New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Marvel Cinematic Universe at Comic Con (SDCC 2019)

So what was announced at this event? So far I heard I am getting.

1) Thor 4
    2) More adventures of 'Lieutenant Trouble'
    3) Possibly a return of Trevor Slattery? ... Aka you know the "You'll Never See Me Coming" guy?

What else was announced?

5 movies in 2020 and 2021, and 5 Disney Plus stuff.

For 2020: Black Widow and The Eternals
    For 2021: Shang-Chi: Legend of the Ten Rings (aka the real Mandarin), Doctor Strange 2: Mysteries of Madness, Thor 4: Love and Thunder

For Disney Plus: The Falcon and Winter Soldier, Wandavision, Loki, What If, and Hawkeye (we are seeing both Kate Bishop Hawkeye and Jeremy Renner's MCU Hawkeye in this Disney Plus series.) To my understanding only Hawkeye is the only new thing with Disney Plus announced.

And Later on we get Blade and Fantastic Four.

-----

Anything else I missed that was important MCU fans? I am one of you but I am not super into the MCU as much as other people
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-07-21 at 12:48 AM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe at Comic Con (SDCC 2019)

Thanks for the rundown, this is all good to know.

Do we know if Chris Hemsworth is still Thor, or is that being passed to another actor? And will it be Asgardians of the Galaxy, or Thor on his own?

Also, who's Lieutenant Trouble? I feel like I should know this, but the little grey cells are not turning over.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Thanks for the rundown, this is all good to know.

Do we know if Chris Hemsworth is still Thor, or is that being passed to another actor? And will it be Asgardians of the Galaxy, or Thor on his own?

Also, who's Lieutenant Trouble? I feel like I should know this, but the little grey cells are not turning over.
    Spoiler: Thor 4
    Show

Thor 4: Love And Thunder will feature Natalie Portman returning as Jane Foster to become the new Thor. So it's being passed to another actress.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Are you kidding, or serious? I really can't tell.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Are you kidding, or serious? I really can't tell.
    From what I heard, this is completely serious, yes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Monica Rambeau in the MCU. She was a child in Captain Marvel, but should be in her 30's at least in the MCU present.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler: Thor 4
    Show

Thor 4: Love And Thunder will feature Natalie Portman returning as Jane Foster to become the new Thor. So it's being passed to another actress.
    Which is really surprising given that Portman has been generally portrayed as being pretty unenthusiastic at best to being in the Thor franchise or Marvel in general. Still, Thor 4 is going to be Taika Waititi yet again so I'm looking forward to it regardless.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-07-20 at 10:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Dead serious. She walked on stage to join Waititi holding Mjolnir and everything, so either it's real or the most elaborate pump-fake troll move the MCU has ever done.

From what I understand, Portman didn't try to re-up her contract after Thor 2 because the franchise wasn't giving her anything noteworthy (plus some apparently behind the scenes beef regarding Patty Jenkins). She spent Thor 1 as a bit part love interest, and most of Thor 2 in a coma. Now she's returning as a franchise-headliner role, so I can see her being willing to do so.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Lieutenant Trouble (Monica Rambeau) was the young girl in the 1990s Captain Marvel that was the Daughter of Carol Danvers Best Friend, Maria Rambeau. While Carol called Monica 'Lieutenant Trouble', Monica called Carol's Captain Marvel character 'Auntie Carol.'

(Mother and Daughter images.)

Well Monica Rambeau is in the comics as Captain Marvel, but also under names Photon / Pulsar / Spectrum and also has electromagnetic / light powers that are obscene in the power level for Marvel.

Well Teyonah Parris is going to play a grown up version of Monica in Wandavision. Remember Captain Marvel took place in 1995, and Monica was around a preteen (lets say 11) and thus she would be in her 30s come the 2015 to 2018 that Vision was alive.

9. - Top - End - #9

Given Taika's sense of humor, most elaborate pump-fake troll move is a distinct possibility.

Of course, this is also Marvel, who outright lied a few SDCCs ago about the forthcoming Captain America movie being Serpent Society.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kitten Champion
    Which is really surprising given that Portman has been generally portrayed as being pretty unenthusiastic at best to being in the Thor franchise or Marvel in general….
    Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    From what I understand, Portman didn't try to re-up her contract after Thor 2 because the franchise wasn't giving her anything noteworthy….
    I’d always wondered why she and Thor had their “breakup,” since there didn’t seem to be much in-universe discussion of her absence, other than a couple of lines in Ultron and Ragnarok.

I’m not a huge Portman fan, and she wasn’t an especially convicing physicist, so I never felt she added much to the MCU.

Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    She walked on stage to join Waititi holding Mjolnir and everything….
    This does sound like a bit of a stunt, to be honest. But I guess we’ll see.

Sigh. The Thor movies have always been big dumb fun, and I've enjoyed them for that...but I always felt they could be so much grander. If it's Waititi again, I'll be expecting more Ragnarok-style goofiness.

I suppose Heimdal won't be around for this one, which is a real letdown. Also the Warriors Three, whose collective passing Thor's never even mentioned, as far as I can recall.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

This does sound like a bit of a stunt, to be honest. But I guess we’ll see.
    Comic-Con is always a bit of a stunt.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Am I the only one that's more excited by the TV offerings? Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, and Hawkeye all sound awesome, and a What If series has a lot of potential.

For the movies, the only one I really care about is Doctor Strange 2.

...Damnit, I'm gonna have to subscribe to Disney+, aren't I?

13. - Top - End - #13

Waititi and Hemsworth really are a perfect pair in temperament - Hemsworth delights when he gets to be a goofball, and Waititi's directing style provides maximum opportunities for that. So if Love and Thunder pulls similar numbers to Ragnarok, I think this is the Thor we'll be seeing for the forseeable future.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, interesting. Don't know the first thing about The Eternals or Shang-Chi, but hey, Marvel made the Guardians of the Galaxy into a hit, so why not? We'll see whether Marvel can make these into big hits too.

I am curious about Thor 4 though, in that it's coming out before Guardians 3, but we saw Thor going off with the Guardians at the end of Endgame. So, that's a bit odd and I'm not sure how they'll explain it. But still, Ragnarok is one of my absolute favorite Marvel films, alongside the Guardians movies, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting another Thor film from the same director. Was a touch concerned about the return of Jane, but if she's going to be getting to take up the hammer and become a hero in her own right, I think I'm on board with that. Definitely preferable to the rather dull love interest role she had in the first two films. Also happy to hear that Valkyrie will be back in it, liked her quite a bit.

Definitely interested in Doctor Strange too - and apparently it confirms that there will be a multiverse to these movies, given the title, despite the fake-out with Spider Man. Not a bad idea to at least start with that being a Doctor Strange thing, let him be the one to handle the craziness that that can lead to for now, since crazy stuff is kind of his bag, until it become relevant to an Avengers plotline somewhere down the line.

Not so interested in the Black Widow film, but good to know it's a prequel, rather than them coming up with some excuse to resurrect her despite seeming to go out of their way to indicate that was impossible in Endgame. Also not interested in the shows, because I'm not touching Disney+ with a ten foot pole.

All in all, cool, nice to know what Marvel films I've got to look forward to for the next couple of years.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Am I the only one hyped for a Blade remake? Wesley Snipes is a badass Blade and all, but I'm interested to see what MCU's take on an already well received (?) comic book movie IP is.

It might also open up the avenue for R rated MCU, which could very well lead to an R18 Deadpool
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Am I the only one hyped for a Blade remake? Wesley Snipes is a badass Blade and all, but I'm interested to see what MCU's take on an already well received (?) comic book movie IP is.

No you are not the only one excited / hyped for a Blade remake. When I heard the news my brain did a mental blade-fistpump-gif from Blade 1.

Yet I am trying to restrain my excitement / hype for I do not want to get disappointed again like I was for Blade Trinity and the Blade TV show (2006) on Spike. I have faith they can do Blade right, but until the final product is delivered I am trying to keep my excitement set on simmer for my own sake, and the love I have for the franchise.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I am curious about Thor 4 though, in that it's coming out before Guardians 3, but we saw Thor going off with the Guardians at the end of Endgame. So, that's a bit odd and I'm not sure how they'll explain it. But still, Ragnarok is one of my absolute favorite Marvel films, alongside the Guardians movies, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting another Thor film from the same director. Was a touch concerned about the return of Jane, but if she's going to be getting to take up the hammer and become a hero in her own right, I think I'm on board with that. Definitely preferable to the rather dull love interest role she had in the first two films. Also happy to hear that Valkyrie will be back in it, liked her quite a bit.
    Easiest explanation is that, like in the comics, Thor is playing the part of Odinson, which got set up perfectly by Endgame. (Way better than in the comics, honestly.) Maybe he shows back up after some time with the Guardians; I imagine there'll be some time elapsed after Endgame, at least. Far From Home did, for example.

Spoiler: Comics spoilers
    Show

Curious if they'll run with the "Jane has cancer" plot and shuffle her back out, which would be obnoxious. Hopefully, since the MCU seems to be perfectly happy with permanent change, they'll actually let her keep the hammer and explore this new status quo.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

The new actor for Blade seems to have the right look, I can only pray he is at least 40% less insane than snipes so there wont be as many issues.
    Spoiler: mahershala ali
    Show
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #19

Hm. Must say, the TV series mostly leave me totally cold, except Loki. Wanda and Vision I never really warmed up to. Never felt as if I got to know them, but there might be something coming out of that. And Winter Soldier, Hawk Eye and Falcon are really just not... interesting characters, if I'm honest. And it seems to me as if their series will end up as another Agent/low level hero with a gimmick fighting low-grade comic stuff weirdness story, which is a market I think is really oversaturated, between Agent Carter, Agents of Shield, the Netflix Marvel series and tons and tons of similar stuff from other companies.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The new actor for Blade seems to have the right look, I can only pray he is at least 40% less insane than snipes so there wont be as many issues.
    Spoiler: mahershala ali
    Show
    He nailed his part in the short time he was in Luke Cage, and his departure was when the first season started to be less interesting.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    He nailed his part in the short time he was in Luke Cage, and his departure was when the first season started to be less interesting.
    Ali is also great in True Detective s03 and in every film he's been in.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

Not much to say other than that I'm completely stoked. And while I know next to nothing about Shang Chi and Eternals, I'm eager to find out.

I suppose Heimdal won't be around for this one, which is a real letdown. Also the Warriors Three, whose collective passing Thor's never even mentioned, as far as I can recall.
    To be perfectly honest I'm totally fine with them being gone. We have much better side characters in Thor now (e.g. Korg) so Helya/Thanos wiping out all the chaff is a win in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post

It might also open up the avenue for R rated MCU, which could very well lead to an R18 Deadpool
    Yes to all of this, and Cottonmouth as Blade is going to be pretty fantastic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Ali is also great in True Detective s03 and in every film he's been in.
    I also loved him in House of Cards!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23

Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness is confirmed to be a Horror genre film, so prepare to get spooked by Shuma-Gorah real bad.

anyway I'm hype as **** for all of these. Hemsworth is in Thro 4, so I'm betting there'll be a passing of the torch there, and it'll relate to Guardians 3 in some way. I'm excited for Jane Foster! Thor, Portman's not a bad actress and I bet it'll be cool.

I'm glad they're going a lot harder on "let's just do crazy stuff now that the shackle of Endgame is off".

Also since it wasn't mentioned: Legend of the Ten Rings will feature the REAL Mandarin that they've been teasing off and on for years. No Latherly or whatever his name is.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-21 at 12:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Spamalot in the Playground

Wanda is also confirmed for DS2 right?

Will What If be their answer to Black Mirror?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #25

Did the female thor storyline turn out well? I remember the initial outrage and annoyance but since I dont read comics I have no idea how well it will turn out. I just wanted beta ray bill to take up the hammer.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wanda is also confirmed for DS2 right?

Will What If be their answer to Black Mirror?
    Marvel's What If... is definitely going to be like the comics where they literally just do random one off things like "what if Hulk got the Venom Symbiote".

Also yes Wanda is the secondary protagonist of Madness, so that's gonna be fun.

Did the female thor storyline turn out well? I remember the initial outrage and annoyance but since I dont read comics I have no idea how well it will turn out. I just wanted beta ray bill to take up the hammer.
    It was good as far as comics go.

Beta Ray Bill can show up too. She does need a love interest after all.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I also definitely trust Taika to do a smash-up job with the Goddess of Thunder storyline.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I also definitely trust Taika to do a smash-up job with the Goddess of Thunder storyline.
    I would trust Taika with my own god damn universe at this point, to be honest. It's so good.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Also since it wasn't mentioned: Legend of the Ten Rings will feature the REAL Mandarin that they've been teasing off and on for years. No Latherly or whatever his name is.
    Nods, for anyone who has not watched it yet, please watch the marvel 13 minute short "All Hail The King" (2013), for everyone needs more Trevor Slattery content in their lives. 😁

You can find it free on YouTube.

The real Mandarin will return!

I am not the person to ask and give a real answer to this question. But here is a detail point anyway. This Jane Foster Thor thing happened in 2014 and in the comics she has been Thor or some other Asgardian superhero since then. Aka from Marvel's point of view the comics are selling enough to not cancel or retcon the series, a fate you can not say for the dozen of other ideas in comics that do not get a complete run before they are canceled. Thus while the "Internet People" may be angry at least some people are buying enough comics in this area to make some executive happy enough to greenlight keep that stuff going instead of canceling it.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-07-21 at 01:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I assume the Eternals movie is going to be largely doing the Neil Gaiman run where he reintroduced their mythology and characters into the universe. Granted, it's the only Eternals-related story that I've read and actually know exists outside the initial run with Jack Kirby, but it also works in the context of explaining why they haven't been involved in the MCU until that point and is just pretty good generally as Gaiman's work tends to be.

It's also something they haven't done yet in the MCU, a story of seemingly ordinary people going about their lives coming to realize that they've this extraordinary history and superpowers that they've been forced to forget as these vague memories bubble up from their subconscious.