New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default I need something broken

Dear Forum Readers,
    I am sick of being the underpowered player. I am sick of the fighting with dragon knights, large sized paladins, vop monks whos stats do not line up. I want to play something horribly broken that sucks the fun out of the game completely. Please give me your expert knowledge on a core class build that is broken to all hell.
    Sincerely,
    Mihiale

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I need something broken

Be a Druid with Natural Spell, and read a handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

You're going to need to be a Psion Kobold with 18 intelligence and a Sage Psicrystal. Take Skill Focus (Knowledge: the Planes), and put 4 ranks in the same skill. Spend your money on a masterwork skill tool (say a book) to give a bonus to your K: the Planes.

Now, three times, you have to call out the name Candleja

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

You don't want something broken. That'd just disjoin the game. You want something extremely powerful, that you can scale down as desired. Core Druid played by a true master is probably the strongest thing this side of blatant gamebreaking (permanent Polymorph Any Object on low level; purchase casting - Candle of Invocation; bind Efreet, wish for anything, for example more Candles for more Wishes - Dust of Sneezing and Choking; no-save basically anything is disabled for long enough). Wizards and Clerics are also amazing, but Druids have more to play with early on (and on level 17, they still keep up thanks to Shapechange).

Basically:
    Feats:
    • Natural Spell: Take on 6, you're on your way to godhood.
    • Leadership: If allowed, take on 9, pick e.g. Druid or Wizard Cohort, win everything forever.
    • Augment Summoning: Druid has the best summons in the Core and can use them spontaneously, it's rarely wasted.
    • Multiattack: Good for fighting in Wildshape.
    • Improved Trip: Good for fighting in Wildshape.
    • Quicken Spell/Extend Spell/Spell Penetration/Greater Spell Penetration: Good for spellcasting.
    • Craft Wondrous Items/Craft Magic Arms and Armor: Good for getting tons of valuable equipment.

Skills:
    • Concentration, Knowledge: Nature are must maxes. Concentration for a melee caster and Knowledge: Nature so you know what you're summoning and what-not. If your DM side-steps that, feel free to skimp on K: Nature tho.
    • Spellcraft is a must max if you're the only spellcaster or if you want more soloability. Not that important with other party casters.
    • Spot and Listen are superb and ones I'd always strive to max out as a Druid as observational talents are awesome.
    • Handle Animal should take enough ranks that you can reach +10 with your Animal Companion (counting the +4). This allows you to take 10 to teach it tricks, which means you can teach all the tricks you need. Teach it combat tricks and if you need to Push it, just take 20. If you're gonna form a Druidic herd of animal helpers though or take more combat helpers á la Handle Animal Guide, you'll want to max it especially if Charisma isn't your strong suite.
    • Survival is a fine skill but you get most of the uses you want out of it without a single rank thanks to your immense Wisdom. I'd save points there.
    • If going for a combatant, you'd want to consider a few cross-class skills. First, Balance is very useful to have 5 ranks in simply to not be flat-footed when Balancing (e.g. on Grease, Marbles or such). Then, Tumble is obviously superb for a non-armored character; just max it if you can afford it. Then, many forms come with bonuses to Hide and Move Silently so putting cross-class ranks in those could be helpful.

Animal Companion:
    Stick to canine, feline & ursine creatures, mostly. Crocodiles, dinosaurs and big creatures also tend to make reasonable options. A good line of development would be something like:
    - War-Trained Riding Dog (see Riding Dog entry in Monster Manual)
    - Dire Bat
    - Brown Bear
    - Dire Lion
    - Dire Bear
    - Dire Tiger

With tons of obviously solid alternatives. Of note is that riding on a Dire Bat mount on level 4 is very, very effective, and War-Trained Riding Dog with Bardings (War-Trained creatures have armor proficiencies) is better than most low-level warriors. And Dire-creatures have good Will-saves which is very welcome.

Spells:
    Use most of your spellslots for battlefield control. Basically Entangle, Soften Earth and Stone, Sleet Storm, Ice Storm, Antilife Shell, etc. allow controlling enemies very well. Then you have Barkskin, Freedom of Movement, Animal Growth, Air Walk and such as very, very solid ally/animal buffs (note, you can buff your summons too; Animal Growthing a bunch of Dire Wolves is filthy). And your spontaneous summons, which also replicate spells from other lists (and Unicorns are superb healbots, Pixies are wonderful assistant casters and such, Thoqquas get you to places, etc.). And then you have a bunch of utility like Transport Via Plants, Scrying and such, and good ol' Control Winds & Giant Vermin once you get high caster level (e.g. Beads of Karma from Strand of Prayer Beads, and Orange Prism Ioun Stone, get you there fast).

Wildshape:
    You can spend 24/7 in Wildshape at level 8. Almost all adventuring day on level 6. Make use of this. Take high mental stats & Con, stay in Wildshape to use animals' physicals, get Wild (enhanced) Armor & Shield, use Ioun Stones & buffs, etc. Stuff like Bears, Tigers, Deinonychus, etc. make for solid Wildshape forms. Elementals have obvious utility but aren't too good in combat.

For more details, perview the handbook. Basically tho, yeah, play a Druid and play one well and you can be however strong you want to be.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2011-07-08 at 09:55 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Have you tried making a Truenamer? I hear they're very powerful and easy to play.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Also with ONLY the DMG, you don't have to worry about not being able to communicate with your allies while wild shaped. You just need a cursed item, I think its the amulet of thought projection? Of course, out of core you can do better... but it's more interesting to break the game using only three books (PHB, DMG, MM1).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

If you're playing at low-ish levels and going with the Druid option, Greenbound Summoning from Lost Empires of Faerun is pretty ridiculous. It gives all your summons the Greenbound template, which among other things grants DR 10/magic and slashing and some neat SLAs, including Entangle at will and 1/day Wall of Thorns. Wall of Thorns! Your summons will be able to cast Wall of Thorns way before you do, and you can spam them (one casting of summon nature's ally III gives you 1d4+1 walls, and then 1d4+1 entangles every round after that for CL rounds)! At higher levels the lack of animal buffs, higher AC enemies, and more mobility options make this less silly-powerful, but at low levels it's pretty game-breaking, which is (apparently) exactly what you want. A rod of lesser extend works wonders here. Metamagic school focus + extend spell also works in a pinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBlanket View Post
    Have you tried making a Truenamer? I hear they're very powerful and easy to play.
    Quoted for... wait, no. Thats not even close to true.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Also with ONLY the DMG, you don't have to worry about not being able to communicate with your allies while wild shaped. You just need a cursed item, I think its the amulet of thought projection? Of course, out of core you can do better... but it's more interesting to break the game using only three books (PHB, DMG, MM1).
    Uh. I'd avoid it; it's still a cursed item. Everything being able to hear everything you think is kinda inconvenient. Just get Rary's Telepathic Bond between the party members instead and you're good to go.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWiz View Post
    Quoted for... wait, no. Thats not even close to true.
    Really? I hear they're very competent, and make for very entertaining builds that require very little effort on the part of the player in terms of optimization. Taking 20 levels of Truenamer is quite possibly the most worthwhile investment you could ever possibly make. Ever.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Really? I hear they're very competent, and make for very entertaining builds that require very little effort on the part of the player in terms of optimization. Taking 20 levels of Truenamer is quite possibly the most worthwhile investment you could ever possibly make. Ever.
    And unlike many of your other options, it's not too anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Can't tell if joking
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Can't tell if joking
    I am.

I debated adding a /sarcasm, but decided against it. I thought I was being blatant enough as it was.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Healer works well too! Unicorns are the most broken things evar!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Healer works well too! Unicorns are the most broken things evar!
    Healers are stupid broken. I mean, why even play a Cleric if you can just get Healer instead, right?
    /SARCASM
    Last edited by HappyBlanket; 2011-07-08 at 10:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Well, if you're looking for something broken, Truenamer certainly is that. Just not the way the OP wants. Seriously though, Druid is probably your best bet. As long as you take Natural Spell at level 6, there's not many ways to permanently mess up your character. Look over the Monster Manuals for an animal that appeals to you for your Animal Companion, make sure you scale your Wild Shapes so you aren't using the same ones from level 6 at level 10, and make sure you pay attention to your spells, and if you notice a spell you prepared not being used, switch it out for something else. Remember, Druids have to prepare their spells, but they know all the spells on their list, so if you come across a spell that looks cool, and it's on the Druid spell list, you can prepare it. And yeah, Greenbound Summoning is crazy good on a low level druid.

MrRigger

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I am.

I debated adding a /sarcasm, but decided against it. I thought I was being blatant enough as it was.
    Oh, you were plenty blatant. It's just...on the internet, no one can tell if you're actually stupid or faking it.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

19. - Top - End - #19

Oh yeah, regarding SNA-line:
    SNAII: Small Elementals. Earth Elementals are very good for scouting, Whirlwind from Air Elemental & Vortex from Water Elemental are also decent though mostly in larger versions; Fire Elementals are mostly useful for burning something.
    SNAIII: Thoqquas are basically living drills. Satyrs are worth noting as speech-capable humanoids.
    SNAIV: Unicorns have Magic Circle and a goodly bunch of healing spells. Tojanidas have Fog Cloud (effectively) and Minor Xorn are basically more Humanoid Earth Elementals. Juvenile Arrowhawks are flying creatures with lazers, with obvious benefits against groundbound opponents without efficient anti-air.
    SNAV: Janni can cast Plane Shift for up to 8 creatures. Just saying. They can also Enlarge/Reduce two allies and create food, as desired. Satyrs with pipes have terrible save DCs but they can be called on unconscious creatures if desired. Nixies have better Charm Person (still meh, tho) and Water Breathing, and very impressive +11 Wild Empathy (though by these levels, you probably have them beat anyways).
    SNAVI: You can get Pixies to do Permanent Images and maybe some minor Dispelling (they have CL 8, it's 1/day). That's about it. Worth noting that Huge Elementals really begin to be able to use their special abilities on most creatures.
    SNAVII: Elder Arrowhawks have serious lazers, Djinni...uuuh, permanent vegetable Major Creation (and Food, Wine, Persistent Image & Air Elemental's Whirlwind but vegetable Major Creation can e.g. make Black Lotus Extract), Invisible Stalker is decent for short tracking operations and these Pixies...are largely worse than normal.
    SNAVIII: Noble Salamanders have Wall of Fire, Flaming Sphere & Dispel Magic at CL 15 - if that was GDM, they could be fairly good.
    SNAIX: Pixie comes with Otto's Irresistible Dance (autowin if your target is vulnerable), and you can memory wipe unconscious targets. Celestial Charger can cast Restoration.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2011-07-08 at 10:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Uh. I'd avoid it; it's still a cursed item. Everything being able to hear everything you think is kinda inconvenient. Just get Rary's Telepathic Bond between the party members instead and you're good to go.
    Eh sure, that works too. But this is cheaper. And you'd be taking it off when you don't need it. Or make sure that the area is pointed at something that blocks line of effect of the item. Also, remember that the character is a DRUID -- a meditative, high wisdom character who is capable of thinking like an animal (ie not in words) fairly well. If any character should be able of calming their thoughts to mitigate the negative effects of that item, it's a Druid.

21. - Top - End - #21

Because someone has to.
    But if you don't want true ridiculousness, be a Druid.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2011-07-08 at 10:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, if you truly want game-shatteringly levels of broken, don't just go Druid, go Planar Shepard.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I always wanted to play a Wildshape Ranger Planar Shepard as a way to boost it to Tier 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthroZada View Post
    You're going to need to be a Psion Kobold with 18 intelligence and a Sage Psicrystal. Take Skill Focus (Knowledge: the Planes), and put 4 ranks in the same skill. Spend your money on a masterwork skill tool (say a book) to give a bonus to your K: the Planes.

Now, three times, you have to call out the name Candleja
    You know, you're supposed to say Candlejack's full name in order for him to tak
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Never before have I seen such a selfless and devoted display of altruism mustered for the sole purpose of imbuing the OP with the means to horribly mutilate himself and everyone around him.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'd say go with the Chicken Infested Commoner 1/Cleric 19 Fell Animate Greater Consumptive Field strategy.

I had previously thought that with Dimensional Anchor cast and Pig Bond flaw, you could summon a free pit fiend, which was supposed to take you to the depths of hell when you let go of your pig, but it turns out the text actually says the pig turns into Orcus and skins you. Still, that could be a viable strategy in some way, right? Turn your pig into Orcus with the BBEG nearby and then have your party wizard teleport everyone out immediately. Or just kill your party, since the OP wants to be aggravating.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    9: "There Can Be Only One" is not my Eternal Hero's battlecry.

“Who ate my toast?” Exodus 20:4 (Deuteronomy 5:7, Judges 6:10, Hosea 13:4

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Never before have I seen such a selfless and devoted display of altruism mustered for the sole purpose of imbuing the OP with the means to horribly mutilate himself and everyone around him.
    Welcome to the GitP forums: If it exists, we will find a way to break a campaign with it.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AppleChips View Post
    I'd say go with the Chicken Infested Commoner 1/Cleric 19 Fell Animate Greater Consumptive Field strategy.

I had previously thought that with Dimensional Anchor cast and Pig Bond flaw, you could summon a free pit fiend, which was supposed to take you to the depths of hell when you let go of your pig, but it turns out the text actually says the pig turns into Orcus and skins you. Still, that could be a viable strategy in some way, right? Turn your pig into Orcus with the BBEG nearby and then have your party wizard teleport everyone out immediately. Or just kill your party, since the OP wants to be aggravating.

...what?

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Drynwyn View Post
    This build is out of date. Pun Pun can now be achieved with a level 1 kobold psion.
    Last edited by Timeless Error; 2011-07-09 at 11:19 AM.
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    You know, you're supposed to say Candlejack's full name in order for him to tak
    So Candlejack kindly presses enter for y
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself