New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: d20 zombie apocalypse

The night passes with out any hitch. All is quiet although rarely in the distance shots can be heard. The three zombies by the entrance moved on back down the stairs to feast on the burnt carcasses of the other zombies. The group sleeps well enough for being involved in a zombie outbreak.

Dawn breaks over the city. It is cold in the early hours of the day and the group wakes from a mildly satisfying sleep. The city is covered in smoke from various fires and this has been accentuated by the thick clouds over New York. As the group starts slowly collecting their items it begins to rain lightly at first, then heavily. The group is protected in the trainstation but it is hardly an ideal place to stay long term. Any movement will be depressing and wet. Now the group must decide what they want to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    As the group wakes up they realise they feel more experienced and more certain of their own abilities. Everyone is now level 2. Adjust your sheets as necessary.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hattoriko Ai

Come dawn, she set to work with diligence and discipline. Noticing the rain, she donned an urban camouflage poncho with a big hood. She laid out the various armaments and items at her disposal, and said that everyone could take their pick as long as it wasn't a Grenade or a Mine. These weapons had civilian licenses, hopefully her punishment would not be too harsh. She didn't want to leave anything behind that someone dangerous could use. And they would not technically leave her sight.

There was one thing -- she made a point of instructing everyone in their proper use with great solemnity, getting Chad's help, if needed. She did not listen to any complaints about the lecture.

Ai rearranged her equipment and carefully picked a new load, exchanging the American M4 Carbine and its magazines with a more familiar Howa Type 89-F.

She also left a flashlight out, and spread a tactical map on the floor so someone could plan the group's route through the city. She checked on Ryan, and then spoke briefly with Chad.

"I need your help to carry the explosives. I cannot imagine why we would need them, though I am certain we will."

Items
    Spoiler
    Show
    Barrett Light Fifty Sniper Rifle (11 in Magazine)
    HK MP5 (30 in Magazine)
    M4 Carbine (28 in Magazine, plus 3 full Magazines ammunition. Illuminator+Laser Sight+Suppressor)

.50 caliber Ammunition Box (19 Cartridges left)
    9mm Ammunition Box (97 Cartridges left)
    9mm Frangible Ammunition Box (57 Cartridges left)
    5.56mm Ammunition Box (18 Cartridges left)
    5.56mm Armor Piercing Ammunition Box (200 Cartridges left)

(2x) Fragmentation Grenade
    (6x) Smoke Grenades
    (6x) Flash Bang Grenades
    (3x) Tear Gas Grenade
    (1x) Booby Trap Kit
    (3x) Claymore Mine
    (1x) Tactical Vest
    (10x) Road Flare
    (5x) Microphone Headeset with video camera attachment
    (1x) Forced Entry Kit
    (1x) Capture Kit
    (2x) Medical Kit

(1x) Upgraded Notebook Computer
    (1x) Digital Camera
    (1x) Snake-Eye Lens
    (2x) Urban Camouflage Compact
    (1x) BDUs (black, sized for a man)
    (1x) BDUs (black, sized for a woman)

Some Weights
    Fragmentation Grenade (1lb. each)
    Smoke Grenade (2lbs. each)
    Tear Gas Grenade (2lbs. each)
    Flash Bang Grenade (1lb. each)
    Claymore Mine (2lbs. each)
    Capture Kit (57lbs.)
    Forced Entry Kit (135lbs.)
    Climbing Gear (10lbs.)
    Medical Kit (5lbs.)
    M4 Carbine (7lbs.)
    HK MP5 (7lbs.)
    Barrett Light Fifty (35lbs.)
    Box Magazine (0.5lbs.)

Note
    Ricky S. mentioned there would be personal items around. So if someone needs a flashlight, a glow rod, deodorant, shampoo, soap, a watch, or a bag or a box or a magazine, we can assume it is there. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

So it might be a good idea to get a poncho or an overcoat -- it is raining, and I cannot imagine how your character would feel if you didn't.

(1d8)[6] - Hit Points, 2nd Lv.

Some characters have already mentioned taking ammunition out of the boxes, I do not know how much.
    Last edited by Miyako; 2009-07-25 at 01:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Frank

Frank scrounges up a backpack and an overcoat and takes a headset from the pile. Then he asks Hattoriko a question, "Do you know if a tear gas grenade or a flashbang grenade will affect the zombies? If they don't then we should save them for "looters"" He had changed his mind about the sniper rifle it would only slow him down and although he could give more hurt, he was fine with his pistol.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will see what everyone else takes but Frank has enough for now.
    Last edited by josh13905; 2009-07-25 at 07:24 AM.
    HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO TYPE LIKE THIS?

4. - Top - End - #244

PirateGuy

Phil adds the three walkie talkies left on the floor to the pile of equipment.
    "You want them, than take them, I'd rather carry something that went boom."
    He takes two of the groups Molotovs with him and 36 of the 9mm rounds. He will also search for a lighter, preferably zippo style, a carton of cigarettes if he can find them and anything else of interest.

search: taking 20 for a search of 19

Taking: 36 9mm rounds and two of the Molotovs (if no one objects otherwise just one)

Leaving: 3 walkie talkie for anyone to take

EDIT: If some one could pm me how to spoiler that would be great. I cant find out how to.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2009-07-25 at 05:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

Frank tosses his lighter to Phil when he hears what he's doing, "That should help you."

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler's are made by typing (spoiler) (/spoiler) where ( = [
    Hope you understand.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hattoriko Ai

She was standing near the tactical maps she placed earlier.

"Most public or government buildings are running off backup power. The other buildings were dark. The hospital, naturally, is still powered by its own generators. They will not last long. Zombies seem attracted to light, I do not suggest we go to any of those places. Especially not the hospital -- they would have been obligated to take infected persons under their care."

It was cold, but it was probably correct. She would have been criticized for taking any survivors she found into such a risky place. Patiently waiting (all Japanese were passable at that), Ai kept listening for someone to start discussing where the group would go. She could offer her own suggestion after that.

A few seconds later, she appeared to have changed her mind. She spoke calmly, a person dedicated to helping others, some people might say a heroic personality in every sense of the word. She was not loud, nor was her tone harsh. "There is a slim possibility that someone is working on controlling whatever causes this. Or that there are wounded, or ill survivors. I do not want to leave them behind. I'm going to go to the hospital, you go wherever you like."

She gave everyone her radio frequency, checked her kit and equipment once more, then marched into the rain. She was going to the hospital. She would cross rooftops and lawns, roads, use public transportaton, and utilize any military or public services vehicles she could find.

She will not under any circumstances do anything she believes might break the law. She will not invade private homes unless absolutely necessary for personal survival (such as cutting through a house to avoid zombies).

Along the way, she thought about how her people preferred to follow. Sometimes it was just important that you were doing something, leading by action and hard work, contributing to what was clearly a moral thing.

Ai's updated Sheet
    Spoiler
    Show
    Female Human Fast Hero(2)
    BAB: +1
    Ranged: +4, Custom Howa Type 89-F (2d8 ballistic, Crit. 20, 80ft., 30 Rounds)
    Melee: +2, Rifle Butt (1d6+1 bludgeoning, Crit. 20)
    Defense: 22 HP: 16/16
    Saves: Fort+1, Ref+5, Will+0 Speed: 30ft.

Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Talents: Increased Speed
    Feats: Simple Weapons Proficiency, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Armour Proficiency (medium), Point-Blank Shot, Defensive Martial Arts
    Skill Points: Balance+4, Hide+5, Knowledge (tactics)+5, Move Silently+5, Tumble+4, Read/Write English, Speak English

Equipment
    Spoiler
    Show
    Urban Fatigues
    Female-contoured Light-Duty Vest
    Mesh Vest
    Day Pack
    Urban Camouflage Poncho

Black BDUs (female sized)
    Professional walkie-talkie
    Night Vision Goggles
    Compass

Howa Type 89-F (Illuminator and Laser Sight)
    (3x) 5.56mmAP Box Magazines
    Flash Bang Grenade, Fragmentation Grenade, Smoke Grenade
    Claymore Mine
    Carrying: 41lbs.
    Light Load: More than 43lbs. because of Mesh Vest

Hair: Black Eyes: Brown, excellent visual acuity Build: Athletic
    Nationality: Japanese Gender: Female Age: 18

Ai-san no Howa Type 89-F
    Spoiler
    Show
    Howa Type 89-F
    2d8, Critical 20, 80ft. Range Increment
    13lbs., Large Size, 30 round 5.56mm Box Magazine
    Rate of Fire: S, A
    Restriction: Mil (+3)

Never exported because of strict laws, the Howa Type 89-F is a variant 5.56mm assault rifle used by the Rikujo Jietai. Ai's rifle is custom-built, and made to a higher standard than is usual, conferring a +3 bonus on all attack rolls. It has a folding stock, as well as accessories given to the Tokushu Sakusen Gun. These include a three-point sling, targeting laser, and illuminator.
    Notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ai takes:
    (AP rounds receive a +2 bonus against targets wearing armour)

-1 Claymore Mine
    -1 Fragmentation Grenade
    -120 5.56mmAP rounds
    -1 Urban Camouflage Compact
    -Microphone Headset (prof. walklie talkie)
    -Black BDUs
    -1 Flash Bang Grenade
    -1 Smoke Grenade
    I noticed that my sheet only lists one extra skill, just so it plays properly, I will make the 2nd Military Occupational skill 'Demolitions' and remove one point from Knowledge: Tactics to put it on Demolitions.
    Last edited by Miyako; 2009-07-26 at 02:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247

Every instinct in his head told him this was unnecessary risk, that he didn't have to go save people, they had a chance and he might lose his own by trying to help, but then again if they stuck together then they may have an even better chance of survival. Angry that Hattoriko had just walked off and left him in such a position and angry at the world for making him part of the apocalypse, he turns to the rest, "Look we should all stay together and that means following her, even if it's not to the safest place in the city, at least we'll find medical supplies for injuries."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Chad

"I don't mean to be cold, but that's a horrible idea. We need to get out of here as fast and as safely as we can. If you really want to help people, the best thing we could do is set up a safe haven for survivors."

Spoiler
    Show
    Chad will take some of the equipment and look for a poncho as well.

-2 Claymore Mine
    -1 Fragmentation Grenade
    -Microphone Headset (prof. walklie talkie)
    -1 Flash Bang Grenade
    -1 Smoke Grenade

Does the sniper break down into a smaller size?

9. - Top - End - #249

"I can't use most of that I should be fine thanks anyway."

ooc:Damn not having personal firearms proficiency.
    Last edited by Trodon; 2009-07-27 at 12:07 PM.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

10. - Top - End - #250

As the group discusses what they want to do the day begins to grow more ripe. The chill early morning breeze is replaced with a harsh cold wind. The winf carries other things than the cold bite. It carries the moans of those deceased still walking and the smell of them too. While the trainstation kept them safe for one night, it was by no means, a safe place to stay. Even if it were, it would soon run out of food.

The decision is now up to the group as a whole. Whether to brave the possibly overrun hospital or to escape the city as fast as possible. It is a hard one but one that should not take to long to decide as it is no longer safe to stay in one place for very long.

11. - Top - End - #251

PirateGuy

Phil nods at Chad
    "He's right, we have a plan and its to get out of here as soon as possible. We are the survivors who need help, not some non existent schmo stuck in a zombie breeding ground. Let her go to the hospital if she wants, but shes a dam fool for it."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hattoriko Ai

She did not lower her head in the rain, she challenged the rain to make her bow it. Experience had taught her never to unconsciously look at the ground in front of her feet. She always needed to have strong eyes, always on the horizon, it may have been impolite but it kept her alive.
    Even through her poncho, she could feel the water pounding on her skin -- it was not the same feeling as sweat, but it drove her crazy just the same. She had to get out of it, if only for her own sanity.

It was not just 'getting water in the hair' that bothered a girl. There was cowardice, and failing to understand personal responsibility. Failing to be compassionate.

JSDF Soldiers were Strong, Sharp, and Compassionate. She would bring honour to her coworkers' sacrifices. She could have gone with the others -- it was her mission and duty to help people who might need help. She was obligated to go, it was her pleasure, and it made her feel good. There would be no one to build a shelter for if they were all dead. That group could handle itself, she needed to find another one. They were out there somewhere, she heard the gunshots.

The rain drowned out the rotting smell, the cold wind made her shiver, it was an intense feeling. Sometimes she wondered if it was the Kami trying to make her more vulnerable, more sexual. She could feel the cold even through her clothes, it was like someone was already feeling her up even though no one was there. She didn't have time for that.

Ai found shelter near a building, searching, thinking. She should have radioed her position, communicated with a superior that might be out there. Perhaps it was better someone thought she was dead. Awful things could be scanning the radios for solitary pickings like her. It was obvious even to her that their mission had been odd.

She kept moving, knowing that a bike, or a car would be faster. Time may not be on the hospital's side, if there were survivors at all. She searched for a likely target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide - (1d20+8)[13] (to help me progress without trouble)
    Move Silently - (1d20+8)[17] (if necessary to sneak at all, at any time)

Ai does not want to, but she will cut through buildings, smash through doors and windows, steal a car or by whatever means avoid zombie crowds and survive. She is aware that someone may also shoot her, so she progresses as carefully as she can while maintaining reasonable speed.

She searches for a vehicle she can use to make her progress to the hospital faster.

13. - Top - End - #253

The choice seemed to be made for the group already. Hattoriko Ai had decided on her own way and the party not willing to split up start following her, somewhat begrudgingly. The hospital a few blocks over was now their new target. Nothing but a few hundred zombies in between them and possible shelter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your choices have been made despite not wanting to go to the hospital that seems to be your only choice (unless you want to split the party, but do you really want to create extra work for your GM?).

14. - Top - End - #254

Frank looks around waiting for the group to get moving.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't care where we go as long as we continue with the game.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I will be more considerate with my actions. It would be good if we had an encounter, such as a Zombie challenge, to bypass. The group is less happy roleplaying it out. We seem to need structure.

It will at least provide an Opportunity for everyone to decide, Hospital, or not?

That way when the encounter is finished, the players will not have to murder me.

16. - Top - End - #256

PirateGuy

Phil

"Were crazy for doing this. We should have just let her go on her own."

Phil will follow along grumbling about the stupidity of it all.

17. - Top - End - #257

Spoiler
    Show
    It doesnt matter which way you go. Things will unravel differently now though.

The party after their intense battle began moving down the stairs they fought so hard to get to. It seemed the railway was to no longer be their haven. The streets were amazingly clear only a few zombies could be seen stumbling around partially burnt. The burnt bodies stank and almost made ones eyes water but the rain helped to wash away the stench.

The fastest way to the hospital was through the buildings next to the trainstation. Ryan hadn't spoken much but really looked bad. Despite the bandaging he had grown pale in colour. "I think the hospital is a good idea," he said with a pained look on his face.

18. - Top - End - #258

Walking up to the closest building Frank looks in the window and tries opening it.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hattoriko Ai

Ai is ahead of the group, and only briefly visible most of the time because of the heavy rain. She does not hear Ryan complaining, and moves toward the Hospital at a steady pace. When she notices the others trailing behind, she slows and allows them to get closer, but still maintains thirty feet between herself and the others. Spacing groups in increments, apart, made the members harder to see.

20. - Top - End - #260

Frank notices that the door is locked. All the windows are closed from the inside. It looks solid but could probably be broken down. The group is clear of any zombies and the rain keeps the visibility low.

21. - Top - End - #261

Frank doesn't enter the house preferring to stay outside following 30ft behind Ai.

22. - Top - End - #262

ooc: I'm back I'll see what happened while I was gone then post.

Edit: Oh um I kinda forgot about this game I posted right before I had to go help work on a truck I think the game is dead.
    Last edited by Trodon; 2009-08-19 at 03:10 PM.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!