New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Dealing with Critical Fumbles

So, I'm currently playing in a really fun game, but the DM likes critical fumbles for... everything. Roll a 1 to hit, and you throw your weapon away or similar. Now, I'm a caster, so this is fine for me... enemies roll their saves, not me. But we've got a melee character rolls three d20s with every attack (shield charger, so hit + trip + knockback), which means he's liable to chuck his weapon constantly.

So, if we've got this rule, what are some good ways around it that people have used? I think there's a luck feat that lets you turn natural 1s into natural 20s, but he's low on feats. Other options?

JaronK

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dealing with Critical Fumbles

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    So, I'm currently playing in a really fun game, but the DM likes critical fumbles for... everything. Roll a 1 to hit, and you throw your weapon away or similar. Now, I'm a caster, so this is fine for me... enemies roll their saves, not me. But we've got a melee character rolls three d20s with every attack (shield charger, so hit + trip + knockback), which means he's liable to chuck his weapon constantly.

So, if we've got this rule, what are some good ways around it that people have used? I think there's a luck feat that lets you turn natural 1s into natural 20s, but he's low on feats. Other options?

JaronK
    Well, there's the ever-popular "Talk to your DM about how unfair and annoying this is," as well as the famous, "Find a better DM." Another option might be finding a way to get the weapon back to the melee guy's hands, though I'm not entirely certain how you could do so. Returning property, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Make it so you need to confirm the fumble, exactly like you need to confirm a critical hit. If you roll a 1, roll again, and if the second roll misses the target's AC, it's a critical fumble. I too hate fumble rolls, but the group I play with loves them, we've found this to be an acceptable compromise. If you need to confirm crits, you should need to confirm fumbles. Otherwise every time you gain an additional iterative attack your odds of being stupid go up way too much.
    Last edited by Carth; 2013-01-31 at 08:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Zombie

Simple solution to avoid throwing your weapon away? Assuming it's not two-handed... A cord lanyard looped around the wrist run through a lanyard hole in the handle would probably suffice, and would be dirt cheap.

Edited... That should work with a 2-handed weapon too, actually... Just loop it around one wrist.

Maybe include a slip knot so you can cinch it up.

This is what I do in real life with a couple of my bigger knives when I'm chopping stuff with them. It works.
    Last edited by Krobar; 2013-01-31 at 08:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
    Simple solution to avoid throwing your weapon away? Assuming it's not two-handed... A cord lanyard looped around the wrist run through a lanyard hole in the handle would probably suffice, and would be dirt cheap.

Edited... That should work with a 2-handed weapon too, actually... Just loop it around one wrist.

Maybe include a slip knot so you can cinch it up.
    Different option that exists in the game already - locked gauntlet(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #6

Do you use action points in your games at all? Granted, they're not a complete solution, but they might be of some help trying to negate the crit fumbles.
    Last edited by Agent 451; 2013-01-31 at 09:19 PM.
    -------------∩____∩
    <:::::[]=0-|(• ◡•)| ノ\(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

Link/Triforce and Reinhard von Lohengramm avatars by the talented Kymme!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Lightning Recovery maneuver allows you to re-roll an attack. Tough to get if you aren't a Warblade, though (prereqs are rather high).

Personally, I'm fond of illustrating how my sword flies out of my hand by chucking the PHB at the DM and screaming "IS THAT HOW IT HAPPENS, $%^&$!" By then, I've had a few, the session gets hazy, and I wind up naked in a jail cell. Ah, fun times.

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

Upgrade to Druid, it'll improve his usefulness in combat, and it's hard to throw your own hands away.*

*But not impossible, this is 3.5 after all.
    "I may be wrong, but Reddit is about reading everyone elses comment as if they are trying to attack your very soul, and then responding in a way to degrade them in some fashion." - Mangalz

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Different option that exists in the game already - locked gauntlet(s).
    I'll echo this sentiment. Have your melee character use locked gauntlets and always carry his primary weapons around with him once you leave anywhere important. That way he can't drop weapons.

It will also be a pain in the ass when he needs to switch weapons, but at least he won't be chasing them all over the battlefield.
    Last edited by Squirrel_Dude; 2013-01-31 at 09:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alienist View Post
    Upgrade to Druid, it'll improve his usefulness in combat, and it's hard to throw your own hands away.*

*But not impossible, this is 3.5 after all.
    Mind if I sig this? I just had an uncontrollable laughing fit

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

You could throw your book at the DM. "Oops, I just fumbled on opening it. Sorry about that."
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Let's assume for the moment I have no desire to chuck anything at my DM, but that his house rule is not negotiable at this time (I mentioned my displeasure, but he's otherwise a lot of fun to play with. He loves his crit fumbles, though).

I thought of the locked gauntlet, but he's going to have other penalties instead if I do that (such as hitting nearby allies and such). And he loves this character, so no rebuilds. The easiest thing would be to figure out a way to never roll 1s.

He's not a Warblade though... no dice there.

JaronK

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Planar touchstone, catalogs of enlightenment, luck domain? An amulet of second chances and mantle of second chances are also helpful.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Lessre crystal of return (MiC)?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Lessre crystal of return (MiC)?
    Seconding this. He can even upgrade this one further.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

In the game we play we always play the rule of if you roll a 1, you roll a DC10 (or 15 depending on cicumstances) Dexterity check to hold your weapon. We also play the rule of if you have reach, you drop your weapon in the 5 ft square next to the target.

E.G My fighter was using greatreach bracers to make a 5ft step and then full attack something 15ft away, I rolled 1 followed by another 1 and dropped my greataxe, I dropped it 15ft away, where the target is.
    Player of 3.5 Edition for 3/4 Years.
    Feel free to send me a message if unclear about something. Hopefully I can help you out!

17. - Top - End - #17

I think we need to hombrew a critical hit / fumble table that is acceptable for general use. People always complain about them but that's not because the're terrible. Its because the bonuses and penalties in most homebrew charts are way too powerful.

Little things like -1 to your next hit or nick yourself on your own blade for 1 damage would be workable. On the critical hit side enemies that get critted could take small penalties. Things like -1 on diplomacy until wounds heal or 5GP worth of damage to equipment.
    Last edited by MukkTB; 2013-02-01 at 07:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quickdraw, and lots of spare weapons.

Improved Unarmed Attack, for when everyone is knee-deep in the weapons you have already discarded.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by MukkTB View Post
    Things like -1 on diplomacy until wounds heal or 5GP worth of damage to equipment.
    Problem with examples you gave is that they only work against PCs.

20. - Top - End - #20

It wouldn't be hard to mix things in that penalize monsters and pcs equaly. Just pick things that have immediate repercussions.

21. - Top - End - #21

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by MukkTB View Post
    I think we need to hombrew a critical hit / fumble table that is acceptable for general use. People always complain about them but that's not because the're terrible. Its because the bonuses and penalties in most homebrew charts are way too powerful.
    No. They genuinely are bad.

Here's the problem: Level 1 fighter - 1 attack per round. Level 16 fighter - 4 attacks per round.

The higher level fighter is 4x as likely to fumble as the level 0 commoner???

Again at higher levels you get the problem that a sufficiently twinked out fighter is never going to miss, they're just going to fumble instead.

However, it doesn't mean they can't be fun, and in this case it sounds like the DM is using it as an outlet to be creative. Given that, I'd simply suggest not worrying about it. Let the DM have his fun.
    "I may be wrong, but Reddit is about reading everyone elses comment as if they are trying to attack your very soul, and then responding in a way to degrade them in some fashion." - Mangalz

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Run a combat of 10 level 1 Warriors against 10 straw dummies (Medium inanimate object, AC 5). For 2 minutes (20 rounds) each Warrior makes 1 attack per round against the dummies; the dummies do not attack back.
    If (at the end of 20 rounds) any of the Warriors are dead or dying then the DM must butter his fumble rules and eat them.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

23. - Top - End - #23

Do the old fashioned thing.

A party of level 1 fighters and a party of level 20 fighters, each with roughly the same equipment (2h sword, heaviest affordable armour, etc etc allowing for improvements from WBL) hacking away at dummies (AC 5) for ten minutes.

If by the end of the 10 minutes the level 20 fighters are more injured/dead/lost more weapons than the level 1 fighters the DM must eat his fumble rules. Without sauce.
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

24. - Top - End - #24

Having a reroll handy would reduce the chance of a critical hit from 5% to 0.25%. Carth started a good list. You could also consider the Luck Blade, the Luck Feats from Complete Scoundrel (which mostly suck, but Better Lucky Than Good Feat allows you to expend one luck reroll as a swift action to treat a natural 1 on an attack roll as if it were a natural 20), the Doomwarding weapon enhancement from Player's Guide to Faerun (only 7 charges and is expensive, so you'd only want to do it if there was an Artificer in the party), and a bunch of PrC options.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I was just wondering about using something like this as a technique to determine a critical fumble.

Make the roll a DC25 minus current BAB (as adjusted by power attack or other adjusters) and added in the approriate stat bonus for the attack being fumble (STR or DEX). This will give the full BAB class that probably seriously train on weapons a better chance of not dropping it where the wimpy wizard that thinks he can wield a deadly dagger with precision may not hold on to it at all.

Might need to be tweeked a bit to handle level 1 to level 60.

Also this will cause more of the fumbles for low level characters but reduce them for those characters that have had a little experience out there
    Last edited by hydraa; 2013-02-01 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added stat bonus

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

the best solution i see for that is to what my DM dose, we use the fumble chart, if you roll a 1, you then roll a % and see what the drawback is, the chart is 1-100 but only has about 40 different things that could go wrong, such as twist ankle half move, drop weapon, immobilize left or right hand, most being alot easier to deal with then, you threw your weapon over there, and some do have saving throws. but it also has, you killed yourself, that's the fun of it lol. we also use the crit chart, nothing like opening a fight with a crit and watching a bosses head roll off
    Last edited by Drackstin; 2013-02-01 at 10:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Jarnok,

I don't believe there is a way to prevent a 1 on an attack roll. TOB aside. With out luck feats/pool/what not.

My recommendations:
    1. Suggest to your DM about making a rule for Confirming fumbles. Because you don't always crit when you roll a 20 same should be for 1's. (that's how we run it at our table, mainly because my players wanted fumbles)
    2. Isn't there a zero level spell that lets you glue stuff... I think it has a duration too.. Maybe glue the weapon to his hand?
    3. Are there any ways to give him a Mindblade esc ability so when he throws his weapons they just dissipate? or return to him or something along those lines.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    Jarnok,

I don't believe there is a way to prevent a 1 on an attack roll. TOB aside. With out luck feats/pool/what not.

My recommendations:
    1. Suggest to your DM about making a rule for Confirming fumbles. Because you don't always crit when you roll a 20 same should be for 1's. (that's how we run it at our table, mainly because my players wanted fumbles)
    2. Isn't there a zero level spell that lets you glue stuff... I think it has a duration too.. Maybe glue the weapon to his hand?
    3. Are there any ways to give him a Mindblade esc ability so when he throws his weapons they just dissipate? or return to him or something along those lines.
    Let's assume for the moment I have no desire to chuck anything at my DM, but that his house rule is not negotiable at this time (I mentioned my displeasure, but he's otherwise a lot of fun to play with. He loves his crit fumbles, though).

I thought of the locked gauntlet, but he's going to have other penalties instead if I do that (such as hitting nearby allies and such). And he loves this character, so no rebuilds. The easiest thing would be to figure out a way to never roll 1s.

He's not a Warblade though... no dice there.

JaronK

Unfortunately JaronK is looking for ways to avoid the 1 on the attack roll as he feels that his GM will be inflexable about changing the operation of his Crit Hit system and that if the inconvenience of dropping the weapon is negated in some way the GM will come up with a worse Fumble interpretation instead.

Potentially something like this:
    GM: your weapon flies from your hand.
    P1: it can't due to: (sovereign glue, locked gauntlet, mindblade etc.)
    GM: Oh, Ok, in that case you hit yourself / an ally, roll damage...
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by hydraa View Post
    I was just wondering about using something like this as a technique to determine a critical fumble.

Make the roll a DC25 minus current BAB (as adjusted by power attack or other adjusters) and added in the approriate stat bonus for the attack being fumble (STR or DEX). This will give the full BAB class that probably seriously train on weapons a better chance of not dropping it where the wimpy wizard that thinks he can wield a deadly dagger with precision may not hold on to it at all.

Might need to be tweeked a bit to handle level 1 to level 60.

Also this will cause more of the fumbles for low level characters but reduce them for those characters that have had a little experience out there
    I would strongly suggest that you not use any form of critical fumble rules. They are not in any published 3.5 rule set, and that's for a good reason. While it's a fun concept, it punishes players who roll multiple attacks per round. It also has the effect of weakening low Tier melee characters (especially the Ranger and Rogue), and strengthening high Tier non-melee characters (especially Tier 1-2 casters) who don't rely on any attack rolls.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

If you absolutely must have a critical fumble rule, it should only be checked against the first attack a character makes each round, never against iteratives, and never with secondary weapons.

If secondary attacks can trigger fumbles, I wanna fight hydras