View Single Post

Thread: Fallout 76. Worried? Excited? Both?

1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Fallout 76. Worried? Excited? Both?

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Who's mad? I hope you don't think I'm mad.
    I wasn't talking about you, there.

Pretty sure you just said the last 5 minutes of ME sucked, seems they do go hand in hand.
    That isn't what I said.

You were talking about the ending as if that was all people were interested in
    Why is New Vegas better than Fallout 3?
    If your first answer is "Because multiple endings Because (it feels like) actions have consequences." as posters have said, then we're already at a disagreement.

The whole thing goes together.
    The cue cards is effectively "But what happens when Aragorn is King? What happens to Legolas and Gimli? I need to know the consequences of their actions."
    It doesn't matter what happens after Aragorn is crowned King, because the story is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    How many people do you know who stop reading a book at the last chapter and say "I don't care how this ends, I enjoyed reading the book itself!"
    That is literally how The Dark Tower ends seven books. Stephen King literally puts in a bit, shattering the fourth wall, before the last Chapter of seven books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Do you not enjoy books? Films? Serialized television series? Have you never been emotionally invested in a plot or character in any of the above?
    Of course I have. When it's good. When it's bad...Well, they're fictional characters, it doesn't actually matter. Move on.

If you've not felt that before...I'm sorry for you, I guess. Maybe go see a psychologist?
    Maybe it's because I've seen a psychologist that it's so easy to let go of fictional characters when they start sucking.
    Everything in a video game is scripted. The 'consequences' of your actions were already pre-determined well before you picked up the game. Your choices don't matter. At all. Because it's a scripted game.

You will never have true agency in any game. Because everything you can do, is what the game-makers let you do.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    And I agree with Cheesegear: Why let the story bother you? If bad writing is going to keep you from enjoying a game, you're going to find a lot less joy in gaming than you otherwise might. Ultimately, the older you get, the less uncritical reception you're going to give to anything; movies, TV, people, anything.
    I gave up on games having good writing about a decade ago. If a game has good writing, that's great. But it isn't a negative, if it has bad writing, if the gameplay is still good, because it's game first, story second.

See, I thought Fallout 3's ending was narrative; The game begins with your birth, ends with your death. Closed loop. Structurally, it makes sense. But, apparently it matters a great deal to people, whether their character is dead or not dead after the game is over - and they no longer get to play anyway. So much so that the ending had to be changed.

Sure, but I don't think the fallacy isn't applicable in this case. Lots of people watch reality TV.
    Yeah, and it's really easy to know why.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-06-05 at 09:53 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome