New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Aziraphales Actually Alliterative And Awesomely Affluent Random Banter #104

Emerson Cod makes me laugh. Does anyone know the trope in which a TV series gets better between seasons?

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Aziraphales Actually Alliterative And Awesomely Affluent Random Banter #104

American and British English: Same language, different dialects.

It annoys me to no end when people argue that British English is somehow "better". Also that Football is the correct word for Soccer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Death Knight by Threeshades, Werewolf Knight by boomwolf

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

A dialect can still be wrong, damnit!
    Plus, Football is the proper name for this "Soccer".
    Your "Football" is like our Rugby. Only a bit more wimpy.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with Aziraphale, although American Football isn't so much less wimpy, they wear armour but actually hit into to people rather than grappling them. A bit different although Rugby seems the more natural one.
    I've got sixteen demon roaches, but they ate my cookies.
    My new website/blog:

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zakama View Post
    It annoys me to no end when people argue that British English is somehow "better". Also that Football is the correct word for Soccer.
    Football is the correct word. Your "football" uses hands more than it uses the feet.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2008-10-10 at 12:46 PM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oregano View Post
    but actually hit into to people rather than grappling them.
    Only in the professional leagues.
    As soon as you get into local games, everybody turns into a blood crazed lunatic
    It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    What happened to the other shoe?
    Oh I got bored of it, so I took it off.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Wouldn't taking both of them off have made walking easier? I'm guessing I wouldn't like local American Football games much, right?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

"Going to the chapel and I'm, Gonna get married..."

I am getting married tomorrow!!!!
    I will be out all next week, but I will see you all when I get back.

9. - Top - End - #759

Linguists have given up on trying to decide which variety of English is 'correct'. Nowadays they talk about 'World Englishes' (note plural). You can have 'British English', 'American English', 'Canadian English', 'Australian English', 'New Zealand English', 'South American English', 'Singaporean English', 'Caribbean English', 'Indian English' and so on, ad infinitum. Basically, anywhere that someone can have English as their native language counts as a valid variety of English (and is just as correct as anywhere else). Then you add in the fact that each variety of English probably includes a number of dialects (you'll have the 'educated' dialect, the 'normal' dialect, and the 'street' dialect as a minimum, let alone regional variations)...and well, arguing about what is 'correct' in English just becomes pointless. If somebody uses it and somebody else understands it, then it's valid.

Edit @ TwoBit: Yaaay! Weddings are cool! Have a great one.
    Last edited by dish; 2008-10-10 at 12:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post

Is this the part where I play a funeral dirge or say something like "Don't do it! You've got so much to live for!"?

I'm kidding, you have fun and stuff

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dish View Post
    Linguists have given up on trying to decide which variety of English is 'correct'. Nowadays they talk about 'World Englishes' (note plural). You can have 'British English', 'American English', 'Canadian English', 'Australian English', 'New Zealand English', 'South American English', 'Singaporean English', 'Caribbean English', 'Indian English' and so on, ad infinitum. Basically, anywhere that someone can have English as their native language counts as a valid variety of English (and is just as correct as anywhere else). Then you add in the fact that each variety of English probably includes a number of dialects (you'll have the 'educated' dialect, the 'normal' dialect, and the 'street' dialect as a minimum, let alone regional variations)...and well, arguing about what is 'correct' in English just becomes pointless. If somebody uses it and somebody else understands it, then it's valid.

Edit @ TwoBit: Yaaay! Weddings are cool! Have a great one.
    Singlish! That's one hell of an accent. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad one, but they've got a very distinctive accent.

Oddly enough, I kinda miss hearing Singlish.
    This avatar by Phase.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Only in the professional leagues.
    As soon as you get into local games, everybody turns into a blood crazed lunatic
    It's awesome.
    That's why I prefer Rugby; it actually has rules about when it's OK to pound someone's head into the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post

Excellent. I've just about got the slarp heated up to an ideal temperature for your pre-nuptial dephlurination and nodrum membling.

Gentleman; as designated Archgroddler for this evening I hereby request that you don the traditional frottling garb and make sure your gludge-whemblers are suitably pliant. Ladies (and those of a sensitive disposition); you may wish to leave about now...

(ours is an ancient and complex culture )

@v: Poor Curly' and her unwilling rustication. It be like Robert Louis Stephenson' "Kidnapped", except with added magical mystery tour lunacy.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-10-10 at 01:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #763

OH MY GOD COULD MY DAY GET ANY MORE STRESSFUL??!!

I had to run from my bus (which arrived late) to return Tess and Jules Verne to the library, and then run to where an office to pay for UCAS and then run to French.
    Made it just in time; plus I got to take out Anasi Boys (wanted to yesterday, but they froze my book loaning account - I'm on pg 207 though, loving it) so not bad.
    I caught up all the work I missed in Classics, Med His and E Lit today as well. Got set a timed essay to do over the weekend on Keats - blarg, but fun blarg. Love Keats.
    E Lang was amazing. We watched Borat and Ali G. It does link in somehow, but noone really cared.
    But oh, by mountain striding Zeus, the bus ride home.

We left on time. Four thirty. We went the right way. And then when we should have been on the dual carriageway . . . we weren't.
    Now imagine if you will an L.
    Heck:
    L
    If you turn it upside down that would be the basic route for college to home, but with a little detour through one town. And did we do this?
    No.
    The straight line turned into a fleepin' 'S' halfway down. We had well - controleld mass panic. And he went the slowest you could go on the motorways. And the bus that didn't even arrive at college until twenty to four still beat us home because they took the dual carriageway.
    Also, the moron who was our bus driver nearly took the wrong turning at the second to last roundabout which would have put abour seventy people aboooouuuuut five miles away from the station which, in itself, is on average of three miles away from their homes.
    Complete stress.
    For the entire bus.
    I nearly had a heart attack when I looked up from my book (I was engrossed) and the bus was in a freakin' country lane.
    Thought I'd gotten on the wrong bus and was going to end up in North Cornwall or some other version of hell on earth. Oh, and that's many tens of pounds of train fare away from home.
    And I have no phone and no way to contact home once I leave the house.

EDIT:
    @Eggy: Totally agree with you.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2008-10-10 at 01:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #764

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    Plus, Football is the proper name for this "Soccer".
    No. Not true. Give me one good reason that Football is the proper name, and Soccer is wrong.
    Last edited by Zakama; 2008-10-10 at 02:55 PM.
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

No. Not true. Give me one good reason that Football is the proper name, and Soccer is wrong.
    Becuase our Football is an Olympic Sport, making it recognised by the world at large, and yours isn't?
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

There may not be a reason for 'soccer' to be wrong, but calling it football makes perfect sense. You play a game in which you, primarily, kick a ball around. Much more logical than calling a game football and then running around carrying the darn thing.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

17. - Top - End - #767

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    There may not be a reason for 'soccer' to be wrong, but calling it football makes perfect sense. You play a game in which you, primarily, kick a ball around. Much more logical than calling a game football and then running around carrying the darn thing.
    See, here I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with calling it Football either. Soccer is just the way it evolved in America, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Jibar: But you don't even have an American Football league. At least we do. But I don't want this to turn into a "My Country is better" argument, as it seems you Brits itp always do...
    Last edited by Zakama; 2008-10-10 at 03:04 PM.
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

Jibar: But you don't even have an American Football league. At least we do. But I don't want this to turn into a "My Country is better" argument, as it seems you Brits itp always do...
    Ah, foolish young Padawan. You make the mistake that there was ever any argument that our country was better. It's been that way since we ruled half the world.
    Nothing but a Nobody

19. - Top - End - #769

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Ah, foolish young Padawan. You make the mistake that there was ever any argument that our country was better. It's been that way since we ruled half the world.
    This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about... It's kinda annoying.
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Jibar: But you don't even have an American Football league. At least we do.
    That means it can't be the real football, several countries play what you call soccer only American's play American Football, see there's Football, which is soccer, or there's the national footballs(like Gaelic and American).

EDIT: It's because we're British, it's what we do.
    Last edited by Oregano; 2008-10-10 at 03:10 PM.
    My new website/blog:

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by Oregano View Post
    That means it can't be the real football, several countries play what you call soccer only American's play American Football, see there's Football, which is soccer, or there's the national footballs(like Gaelic and American).

EDIT: It's because we're British, it's what we do.
    Who's to say it's the "real" Football? It's just different sports with the same name. No one sport is the "real" Football.
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

I find it amusing. Also, I'm pretty sure Jibbers was joking.

Anyways, I feel I must inform you all of this curious phenomena I'm experiencing. Since starting my job several months ago, heavy things have gotten lighter. Much lighter. It's actually kind of scary. I used to have trouble carrying more than two cases of pop around, but now I can manage four easily. And I've developed a pair of these weird sort of bulgy, ripply things on my arms.

Any idea what's causing this?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #773

Anyways, I feel I must inform you all of this curious phenomena I'm experiencing. Since starting my job several months ago, heavy things have gotten lighter. Much lighter. It's actually kind of scary. I used to have trouble carrying more than two cases of pop around, but now I can manage four easily. And I've developed a pair of these weird sort of bulgy, ripply things on my arms.

Been bitten by any radioactive insects recently?

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Erm, you're possessed, there's a symbiote?

I say it's the real football because Americans seem to be the only ones that think otherwise. Well some other people but I'm British, I have to argue this point.
    My new website/blog:

25. - Top - End - #775

You don't happen to actually drink the stuff you lug around? I hear tell those things glow in the dark, and that can't be good for you.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2008-10-10 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, any of those are possible. I shall have to look into this. The insect thing is probably out though, unless you count mosquitoes. Do those have good eyesight? Mine hasn't fixed itself yet...

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #777

Sure, but that doesn't make it less annoying.
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, but that doesn't make it less annoying.
    It's part of our cultural identity, we can laugh about it though because that's another part of our identity, I have to know about Britishness for Film Studies(which you wouldn't expect).
    My new website/blog:

29. - Top - End - #779

Hmmm, any of those are possible. I shall have to look into this. The insect thing is probably out though, unless you count mosquitoes. Do those have good eyesight? Mine hasn't fixed itself yet...
    Well fine then, but don't come crying to me when you're flitting around stagnant water with an insatiable thirst for blood...

30. - Top - End - #780

Oh dear.
    You're becoming a jock. First you get these parasites called 'muscles' and they start devouring your brain.
    The only way to combat this is to stay in as long as possible, read, surf the internet and eat as unhealthily as possible. The 'muscles' will remain, but they won't eat your precious brain as they'll be too busy trying to stay alive under the barrage of geekery.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!