New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Optimize or Die, Playgrounders! [E6 Balor Challenge Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    4th level spell scrolls don't exist in E6.
    Artificers create magic items as though they are 2 levels higher than they really are. Meaning that a 6th level Artificer is creating items that normally requires an 8th level caster. Ie, 4th level spell scrolls. They normally don't exist only because you can't get a wizard/druid/cleric/whatever to a high enough level to make them, but as far as I know there's no rule against getting an artificer to do it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

My way to not get autokilled by blasphemy was act first.
    My build was based on questionable use of magic item homebrew rule, but one could even think to go with 4 ToB characters and Belt of Battle and Withe Raven Tactics out the Balor before he can act.

By the way, Blasphemy was the main problem prevented me to Charm him or otherwise brainwash him

3. - Top - End - #183
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

They do if they're made by artificers, who can make them at level 5, and the OP has specifically stated that such things are allowed for this challenge if made by a party member rather than an NPC.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Except when you can create it on your own.
    Around here I have a very responsible position. Every time something goes wrong I'm responsible.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    Artificers create magic items as though they are 2 levels higher than they really are. Meaning that a 6th level Artificer is creating items that normally requires an 8th level caster. Ie, 4th level spell scrolls. They normally don't exist only because you can't get a wizard/druid/cleric/whatever to a high enough level to make them, but as far as I know there's no rule against getting an artificer to do it for you.
    thanks for the explanation. I wasn't aware of that particularity.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I am pretty sure silence does not hamper SLA.
    Silence doesn't stop the Balor from using it, but it does stop the PC's from hearing it. (I've seen it argued that hearing isn't required for Balor to kill you, but that is silly.)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

I see a rules conflict in Silence vs. Blasphemy.

Silence:
    This spell provides a defense against sonic or language-based attacks.
    Blasphemy (which carries the [Sonic] descriptor)
    This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the blasphemy.
    So... yeah.

It's a really poorly defined case, I think. Silence says it provides "a defense" against sonic attacks, but does not explicitly call out the [Sonic] descriptor, nor does it say what this "defense" is supposed to be. Blasphemy says the target does not need to hear the spell, but does not say whether it overrides magical Silence.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi all. I just want to let you know I have not forgotten our brave challengers! Work got super busy. I hope to review the contestants before the weekend is over (though a date on Sunday may bump my giantitp time, in which case I will do it Mon at work ).
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Silence doesn't stop the Balor from using it, but it does stop the PC's from hearing it. (I've seen it argued that hearing isn't required for Balor to kill you, but that is silly.)
    only because you assume it is the hearing of the blasphemy that does the damage...
    you don't need to hear the wizard chanting to feel the fireball he casts at you... if blasphemy isn't an auditory attack but merely speaking a word of evil con conjure negative energy (in a specific form) then it would work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    I see a rules conflict in Silence vs. Blasphemy.
    there is no conflict, the blasphemy description helps confirm that it is NOT a language based attack. Thus, blasphemy is more akin to "circle of death"

it is actually an extremely well defined case, blasphemy explicitly states that not hearing it (via silence) does not stop it, silence explicitly states that it provides defense against things which have nothing to do with blasphemy.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-07-24 at 10:06 AM.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ingus View Post
    My way to not get autokilled by blasphemy was act first.
    My build was based on questionable use of magic item homebrew rule, but one could even think to go with 4 ToB characters and Belt of Battle and Withe Raven Tactics out the Balor before he can act.

By the way, Blasphemy was the main problem prevented me to Charm him or otherwise brainwash him
    I think a balor could most probably get a surprise round against such a party (with his good senses and teleport) and there is very little you can do to fight that... you are not high level enough to use Celerity, for starters, though characters with uncanny dodge coult potentially use Wings of Cover, I belive.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    though characters with uncanny dodge coult potentially use Wings of Cover, I belive.
    Nope. Uncanny Dodge is quite specific about what it gets you - dex to AC when flat-footed. It does not actually make you not flat-footed, so the other drawbacks of that status, including the inability to use immediate actions, remain.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

it is actually an extremely well defined case, blasphemy explicitly states that not hearing it (via silence) does not stop it, silence explicitly states that it provides defense against things which have nothing to do with blasphemy.
    Actually, I agree with Ernir's assessment. Silence can be ruled to protect against Blasphemy, as it has the [sonic] descriptor, which Silence explicitly says it protects against.

Nowhere in Silence does it say this protection is due to the fact that it prevents the target from hearing the attack (while that is one of the effects of the spell, it is NOT explicitly stated to be the "cause" of protection). And this is likely due to the fact that many sonic attacks besides Blasphemy (like Orb of Sound), work even against creatures that are deaf.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

13. - Top - End - #193

HalflingPirate

Context is King.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy
    Furthermore, if you are on your home plane when you cast this spell, nonevil extraplanar creatures within the area are instantly banished back to their home planes. Creatures so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the blasphemy. The banishment effect allows a Will save (at a -4 penalty) to negate.
    The phrase This effect is sandwiched by two sentences referring to the Banishment effect. I think it is clear that the rest of the spell works according to the [Sonic] descriptor.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Actually, I agree with Ernir's assessment. Silence can be ruled to protect against Blasphemy, as it has the [sonic] descriptor, which Silence explicitly says it protects against.
    ah, i missed that part.

Context is King.

The phrase This effect is sandwiched by two sentences referring to the Banishment effect. I think it is clear that the rest of the spell works according to the [Sonic] descriptor.
    very good observation. I guess I was wrong then.
    Thus I change my mind... having reread it with careful attention to those points, I think I would say that by RAW silence completely negates all aspects of blasphemy except the banishment.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-07-24 at 12:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I think this thread needs a trip back to the front page.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I think this is much more theory and much less actual combats, no matter what's been said. This isn't the first challenge like this I've seen, and they rarely work out into actual fights to test the theories. Hopefully, this one is different, but eh, don't hold your breath.
    Malakar has already offered to run a fight against the winner. He's retracted that to Swordguy and any entries that use shameless loop exploits. For any other entry that may win I assume he will live up to his word.

COMPLETE LIST OF SUBMISSIONS

Note: If your submission is NOT on this list, or if it looks like I did not address an edit or update to your submission, LET ME KNOW before noon CST on Tuesday 7/27!

If I asked questions about your entry, LET ME KNOW before noon CST on Tuesday 7/27!

After that the winner will be announced and it will be too late to point out something I forgot :)

Starbuck II's Spellward Sniper + 3 Chumps
    awaiting team details

Lhurgyof's Humorously Named Four
    DEAD. Give details on equipment and tactics if this is a serious submission.

Dextercorvia's "Poor Man's Lucubration 9ths" plus "Krau Sigil Cleric/Wiz" plus two chumps
    Status: Pun-Pun's Ladder Good theoretical builds but definitely hits the ladder

aje8's Wraithstrike Nova plus 3 chumps
    Status: Pending; convince me you can survive several rounds and repeat your nova, plus survive the death throes.

Awa's Chump with Astral Bomb Skellies, plus three more chumps
    Points for Cleverness But the only member of your party still in combat with the Balor is a sad skeleton on the Astral Plane.

Lhurgyof's Diplomancer plus three chumps
    Status: Pending; Show me how high you can make your Diplomacy score and how this will allow you to decisively defeat the Balor.

Crazedloon's "Krau Sigil 9ths" plus four chumps
    Ninja'd; and Ladder'd Again, brilliant theoretical build, but it's on Pun-Pun's ladder

Swordguy's Fight Smarter Not Harder (four chumps with a sphere of Gygax)

Aethernox's Four Go In, Three Come Out

Awa's Revised Chumps with Skellies and Dust of Sneezing

Cespenar's Contract Killers (four Rog5/Assassin1's)
    Status: Pending; You're assuming you can get your Hide and Move Silently to +58. Show me the feats & gear. You also assume you can boost your Fort save DC high enough that he will reliably (i..e more than half the time) fail with his +22 modifier. Show me the feats & gear.

jseah's Abramelin and Three Chumps
    DEAD. You cannot get a scroll of a 4th level or higher spell, as per the original post. Feel free to tweak and resubmit.
    Answer to jseah's question: the spell Gate is not itself banned, but scrolls of it are. If you can find a way to get a 9th level spell using the contest rules without resorting to Pun-Pun's Ladder, then you are golden. Hint: other contestants have found ways of getting 9th level spells.

Biffoniacus_Furious' "That's Not Tinkerbell!" plus three chumps

Tyndmyr's If You Like It Then You Shoulda Put an Orb on It

Gaurd_Juris' The Saintly Order of Who Took My Vorpal Sword?

Adumbration's Judge, Jury, and Executioner Plus One

Ingus' Bye-Bye Balor
    Status: DEAD; Brilliant use of items but your plan ends with banishing the Balor which was specified earlier as not counting as a victory.[/I]

The Shadowmind's Skeleton Crew
    Status: DEAD; Operating war machines requires a trained-only Profession (Siege Engineer) check as per the DMG, which default MM skeletons cannot make. You didn't offer a party to show how your necromancer could correct this. Basically 4 chumps walk proudly up to the Balor with 10,000 skeletons and 2500 siege weapons; two rounds later the Balor is on his cell phone asking his demon friends if they have any use for a skeleton army lead by 4 zombies with a look of shock and surprise frozen on their faces.

monkey3's I-Team and the Van
    Status: Pending; How does your Necron have Animate Dead to get the bullette? Remember scrolls are not available.

Lhurgyof's "It Worked for Arneson"
    Status: DEAD; I love this submission but sadly I think the Balor would have them all dead before realising how cool the game is. So really the Balor is the one who misses out, but still.

Eronai_Jantig's Fistful of Rays

JeminiZero's "Guardian of Wings"
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-07-26 at 11:44 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

If you could, please separate out when you do so all "victorious" parties not just the best one, so that I may offer my challenge against all of them.

To parties who may be facing a Balor:

Things I will need from you:
    1) Actual Sheets. If you don't feel like finding X more feats, just say Toughness X. If you don't feel like spending more gold, just write "A castle worth X gold."
    2) Um...

Things you will need to accept from me:
    1) The purpose of the actual Balor challenge is to test your idea against a real Balor that you might run into in a real game, so some of your assumptions will not be in play. Here is what you need to know now:

a) It will be an identical challenge at start (obviously, Balor may react differently) for all parties, please don't read other peoples until you have done your own.
    b) You will be inside a dungeon, facing a Balor somewhere in that Dungeon.
    c) You will have knowledge that you are facing a Balor. Since in reality, you would not have the ability in e6 to get your skill checks high enough to actually know everything about a Balor that you already knew when you planned your builds... That's just going to be a handicap in your favor.
    d) You will have to assault the Balor yourself, because he doesn't feel like coming to you.
    e) The Balor is trapped in this Dungeon, because he was Plane Shifted onto a Dungeon Plane. Any method of sending him to another Plane is a failure, not success. The Balor would love to be sent to the Abyss, or to the Astral. That would be great for him.
    f) You want to kill the Balor for some reason, that's up to you.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malakar View Post
    c) You will have knowledge that you are facing a Balor. Since in reality, you would not have the ability in e6 to get your skill checks high enough to actually know everything about a Balor that you already knew when you planned your builds... That's just going to be a handicap in your favor.
    Guess what? Go to the greatest library in the lands, get the librarians aid you, Voila! You get bonuses from having a library and the librarians doing aid another actions in research.
    Around here I have a very responsible position. Every time something goes wrong I'm responsible.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

If you could, please separate out when you do so all "victorious" parties not just the best one, so that I may offer my challenge against all of them.
    I suspect there will be four categories:

1) Winners (one best one gets the tantalizing prize package, a few runners up get the 200 words and digital image.)

2) Builds who could win, but are on Pun Pun's Ladder (DQ'd)

3) Builds who could not succeed or not enough info was given

4) Joke entries

So I imagine you will be offering the challenge to everyone in group (1) and no one from the other groups.

a) It will be an identical challenge at start (obviously, Balor may react differently) for all parties, please don't read other peoples until you have done your own.
    This seems a little over the top, a PbP fight can take weeks. This rule will probably mean all the other contestants lose interest by the time their turn comes up after the first contestant.

d) You will have to assault the Balor yourself, because he doesn't feel like coming to you.
    If you're building a dungeon and letting them roam it looking for the Balor then they should be able to find ways to lure him to a particular room or set a trap. You've built in WLD style backstory that he is trapped there; a good strategy using that background is to bluff him that they have a way out.

If neither the backstory, nor the rooms of the dungeon, nor the size of the dungeon can come into play and no luring or tricking is possible - then you may as well ditch the dungeon and make it an arena combat.

Just my thoughts - I don't want to step on the toes of your contest or confuse entrants, but I think it bears consideration.

ap
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-07-26 at 12:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

^Another_Poet:
    If it's an arena combat, trap based attempts become impossible. Of course, there's a certain element of cheese in those so...

Also, can't I just buy a candle of invocation? I'll eat the 20x cost, even after you add in the 5000xp cost the writers seemed to have forgotten about. (either by paying 25k gp or by losing 1 feat)
    Even with the insane pun-pun esque potential of the candle, I'll just be summoning my target balor with it. IE. almost RAI
    (I'm trapping and killing the summon instead of getting an ally, so not quite As Intended)

The cleric who's in charge of the candle (or the as-yet-unspecified gate process) will be oriented to buffing cha checks. There also needs to be one artificer to get a scroll of Dimensional Anchor (since it's a 4th level spell).

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

That's all legal if you can afford the cost. Can you update your post and let us know when it's done? For example which character is being replaced with the artificer, what the cleric build is to get those Cha checks, the strategy after killing the summon, etc.

ap

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Were there any otter questions for my build? Did you want me to fully complete the opti-fu on the cleric, Druid and bard, or did you feel the detail was sufficient to get an idea if my party could win.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems like sufficient detail, Eronai. Anyone with "looks like a complete plan" on the submission list has satisfied my list of questions about their team.

ap

24. - Top - End - #204

HalflingPirate

The only way I know of to get Nines in E6 without climbing Pun Pun's Ladder, is the Naenhoon exploit. An Illumian cleric6 (Or Wiz5/Cleric1) can use 6 turning attempts to heighten a spell to 9th level. Add Earth Spell for 10th. Now take Extra Slot. At least as I read it, it is to the landing. There is no recursion involved, anyway. Now I expect it is too theoretic for Malakar's liking, in that it has no more place in an E6 campaign than a Balor.

I'm still working on my Beatstick, but for now, change my team to the following

BSF: (To follow)
    Skillmonkey: Illumian Beguiler4/CloisteredCleric1/Mindbender1
    Healbot: Illumian CloisteredCleric6
    Batman: Illumian CloisteredCleric1/Wizard5
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2010-07-26 at 03:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

The only way I know of to get Nines in E6 without climbing Pun Pun's Ladder, is the Naenhoon exploit. An Illumian cleric6 (Or Wiz5/Cleric1) can use 6 turning attempts to heighten a spell to 9th level. Add Earth Spell for 10th. Now take Extra Slot. At least as I read it, it is to the landing. There is no recursion involved, anyway. Now I expect it is too theoretic for Malakar's liking, in that it has no more place in an E6 campaign than a Balor.
    Yep that is at the landing but not up the ladder. Impressive. I agree it is against the spirit of E6 and Malakar would probably not send his balor against it, because poory baby balor is scawed of the big bad 9th level spells!

I'm still working on my Beatstick, but for change my team to the following

BSF: (To follow)
    Skillmonkey: Illumian Beguiler4/CloisteredCleric1/Mindbender1
    Healbot: Illumian CloisteredCleric6
    Batman: Illumian CloisteredCleric1/Wizard5
    Righty right.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    It seems like sufficient detail, Eronai. Anyone with "looks like a complete plan" on the submission list has satisfied my list of questions about their team.

ap

Hey, AP, were you going to update my entry up to "looks complete", since I've dealt with the death throes question, or is there something else I need to do?

edit@swordguy: Point taken. Your tactic renders the death throes moot. I'll edit the main submission listing on the front page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

This seems a little over the top, a PbP fight can take weeks. This rule will probably mean all the other contestants lose interest by the time their turn comes up after the first contestant.
    I am capable of running multiple challenges concurrently.

If you're building a dungeon and letting them roam it looking for the Balor then they should be able to find ways to lure him to a particular room or set a trap. You've built in WLD style backstory that he is trapped there; a good strategy using that background is to bluff him that they have a way out.
    The Balor doesn't know specifically when you are coming, or anything he wouldn't know about who is coming from his natural abilities.

This is primarily to defeat the "I sneak up to adjacent to the Balor with my +3 Hide checks" line of thinking. And the "I have +11billion init, so I automatically win in an open plane within range" type of comments.

This is supposed to model an actual game situation. So sometimes you have to do something to a Balor that isn't standing within 5ft of you waiting to roll init. Like, maybe he's taking over the world and you have to assault him.

As for luring, sure you can try to lure him out or whatever. Absolutely. Tell him you have a Portable Hole and a Bag of Holding. Whatever works. But the point is that you have to go find him and tell him, and then you are completely at his whim whether he feels like going to visit you.

@9th level spells thing.

No, not really. Because the Heighten is an instantaneous thing upon casting, you can't use those spells that are only modified on casting to meet the pre reqs for Extra Slot, so you can't actually get the Extra Slot 9th level.

28. - Top - End - #208

HalflingPirate

The Team:

Big Stupid Fighter
    TBA

Skillmonkey
    Name: Sneaky McCaster
    Race: Illumian
    Classes: Beguiler4/CloisteredCleric1/Mindbender1

Stats Str10 Dex 14(20) Con 14(20) Int 19(25) Wis10 Cha 8(14)

Trait: Aggressive(SRD)
    Domains: Tyranny(SpC), Domination(SpC)
    Power Sigils NaenHoon(RoD)

Feats:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonus(Domination Domain):Spell Focus -- Enchantment
    1:Able Learner(RoD)
    3:Practiced Spellcaster(CA)
    6:Mindsight(LoM)
    E1:Heighten Spell(SRD)
    E2:Earth Sense(RoS)
    E3:Earth Spell(RoS)
    E4:Extra Turning(SRD)
    E5:Arcane Mastery(CA)
    E6:Arcane Thesis[Dominate Monster](PHBII)
    E7:Twin Spell(CA)
    E8:Improved Initiative(SRD)
    E9:Greater Spell Focus -- Enchantment(SRD)
    E10:Corrupt Spell(CD)
    E11:Spell Focus -- Evil(SRD)
    E12:Greater Spell Focus -- Evil(SRD)
    E13:Malign Spell Focus(BoVD)
    E14:Shadow Weave Magic(PGF)
    E15:Pernicious Magic(PGF)
    E16:Spell Penetration(SRD)
    E17:Greater Spell Penetration(SRD)
    E18:Fey Heritage(CM)
    E19:Fey Power(CM)
    E20:Fiendish Heritage(CM)
    E21:Fiendish Power(CM)
    E22:Quick Reconnoiter
    E23-E35:Extra Slot(CA)

Items:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Item|Source|Price
    Belt of Battle|MIC|12000
    with Con +6|MIC|36000
    +1 Eager Gauntlet of Warning|MIC|18000
    Helm of Wounding Sight|MIC|6500
    with Int +6|MIC|36000
    Mask of Mastery|MIC|3500
    Greater Rod of Metamagic -- Quicken|SRD|170000
    Veil of Allure|MIC|14000
    Boots of Dexterity +6|MIC|36000
    Cloak of Charisma +6|SRD|36000
    [/table]

Tactics:
    Spoiler
    Show

Foresight means never being surprised.

Init +22 means the Balor always looses Initiative.
    Spoiler
    Show

+4 Improved Init.
    +5 Dex
    +5 Warning Dagger (Insight)
    +2 Eager Dagger
    +2 Belt of Battle (Competence)
    +2 Aggressive
    +2 Two pieces of Armor of Watching Master

Sneaky McCaster casts Quickened Twin Corrupt Dominate Monster followed by Twin Corrupt Dominate Monster from ninth level slots with a save DC of 39,
    Spoiler
    Show

Base 19
    +1 Earth Spell
    +7 Intelligence
    +2 Veil of Allure
    +1 Fey Power
    +1 Spell Focus -- Evil
    +1 Gr. Spell Focus -- Evil
    +1 Shadow Weave Magic
    +1 Fiendish Power
    +1 Spell Focus -- Evil
    +1 Gr. Spell Focus -- Evil
    +1 Malign Spell Focus
    +1 Tyranny Domain
    Quicken from Rod
    Naenhoon for Twin

bypassing the Balor's SR by taking 10 for a result of 28.
    Spoiler
    Show

10 Arcane Mastery
    +6 Beguiler level + Practiced Spellcaster
    +2 Arcane Thesis
    +1 Fey Power
    +1 Fiendish Power
    +4 Pernicious Magic
    +2 Spell Penetration
    +2 Greater Spell Penetration

Arcane Caster
    Sneaky's brother Arcane McCaster has a similar layout, trading Mindsight and some of the Extra Slots for Extra Spell, so he can accomplish the same basic tasks.

Heal Bot
    Their brother Divine Mccaster can do the same thing, replacing Dominate Monster with Monstrous Thrall(SpC) which is permanent (read the text not the table), That is 12 SoL effects coming at the Balor before its initiative count. The Balor only succeeds on any of these on a natural 20. This leads us to the big reveal:

Spoiler
    Show

The BSF is
    Spoiler
    Show

The Balor

@9th level spells thing.

No, not really. Because the Heighten is an instantaneous thing upon casting, you can't use those spells that are only modified on casting to meet the pre reqs for Extra Slot, so you can't actually get the Extra Slot 9th level.
    Which Prereq?

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane
    EXTRA SLOT
    You can cast an additional spell.
    Prerequisite: Caster level 4th.
    Benefit: You gain one extra spell slot in your daily allotment,
    at any level up to one lower than the highest level of
    spell you can currently cast.
    So long has you haven't used up your naenhoon ability the day you take the feat, you are capable of casting a 10th level spell.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2010-07-26 at 06:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Banned

So long has you haven't used up your naenhoon ability the day you take the feat, you are capable of casting a 10th level spell.
    No, you are capable of casting a 3rd level spell, which you are capable of Heightening to 10th level, if you expend a bunch of other abilities that have nothing to do with casting that 3rd level spell.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

The initial plan was fine but this modification is slightly stronger 2 skeleton users make it harder to stop the skeletons
    protection from energy on skeletons and pcs protect vrs fire
    evil protects vrs blasphemy
    protection from evil protects vrs dominate
    every one disguised with full body concealing robes and good aligned holy symbols. this should make it harder for the balor to take pot shots at the useful people

if balors location is unknown spam celestial dogs with summon monster 3 wands send them to look for balor when found go after use skeleton bombs.
    cleric has skeleton reapply dust every 5 rounds to insure the balor never has a chance to act (i though about readied actions but i couldn't trust 0 int creatures with that)

the elf wizard is the shooter in this version using his wand of true strike
    to reliable hit the balor. Far shot can keep him out of range of the death throws if possible otherwise protection from energy.
    Invisibility will keep him from detecting the party when farther then 120 feet away.
    Commoners convinced dust will not hurt them vie bluff also planning to suicide

Spoiler
    Show
    52,500 un spent

1000 bags of coughing and sneezing

44s oil protection from energy

Dwarf Cleric 6
    Str 8 dex 8 con 20 int 10 wis 18 cha 6
    20 skeletons
    38 toughness
    Wand summon monster 3

elf Wizard 6
    str 8 dex 20 con6 int 18 cha 8
    20 skeletons (wand animate dead)
    long bow wounding cost x20
    Wand true strike
    35 toughness
    Weapon focus bow , point blank shot, far shot
    Wand protection from evil
    Wand summon monster 3
    Wand invisibility
    Spell known haste

Rouge
    Str 10 dex 14 con 14 int 10 wis 10 cha 20
    Leadership 6 followers
    1level 4 commoner
    level 1 commoner
    ability training ability advancement cha
    36 toughness
    Disguise 9 ranks
    Umd 9 ranks
    Bluff 9 ranks
    Wand protection from evil

Fighter
    43 toughness

ps this was a little bit rushed due to other time constraints and grammar was never my strong point so i apologies in advance