New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusand View Post
    Cool, sounds reasonable. 8x11, smaller, larger? I'm trying to imagine it framed in my house, basically. I've always wanted some original art from something I love.
    At least 8x10. Maybe larger. I need to go to the art supply store and see what size the recycled bristol board comes in.

-------------

Also, I added some FAQs to the main project page. Most of them are things I answered in this thread too, but you might want to read them anyway.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    At least 8x10. Maybe larger.
    Aaaagghhh...my will to resist the $290 pledge is slipping...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

And there goes the $30,000 mark, more than half way, in the first 13 hours or so. I think "crush the goal and go far beyond" is a pretty safe bet. Come on, fans with money, let's get every last book on the list back in print!
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Rich, given that this (so far) looks to be a smashing success, is there any chance that you might fund future book print runs with the Kickstarter model? I'm mostly thinking about the strips that will go into "Book 5" (and of course, future books), but also any other book projects that you might have down the road.

Or is this going to be a one time only deal/something that is done very rarely?
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

Daemon

Sorry, I'm going to have to say no.

I haven't done anything like this before and after the mess with the last book, I'm not buying anything unless it's in the store.

I am also suprised and startled by this new policy as I seem to remember Rich Burlew telling people if they want to donate to someone, do it to a worthwhile charity. I also seem to remember Rich keeping his Dragon magazine strips under lock and key for 5 years because it wouldn't be worth it for such a small book.

Question for the big man: what was wrong with O-chuls story that you couldn't put it in the book. You control the page size.

If you want my money though, you'll get it from book 5 and prequel book -2.

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Rich, given that this (so far) looks to be a smashing success, is there any chance that you might fund future book print runs with the Kickstarter model? I'm mostly thinking about the strips that will go into "Book 5" (and of course, future books), but also any other book projects that you might have down the road.

Or is this going to be a one time only deal/something that is done very rarely?
    I don't think I'd like to do it TOO often, if only because there can only so many special high-end rewards given out before they start to be cheapened. But yeah, I think this definitely is going into the toolbox of possibilities for future funding.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    I am also suprised and startled by this new policy as I seem to remember Rich Burlew telling people if they want to donate to someone, do it to a worthwhile charity.
    I'm not asking for charity, I'm asking for set prices for specific rewards. It's no different than selling things directly, except for that there's a small chance that the whole thing will be called off if we don't sell enough. If you would prefer to donate to a worthwhile charity, I couldn't be happier about it. I'll be fine. I'm doing this mostly for the fans who have begged me for two years to put War and XPs back in print. Donating to charity won't get them the book they want.

I also seem to remember Rich keeping his Dragon magazine strips under lock and key for 5 years because it wouldn't be worth it for such a small book.

Question for the big man: what was wrong with O-chuls story that you couldn't put it in the book. You control the page size.
    But I don't control the cost. Putting the O-Chul story into that book on top of all the other things I had planned would have put the cost of the book higher, and it was a small enough print run that I would have had to price it over $27 to make a profit. I didn't think people would pay that much for a book of half the size of the $30 Paladin Blues, so I dropped it. It was also thematically different from the rest of the book, which was all non-canon material, thus making it the first to be dropped.

In short, I came up with more ideas than would fit in the length book I wanted to publish, so I picked the ones I wanted to use and shelved the rest.

If you want my money though, you'll get it from book 5 and prequel book -2.
    If you don't want to participate, then don't. I'm not expecting everyone to sign up. But don't act like I'm twisting your arm or something. It's a voluntary process.
    Rich Burlew

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

I don't think I'd like to do it TOO often, if only because there can only so many special high-end rewards given out before they start to be cheapened. But yeah, I think this definitely is going into the toolbox of possibilities for future funding.
    Personally, while the high-end rewards are awesome (and sadly, way out of my price range), I'd be satisfied with a run like this that just offers the book (and maybe some other small goodies, like the O-chul PDF), as a way for the fans to preorder and not actually spend anything if there's not enough preorders. Sure, the run might not raise enough to reprint, but it at least lets the fans get a chance at getting the out of print books again, and you don't have to try and guess if you can make enough money to justify reprinting.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

The drive will stay open until February 21, regardless of how much is pledged. In fact, I'm really hoping that we absolutely crush the goal so we can get more than one book back in print.
    Given that you're already at $31,901, your dream is probably coming true.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

It was also thematically different from the rest of the book, which was all non-canon material, thus making it the first to be dropped.
    What?!? Surely at least the Julio Scoundrél story is canon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yay! I'm so excited, I've had anxiety about missing the War and XPs book for a long time. Smashing idea Rich!

Too bad my wife would kill me if I went for the $250 version considering the current economical situation, but at least I'm chipping in some for the project.
    Last edited by Crod; 2012-01-23 at 03:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

Daemon

Another question for the big man: your profile claims you are from queens but Kickstarter says you are a philidelphian. I know you have lived in New York but is Kickstarter more accurate? You don't need to answer this one if it's too personal.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Yay, i'm a Backer!
    (sorry i couldn't do more than the basic 10$ thing)

Also, the pledge's been active for 24 hours and you already got 30 000 dollars? Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    What?!? Surely at least the Julio Scoundrél story is canon!
    It is in Julio's mind.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Giant?

Could you post on the Drive page how much we need to pledge in order for Dungeon Crawling and No Cure to be printed as well?

Hate to see the drive stop once we reached the first goal of WAXP.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MurkyMajare View Post
    Giant?

Could you post on the Drive page how much we need to pledge in order for Dungeon Crawling and No Cure to be printed as well?

Hate to see the drive stop once we reached the first goal of WAXP.
    ^ Seconded.

Like for another poster above, my credit card will expire at the end of january. The difference in my situation is that my card will be automatically renewed with the same number and just a new expiration date. Will it be ok for me to use the current one to make the pledge, and then change the expiration date on Amazon's site on the first days of february? Or maybe for me the best thing to do could be to just wait for february to change the card details and make the pledge... But... I... CAN'T... WAIT... THAT... LONG... MUST... DO... IT... NOW...

17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, after today's strip I really hope one of the commisionned stories is about Tsuiko... I'd do it myself were it not for the cost and having already gone for the $600 one...
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

While the chance is small, I'm curious what you will do if two people picks the same character for the 1250$ reward?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm122 View Post
    While the chance is small, I'm curious what you will do if two people picks the same character for the 1250$ reward?
    He has said he'll do a double length strip, so 16-24 pages.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    He has said he'll do a double length strip, so 16-24 pages.
    I skimmed all his answers, must have missed it then, but I thought it would be something like that.

21. - Top - End - #141

SolithKnightGuy

I pledged 290 (that's enough for the art+book right, I didn't need to add more for shipping/handling?). I've been checking the site twice as often ever since you teased this coming up, since I had a feeling you were talking about a kickstarter and I wanted to get something good before they all sold out.

I noticed that Kickstarter didn't ask for my address or anything, I assume you'll either get that through amazon or there will be a way to get it to you when the kickstarter ends?

EDIT: Just saw the e-mail that says I'll get sent a survey asking me for things like my address when necessary.
    Last edited by Typewriter; 2012-01-23 at 09:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

i'd love to pledge, but Amazon is being a dink saying i i have an account for one of my e-mails, but cant give me the password to it for some reason. i might make a new account under a different e-mail, but idk.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Must have been asked already 50 times, sorry about that. Isn t Control Undead a Wiz/Sor (7) spell? Redcloak is a cleric, although a powerful one.

Also, why is Control Undead NOT a cleric spell too? That seems like a design flaw...

EDIT: Sorry , wrong thread. Apologies for that.
    Last edited by Ossian; 2012-01-23 at 11:03 AM.
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there a chance of an additional reward 'custom forum avatar made by Rich'? I would most probably buy one.
    Last edited by Joerg; 2012-01-23 at 11:55 AM.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

25. - Top - End - #145

DwarfFighterGuy

Wow, less than 10K to go. looks like we're on pace to break the goal in well under 48 hours. Hopefully, we can get a reprint of Paladin Blues out of this, too.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Thumbs up Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Hopefully, we can get a reprint of Paladin Blues out of this, too.
    This! I've been waiting for #2 for a while.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    It is in Julio's mind.
    Actually I'm hoping one (or more) of the three 1250 pledgers picks Julio for the bonus story. In fact, when OOTS ends, I hope Rich takes a little time off then starts making Julio Scoundrel comics.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

After careful consideration, I have opted for a crayon sketch. I hope it helps!
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

29. - Top - End - #149

So, what are the chances all three rich guys\girls chose O'chul? This plus the story that's already promised would make a whole O'chul book...
    Last edited by Eerie; 2012-01-23 at 01:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I snagged the last $1,250 slot at 11:00am EST and the total was @ about $40K.
    its now about $51K some 3 hours later, so I guess the question is not WILL it be funded anymore but WHEN it will cross the goal line.

I could not bring myself to invest the $5K just to get Heinrich Greensleeves, my Gnomish Banker / Alchemist, published. Which is ironic (in the coincidental fashion) since he made so much money through investment banking.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground