New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 2D8HP's extended mea culpa and Random Banter #218

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    People may be ignoring the distinction between jails and prisons.
    Fair enough. In my defense, my actual language doesn’t make a distinction. If cities in America have jails and only higher level government entities have prisons, then amend my post up there to say jail.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Hope they are alright?

Oh, it was a Court case, and I mostly repair plumbing fixtures at the San Francisco Hall of Justice, so seeing someone I've seen in-person on the news isn't that unusual, but that it was six people for one story was

Last year there was a court case that got national attention and I was amused to see the Cadets and Deputies suddenly wearing ties, which I'd never seen them do before, and I saw one of the out-of-town reporters fiercely tell a deputy that she would hold him responsible if the equipment in her news van was stolen as she was dissatisfied with the parking, and I could tell he was biting his tongue trying not to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I thought plumber for the city, or something.

Yep.

Not to pretend I know all that much about prisons (and not being able to talk about what all I do know about them), but to the best of my knowledge they're either state or federal, and wouldn't be run by cities.

Could be totally wrong here, of course.

San Francisco is both a City and a County (so a Board of Supervisors, not a City Council), and it has a few County Jails, one of which most of my Service Orders come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Isn't jails and prisons the same thing.

Nah, in California usually Jails are County, and Prisons are State and Federal, but there still signs that say "City Prison" from when the now closed 6th floor Jail used to be the Police Departments responsibility (the 7th floor one was always the Sheriff's Department).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Isn't jails and prisons the same thing.
    In the US currently, jail is for people awaiting trial who were unable to obtain release on bail, and for people sentenced to less than a year. Prison is for longer sentences. Jails are typically city or county-run, while prisons are state or federal. For example, in New York City, Rikers Island is a city jail. Up the river, Sing Sing Correctional Facility is a state prison.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    In the US currently, jail is for people awaiting trial who were unable to obtain release on bail, and for people sentenced to less than a year. Prison is for longer sentences. Jails are typically city or county-run, while prisons are state or federal. For example, in New York City, Rikers Island is a city jail. Up the river, Sing Sing Correctional Facility is a state prison.
    Oh I see. I learned something new today.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Oh, it was a Court case, and I mostly repair plumbing fixtures at the San Francisco Hall of Justice
    I choose to believe that the participants in there wear capes and tall boots and brightly colored costumes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

Last year there was a court case that got national attention and I was amused to see the Cadets and Deputies suddenly wearing ties, which I'd never seen them do before, and I saw one of the out-of-town reporters fiercely tell a deputy that she would hold him responsible if the equipment in her news van was stolen as she was dissatisfied with the parking, and I could tell he was biting his tongue trying not to laugh.
    That's good to hear. Through I am amused by the idea that no one uses this as an opportunity to wear something silly, but I guess that might get you into trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

I choose to believe that the participants in there wear capes and tall boots and brightly colored costumes.

In San Francisco?

Yes.

Yes we do.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

In San Francisco?

Yes.

Yes we do.
    In this heat!? We need to find you some cute little strappy heels, stat.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

I joke that I have a friend who's always in prison. She's a lawyer who works with convicts on family law.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

10. - Top - End - #760
    Barbarian in the Playground

Only if it's gluten-free, all natural, vegan imported oil soaked rags. I have standards for my kitchen fires.
    I prefer tossing some rags soaked in boiled linseed oil tossed in a pile of recycled paper in a pile next to the gas line.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Ob that sounds lovely.

12. - Top - End - #762

Huh, I wonder what the weather in SF is like.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Barbarian in the Playground

as of 0333 GMT, the weather in san fran is clear with no fronts near by. there is a high pressure to the north west that will keep the skys clear. the temp is 58 F, winds 10 mph from the south, humidity at 88%, dew point 54 F and pressure at 29.97 in. at this time
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

Please, we're from North California, we have no idea how to tolerate variance in temperatures. Anything outside of our comfort zone is reason to panic.

And the last time I went into the city, it had decided to try out this summer business and I was slathering myself in so much sunscreen I left white marks EVERYWHERE.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Please, we're from North California, we have no idea how to tolerate variance in temperatures. Anything outside of our comfort zone is reason to panic....

I can confirm.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Errr... I’ve heard a lot of bad stuff about American prisons, but I’d hope that it would go without saying that prisons generally have plumbing and are owned by the local authorities, yes.

GW
    There are levels at which the local authorities manage them (who goes in and out, though lobbying makes that complicated), and there's generally at least some plumbing. That said ownership is a bit thornier, a lot of them are privatized to at least some degree, some pretty much fully (though not quite to the private police forces enforcing their private law with no oversight. Yet).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    I´m waiting for the result of a co-op experiment to come back. Sorry, I don't know the english term for it and I'm too lazy to look it up, but one of the side products of making beer is the so-called "Treber" (in German), which is basically the half-spent malt used during production. Depending on the type of beer, that's actually still a very high quality product, compared to industrial bakery malts.
    I tried researching this, because we've got a different word for it in Swedish, namely "drav" (the etymologies could be related). Turns out there doesn't seem to be any dedicated word for it in English. "Spent grains" seems to be the most descriptive term.

It´s not proper german if it doesn't sound harsh (*) and it´s not the proper use of the german language if some anglo-weenies don't feel offended, so no worries ;)
    Wait, does this mean you're denying the Anglo-Saxons the Saxon part, or do you consider Saxons weenies? Or do you actually mean Anglo-Danes?

Had some, but rather: still have, some newseelandish Savignon Blanch and some venice lounge music. Life is good.
    Newseelandish? Do you mean New-Zeelandish or Neu-Seelandish?

ION:
    Got my computer back, and wow, the fan output is cool instead of burning hot regardless of CPU load. And I saw my computer hit 100% CPU usage at one point, which I'm pretty sure hasn't happened for a long time, and probably all due to the fact that it would overheat if it did. Niiice~
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

If you unverb the word "lauter" then it seems to work.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Colossus in the Playground

Sweet. Glad your computer trouble's been fixed Teddy!

Meanwhile in Zodi news: I'm probably too generous a person. My Mom needed some assistance paying off a bit of her rent for her bar so she could buy time to finish her taxes so she could get access to her bar's business account so she can pay all of the rent and so she can sell the bar. The amount she needed was 20 000 dollars.

I could pay for it, that leaves me with around 3000 left, but...I mean it stings. It hurts a lot. That's 7 or 8 years of saving and just LIFE, gone. She said she'll pay me back, but we'll see. Additionally this delays my plan of moving to live on my own by six months, less if I get paid back sooner rather than later/never.

But if I didn't do this she'd lose the bar, and since it's tied to the mortgage of the house she'd lose the house, and I live in the house so her losing the house would be less than ideal.

20. - Top - End - #770

Please, we're from North California, we have no idea how to tolerate variance in temperatures. Anything outside of our comfort zone is reason to panic.

And the last time I went into the city, it had decided to try out this summer business and I was slathering myself in so much sunscreen I left white marks EVERYWHERE.
    I can confirm.
    If y'all ever come down here (probably for Atlanta, there's not much else that's really touristy), I recommend October or November. Barring summer overstaying or winter coming early, that weather should feel fine for y'all

Also, sunburns don't hurt me. They itch like crazy, but don't hurt at all. Still very unpleasant, but from what I hear about how it affects everyone else, I think I can't out ahead on that one.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, geez, Zodi… neither of those situations really seems at all ideal. I'm sorry that you've had to be put in that situation. Is there a way that you can make it something official, so that there's a legal record of the transaction and agreement and all, to make sure that you do get the money back? Because that's a good chunk of life, of your work that would be put on the line there.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

And Zodi, I am sorry to hear that. It sounds like you don't really trust your mother to pay you back. Perhaps you could have another relative or friend be aware of the situation to guilt her into paying? Probably not the nicest of things, but meh.

As for Atlanta, it gets to 40 degrees! Do you want me to freeze!?

As for the malt, I vote we steal from the Germans, not the Swedes. Any takers?

23. - Top - End - #773

Something something coldest winter of my life was the summer I spent in San Francisco.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, that's warm enough for a barbeque!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Hey, that's warm enough for a barbeque!

A barbeque?

Whike sitting in an English garden?

Waiting for the sun?

If the sun don't come you get a tan from standing in the English rain?

I am the walrus

Goo goo g'joob, goo goo goo g'joob!

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

Bah, the english don't even know what a barbecue is.

27. - Top - End - #777

So I don't know whether I've talked about this or not, but I recently discovered that northerners have a weird definition for barbecue. Like, down here, barbecue is stuff like pulled pork or ribs or sometimes chicken, but it's a very specific category of food. But other people try to claim that it's anything you cook on a grill. Even to the point of calling any sort of cookout a barbecue. Crazy stuff.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-07-20 at 12:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

So I don't know whether I've talked about this or not, but I recently discovered that northerners have a weird definition for barbecue....

And also definitions further afield.

Sometime last decade when I was an apprentice construction worker a Journeyman steamfitter who said he lived in a tent and would beg my candy bar used to mention that he "barbeques every night".

Another apprentice explained to me thar was a way of saying he smoked something that was then illegal every night.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

So I don't know whether I've talked about this or not, but I recently discovered that northerners have a weird definition for barbecue. Like, down here, barbecue is stuff like pulled pork or ribs or sometimes chicken, but it's a very specific category of food. But other people try to claim that it's anything you cook on a grill. Even to the point of calling any sort of cookout a barbecue. Crazy stuff.
    Barbecue is pulled pork with apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes.

(How to start a fight)

30. - Top - End - #780

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    (How to start a fight)