New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Tomb of Horrors, Party 2

((OOC: You, the PCs, are standing in the backroom of the local tavern. The room has no furniture, save a few chairs in the corner. Three men are standing, heavily armed. One is the captain of the guard, while both of the other two are soldiers.))

The captain begins to speak. "You've all come here for different reasons. Some have come for the 10 year sentence reduction, others for the 70,000 gp. reward. Some to help the community, others for the glory. Your mission is simple: Destroy the Demi-Lich that dwells inside the tomb."
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tomb of Horrors, Party 2

Durendal

In the dimness of the tavern room, a pillar of light stands tall. His golden armor sparkles as a single ray of light from a nearby window falls upon him. His blue cloak hangs from his shoulders like a mantle of purity and truth. His green eyes glow with a fiery passion as he drew his sword and held it vertically before him.

"I pledge upon my sword to slay all evil I encounter for the glory of Pelor, and upon my sword I shall pass Pelor's judgment onto every foul undead creature that dwells within that tomb."
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Kyra enters the private room of the tavern and observes the others that have arrived before her. The comely elven female does not appear to be much of a combatant, she is even weaponless! To her credit, she does seem to be rather athletic for an elf, and like other elves, the maiden lithely slips into a chair at the table.

She appears to be of high elven heritage, for a headband keeps her silver hear from her emerald eyes - behind which power surely is locked. Perhaps she is a magess, for she wears no armor save for a cloak, ring, and necklace; an elegant backpack is all that appears to be the only other equipment brought by the lass. Judging from the lack of bulk, it cannot be laden down with much, and this seemingly inexperienced delver must think she will be able to take all of the treasures in the Tomb back with her in a nearly empty rucksack.

"I take it you are not here trying to reduce your sentence, bright eyes," she says to Durendal with a voice like honey. "I am Kyra. I take it you are to be joining me as we shall be the first to tame the fabled Tomb of Horrors. I would ask what skills you might have, but judging from your demeanor, you are a templar of some sorts. What you cannot turn or vanquish shall be disintegrated by me. I detest the undead, but I am not too familiar with a demilich, however." Kyra then pauses as if listening to something and nods her head.

"Agreed," she says aloud to no one. "If we are to survive this, I suggest we take some time now to figure out what we bring to this table before we embark. I, for one, would like to return in one piece with many a gold piece of that reward to my name. I shall start: I am what many call a nomad...a wanderer of the mind. This is Quark," as she speaks, a crystal rises from the hood of her cloak with strange wings that appear to be made of dew. "Our experience has been that my ability to transport myself and those near me have saved many a doomed party. I believe this may be my greatest asset. I can also pierce any illusion and see what is truly there as well as use my connection with the planes to divine a safe course of action. No portal has held me at bay, and I am able to summon constructs from the astral plane. If need be, I can summon a wall that will prevent even ghosts from passing through, and I can hold my own against multiple foes. Finally, I can insure that we shall be heroes of legend...or at least be fed like them."

She pauses again, "Right - enough about me...what about you...and what is needed to destroy a demilich?"

ooc: demilich information using my Knowledge:Religion (1d20+8)[25]

edit: not bad (weaknesses, abilities, etc?)
    Last edited by Darius; 2009-06-17 at 05:55 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Durendal

The paladin sheathed his blade and addressed the elven woman with a bow. "I am Sir Durendal, Holy Paladin of Pelor. I promise you and all our companions that I shall protect you within that tomb, to my dying breath if necessary."

Durendal knelt on one knee before the gathered group and spoke in a solemn voice, "By Pelor's will, so long as I hold true to the virtues of humility, prudence, and grace, so shall I grant Pelor's blessings to all those that walk with me on the paths of light. To my allies, I promise healing and protection from mortal dangers. To my enemies, I promise swift retribution with my holy blade. So long as I live, all evildoers need fear the sword of justice, and so long as Pelor is with me, I shall never rest until Justice reigns supreme." With that vow, he rose from the ground and stood silent, awaiting the trials to come.

Spoiler
    Show
    As long as you remain within 25 ft of me, you receive +3 Insight bonus to AC. If you remain within 30 ft of me, you receive +2 Sacred bonus to Will saves, +2 Sacred bonus to Ref saves, and Evasion if you're wearing light or no armor.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

5. - Top - End - #5

A small, stumpy figure walks in, throwing a surly glance at the guardsman as he passes him by. Bald, with a shiny grey pate, it squints at each of you in turn before vaulting up onto a stool in the corner of the room. If the elf is underequipped, this fellow may have overdone it, as tools and weapons festoon his body, most notably a shimmering adamantine axe strapped to his back Once you are all done speaking, he grunts in a thick accent:

I be Hargoth Tunnelbreak. I hearin that we to kill the demilich, so thats what I coming to do, and bring his house down on him, yes. I looking for his traps and breakin' his doors, and mebbe later his legs. We see. Anyway, I hearing about this tomb, a little. I know this.

(1d20+7)[22] Knowledge: Architecture
    (1d20+5)[24] Knowledge: Local
    Last edited by sum1won; 2009-06-17 at 07:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

PirateCaptain

Kyra

The elf smiles at the paladin and giggles a little. "Why thank you, Sir Durendal. I feel safer already." Before she says any more, the dwarf makes his entrance.

She spies his axe and comes over to Hargoth, "Oooo...that axe, is it what I think it is? Adamantine? Wow...I'll bet that can cut through stone without even getting dull. I'm glad you're here, too - especially if you can find traps."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raig

A man walking on all fours crawls up to the table. He would be tall if not for his habit of moving like an animal; a habit that reminds you of either a wolf or a tiger. Waiting for the dwarf to finish extolling his talents, he moves up, stands up from the floor, and it is apparent that he has no weapons; not even a staff. He does however, wear crude armor made from a bear's skin, and a wooden shield is strapped to his arm.

"Well, since you're all done with your monologues, I might as well start mine. I'm here to rid the world of an aberration; a crime against nature, if you will. What do I add to this fine group? Why, I add the heat of a forest fire, the strength of the bear, and the sight of the hawk. As cliched as that was, it is true, and I am going to make a sound party sounder."
    I don't really have anything to put here.

8. - Top - End - #8

PirateCaptain

Kyra

The elven maiden giggles again at the druid's antics and says, "And what shall we call you, Beastmaster?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raig

"You may know me as Raig. Titles to me are rubbish and excess, because we are born with one first name and one last name, unless you are born out of civilization or are a gnome."
    Last edited by cezyou; 2009-06-18 at 11:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

((OOC: sum1won, what are the checks for? I'm assuming the local check is for knowledge about the Tomb: The Tomb is inhabited by the Demi-Lich Acererak. Many believe Acererak to be a true lich, not a demi one. Either way, he created the tomb in hopes that people would forget him. He filled his tomb full of deadly traps to keep out unwanted visitors. Recently, a series of undead attacks on the nearby village of Dehestia prompted a series of scouting missions to the Tomb, in hopes to destroy the suspected undead leader.))

"In order to help you, I will give you these." He lays down a metal rod and a ring on the table the mysteriously popped into existence. "This rod can bring someone back to life as long as they died within 24 hour. The ring can heal any loss of strength that may occur when brought back."
    ((OOC: The rod brings people back to life with a level loss. It has 6 charges. The ring can heal one level, and has 2 charges.))
    Spoiler
    Show

Kroy speaks the truth.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raig

Raig picks up the rod and ring ((OOC: It's alliteration!)) and holds them out to his fellow party members.

"Who wants to carry the reset ring and the resurrection stick? Eh? Anyone?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A tall, furry figure steps forwards from one of the shadowed corners of the tavern. He wears a long black billowing robe but from the clinking sound of his walk he wears some sort of mail beneath. He has piercing green eyes, that stare out at the guard captain from beneath his large sloping brow. His face is covered in fur which hangs long from his chin in a pointed beard and his large pointed ears extend past the top of his head. His voice is a low rumble and he speaks slowly and deliberately.

"I am known as Gaznak." He announces to no one in particular. "I will be joining you on your delve into the tomb. I weild forces spawned in the dank pits of the Abyss and seek to posses this "demilich's" power for myself. I will crush my enemies and see them driven before me! So... it would be wise to make sure I continue to consider you all my allies..."

He shuffles over to the feral looking Raig, eyeing the ring and rod. "I should be able to unlock these treasures latent magic... That is of course, if no one has any objections..." His eyes dart quickly between the other adventurers.
    Last edited by Tevin; 2009-06-18 at 02:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Hargoth squints at the elf who is addressing him in such a forward tone.

It be adamantine, yes. For the chopping of portals and walls, and perhaps the hands of those who are taken property without the right asking.

In a slightly less paranoid tone, he continues

I be no mage, nor time to hold such things. But yon elf's bag has the slack for it. She can hold the ring and rod.

ooc: Local check is just what it sounds like. Architecture is more to see what he can tell from its construction and the like, though it probably won't come up until he gets a good look at it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raig

Raig looks at the small warlock, and says, "Threatening us is not the best way to make friends, but as long as you continue to add to our group without taking away more than your share, I won't object. Nay, I don't object to anyone in particular taking these, although, I would suggest that one person takes the staff and another person the ring. That way we will keep one of the items even if one carrier is abducted."
    Last edited by cezyou; 2009-06-18 at 02:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The six foot Hobgoblin lets out a wicked laugh which is a stark contrast to his normal low baritone voice. It sounds almost like nails across a chalkboard. After a moment he calms himself and locks his piercing green orbs on the Druid. "Oh, Raig... is it? You misunderstand me, friend I do not mean to threaten anyone, simply advise them to a wise course of action... but, even if you did construe what I said to be a threat you needn't worry unless of course you plan to betray me... no, us. Correct?" He lets the question hang in the air a moment before continuing, "I will take one or both, it matters not to me but I agree your plan has merit."
    Last edited by Tevin; 2009-06-18 at 03:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raig

Raig looks back at the hobgoblin casually, and states quite clearly, "Once I crushed a small city's army for mutating its inhabitants into illithids and going to war against my grove. They acted very much like you: rude, and, over all, selfish to the core. I will not conflict with you if you will not conflict with me, but it really is not a good idea to fight someone who can turn you into a toad."

"Back at the matter at hand, when are we leaving for the Tomb? As soon as possible, in the morning, or at some time to be determined?"

Spoiler
    Show

[roll]d20+2[/roll] Untrained Bluff check to lie about the whole city crushing thing. Raig is trying to get the midget to back off.

EDIT: Fail! I forgot to roll, and I tried editing it in. It didn't work. Also, I keep thinking that Gaznak's a halfling...
    Last edited by cezyou; 2009-06-18 at 03:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

(OOC: Just fyi I'm a 6'2" Hobgoblin not a halfling, heh )

Gaznak furrows his brow in annoyance at the Druid. "Well, that's quite the tale, human. I find it difficult to believe that you're not "conflicting" with me when you so casually throw insults my way. If you find my manner grates on you that is one thing but don't insult me and claim not to be conflicting with me in the same breath... Now, barring any more stories of just how heroic you are, I agree, we should move on to the tomb."

Gaznak reaches out and takes the Rod from Raig's hand. "Someone else take the ring, or you hold on to it, human... I will handle this." Reaching into his robe he secures the rod in his belt.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raig

"Well, now that we have that little problem settled, we still have to decide when to set off for the tomb. I vote for tomorrow morn."

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateCaptain

Kyra

The elf shakes her head and makes a 'tsking' noise and says to the hovering crystal, "You're right, Quark, boys will be boys. Now that you two are done measuring each others' manhoods, can we begin to work together?" She rolls her eyes and says, "I think perhaps I should hold the rod in my pack...it is enchanted, you know. Here, let me show you." With that, she demonstrates by removing a long pole of 10' from one of the side pockets.

She holds her hand out to Gaznak for the rod, "Surely you could crush me or blast me to smitherines with your hellfire or whatever it is you do and take the rod, ring, and all of my belongings, so you have little to worry about Gaznak...right, Sir Durendal the paladin?" Kyra smirks and gives a knowing smile at the crystal.

She then mutters under her breath, "Now we know who is working off his debt to society, eh, Quark?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Durendal

Durendal stood in the background, silent during the entire exchange. Now he walks forward again and speaks in a clear, decisive voice, "Though I realize some of us have come for less than noble reasons, and under other circumstances I would do my utmost to urge those less than righteous to atone for their crimes, for now, the need is great enough that we must unify in order to defeat the greater shadow. Know, that, however, I shall not tolerate any evil done in my presence, and justice will be dealt to those that let my warnings pass by unheeded."

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateCaptain

Kyra

The elf smiles at the paladin's comments and then a worried look crosses her face. She turns to the captain of the watch and says, "First, thank you for these items. Second, I just want to make sure that this is clear, we will each get 70,000gp for successfully completing this mission. Third, in addition to the 70,000, we have been given permission to keep any and all items found in the tomb..." she looks at Sir Durendal and nods while continuing, "...after proper tithing is made, of course."

Stat Block:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kyra the Gray Elf

113/123 PP
    60/60 HP
    25 AC (touch: 16; flat: 22)

Fort: +6 (+15 if use headband)
    Ref: +9
    Will: +12

Active Effects:
    Adaptation
    Inertial Armor (+9 Armor Bonus to AC)
    within 25 ft of Durendal: +3 Insight bonus to AC.
    within 30 ft of Durendal: +2 Will and Ref (Sacred) saves and Evasion

Last edited by Darius; 2009-06-19 at 12:49 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gaznak eyes the elven tart up and down, smiling, "That's quite alright, I'll just hang on to it, yes? And I have no intention on harming any of you unless I have to, sweety. I'm sorry that I frighten you so..." Turning his attention to the Paladin Durendal his smile widens further. "I couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone better fly on the straight and narrow or me and the shiny guy are going to enact justice upon you... slowly." Reaching out, Gaznak slaps the paladin on the side of the arm, just below his spaulder. "Good to have you aboard, friend..." leaning closer to Durendal and quieting his voice but not enough to disguise what he says he motions towards Raig, "I'd keep an eye on that one. Seems... uncivilized... could be dangerous."

His toothy smile finally fades as he lopes over to a nearby table and takes a seat. He eyes everyone up once more before speaking, "If this is going to be everyone then we should decide wether we wish to embark to this timb tonight or first thing tomorrow."

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateCaptain

Kyra

The elf laughs at the hobgoblin, "Frighten me? On the contrary, it appears as though you are the one who is frightened, for you are obviously afraid of Raig, and you have little confidence in yourself since you must boast about your self proclaimed 'power.' " She notices that Gaznak is undressing her with his eyes and says, "Take a good look, for that is all that you will get. You remind me of the many males who claim their 'sword' is a two-hander, but they have only a dirk in their sheath. Obviously you want the rod for yourself to hold since you are lacking in other areas. I simply wanted to keep it...clean...for the only thing I fear where you will stick it when you are left to your own devices on watch."

Stat Block:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kyra the Gray Elf

113/123 PP
    60/60 HP

Active Effects:
    Adaptation

Last edited by Darius; 2009-06-19 at 01:07 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Furrowing his brow at the elf, Gaznak politely waits until she is finished before he starts his low, rumbling retort. "Oh, and what gives away my fear of the man-dog? My openess to trade barbs with him despite having never met him before tonight and therefore having no real knowledge of what he is capable of? Or is it the way I look him in the eyes when adressing him as 'human'? Or maybe my lack of hesitation to wrest the Rod from his grasp? Please, enlighten me, Elf, when will the hells freeze over and anything you just said make any sense? I know your mind, you seek to infuriate me with your baseless accusations. Perhaps that works on your puny elven race, but not on me." Gaznak pauses for a moment, rubbing his index finger and thumb against his bearded chin.

"As for everything else you said... are you trying to make me wretch, little girl? I wouldn't touch you in such a way with that ten foot pole, you're carrying... I can only imagine in horror the things you do with that while you're on watch... must be why you feel generally let down with the size of your partners... setting the standard a little high. Perhaps you should try moving in the draconic dating circle? Try that on for size? Now, if we're quite done 'being boys' or 'measuring our manhoods'... can we get on with something of importance or are we going to whine the demilich into submission?"

25. - Top - End - #25

Hargoth is sitting in back, patiently sipping from a bottle as everyone argues.

While the warlock holds the rod in the air, he casually approaches and in one fluid motion,(quickdraw) whips his greataxe through the air and attempts to hook the rod out of the hobgoblins hand before catching it in the air.

Disarm roll(1d20+17)[36]

ooc: While you technically can make an opposed roll, I'd need to roll below a 23 for you to have a chance, since you would make a normal attack with a -4 modifier for something that isn't a weapon.

With rod in hand, he tosses it to the elf.

Sorry, hairy. But the spell requires I be touched, and you not so much my type. I sure you has uses, yes? Maybe with some nice onions? I'm liking onions since I come here, though we not have them back home, so I think maybe I bring back a nice bunch, yes?

With that, Hargoth gives him a wide grin, displaying his teeth.
    Last edited by sum1won; 2009-06-19 at 07:34 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raig

Raig looks on the exchange between Gaznak and Kyra in a bit of dismay, and lets the rod flip around. "Just make sure not to break it as your twisting and grabbing it, now."

"Are we settled on starting off on first light? Or are we going to squabble about who carries each item all through the night, get no sleep, and then attempt to stand up to the demilich exhausted?"

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateCaptain

Kyra

Deftly grabbing the rod as it flips through the air towards her, Kyra quickly puts it inside the enchanted rucksack. "Thank you, Hargoth. My thoughts exactly, for if Gaznak is unwilling to use the rod on me, he is unlikely to use it on any of you. I am glad my unorthadox plan was available to reveal his true colors. Even though I am unable to choose those who have answered the call to this quest, I am glad to be among most of you. I understand the need for winter to appreciate summer, so every living creature has its place and purpose. Unlike Sir Durendal, I am not want to protect all regardless of their standing. However, since each of us and our talents may be needed to complete this task where others have failed, I am willing to put aside my differences as long as the rest do the same. Agreed?"

Stat Block:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kyra the Gray Elf

113/123 PP
    60/60 HP

Active Effects:
    Adaptation

Last edited by Darius; 2009-06-19 at 08:54 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raig ((OOC: Gee, it's really hard to type in garden gloves.))

"Agreed, lady Kyra. As long as we get to the matter of when to actually begin our slightly-cliched quest. Dawn?"

29. - Top - End - #29

"The Tomb is located due west from here. There is a large hill that has three entrances. We have sent 2 investigation squads in in the past. Both of which died. And yes, you each will receive 70,000 gp., as well as free rein over any found items. Just be careful.
    And, whatever you do, don't enter the statue's mouth!"
    ...Any questions?"
    ((OOC: I'm gonna have to say you can't make a knowledge (Architecture) check without seeing the actual Tomb.))
    Last edited by Kroy; 2009-06-19 at 05:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kroy speaks the truth.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

(OOC: Gaznak had already stashed the rod into his belt so it cannot be disarmed you'd have to make a Sleight of Hand check, just FYI . Also disarming someone with your weapon makes the weapon drop to the ground in their square not fly over into someone elses hand but whatever, I'm not the DM. EDIT: Changed my post after Kroy's latest.)

"Yes captain, is the entrance to this tomb here in the town? Or is it in the wilderness beyond? If, so will you provide us a guide to reach it?" Gaznak leans back in his chair awaiting the guard captain to respond. He slings his backpack up onto the table and begins making an inventory of what supplies he has on hand and any he may wish to buy before they leave.
    Last edited by Tevin; 2009-06-19 at 05:16 PM.