1. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XV: "More People Should Be Punched In The Head."

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Nope, because those 3 darklances are placed on a vehicle that might fall appart from a stiff breeze, making it much easyer to deal with.
    Check again. You can't shoot them (at least on the first turn) because there are Raiders-turned-sideways blocking LoS. And I can do that all game. If they can survive the first turn, they'll be moving 12" a turn behind more terrain (or I'll just move the Raiders in front of them as well if they aren't destroyed) and whatnot shooting 3 Dark Lances a turn. Worse if you give them Flickerfields and Night Shields (which are both undercosted for how amazing they are).

Yes, it looks nasty, but not worse than what i have seen from either BA, SW or IG.
    Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

BA Assault Squad (x5) - 165 Points
    Meltagun
    + Plaserback

Grey Hunters (x5) - 155 Points
    Meltagun
    + Plaserback

DE Warriors (x5) - 115 Points
    Blaster
    + Venom [Flickerfield]

The only difference is the squads is that the Marines have Power Armour. They output the same amount of fire, except that Splinter Rifles are better because Poison rules. The Meltaguns for the Marines can't shoot whilst they're in the Razorback - which is a drawback. Wheras a Blaster will blow the vehicle, and the Venom will shoot what comes out, and the Warriors are still safe inside the vehicle.

What? AV10? Who cares? I'll take my Invulnerable against that. If I fail, it's no different to any other vehicle getting shot by a Lascannon so what's the difference?

...You also note the -40 point difference.

Imperial Guard, on the other hand, are better because Veterans in Chimeras have Fire Points as well as weapons and that comes out at 155 points if you're doing it right. But that's why Imperial Guard are the best army in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Just to be clear, this is a rough draft.
    That's what [Word Processor of your choice] is for.

Wolf Guard: [...] When you first at the Wolf Guard's spot in your army list, the first thing you'll notice is the sheer amount of options they have; Wolf Guard alone take up an entire page in the army list.
    That isn't exactly a good thing though. Since most of the options are irrelevant or not useful. Which just makes it confusing.

Personally, Powerfist+Combi-melta is my favorite all-purpose squad leader wolf guard setup.
    Are there any other good setups, or is that the only good one? When is a good time to take Combi-Flamers? Should I take them at all? Just because this is your favourite setup, does that make it the only setup?

What's the unit(s) that benefits from Wolf Guard most? Or is that dealt with in later unit entries?

What about a squad of PAWGs? Because Logan makes them Scoring and that's amazing. How do I outfit them then? Should I run them up the board and gear them for combat giving them all Wolf Claws 'cause that sounds cool! Or do I hold them on my backline shooting Combi-Plasmas and Storm Bolters? What's a good way to utilize Logan's ability? Are Wolf Guard as good as Sternguard? How do they compare?

Wolf Guard Terminators: [Very little explanation except to say that they aren't Deathwing.]
    But those Terminator models are awesome and I want to have some. I don't want to play Deathwing, so I'm only taking five or so, or just one unit anyway. What do I do with them if giving them Hammers and Shields is expensive?

[Cheesegear says; Just because a particular unit set up is 'the best', it doesn't mean that all other options become invalid. There are bad options, of course, but good options don't become bad because they aren't the best. Go back over my newer Guides (Grey Knights and Tyranids especially), and notice that I include many instances of 'if you want' and 'if you don't like this option'. Of course, there are some options like Purifiers with Halberds that are just so good and so cheap that there is absolutely no reason to take anything else. But those instances are rare. Although, Long Fangs with Missiles is one.]

Arjac Rockfist: [...] He is exactly as good as he sounds. IF he were an HQ choice, he'd be downright broken. As he is, he's still fantastic. Just remember, he doesn't actually give his squad stubborn since he isn't an independent character.
    But where does he go? He can't go in my Plaserbacks as a Squad Leader with my Grey Hunters because he's a Terminator and you said that Wolf Guard Terminators weren't very good. So what's up with that? He might be really amazing but I can't seem to figure out where to put him?

[Also remember that he is not an Independent Character, which means he can't be targeted, which means he essentially has 2+(# models around him) Wounds, which really does make him an unstoppable force.]

Dreadnaught: Dreadnaughts are essentially mobile fire platforms. The stock space wolves dreadnaught comes with an Assault cannon, which is pretty good. More help on this section would be appreciated.
    See Codex Marines. You can't go far wrong with Twin-Linked Autocannons. Twin Heavy Flamers (one Twin-Linked as well) is cheap and isn't bad if you're in a Drop Pod since most Space Wolf armies tend to be shooty and cover saves will always wreck shooty armies.

The issue is that one Elites choice will always be taken by Wolf Guard (always!), unless you have Logan. And Wolf Scouts are just the bomb. So, yeah, it's actually kind of hard to find a place for Dreads in a Space Wolf army since Long Fangs are already doing it and don't compete in Heavy Slots for anything else.

...But they do work in Logan armies where your Elite slots aren't bogged down. But Logan armies tend to be in higher points brackets.

Venerable Dreadnaught: For 60 more points than a dreadnaught, you get an extra point of WS and BS, the ability to take a saga of majesty, and you can make your opponent reroll on the vehicle damage table if they rolled a result you don't like. Is this worth it? I don't know. I've never played with any sort of walker, so I can't say.
    Not really. Again, see above for my take on Wolf Dreadnoughts and how they just don't fit in the Space Wolf lists. And now start paying more points for something you don't really need.

Iron Priests: [...] One possible use is to use them as a mini-thunderwolf cavalry and have them fight alongside 4 Cyberwolves, but good luck getting all the models for that.
    The new Finecast sets released like a month ago makes it totally easy.

Wolf Scouts pack: These guys, with a good bit of close combat wargear, will put the fear of the emperor in gunline armies before they even step onto the battlefield. In general, Space Wolves scouts tend to either be totally amazing, or blow it completely.
    But if they're geared for Close Combat, how do they open my opponent's three Predators he has on his back edge? Is it ever worth giving them Rifles? My opponent plays with three units of Scorpions or like, 30+ Kroot and Scouts, how do I set up for Infiltration denial? Is Behind Enemy Lines the only reason to take them?

Grey Hunters: (Protip: Save points on the powerfist and give it to the wolf guard battle leader instead!).
    You might need to explain that one. Keep in mind that you need at least 3 Wolf Guard to take any Wolf Guard at all.

They also do a good job riding around in a rhino or razorback with meltaguns.
    I don't want to play Mech. Are Foot Wolves any good? (Hint; They are) How do I set up for that since I'm never going to get in range with my Meltaguns so what's good?

Blood Claws: I really don't like blood claws even when they aren't spending the entire game trying to kill a land raider with krak grenades; To make them work, you really need a delivery system for them, and a Land raider is the only one that's going to work. And land raiders are expensive.
    So, a unit of 15 with a Wolf Priest (Fearless) on foot is a bad idea? And then another unit of 15 with Ragnar is also bad? And then three more (with Wolf Guard) in Land Raiders is terrible?

...Wait, you mean none of those are bad ideas? Oh, carry on.

Lukas the Trickester: Pelt of the Doppegangrel would be awsome if he was an independent character, but Lukas isn't so it's not.
    [...]And last laugh is unpredictable and as likely to annihilate half his squad as it is to take out something valuable.
    False. Due to not being an Independent Character, unless you're doing something weird, Lukas will always be the last to die - and that's where Pelt comes in. So he wont kill any of his friends, ever.

Rhino:The humble rhino is a cheep way for your grey hunters to get from point a to point b. Since it has two fire points, your grey hunters can fire a pair of meltaguns or plasma guns out of them. The upgrades aren't really worth it, in my opinion. Rhinos are good because their cheap, and upgrading them makes them... not cheap.
    Do Wolf Guard go in Rhinos?

Drop Pod: Multi-melta Long fangs right into the thick of things.
    Care to explain that one? Multi-Meltas are Heavy weapons and wont do anything out of a Drop Pod. Of course, I know the answer, but it isn't written, which it needs to be.

Is a full Drop Wolf list any good?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-04-08 at 10:35 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome