New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Building a real life.

Hey, playground. Probably the wrong place to start for advice on this, but I might as well give it a shot.I've recently had something of an identity crisis. I realized I've spent most of my life trying to live someone else's. So, now I have a problem. I'm cutting back on the time I spend on D&D, internet, and all that, and trying to build myself a real life, in the real world, with real people doing real things. Only problem is, I really have no idea where to start. I'll be soliciting advice from a bunch of people around here, so even if you don't know or can't help, I'll probably be okay.

So, basically, I need all the help I can get to figure out what I'm supposed to do. A couple questions that will need answering:
    -Where are some places I can go to meet people? I don't drink or smoke so cross anything with those involved off the list.
    -What sort of hobbies could be reccomended for a guy who doesn't like sports?
    -Girls: pretty much need to know everything here, I have ZERO experience. How does a date normally go? How do you tell if the girl is girlfriend material?
    -Any other advice I haven't though of to ask for yet that you'd think would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Building a real life.

- Take classes on various hobbies. Painting, music, dancing, all sorts of stuff.
    - Play RPGs. They're a great hobby to get social.
    - A date doesn't go "normally" ever. Try going DVD hunting, though. That's always fun (and helps you learn the other person's tastes a bit).
    - Just try talking with people (which will include a lot of listening, so be prepared). You'd be amazed how things change if you just talk randomly. You won't be BFF with every single person you talk to, but you'll have some good friends and numerous friendly acquaintances.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    So, basically, I need all the help I can get to figure out what I'm supposed to do. A couple questions that will need answering:
    -Where are some places I can go to meet people? I don't drink or smoke so cross anything with those involved off the list.
    -Girls: pretty much need to know everything here, I have ZERO experience. How does a date normally go? How do you tell if the girl is girlfriend material?
    -Any other advice I haven't though of to ask for yet that you'd think would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.
    Because I'm pretty tired, you get outlined 'answers'. Extrapolation later, if someone else didn't beat me to the punch and is a great deal more useful.

1> Bars. But, since we're barring that (No pun intended), go out to parties, festivals, what-have-yous. Work and school have always served as great "Starting points" for branching out your social circle for me. If you have room-mates, they're pretty great people to know.

2> D&D, Video Games, Internets...
    In all seriousness - what catches your fancy? Wanted to try something ever? Have at it!

3> Your mind has zero experiance, your body (meaning instincts and evolutionary traits) know exactly what's going on. Be yourself, be natural. You can figure everything out on your own easily. Women aren't as big a mystery as we all think they are. Most women are just like any nother human being you'll meet.

4> Um... cheesecake is delicious? Cooking is a good skill to practice?
    Beware the Ides of June?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

Talk to the most popular person you know. Ask them to introduce you to the most popular person they know. Then ask them to do the same. Ask the most popular person to take you shopping. Let them pick out clothes for you, get your hair cut, new shoes etc.

Once you look good just start talking to people all the time. If you're not into sports join the gun club. Get a cool car and drive fast everywhere. Start drinking. Get confident and act like a bit of a jerk. Next thing you know the world will come to you.

All girls are girlfriend material. Try em' all. See if they fit.

The outer changes cause the inner changes. The inner changes make you happy. Why do you think those makeover shows work so well? They key is fashion, "cool" hobbies, and running your mouth 24/7.
    Last edited by Canadian; 2009-05-26 at 11:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to try speed dating next month. If I don't find true love at least I'll know loads more people.

I did the cool car thing back in October which worked out quite well. It is a buyer's market for the meantime.

I had a girlfriend at the start of the year and I managed that by talking to friends about girls they knew to set me up with. But! I didn't allow wait for it to happen. I approached the girl on facebook and told her I suspected there was matchmaking going on and that i'd be happy to meet her.

Edit: I'm sure I mentioned in one of these current threads a questionable hobby I was going to try...
    Last edited by Totally Guy; 2009-05-26 at 11:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

You don't even have to buy a cool car. When I say "get" a cool car I mean just that. Get one. You can borrow one, rent one, or through some other arrangement get your hands on one. As long as you're driving it who cares who owns it?

If you drive a cool car, do cool stuff, dress cool, and act cool the party will come to you. Like I said it's outside changes first. The inside changes follow right along.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

MonkGuy

Hey, playground. Probably the wrong place to start for advice on this, but I might as well give it a shot.I've recently had something of an identity crisis. I realized I've spent most of my life trying to live someone else's. So, now I have a problem. I'm cutting back on the time I spend on D&D, internet, and all that, and trying to build myself a real life, in the real world, with real people doing real things. Only problem is, I really have no idea where to start. I'll be soliciting advice from a bunch of people around here, so even if you don't know or can't help, I'll probably be okay.

Well, I would just take up some hobbies. Doesn't matter what really. Even if you don't know much about it, that'll give you a chance to ask questions to people and get to know them better. The obvious way to do this is take classes outside of school, or join a club in school.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Larping.
    Okay, not the best way to be less geeky, but you meet (and get to hit with padded sticks) a lot of very nice people
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

don't drink or smoke

Neither do i - but doesn't mean you can't hang out with friends at a bar or a club. Just drink soft drinks and don't flinch when it comes to buying people a drink in return. Infact i have a whole bunch of friends who abstain from booze/drugs/smokes and are all raging party animals

not into sports

are we talking competative sports, or should we just scrub the idea of anything with physical activity involved?

physical activity releases endorphans = good times.

dates/girls/girlfriend material

the RWaA thread is always at your disposal, or drop any of the regulars a PM if you want to keep things off the open airwaves. But as a side point, every date will be different - so its best to keep your expectations down to simply 'just have fun'.

the issue of what makes girlfriend material boils down you who you are as a person. As a rough guide you should a) get along b) enjoy their company c) be excited by them. The detail of that i can leave up to you. Just don't ever date someone to 'have' someone though. Just don't.

general advice

you might have to take your self out of comfort zone at times to experiance what the world is like. You might enjoy some things. you might hate others. But until you try, you'll never know
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

On the "not drinking" front (if you are under the legal age in your area, this is not a solicitation to break the law, but please bear in mind my advice for the future): moderate consumption of alcohol is a normal adult activity, and has a lot of social repercussions that go with it. Unless you don't drink for a prescribed health reason or for moral beliefs, then I would advise you to give it a go for the following reasons:

1) Your choice of favourite beverage, as well as the ability to choose good examples, will give you respect among the groups of people for which that beverage is associated. For example, a good taste in wine is necessary for moving about the upper classes, whereas a taste in good beer will help you more for the traditional working class.

2) Alcohol is a nervous system depressant- it suppresses a lot of social anxiety. I don't mean this as a recommendation to use it as a crutch in social situations (that way lies alcoholism) but to be aware that a moderate amount will relax social inhibitions, making it naturally easier to be open and chatty.

3) Alcohol and its consumption, for better or for worse, is part-and-parcel of all western ritual. From Christenings to funerals, people use it as an excuse to alter their mental state. It's a wise move to become acquainted with how people behave (and how you behave) with alcohol.

4) It's fun. Being in a mildly intoxicated state is a pleasant change to the normal state that we live in.

So, whilst I appreciate that your reason for not drinking may run fairly deeply, if its simply a case of "Alcohol is yucky/expensive/other reason" then I would encourage you to challenge your perceptions.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

If you're in college, I highly recommend joining clubs. I did a lot of that freshman year and by sophomore year I stopped going because I met enough people that I didn't have time for clubs anymore. And this is coming from someone who would break out in a nervous sweat for even thinking of talking to girls in high school. If you really wanna get more social, joining up a with a theater troupe (even as a lowly stage hand) is great. You'll get invited to a lot of parties that way and no you don't have to drink at parties.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Roleplaying D&D can be teaching real life skills, and in any case its a bit more creative a past time than many other activities you could choose to try.
    Roleplaying or Larping isnt the worst activity, honestly, ive not known a single roleplayer in RL without social competence and "real life" skills, with a life, able to get a GF, etc.

When it come to sport, that is hard to sugest. We are all different, we got different taste, athletic skills etc.
    Myself? Ive been a semi couch potato playing games, but i started to train capoeira.
    It really didnt feel at all natural at first, didnt even manage to do a pushup when i started (,never have before, to be honest, as far i know).
    If you want to try a sport, try find one you like. Where you live probably influence your options a bit, but its amazing how much progress you can do. Ive realized, i will suceed doing things i never dreamed possible 1-2 years ago someday, and i get to meet a lot of interesting people too.
    Last edited by Starshade; 2009-05-26 at 01:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

1. Meeting people:

Bars suck for meeting people unless you randomly sit at the bar (at the actual bar, not the table) and talk to strangers around you and more often than not you'll look funny if you sit at a bar for an hour drinking coke. Nightclubs suck even more for meeting people unless 1. you're good looking, 2. you're confident, 3. you know how to behave in clubs and 4. you're looking to meet a girl.

Instead... Well, clubs (especially ones with outgoing people like theatre) are awesome for it. Just don't pick the physics club or something unless you want to sit and do physics for 3 hours... Also, volunteer work. Again, something fairly social like the YMCA or a summer camp. Or, although don't know how it works where you are, but here I went to volunteer at a hospital to pad my med school application and I can't even begin to describe the amount of cool people that I've met.

Also, why don't you drink? If it's something religious or philosophical, we'll understand. If it's something like "I've seen drunk people and they're idiots," then, well, it's our job to get you to drink. The trick here is not to get hammered, otherwise you're good. In small amounts alcohol is actually a STIMULANT (yeah, 90% of media is wrong about it due to propaganda reasons). Small amounts means 1-2 beers for an average male. Basically, when you're buzzed it's good. Just don't keep drinking past that because after a certain point all you want to do is keep drinking.

Oh, and it's really fun. But in any case, just because you can't drink doesn't mean you can't hang out with people who do. Hanging out with smoking friends may be a bit more annoying but seriously, you're not going to get cancer from second hand smoke for 40 minutes one night a week.

2. Hobbies:

Dunno.. photography? Join a club for something and see if you like it. Even if you didn't, well, you already met some people. Also, when you say you don't like sports, do you mean team sports or any physical activity? Because a buddy of mine organized a dodgeball thing at my university, and well, it's the weirdest thing ever but at the same time surprisingly fun. Even if I suck at throwing balls and badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Once you get out of school it gets really tough to meet people unless you're into the bar scene, which I'm not. So you pretty much have to join groups to socialize. Here's a list of things that either my siblings or I have done which helped us meet friends, gain real-world experience, have fun/enjoy a hobby, and get to know potential girlfriends/boyfriends.

Martial Arts lessons
    Irish dancing (ok, that was my sister)
    Junior Chamber of Commerce ("Jaycees")
    Habitat for Humanity
    Christian Appalachian Project
    Society for Creative Anachronism
    Church or community musical groups
    Roadrunners (Running clubs)

I might be able to think of some more later.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-05-26 at 02:42 PM.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

There's just a lot of stuff to reply to in this thread...

"With those involved"... Does that mean you'll refuse to go anywhere near them, or simply that you'll refuse to actually drink or smoke? I don't think there are any activities that really require you to do either (except for some of the extremer frat boy stuff). If you won't go anywhere near them though, you're crossing all the best places off of your list. Bars, parties, fraternities (I have no idea in what age category you are), even going bowling usually involves alcohol. In general, I think alcohol and cigarettes are an unavoidable phenomenon.

Again, you're crossing some of the best stuff off the list here. You're left with stuff that you seem to be wanting to move away from (D&D is a social activity, but it's on the list of stuff you want to cut down on...). What other hobbies can we suggest? Acting, for instance, would be good. Or you could practise playing an instrument, start a band. Anyways, sports aren't actually too bad an idea. They're healthy and a good place for bonding.

"Girlfriend material" is a very subjective term. Basically it depends on what you are looking for. You just need to find someone you like, and hopefully they'll like you back. As for how a date normally goes, just try to be yourself. Don't try to act "cool". That doesn't mean you should try coming off as a total geek, but being anyone but yourself is just a bad idea. Eventually you'll show your true colours, and it'll just attract people who are interested in this person you're pretending to be, not you. Plus, having to pretend to be someone else will just stress you out more. All of that goes for making friends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon
    - A date doesn't go "normally" ever. Try going DVD hunting, though. That's always fun (and helps you learn the other person's tastes a bit).
    DVD hunting is considered a date now? This is news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50
    3> Your mind has zero experiance, your body (meaning instincts and evolutionary traits) know exactly what's going on. Be yourself, be natural. You can figure everything out on your own easily.
    Really? I don't think that's true for everyone. The world would be a much easier place if it were, but I don't think everyone is all that confident and smooth in social situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian
    Once you look good just start talking to people all the time. If you're not into sports join the gun club. Get a cool car and drive fast everywhere. Start drinking. Get confident and act like a bit of a jerk. Next thing you know the world will come to you.
    Get a cool car and cool clothes and people will like you? I'm not sure if that's good advice. It's not true for most people anyways. The acting like a jerk (don't overdo it) does tend to be true, but it's something I'm trying to root out. Also, Admiral Squish was pretty clear about his position on drinking, and it is hardly required to make friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian
    All girls are girlfriend material. Try em' all. See if they fit.
    Do you mean that it really doesn't matter which girl you're dating? That seems a bit... cold to me.

Anyways, the best way to meet people is often just to walk up to them in everyday situations and start talking to them. Something I did in my first year at university was just to go sit next to people I didn't know in class and talk to them. I didn't know anyone when I arrived at university and at the end of the week I knew forty people. If you don't get new friends this way, at least you'll get some practise on the old social skills.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Dont do what i do.

Seeing as i have no life.

Just dont be me and you should already be improving.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

You make it sound like your not living. Are you undead? Or perhaps some form of energy?

Your living life. If your not happy with it change things one at a time. Be yourself and do what you like to do. You'll meet people if you just look in your community.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Don't let anybody change who you are or you'll end up right back at the start with the identity crisis.

Of course that doesn't mean you can justify endless lonely evening indoors by defining yourself as that person.

Discover what it is you enjoy doing with other and try to find as many people that share that interest with you as you can. And be honest about what you want with people. If you are looking for specifically for something you will find more of it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    Really? I don't think that's true for everyone. The world would be a much easier place if it were, but I don't think everyone is all that confident and smooth in social situations.
    Really? Humans are social creatures. I figured that somewhere in our inherited instincts there was at least a Charisma score of 10.
    I'm wrong, I guess. That's not an uncommon phenomenon.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Really? Humans are social creatures. I figured that somewhere in our inherited instincts there was at least a Charisma score of 10.
    I'm wrong, I guess. That's not an uncommon phenomenon.
    My total lack of instincts of any kind tell me you're indeed wrong. But I'll admit your point of view makes sense.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2009-05-26 at 03:57 PM.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Humans are social creatures. I figured that somewhere in our inherited instincts there was at least a Charisma score of 10.
    No, no. It's at least a charisma score of 3. ...By definition, of course, since a D&D stat of 3 is literally defined as the natural human minima.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkali View Post
    So, whilst I appreciate that your reason for not drinking may run fairly deeply, if its simply a case of "Alcohol is yucky/expensive/other reason" then I would encourage you to challenge your perceptions.
    I would have to disagree with most of what you said. I know quite a few people that don't drink, they might have something once or twice a year if something is offered to them.

I spent some time going to places where people drink, with friends exclusively and never on my own. Even with friends I don't like going to any of those sorts of places and never enjoyed being at any of them. Its not bad if you have something to drink and you are at someone's house, but any place you go out to drink I would rather not be at.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but alcohol does almost nothing to me in terms of making me more social. If anything it makes me less social, and that is a hard task. It gives me a headache after only a few drinks of just about anything and thats all I ever get out of it. I've been everywhere between a few drinks and not really able to stand up and I've never seen the appeal to it, it was never fun, it never made me more outgoing. (My cousin would get mad because I could take shots better then him and he drank all the time and I almost never did)

The only people I've ran into that make anything of what people like to drink are people that like to drink a fair amount. I've never seen it as a way to relate to people outside of a situation where you are already drinking with them.

As for loosening inhibitions, thats as much just people wanting to act like that as anything else. Sure some people change a fair amount, but a lot of people start "acting" like they are drunk as soon as they get into the situation where its acceptable even if they've had very little to drink. There is a "cultural type" (not really sure how to say what I'm trying to say here) to people that drink a fair amount that simply does not appeal to other people.

I used to go to places with smoking and drinking to "hand out" with people and to be more social and the conclusion I came to was that I was much happier with life by avoiding those sorts of places, even if it meant not being very social. Even if I go to them and don't drink, I get no enjoyment from those places or being with any of the people that are there, except for the small group I went with when it was just as likely we would have at least as much fun doing anything else with those same people.

One mistake the OP seems to be making is that you don't have to change what you like to be more social. You just have to find people that like the same things as you do. I have meet and became friends with a lot more people playing Warhammer, 40k, and Battletech then I have through jobs and school. The people I did become friends with in school and through work were all people that liked to do the same sorts of things, like gaming. You don't have to give up gaming to be more social, although you might have to find more social games. Find gaming groups where people get together to play games rather then just at home.

There is the misconception in the USA (and probably a lot of the rest of the world) that unless you are being "social" and going out and doing things with large groups of people then you aren't having fun. From what I've seen though, most of the people that are only moderately social and don't go out a lot are generally much more content with life and happier all around then those that are always going out and are the "really social" people.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sounds like me, only I don't have a problem with drinking and got used to being around cigarettes during high school (Senior year your allowed to go off campus for food, which pretty much meant the one Mexican restaurant within walking distance, which seemed to attract smokers like a magnet).

What I'm doing? Pretty much what was suggested. I'm starting with working out more (although with almost crippling social anxiety, I'm mostly just working out at home), and when I feel better about myself (and when my family is done living in my apartment) I'm going to find a bar I'm comfortable with, have a few drinks at the bar (vs tables) and try talking to people.
    The other thing I'm doing is keeping my ear to the ground, seeing if any events/etc are happening in my area and if I'm interested, attending.

And failing that, I'm really not to happy with my job right now, so I may be going back to school where finding people won't be a problem.
    Life isn't perfect.
    Banner by kpenguin.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

A minor comment: the reason it's better if you're at least OK with drinking beers is that the easiest way to become friends with a person is to ask them: "Hey, [name], would you like to go and grab a few beers with me [time]?"

It helps if you know a decent bar you like close by.

Seriously, about 75% of men and 50-60% of women will go along with it. With women it helps to add "Nope, I'm not hitting on you despite sending mixed messages, I just want to be friends." This sends a very mixed message that makes sure you're not hitting on her but is at the same time mixed enough to leave room for improvement..

Surprisingly people prefer going for coffee than for beers. No idea why..
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Try a beginner's dance/acting thing. It'll be physical, but not so much that you'll be totally out of your depth, and everyone there will be as awful as you might be, what with it being "beginner's". Plus, you'll meet lots of new people - and if you don't like it, it's not so huge a commitment?
    This next one's only definite for UKers (it most likely exists everywhere elsewhere, but I don't know for sure): join a fun-hiking group. Similar to dance: lots of people, physical, but not super-taxing. Plus, pretty scenery?!
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Surprisingly people prefer going for coffee than for beers. No idea why..
    I've found that it's usually much easier to have a conversation in a coffee shop than in a bar or club.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'll just reiterate the idea that the things you are talking about trying to cut down on should become the hobbies you're looking for, at least slightly: things like dnd make fine assorted activities.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    I'll just reiterate the idea that the things you are talking about trying to cut down on should become the hobbies you're looking for, at least slightly: things like dnd make fine assorted activities.
    DnD may be fun if you're into that but it's not a good way to meet people, especially if you're looking for different people. I mean the whole point of DnD is to hang out with the same group of people for a long time at a preset time, and chances are at least half of those people will be your friends to begin with.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The best way to meet people you'll get along with is to do very specific things which will land you with people with similar opinions and likes. Join a book club related to your favorite genre of literature. Go to political demonstrations related to your political opinions. If you're religious, join a church/temple/mosque/gurdwara/etc group. If you're, say, a vegetarian, find vegetarian cooking classes.

If you're looking to get into something new, I suggest dance classes. Seriously.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post

Get a cool car and cool clothes and people will like you? I'm not sure if that's good advice. It's not true for most people anyways.

Do you mean that it really doesn't matter which girl you're dating? That seems a bit... cold to me.
    It is true that people who look cool and do cool stuff are more popular. Open your eyes. That's how the world works. It's far easier to attract people to you than go chasing after them.

All girls are girlfriend material. There's someone for everyone in this world. I don't any girl is undateable.