12:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Book a Day, to Keep the Autumn Away...

Science Fiction

Michael Chricton: Prey; Jurassic World; Pirate Latitudes
    Stephen King: Under the Dome; Duma Key; The Gunslinger
    S.M. Stirling: The Island in the Sea of Time; Dies the Fire
    James Patterson: When the Wind Blows

Non-Fiction

John Elder Robinson: look me in the eye

I'll add to this list as I remember or find more stuff.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Brandon Sanderson is in my opinion, the best author I have ever read. I highly recommend that you read everything by him, but for specific recommendations:

Fantasy:
    Brandon Sanderson: The 3 4 books of the Mistborn Trilogy Series, and The Way of Kings, the first book in The Stormlight Archive.

I would also recommend some scifi:

John Ringo: The Looking Glass Series, which is just pure hilarious Scifi adventure.
    David Weber: The Starfire series for some Space warfare, and The Safehold series for Naval warfare (Yes, sailing boats, yet still scifi. Trust me, it's awesome.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

For those of you wondering why I'm not just doing a Good Reads list, as Volatar pointed out to me on Steam, it's for a number of reasons, which I'll keep private for now, but I have good reasons! Anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Science Fiction

Michael Chricton: Prey; Jurassic World; Pirate Latitudes
    Stephen King: Under the Dome; Duma Key; The Gunslinger
    S.M. Stirling: The Island in the Sea of Time; Dies the Fire
    James Patterson: When the Wind Blows

Non-Fiction

John Elder Robinson: look me in the eye

I'll add to this list as I remember or find more stuff.
    Ooh, Michael Crichton. I've read a bunch of his stuff. Some of it was pretty creepy, but I liked most of what I read (just stuff I pulled off my brother's bookshelf though, so only one or two books). Wait, is "Prey" the one about the nanites becoming self-aware and assimilating everyone...? I think I might have read that. I couldn't seem to find a listing for Jurassic World (did you mean The Lost World?), but I've added Pirate Latitudes.

I've added all the Stephen King books, and the Robison book, and hopefully the library will have them!

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Brandon Sanderson is in my opinion, the best author I have ever read. I highly recommend that you read everything by him, but for specific recommendations:

Fantasy:
    Brandon Sanderson: The 3 4 books of the Mistborn Trilogy Series, and The Way of Kings, the first book in The Stormlight Archive.

I would also recommend some scifi:

John Ringo: The Looking Glass Series, which is just pure hilarious Scifi adventure.
    David Weber: The Starfire series for some Space warfare, and The Safehold series for Naval warfare (Yes, sailing boats, yet still scifi. Trust me, it's awesome.)
    Added the Sanderson books. "Into the Looking Glass" (Ringo) looks oddly familiar. I might have seen it before at the library. Or maybe it's the cover... reminds me vaguely of Starship Troopers. I had some trouble tracking down the David Weber books (well, which books were the first in the series), but they're on the list now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Ooh, Michael Crichton. I've read a bunch of his stuff. Some of it was pretty creepy, but I liked most of what I read (just stuff I pulled off my brother's bookshelf though, so only one or two books). Wait, is "Prey" the one about the nanites becoming self-aware and assimilating everyone...? I think I might have read that. I couldn't seem to find a listing for Jurassic World (did you mean The Lost World?), but I've added Pirate Latitudes.

I've added all the Stephen King books, and the Robison book, and hopefully the library will have them!
    Yes, Prey is about the nanites. In that case, there's no point. And I was serious with Jurassic World. It's a two-book compilation for Jurassic Park and The Lost World, with a couple of chapters written to bridge the two novels. The end result is a monster of a hardcover.

You'll burn through The Gunslinger in an afternoon, but Under the Dome will take you maybe two or three days. It's huge. You might want to buy an onion for when you read Duma Key, however. You don't want people to go around thinking those tears are real.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well I don't know if you've read them but The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are pretty great, the first in the series being Storm Front and the most recent Ghost Story, there are 13 books so it is a bit of an investment but well worth it, and they are all really easy reads.

Otherwise I'd recommend pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman, with American Gods at the top of the list.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Basically all of Discworld, by Terry Pratchett. Maybe give the first five books or so a miss because they're rather less good, but still. Wonderful series.

Besides that... Bartimaeus trilogy, starting with the Amulet of Samarkand. By Jonathan Stroud. Again, very nice urban fantasy series.

Lastly, if you like Victorian era, highly atypical fantasy, I suggest Jonathan Stroud & Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. Slow to start, absolutely massive, but my all-time favourite book. Excellent cast of characters, too, even if you will probably end up hating most of them. In any case, even more than the others, I can't possibly recommend this one enough.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I've added a new status section to indicate which books are on hold, unavailable at my local library, etc. I might read some of them as eBooks, as Volatar pointed out.

Yes, Prey is about the nanites. In that case, there's no point. And I was serious with Jurassic World. It's a two-book compilation for Jurassic Park and The Lost World, with a couple of chapters written to bridge the two novels. The end result is a monster of a hardcover.

You'll burn through The Gunslinger in an afternoon, but Under the Dome will take you maybe two or three days. It's huge. You might want to buy an onion for when you read Duma Key, however. You don't want people to go around thinking those tears are real.
    Ah, I'll try to find the Jurassic World. If it's just two books combined, which one should I read first (assuming my library even has it).

The Gunslinger looks to be part of a series, so that should keep me going pretty well too. Depends on library availability mostly at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    Well I don't know if you've read them but The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are pretty great, the first in the series being Storm Front and the most recent Ghost Story, there are 13 books so it is a bit of an investment but well worth it, and they are all really easy reads.

Otherwise I'd recommend pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman, with American Gods at the top of the list.
    The titles sounds familiar. I'll put those on the queue, and if it turns out I've already read them, no harm done.

I've read some of Gaiman's other stuff with varying results. Angels and Demons (in collaboration with Pratchett... see below I suppose).

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Basically all of Discworld, by Terry Pratchett. Maybe give the first five books or so a miss because they're rather less good, but still. Wonderful series.

Besides that... Bartimaeus trilogy, starting with the Amulet of Samarkand. By Jonathan Stroud. Again, very nice urban fantasy series.

Lastly, if you like Victorian era, highly atypical fantasy, I suggest Jonathan Stroud & Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. Slow to start, absolutely massive, but my all-time favourite book. Excellent cast of characters, too, even if you will probably end up hating most of them. In any case, even more than the others, I can't possibly recommend this one enough.
    I've read every single Discworld book (I was lucky enough to have Pratchett sign three of my books!!!). Probably among my favorite books of all time, though I've been rather disappointed with some of the newer books.

I think I've read the first two books in the Bartimaeus trilogy, but I'd have to go look at the covers again to be sure (my memory is mostly image based).

I'll look into the Clarke stuff.

Edit: Yes, I feel like I've read the Bartimaeus series, but I can't seem to place the plots, so it's as good a time as any to reread them! The same thing with the Susanna Clarke book (I'll venture a guess and say you meant to type Jonathan Strange, not Jonathan Stroud, who authored the Bartimaeus stuff ).
    Last edited by Neftren; 2012-05-27 at 11:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, I'll try to find the Jurassic World. If it's just two books combined, which one should I read first (assuming my library even has it).

The Gunslinger looks to be part of a series, so that should keep me going pretty well too. Depends on library availability mostly at this point.
    Jurassic Park is the first book, followed by The Lost World. The Gunslinger is the first in Stephen King's colossal Dark Tower (pun) series, but the first book is short enough for anyone to learn what it is before deciding to delve further into it. It's a merged canon of all of King's other works, so a couple of other character from previous books appear due to universe-warping and whatnot. Even (white-text spoiler) King himself appears at one point.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Book a Day, to Keep Autumn Away...

Kovacs Triogy (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies) by Richard K. Morgan. Cyberpunk/neo-noir SF with a great narrative. One of the best series I've read.

Night Watch series (Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, Last Watch) by Sergei Lukyanenko. Modern fantasy by a Russian author. It's translated, but the English translation is pretty good. The first book was adapted into two movies a coupla years ago, you might have caught it (Night Watch / Day Watch).

The Witcher series (The Last Wish is a collection of short stories, The Blood of Elves is the start of a longer trilogy) by Andrzej Sapkowski. Fairly dark fantasy series by a Polish author. Again, the English translation isn't bad. Adapted into a videogame series.

If you like SF, you've probably read the Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Age of the Five (trilogy starts with Priestess of the White) by Trudi Canavan. Straightforward fantasy series with an above-average narrative.

The Nomad of the Time Streams trilogy (starts with Warlord of the Air) by Michael Moorcock. Timetravelling steampunk SF. Moorcock is a great author.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Little Fuzzy, by H. Beam Piper
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It's dangerous out there; take a map.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Try the first book in David Drake's RCN series. With The lightnings. I'm pretty sure the ebook is available free from the publisher.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I finished Pathfinder, by Orson Scott Card, today. Pretty interesting premise, though the whole time manipulation thing has my head spinning with all the crazy paradoxes.

If you guys are interested, I can probably do full reviews of every book I read. Just a little project I've been considering on the side I suppose.

Jurassic Park is the first book, followed by The Lost World. The Gunslinger is the first in Stephen King's colossal Dark Tower (pun) series, but the first book is short enough for anyone to learn what it is before deciding to delve further into it. It's a merged canon of all of King's other works, so a couple of other character from previous books appear due to universe-warping and whatnot. Even (white-text spoiler) King himself appears at one point.
    Well, Gunslinger is on hold. I can't seem to find copies of Jurassic Park at my local library, but maybe one of the local universities will have it. Stephen King has so many books out there... I suppose it's tough to keep every single one of his books in a single library system.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Kovacs Triogy (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies) by Richard K. Morgan. Cyberpunk/neo-noir SF with a great narrative. One of the best series I've read.
    Oh many, Altered Carbon has such a fascinating synopsis. I absolutely cannot wait to read this. Added to the list. Fingers crossed that my library has it!

Night Watch series (Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, Last Watch) by Sergei Lukyanenko. Modern fantasy by a Russian author. It's translated, but the English translation is pretty good. The first book was adapted into two movies a coupla years ago, you might have caught it (Night Watch / Day Watch).
    Before I add this to the list, are there multiple translations, like with many other Russian -> English novels? If so, which one is best?

The Witcher series (The Last Wish is a collection of short stories, The Blood of Elves is the start of a longer trilogy) by Andrzej Sapkowski. Fairly dark fantasy series by a Polish author. Again, the English translation isn't bad. Adapted into a videogame series.
    I've played the games. I tried tracking down the books a few years ago, but I wasn't able to locate any copies at the time. How similar are they compared to the games?

If you like SF, you've probably read the Dune series by Frank Herbert.
    Yep. Dune was awesome.

Age of the Five (trilogy starts with Priestess of the White) by Trudi Canavan. Straightforward fantasy series with an above-average narrative.
    I've added this to the list.

The Nomad of the Time Streams trilogy (starts with Warlord of the Air) by Michael Moorcock. Timetravelling steampunk SF. Moorcock is a great author.
    An older book... interesting. This looks promising. Also on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Little Fuzzy, by H. Beam Piper
    Added.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    This is rather immense. As much as I love flowcharts, I really don't have any strong preference towards either Fantasy or SciFi, hence the request for suggestions. It's a rather expansive list though, thanks! I'll keep it bookmarked.

I should probably take the time to establish this (to everybody)... I don't necessarily have to read fiction or scifi. If you know a really good book, feel free to pipe up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Try the first book in David Drake's RCN series. With The lightnings. I'm pretty sure the ebook is available free from the publisher.
    Hmm, the publisher site seems to be selling the eBook versions. Do you have a link to a download? Pardon me. My Google Fu is weak today.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

That map says that Mistborn is a finished series. This is (to my utter delight) horribly wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    That map says that Mistborn is a finished series. This is (to my utter delight) horribly wrong.
    Well, at least the first Mistborn trilogy is self-contained. If I'm reading it correctly, it also lists Wheel of Time as a finished series, which is hilarious. I also disagree with its placement of The Name of the Wind (which I'm glad to see is already on the to-read list!) as being similar to Harry Potter with the main draw being 'a precocious lad at a school of magic'. Just . . . not even close.

Still, I do love me a good flowchart, and as long as I also am looking for more good fantasy to read over the summer, I believe I'll make use of it.
    Last edited by Helanna; 2012-05-28 at 10:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Added.
    Cool. Might also try some shorter works by him. Paratime stories novel or otherwise were particularly fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Oh many, Altered Carbon has such a fascinating synopsis. I absolutely cannot wait to read this. Added to the list. Fingers crossed that my library has it!
    Yeah, the book's body-swapping tech is quite unique. The books are rather dark, so be warned, but the setting itself is so damn intriguing.

Before I add this to the list, are there multiple translations, like with many other Russian -> English novels? If so, which one is best?
    As far as I'm aware, all four books were translated by one person, Andrew Bromfield. If you find an English version, it'll be his.

I've played the games. I tried tracking down the books a few years ago, but I wasn't able to locate any copies at the time. How similar are they compared to the games?
    Yeah, they're very similar. You'll recognise the characters and setting, and the games capture the sort of sarcastic cynicism of the novels very well. With bits of humour in the most surprising places. One thing that is different is the protagonist, Geralt himself. The books are set before the games, so he still has all his memories.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

This is rather immense. As much as I love flowcharts, I really don't have any strong preference towards either Fantasy or SciFi, hence the request for suggestions. It's a rather expansive list though, thanks! I'll keep it bookmarked.

I should probably take the time to establish this (to everybody)... I don't necessarily have to read fiction or scifi. If you know a really good book, feel free to pipe up!
    Off that list, I'd specifically suggest Hyperion by Dan Simmons and The Mote in God's Eye Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. And, sorry, I read the OP as "suggest sci-fi and fantasy fiction to me." The Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler are my favorite genre novel "series", though since there isn't really any continuity between them, it doesn't matter what order you read them in. The first one chronologically, The Big Sleep, is my favorite. But that's just, like, my opinion.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

"Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel- Booker prize winner and awsome book about Thomas Cromwell
    "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon.
    "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke

All bloody brilliant books!
    Last edited by Megatron46; 2012-05-29 at 08:01 AM.
    Games I'm DMing
    Spoiler: A Depthless Sorrow- A Dungeon World Campaign
    Show

Games I'm playing

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Fantasy

David Gemmell Drenai Series, Rigante series and Stones of Power
    among the best series of books I´ve ever read

Raymond E. Feist Riftwar Saga

Science Fiction

E. E. Knight Vampire Earth
    the ending was a huge letdown but the series was entertaining ^^

Michael A. Stackpole Blood of Kerensky Trilogy and Warrior Trilogy
    ie his battletech novels
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-05-29 at 10:30 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Just a note regarding the David Weber Books: some of his stuff(as well as works by other authors) can be found for Free on Baen's website, in the Free library section.

I'll suggest Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline. Basically a love letter to the 1980's, and nerd/videogame culture in general.

Also, Abarat, by Clive Barker, is a good series. If you want to read it, you really need the paper editions, though, because the art is what truly sells it, at least for me.

Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny is also really good. Sci-fi mixed with Hinduism, Buddhism, and Christianity. His other works, such as the Amber series I've also found enjoyable. Note that the link to the series is to the compilation book.

Also, have you read anything by Jim Butcher?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Dresden Files and Codex Alera have already been suggested (I think) else I would have suggested both myself

/edit actually Codex Alera seems not to have been suggested so

Fantasy

Jim Butcher Codex Alera
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-05-29 at 11:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Cool. Might also try some shorter works by him. Paratime stories novel or otherwise were particularly fun.
    Hmm. Yeah I'm mostly limited by my library's availability. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask if they could order it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Yeah, the book's body-swapping tech is quite unique. The books are rather dark, so be warned, but the setting itself is so damn intriguing.

As far as I'm aware, all four books were translated by one person, Andrew Bromfield. If you find an English version, it'll be his.

Yeah, they're very similar. You'll recognise the characters and setting, and the games capture the sort of sarcastic cynicism of the novels very well. With bits of humour in the most surprising places. One thing that is different is the protagonist, Geralt himself. The books are set before the games, so he still has all his memories.
    Hmm, I think I'll skip the Witcher then. My local library system didn't have the Night Watch series, but I've sent a note to a University library asking if they have it.

Off that list, I'd specifically suggest Hyperion by Dan Simmons and The Mote in God's Eye Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. And, sorry, I read the OP as "suggest sci-fi and fantasy fiction to me." The Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler are my favorite genre novel "series", though since there isn't really any continuity between them, it doesn't matter what order you read them in. The first one chronologically, The Big Sleep, is my favorite. But that's just, like, my opinion.
    I've added Hyperion and Mote.

I'll check my library for which books from Chandler are available, and read their jacket covers I suppose, then I'll add those to the list. By chronologically, and "isn't really any continuity" I take it you mean in order of publication?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron46 View Post
    "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel- Booker prize winner and awsome book about Thomas Cromwell
    "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon.
    "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke

All bloody brilliant books!
    Jonathan Strange was suggested by someone else I think, and should be on the list... let me go check... yup.

I cannot seem to locate a copy of Kavalier and Clay in any local library system (I had this problem with Watchmen as well, and Maus). I'll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Fantasy

David Gemmell Drenai Series, Rigante series and Stones of Power
    among the best series of books I´ve ever read

Raymond E. Feist Riftwar Saga

Science Fiction

E. E. Knight Vampire Earth
    the ending was a huge letdown but the series was entertaining ^^

Michael A. Stackpole Blood of Kerensky Trilogy and Warrior Trilogy
    ie his battletech novels
    I've added Legend (Drenai series?) to the list, and the Rigante series as well. Stones of Power starts with which book... Ghost King? Wikipedia seems to list the series as part of a greater series (I suppose it'd be called a subseries at that point).

Okay, so, before we even get into the subject of vampires... in Vampire Earth, are we talking about the murderous, bloodsucking bat-peoples, or are we talking about swooning-with-love Twilight vampires? Absolutely nothing against Twilight vampires at all (absolutely nothing against the book either; I haven't read it, I can't judge, and if that many people are head over heels for it... she has to have done something right... maybe...).

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Just a note regarding the David Weber Books: some of his stuff(as well as works by other authors) can be found for Free on Baen's website, in the Free library section.
    Ooh, I'll check this out. I do prefer a physical book whenever possible though.

I'll suggest Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline. Basically a love letter to the 1980's, and nerd/videogame culture in general.
    This looks interesting. I've added it to the list. Hopefully my library has this.

Also, Abarat, by Clive Barker, is a good series. If you want to read it, you really need the paper editions, though, because the art is what truly sells it, at least for me.
    I've read all of Abarat, and yeah, the paper illustrations make it awesome.

Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny is also really good. Sci-fi mixed with Hinduism, Buddhism, and Christianity. His other works, such as the Amber series I've also found enjoyable. Note that the link to the series is to the compilation book.

I'll try to look into these. Some quick searching in the local library yielded no results.

Jim Butcher is on the list multiple times I think now.

Dresden Files and Codex Alera have already been suggested (I think) else I would have suggested both myself

/edit actually Codex Alera seems not to have been suggested so

Fantasy

Jim Butcher Codex Alera
    Bam! Added. That was easy.

Good news on the library front. Three books are ready for pickup at my library. I'll pick them up tomorrow, and then I can reserve three more!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I've added Hyperion and Mote.

I'll check my library for which books from Chandler are available, and read their jacket covers I suppose, then I'll add those to the list. By chronologically, and "isn't really any continuity" I take it you mean in order of publication?
    Yeah, chronologically. There is some continuity (like Marlowe's romance with Linda Loring), it's just that I don't think Chandler really expects you to have read the other books, so they all stand alone pretty neatly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. Yeah I'm mostly limited by my library's availability. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask if they could order it.
    A chunk of his books are in the public domain.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Shannara series, by Terry Brooks.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I've added Legend (Drenai series?) to the list, and the Rigante series as well. Stones of Power starts with which book... Ghost King? Wikipedia seems to list the series as part of a greater series (I suppose it'd be called a subseries at that point).
    Yep, legend is the first book of the drenai series.
    You can start the stones of power series either with Ghost King or with Wolf in Shadows (the other subseries).

Okay, so, before we even get into the subject of vampires... in Vampire Earth, are we talking about the murderous, bloodsucking bat-peoples, or are we talking about swooning-with-love Twilight vampires? Absolutely nothing against Twilight vampires at all (absolutely nothing against the book either; I haven't read it, I can't judge, and if that many people are head over heels for it... she has to have done something right... maybe...).
    Actually the title of the book is misleading
    It is about aliens having conquered the world and the resistance of one small part of the us against them.
    The "vampires" are genetically engineered killing/harvest machines that suck life energy out of people to transfer it to the aliens, humans in the books only call them vampires because they are very close to those mythical creatures ^^

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, the publisher site seems to be selling the eBook versions. Do you have a link to a download? Pardon me. My Google Fu is weak today.

Here's links to the first 3 books (The only ones that are part of the Free Library.)

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-469-with...ightnings.aspx
    http://www.baenebooks.com/p-258-lt-l...ommanding.aspx
    http://www.baenebooks.com/p-140-the-...the-stars.aspx

Despite showing a price, the books are actually free. Baen regularly makes the older portions of it's library away for free both to encourage readers to obtain the rest of a series, and as a snub to DRM advocates. You can verify this by looking in the lower right-hand portion of the product page, where you will see something along the lines of:

Published 7/1/2000
    SKU: 0671578863
    Ebook Price: $4.00
    Baen Free Library Book

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, chronologically. There is some continuity (like Marlowe's romance with Linda Loring), it's just that I don't think Chandler really expects you to have read the other books, so they all stand alone pretty neatly.
    Hmm, interesting. Alright I'll try to track down these books.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    The Shannara series, by Terry Brooks.
    So just looking at Wikipedia... where do I start? There are so many books... I guess when looking at large series, there's always the Narnia or Discworld Dilemma (hey that rolls off the tongue rather nicely!). Would it make more sense to read chronologically, or in order of publication?

Yep, legend is the first book of the drenai series.
    You can start the stones of power series either with Ghost King or with Wolf in Shadows (the other subseries).
    Okay, I suppose I'll just add both to the library holds system and read them in the order they come in.

Actually the title of the book is misleading
    It is about aliens having conquered the world and the resistance of one small part of the us against them.
    The "vampires" are genetically engineered killing/harvest machines that suck life energy out of people to transfer it to the aliens, humans in the books only call them vampires because they are very close to those mythical creatures ^^
    This sounds oddly familiar... was it made into a movie at some point? Either way, it sounds totally awesome. I'll go track down a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Here's links to the first 3 books (The only ones that are part of the Free Library.)

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-469-with...ightnings.aspx
    http://www.baenebooks.com/p-258-lt-l...ommanding.aspx
    http://www.baenebooks.com/p-140-the-...the-stars.aspx

Despite showing a price, the books are actually free. Baen regularly makes the older portions of it's library away for free both to encourage readers to obtain the rest of a series, and as a snub to DRM advocates. You can verify this by looking in the lower right-hand portion of the product page, where you will see something along the lines of:
    Ooh, sweet! I'll probably read these when I'm between library books.

I finished Fallen yesterday. At first glance it seemed like a book for young teenage girls, but I found it oddly riveting. It raised some rather interesting questions about reform schools and friendship. I'm probably being too vague at this point, but I'd be giving away the rest of the book otherwise. It's quite good. I'd definitely recommend it to you guys.

Need to Add... (note to self)
    - Stones of Power
    - Philip Marlowe
    - Vampire Earth

Edit: Just finished Across the Universe. It was not that great. Not the worst I've read, but it wasn't great either. I'll have more on this book tomorrow probably.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2012-05-31 at 09:41 PM.