New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 'We live, as we dream — alone ...' [In Character]

"And you would prefer the corrupt, the selfish and the blind to rule over his flock instead? I do not agree to our rule but it is clear enough that the stewards are failing."

A faithful servant was one to be admired, though a zealot, simply unpredictable. He had gained some respect in Mercut's eyes however.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Eager to de-escalate what appears to be a course ending in space marines brawling over the Convoke table (he's thankful that the bait was not risen to), Cadma puts in hastily.

So, brothers, I thank you for being at least open to the suggestion. Brother Egar of the Dark Angels, fear not, for we are deciding nothing at this meeting, merely informing, a ... 'sneke pique', I believe the Old Terran term for it was. If chaos-tainted this work is, then the Convoke can and will strike it down - and you and your successors will be vindicated in the suspicion that is your wont, but so often justified.

And Father Dariel? Whereabouts would you stand?
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2009-02-27 at 07:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

The doors to the convoke are thrown open, a servitor backing through the entryway.

"-rohibted from interrupting the ceremony at this point-" is all the servitor gets out before the lumbering form of the Grey Knight barges his way into the active session. A dataslab carried in one hand, and his helm carried in the other. Novare's eyes flicker briefly across the assembled marines, as he strides without restraint to center of the room "Honored breathern," Novare begins, "I apologize for my breech of protocol, but we are about to be ambushed. The secrecy of this facility has been compromised and even as I speak the enemy approaches under concealment." he pauses a moment to let that fact register. Raising the dataslate for all to see, "Here is all the information that proves this.."

Moving towards the data projector he quickly hooks it up to the dataslate he carries and projects the data for the room's inspection. "The data is far from complete but it does present what looks to be simply.. Giant Mirrors being used to mask three independant sections of the surrounding region of space." pausing a moment to allow everyone to complete reviewing the data scrolling past, "Whoever is slowly surrounding us may have also compromised some of the systems of this facility, but as it currently stands there is no proof of that."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

We've been compromised? By what?

A look of annoyance crosses his face as he takes his helmet from his side and dons it, quickly followed by a check of his flamer...which he quickly remembered was in his quarters.
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-02-28 at 10:21 AM.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon hearing the news, each of the three react in different, and, to be honest, somewhat predictable ways.

Brother Orge leaps up, smashing a power-sheathed fist straight through the table in a gesture of anger, as if he'd been recommending some sort of anti-ambush precaution after all, and these idiots at the convox had ignored his sage advice.

Master Boreale says nothing, but simply rises, and calmly leaves.

It's up to Cadma to provide a cogent response, and even he is stunned.

Ambush ... but, but we have no combat air patrol! There are barely enough gunners as it is - we couldn't bring any more - the Convoke.

Gentlemen - you may wish to retrieve your weapons. It looks like we may have a boarding action on our hands - either with us, or with them.

The Celestial Lion is distracted, and not really concentrating on the present company - he's scanning through data fed by the Redemptoris Missio itself into his helmet.

6. - Top - End - #66

"Bork me..."

Gevurah's bewilderment lasts for but a moment, then a lifetime of subliminal learning and rote responses kick in and the Blood Angel is all business. His skull faced helmet slots into its vacuum seals with a solid ker-chunk-hiss and he starts moving purposefully towards the exit. Reaching the door he corners a templar cenobite:

+Servitor, bring me my arms and symbol of office, with all haste+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-02-28 at 08:55 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Librarian Lucius Egar

Lucius does not speak he just walks calmly after Master Boreale.

These men were fools and here was their punishment.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

8. - Top - End - #68

The Grey knight raises an eyebrow as the convoke moves suddenly in 8 different directions. Pulling a convoke servitor aside himself he issues it orders to retrieve his gear for him, before turning back to the assembled forces. "Now is not the time to be divided in our efforts, now is the time to unite around a single plan of action, whoever arranged this convoke needs to assemble the forces here into a unified force." a pause as he meets the gaze of each of the Marines actively listening at this point, "We know nothing of who, or what numbers we face. Surely whoever arranged this has advanced sensors ships to help ascertain what approaches. That said.." pointing to the displayed map, "A plan has been suggested that a single ship moves directly outward between these two blind points, forcing the two there to react.. This will in effect either cause them to abandon their ambush, and move into a direct assault or.." again repeating the animation of points "Cause them to draw back those two points to carefully eliminate the offending ship. This may be a worthwhile sacrifice if it allows us to create a assault on the single blind point rather then deal with all three once they hit the convoke here. That is of course assuming the objective is to take out the leadership presented here." he allows that information to settle in, "Additionally, while this may be unrelated, but the same group of acolytes that uncovered this data also found ancient Demiurg remains on one of the nearby moons."

Novare takes a breath before he continues, "So I agree we all need to immediately begin preparing for battle, But who is to lead which efforts, and where shall we meet the enemy?" this spoken the Knight looks to the three central leaders, "Because as it stands, time is not an asset we have."
    Last edited by DarkNewton; 2009-02-28 at 09:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Dariel again, finds this whole process distasteful. Too many Astartes from too many different Chapters. This probably wasn't going to end well.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Like his brothers, he orders a servitor to fetch his weapons and ammunition from his quarters. While he waits, he listens to what the remaining Marines are planning.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

A team of servitors depart, leaving the conference room empty of all save the gathered inner circle.

Cadma's attention gradually refocuses to those currently present.

The battle-barge's main batteries can be engaged via an autocycle procedure, should the crews fail. It's deeply inaccurate, not overly kind to the ship's machine spirit, but it should at least give us the necessary cover to launch assault boats. While I'm on the subject, Brothers ...

He consults his notes, then looks at the White Scars and Raven Guard marines.

Tamburlane and Korakas, I believe you know full well about that - go see to it, and Mirarir can assemble a boarding crew of shock troopers. Degalos, you served with Lysander, am I correct? Would you know how to operate the teleportation units? Good.

The others file out of the room.

Marines - I know this is an unexpected turn of events, and I know that you may see this work as ignominous. The fact remains, however, that we need a crew up at that fire control station, and, should we lose it, we are an enormous sitting duck. I can use the lighting systems to illuminate a path for you; we can use the terminal at the other end to walk you through it. You'll want your weapons, but, once you have them, go!

Perhaps a minute later, the servitors return, each with the weapons and equipment that we taken earlier. Their suspicious speed suggests that they were not cached in your rooms at all.
    [hr]
    Lucius may be following Boreale, but the shiny-pated Blood Raven seems to have other ideas. Infused with a new purpose, he strides off with an increasing speed towards the Redemptoris Missio's CIC, down in the depths of the ship.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2009-03-01 at 09:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72

+Fire Control?+

Gevurah pauses to slam a fresh magazine of inferno rounds into his bolt pistol and racks the slide in a short, practiced jerk. His armor hums to new life as the machine spirit of the gun happily mates with his helmet's integrated targeting systems. Reticles, laser designators and an ammo counter swim into view above the already present array of life signs and instrument readings. He is truly a marine now.

+Brother Dariel, this is your area of expertise, lead on.+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-01 at 11:51 AM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

After a quick reequipping and check of his weapons, Constantine follows the lights to his new duty station.

Fire control? As the Emperor wills.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucius increased the speed of his pace as the chapter master increases his. He does his best to keep up but does not make a sound except the quick clinking of his boots on metal.

15. - Top - End - #75

Seeing as finally a leader has stepped forward and begun assigning duties. Novare Sacantus bows his head briefly accepting his orders.

Moving quickly the Knight retrieves his gear from the servitor, moving to a edge of the room he begins the rights of preparations. He systematically goes through his armor, chanting all the while. Shifting he draws out the full ammo tray from his back, carefully checking the ammo alignment, he reattaches the belt feed housing before sliding it back into place. Going over his storm bolter now, he reassembles the weapon from mounting to feed cowl. Rising now he pulls the belt feed out and around and reattaches it to his forearm mount. Lifting his helm he pulls it back on and twists it back on with a brief sucking noise as the armors environmental systems restablize. Lifting his halberd now from where it had lain, the Grey Knight bows his head, and finishes the rite.

Spinning the weapon briefly to allow it to slide into the adjustable bracket just over his shoulder, the Knight is once again complete.

Wasting no extra time, he moves to follow the other marines as they head to the fire control station. Taking up a post among the other marines present.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Harold and Kumar go to Fire Control

Spoiler
    Show
    As you proceed through the lit network of tunnels, the array of floor-level cathode tubes igniting one after another, vaguely mirroring a fast walking pace, Cadma's voice crackles over the wireless suit-mics.

I'm using a narrow microwave beam to load up the terminal remotely, it looks as if your job might be easier than anticipated. It will only need one of you to authenticate your genomic patterns, and then our defences will be ready. Good luck, and may the Empe- what? Show me that. Good luck, Brothers. Well, I've never ...

His voice drops out of audibility as he moves away from the microphone. You can tell from the sort of doors you're passing that you're nearing the fire control unit. Machine spirits hum contentedly in enormous, ancient arrays of super-cogitators.

With Boreale

Spoiler
    Show
    Walking through the narrow and twisting corridors of the ship with the Blood Ravens Chapter Master, you can't help but feel that you're not going to fire control. Corridors get dustier, decoration becomes more antiquely ornamented, and, ever so gradually, your path becomes greater, not twisting but rather cutting through as it ramps up staircases and great elevators. You come to a door, that, from the subtly weaker gravity, feels as if it is towards the top of the ship.

Boreale turns, smiles.

I tehk it you disehpprove of theh Convock's stehted golls?

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want translation from Indrick Boreale to English, try reading it out loud.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

I dislike the convokes goals quite a bit. I also find it quite peculiar that you being a chapter master were not only present but one of only two non first founding in the convoke and that those who came with us that did not have that linage were made to stay out of the convoke. Can you explain this he paused for a moment as he lets his words come to mind once more. peculiar state of affairs. To add on to all that I have already said you are now not moving to defend the ship at the weapons but walking to an unknown location. Do explain this.

Lucius squares his shoulder as he looks the chapter master in the eye.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Constantine pauses...something doesn't seem right. He racks his brain to figure out what it is...

19. - Top - End - #79

Gevurah arrives at the fire control center a little bit behind the rest and begins hunting for some device that would verify his geneseed. He spots Dae's hesitation.

+Something on your mind brother?+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-03 at 08:08 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Boreale
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boreale's smile widens.

Aboht my presehence at the Convock? Well, it is paartly ohn accont of my sehniorty here - theh ohnly Chapter Marster who culd come - and alsoh, Son ohf Jonson, yours is nort the oanly Chapter to carry ahn extensive sehcret histohrry. I hohpe yoou catch my drihft.

As foar theh otherh two, Cardmah is theh marster ohf this ship, and hour host; Orgeh ... wehll, theh Angreh Mehreens I keep clohs. Even for Astartees, their clairty is cutting and their lollty known. And theh weppons? Well ...

He swings open the damascened door in front of you. Within rests a complex piece of equipment, like a psychic hood, but larger - almost like a Titan Princeps' rig. The Chapter Master walks over to it.

... you of hall people shuld know the impoartance ohf theh maind in stratehgy. Theh Blud Rehvens priyze thihs.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Something about this doesn't seem right. Why would the controls need our genescan to work...and only one genescan? They should already be programmed for us...

Spoiler
    Show
    My lore could be off, and probably is, but that doesn't seem like standard procedure....if it is, let me know and I'll edit this post.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It does seem a very odd way of working, but not necessarily something wrong. Whoever set the authentication up did so with the minimum of data necessary for transmission over the Battle Barge's systems; they locked it as much as possible (ergo a genescan) with the smallest message (only needing one scan).

23. - Top - End - #83

Following the lighted pathway, Novare makes his way into the fire control point just behind the other marines. The large grey knight slowly looking over the aged equipment. At the instructions over the comms the knight looks to the scanning station and shifts his gaze to the other marines, seeing no volunteers he moves to the controls and hooks a coms port on his suit into the station, letting his internal medicae setup synch and verify his geneseed before trying to inspect the station's systems to ensure the control points come online.

"I believe this might work.. " his gaze flipping back to Constantine a small casual shrug, "There would be better ways to deceive us then dragging us out here and asking us to touch a machine" prehaps the knight.. is just too trusting?

24. - Top - End - #84

+Hmm... perhaps they are simply running light?+

Gevurah makes to pull at his beard, a habitual contemplative gesture that became engrained as a neophyte, that is back when he had a beard. As it stands now he's simply stroking his helmet's ivory chin.

+Regardless, let's get these systems online. What do I have to poke to get a geneotype verification around here?+

He finishes his sentence just as the Grey Knight does exactly that.

+Oh, very good then, what now?+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-03 at 08:48 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Brother Harbough Mercut

"The mind is a powerful weapon but relying on a single point of failure is idiotic, no matter how much i trust a friendly wielder of the warp, i never cease to drop my aim."

Feeling out of place in the entire situation, he stands ready for further orders.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

With Boreale

Spoiler
    Show
    Hah, buht whaht else for a lehtent psykeh? I culd haf mehd librehrien, buht cohmand behcond. Norntheless, if my prehdictions ahr cohrrect, this is oar oanly orption. Yoar friends up aht fire cohntrol were either too leht, oar they unknohwingly provoked this. I rehgret that I soar this coming ever sihnce you came aboard; nornetheless, my lack ohf action is behcause thihs is the only way anyone of us wouhld survive.

Without warning, an unimaginable tearing noise, of great shearing and liquefying metal sheeting, erupts not two hundred metres away from you.

I ahm soarry, men. Buht dhou you see now?

Fire Control

Spoiler
    Show

As the machine synchs with Sacentus' armour, a screen unfolds from its side. Upon it is described in fleeting lines a golden lion on an azure background, and from it emanates the pre-recorded voice of an Order Famulus Locutor, perfectly enunciated, with all the right intonations and all the right stresses. The speech system, however, leaves something to be desired.

Hello -fffft Novare Sacentus, Brother of the Grey Knights.

Initiating warm up cy-cy-cycle for autocycle three-point-one.

All systems are n-n-n-nominal and all is well on this most fine day of the Emperor's reign.

Something strange happened to the speech of the machine. Its screen distorted and flared for just a moment, but it was there.

The display reshuffles itself to instead display a white circle, with a growing red slice taken out of it. It imperceptibly increase in size, until the display begins to show a red circle with a shrinking white slice. As it reaches approximately the size of a slice - the red portion helpfully labelled '74%', the lights go dead. This sudden harbinger is followed by a distant, hissing, tearing sound. It's not the instantaneous, sonic whip-crack of high impact, nor the rumbling shock of an explosion, but it did have a definite ... structural sound to it.

An almost imperceptible breeze begins to waft past your faces.

27. - Top - End - #87

Gevurah is about to mention something about the oddness of the machine spirit when the rather ugly noise makes itself known.

+What was-+

A faint brush of air comes in through the vents under the jaw of his helmet. The subtle change in air pressure puzzles him for a moment before he realizes what just happened and his hearts stop.

+We need to leave, now+
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-03-05 at 12:46 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Constantine

Constantine's face grows slightly pale at the wind and his brothers words. Quickly, he closes and seals his helmet.

Indeed. If we've been breached already, we need to move. I suggest we head for either the armory or the interior of the ship.
    Last edited by Krrth; 2009-03-05 at 01:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucius's eyes flash at the mention of secrets and the vague outline of a sword appears in his hand. But his anger subsides when the noise erupts behind him.

What heresy is this? What did you foresee and why did you allow us to walk into it.

Lucius looks behind him quickly to try and spot what caused the noise but quickly turns to keep his eye on the chapter master.

Spoiler
    Show

make and awareness test to try and find the location of the noise
    per 32+20(skill) +10 (for locating by hearing alone but more would be better = 52(62)
    (1d100)[68]
    perception

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

As the brother turns his head he is informed of little and he curses under his breath. The space around him crackles with unknown energy and a small crack is heard at his hands. At his hands the warp energy still crackles in lazy arcs from finger to knuckle to wrist and back again causing his hands to look like balls of electricity. In his right hand he hold his boltgun dark red glyphs slowly vanishing along the sides. The lightning crawls up his arms and plays along his armor and seem to jump into his eyes where it begins to play over his pupils.

Crunch
    Spoiler
    Show

Half action to use the minor power Call Item To grab his boltgun from the armory. (not using to much power as it is not needed)
    (1d10+5)[8] (Power threshold 5)
    Than he Allows his mind to flow out and through the walls and even into space. Half action manifest minor power Sense Presence
    (2d10+5)[10][1](16) (power threshold 7) (sense all living creatures within in 70 meters (forgot the +1 from power well) unless there is 1m of wall between me and them)
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2009-03-05 at 05:18 PM.