View Single Post

Thread: Good is Not Nice: A Paladin's Guide

1. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Good is Not Nice: A Paladin's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrin33 View Post
    Which one's are better then as multiclass options, and for what reasons? The metamagic and sorcery points associated with it really pulls out ahead if not at least equal with the other options.
    I can take a swing at this. There are two reasons to multiclass. First, to min/max some aspect of your character. Taking classes in rogue or fighter, for example, increases your ability to damage your opponent with physical attacks by quite a bit. Paladins are already good at this, but they can get excellent, immediate boosts by multiclassing.

Another reason to multiclass is to round out your character by giving them access to things they did not have access to before. A Paladin who takes spellcaster levels is doing this.

However, multiclassing is usually most effective when it's a quick dip that gets you what you need. If I have to take eight levels in Sorcerer to be effective, I'm losing out on a lot of Paladin features to be an okay sorcerer. You can be a kind of combined class, but you usually won't be as good at whatever it is you specialize in as you would be had you not multiclassed.

Sorcerers are great, thanks to metamagic. They have solid spell lists and can easily be made into great blasters. However, two levels of Warlock net you the most damaging cantrip in the game, Pact Magic that regenerates slots on a short rest, and access to excellent invocations that can give you passive bonuses without using spell slots. Warlocks are simply better when it comes to giving a Paladin that extra ranged oomph.

When it comes to spells that are more utility-oriented, Bards have a lot more utility options than Sorcerers do.

If I were building a pure caster, I would pick a Sorcerer over just about any other class. However, as a multiclass option, I think that both Bard and Warlock offer better boosts in fewer levels.

However, a one level dip in both Sorcerer and Warlock would give you both Quickened Spell and Eldritch Blast with the Agonizing Blast incantation, which might be the best option overall. But having that many different classes seems silly.
    Last edited by EvilAnagram; 2014-10-08 at 11:44 AM.