New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: All's Fair in Love and War - IC

Ric'lail

Ric'lail watches passively as Andra makes her way out of the grounds.

Perhaps she'll find what she's looking for, now that we're back home.

Mention of raccoon kabob catches his attention. Or, a part of it, at least.

It wasn't that bad, was it? It looked like Oliver did a decent job with what he was working with. Ah, and everything's ready, by the way. The guest house has been prepared, and your parents are in the white cabana in the southeast garden. Your siblings are all away on business.

Ah. Thank you. Veln will be so disappointed, though.

What? Why would he...?

Oh, no reason. Don't mind me.

He responds to Vachel's query with with half a mind, gazing across the grounds to where he remembers the cabana to be.

"No raccoon here, Vachel. Though...if you really desire one, there are some on the grounds, I believe. One could be harvested, and elven cooking makes most meats remarkably tender, when meat is served at all."

He stands in his stirrups and flips his hood back to get a better look as he peers into the distance, his face creasing in mild concern.

Where...?

Ah, yes. They moved the cabana when the stream changed course a few years ago. Further to the left, I think, from where you are?

He smiles in relief and turns to the paladin.

"Excepting a special request from yourself, though, the main course will probably be something from the forests outside the city. Venison, or a wild hog. Bread and fresh butter. Whatever is in season from the orchards, in a salad if there are greens available. A light summer wine, and perhaps some fruit preserves or pies for dessert."

The elf lifts a hand, gesturing to the tip of the small structure visible in the distance.

"My parents are here in the gardens. Come, and I will introduce you."

A brief ride across the grounds brings them to the cabana. Ric'lail dismounts and approaches, kneeling at the foot of the white steps and speaking quietly in elven.

Elven (Ric'lail)-
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Mother. Father. I have returned. I offer all my greetings and respect, and request sanctuary for my comrades and myself. Your good health honors the family, as ever."

Both of the two elves in the cabana rise. They are tall for their species, making it clear where Ric'lail has gotten his relatively impressive stature. The family eyes stand out immediately, and it is also clear that their shoulder-length hair was once the same shade of brilliant silver as Ric'lail's. Their features are composed, but their eyes sparkle with emotion. His father steps forward and takes Ric'lail's hand, helping him to his feet.

Elven (father)-
    Spoiler
    Show

"You are welcome here, as ever, my son. Your life brings honor to our family. I wish only that the rest of your siblings were here to share in the joy of your safe returns."

The aged elf turns to face the rest of the group, inclining his head in a gesture of respect before speaking. His words are addressed to his son, but it seems clear he expected the visitors to respond.

"But who are your guests? I would know of their names and deeds. That you have brought them here surely means that you know them as friends, and they are as welcome as you in our house."
    Improbability drive activated. The clown has been engaged.

And a huge thanks to Diabhan for the AWESOME avatar. Lizardfolk rogue FTW!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Malcolm Thirsk," he says, nodding. "Former Sergeant Major of your son and your other guests. Your home is amazing, sheer luxury, and I'd think so even if I hadn't spent the last decade or so sleeping on forest floors."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vachel
    "I am Vachel, paladin of Heirvoneous, and brother-in-arms of your son. Zhis is Jhames, my mule, and I believe I have need of a stable so zhat he does not cause damage to your magnificent house." James' ears flattened, but he remained on his best behavior...for the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oliver

Dismounting when arriving on the grounds, Oliver guides Starwill with the reigns while walking. Upon reaching Ric'lail's parents, Oliver kneels for a second, placing his spear on the ground, point facing away from the hosts.

Facing the elders, he speaks his greeting in a slightly peculiar dialect of elven,
    Spoiler
    Show
    "My name is Oliver; I am a planesrider of the clan. It has been an honor to spill blood with your kin."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Veln

Veln makes a slight bow. "I'm Veln, your son has saved my skin often enough." Might be best not to ask for the daughter if I have to stay here for some time.
    Last edited by mr. Tentacles; 2009-07-03 at 01:38 PM.
    Cast grease, and let slip the dogs of war...

Veln Sahar Erdorin - human fighter
    Naetil Isillin - Valenar elf ranger

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ric'lail

The aged elf listens to the introductions quietly. He allows each member of the small group to speak without interference, glancing at his wife as Oliver speaks. Her mouth crooks briefly into a surprisingly expressive smile and she inclines her head to the young sorcerer, but chooses to leave the speaking to her mate. Her smile seems to catch him off guard, but he merely turns back to face his guests and continues.

"You speak highly of our youngest, humans! We bid you welcome, as I said. I am called Taurnil; my wife is called Alessė. Accommodations have been prepared for you in the guesthouse in the cherry orchard behind the manor. Any and all of you may stay as long as you have need or desire. Though..."

He casts his eyes over the group, and his otherwise smooth features wrinkle briefly into an expression of thought that is humorously reminscent of his absent-minded offspring.

"...I was led to believe there would be another. A human female? I regret that she is not present to share her stories along with the rest of you, but those in attendance are no doubt possess tales and exploits more than sufficient to fill weeks, let alone pass a single evening. The evening meal will be served at dusk; this is late according to the human tradition of meals, I understand, but your arrival was unexpected, and it would shame us to offer you less than our best on your first night in the Port Elektra after such a long absence in honorable military service.

House Lureba'an's High Seat turns to face Vachel and James as he finishes speaking. Only a trace of a smile curls the corners of his lips upward, but he speaks with a rich, sparkling voice that conveys the warmth of his emotions more clearly than even a full-mouthed grin could have.

"Paladin Vachel. Worry not about your creature. You may loose him at will. House Lureba'an possesses no stables, but...I think it unlikely that James will wander too far or cause my House irreparable damage. All of you have served and deserve your rest. He is our guest as much as you."

The Lady Alessė glides to stand next to her husband and touches him gently on the back of one hand. Taurnil glances back, and their large violet eyes sparkle with unsaid words. Ric'lail has always asserted that no other living members of his family are known to possess psionic talent of any sort, but the way the two venerable elves seem to communicate without words almost seems to cast doubt upon that particular assertion. Lord Taurnil nods and steps forward.

"Forgive me. I pour too many words on tired ears, as our youngest often does. I regret to admit that he has inherited that tendency from me. Go, rest. Your company at tonight's meal will be a pleasure. Use anything you have need of, and do not hesitate to ask for more should you run short of anything. Until tonight, my guests."

The white-haired couple turns and glides away together without another word. They move with a grace and obvious unity that belies that physical distance between them. Something about the couple touches their human guests. Clearly, the two have spent many centuries together and share a bond that transcends their physical bodies. Ric'lail turns to regard his friends after casting a long look after his retreating parents. He grins nervously.

"Well. Now you have met my parents. Father seems quite pleased with all of you. And mother..."

Large violet eyes turn to regard Oliver curiously.

"...seems quite taken with you, Oliver of the clan. She rode with the horse nomads for some time in her youth. I have no doubt she will deeply enjoy speaking with you, and hearing of your plan to reunite your people."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Elsewhere in the city...

Spoiler
    Show

Andra walks up the stairs to her apartment. Is it even really hers, anymore? She hasn't lived here for five years, though she sent majority of her monthly stipend back to Dyana each month to help pay the rent. She reaches the door and pauses, uncertain if she should knock or just walk in. She still has the keys and all, but...

After a few moments of indecision, she settles on knocking loudly. For a few moments, there's no response, then she hears the sound of footsteps approaching the door. It swings open, revealing her little sister.

The two women stare at each other for a few seconds in silence, then Dyana nearly tackles Andra in a hug. "Andra! You didn't have to knock, you dummy, you live here!"

Andra grins, blinking back tears. "Didn't want to interrupt anything," she replies. "I wasn't sure if your... if Darrick was here."

Dyana steps back. "He is! We were just about to start making dinner, I can-- I'll set out another plate. Are you hungry? Do you want something to drink? I left your room the way it was, cleaned it so it wouldn't get dusty, but you can put your things down, if you want, maybe get changed..." She trails off, beaming. "Sorry. I'm rambling. It's just so good to see you again!"

"Dinner would be great," Andra replies. She follows her sister inside, noting all the changes to the apartment. Some new furniture, a new rug on the floor, different curtains.

"I can't believe it's been five years," Dyana says, guiding her sister to a chair and handing her a cup of water. "I don't-- I don't want to make you feel bad or anything, but... didn't you get leave time? I saw other soldiers around here sometimes, but you never..."

Andra looks down, frowning. "I got leave, sometimes, but usually I was at least a hundred miles away. Too far to get back home. And when I tried to come visit..." She trails off and shrugs, glancing at her arm. She's got the sleeves rolled down, covering the brand, and now that she's here she doesn't want to tell her sister.

"Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    As Andra steps into the living room while Dyana leaves for the kitchen, she notices a man sitting at the table - made for two - looking up at her. At first she doesn't recognize him, but quickly realises that it's Darrick, Dyana's boyfriend... well, husband-to-be! Andra still finds the idea that her little sister is getting married to this man a bit odd.

During the five years Andra's been gone, Darrick's face has grown weathered, making him look much older than his 27 summers. Life at sea does that to a man. The beard he's grown helps too.

Appearantly, he takes a moment to recognize Andra too, before getting up and approaching her. So, you're back, Andra, he greets her with a small nod to himself. He takes a deep, long look at her as there's a few seconds of uncomfortable silence between the two, disturbed only by the background noise of Dyana scaling fish. I suppose you've had a rough time during the war, he finally says. During all of this, Darrick's face continually wears a slight frown. Not exactly the warmest of welcomes, but knowing Darrick, it doesn't necessarily indicate hostility either.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2009-07-05 at 12:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

It's a wonderful evening at the Lureba'an estate. You all enjoy the stark contrast of the luxury compared to what you've been used to for the last few years. For some of you, it's the first time you've ever experienced accomodation of this quality. The food is excellent, but to the surprise of everyone - even Riclail - it is wonderfully fragrant, seasoned with exotic spices unknown to you. According to Taurnil these are imported from the southern kingdom of Methia. Those of you who know a little about geography have but heard of this far-away land, its hot climate, and foreign architecture. During the last year, Methian spices have become something of a fad amongst the wealthy in Port Elektra in food as well as perfumes. Alessė voices a minor complaint about some nobles who take this too far, overpowering food with strong spices - perhaps the elven palate is less sturdy than those of humans. The meal you are served is certainly subtle and elegant in its composition.

After dinner, you spend some time talking, telling the Lureba'ans about some of your more heroic deeds and generally relaxing with a glass of fine elven wine in the beautiful orchard. After enjoying the sunset together - it sets in the southwest, so the local stormclouds of the temple aren't in its way - you all find yourselves tired and go to sleep.

You all wake up fully rested. It's been a long time since you've slept in real beds. After a warm bath and a light breakfast it's time to start the day. It's still a few hours to the ceremony at Gideon Square, which is is the central part of Part Elektra, about a quarter of travel time away.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2009-07-05 at 05:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ric'lail Lureba'an

Celaer dances nervously for a few steps as Ric'lail passes the brush over his flanks. The press of the city's crowds streaming by just beyond the borders of the estate makes the large horse nervous. He's skittish at the best of times, and Ric'lail had never trained him to work in crowded areas. On the battlefield, crowded areas made for dead Psions, especially if Vachel or Veln didn't happen to appear in the nick of time.

I've always wondered how The Monk managed it for so long. Dancing around the battlefield as though there weren't massive men with pointed instruments swarming all around and trying to kill him. Crazy fellow. Made it through well enough, though.

So he did. Different strokes for different folks, and all that, eh? Maybe he knew something we didn't.

We knew enough. Or learned enough, at least. Now there's just this last public hooplah before I can get back to my work with the Lodge.

The elf shakes loose hair off his cloak and settles his mount with a gentle touch. It has been quite some time since the horse has had a proper brushing, and Ric'lail had decided to take the opportunity to comb out the burrs, tangles and snarls the animal's woolly coat had accumulated over the past months.

"Hold still, you lump. I'll be done soon enough and you can busy yourself in the orchards until we leave, eh? You're not such a bad horse, really. As moody as Andra on one of her bad days, but then she's not so bad either, really."

A last few licks with the brush and the grooming is complete, or at least as complete as Celaer is willing to stand for. Ric'lail gives the horse a slap on the rump to start him on his way and watches as the creature canters off to enjoy a few more hours of his well-earned vacation.

Now then...speaking of Andra, where is everyone else? The sun's been up for hours. Surely they don't find the estate that relaxing...

11. - Top - End - #101

Oliver

Not finding any comfort in the guest house, Oliver moves out into the manor grounds at some point during the night. The provided bed was just too soft and filled with some kind of bird feathers... Roaming about the pseudo-forest for a bit, he finds a tree to sit against and falls asleep.

In his dreams, Oliver sees a coiled snake in the ocean, wrapped around stone and lightning. A wasteland far away engulfed in fire as the moon rises over the corpse of a dead unicorn. This wakes Oliver up, but he soon goes back to sleep and dreams the forgettable things humans often dream.

With the sun already up when Oliver gets up, the sorcerer instinctively looks around for what the scavenging party has found for breakfast. Realizing that there would be no more scavenging, he goes to find some actual foodstuffs. Able to find some eggs, day-old bread, bacon, and some things to make them a little better, Oliver starts up a small cooking fire.

He cooks without paying much mind to Ric'lail grooming his horse. The breakfast is given a clan kicker. The eggs are tinted red with some raspberry and the bacon is covered in pepper. The bread is fried in the bacon grease until it is crispy and the other foods are stuffed in the middle of the bread chunks. Not thinking he could be the only one eating, several breakfast's worth of food is now ready for consumption. Oliver leaves it in the pot, ready for his comrades.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Veln

Veln wakes up early, still used to having guard duty in the early hours of day. He scavenges the manor for something edible and eventually goes outside, finding a secluded place amongst the trees. He sits there for some time, staring at the fresh morning's sky and softly singing children's songs to himself. Back home...

After some time the smell of more food catches Veln's senses and he rises again, stepping out of the trees to greet Oliver and Ric'lail. "G'morning, I hope there's still some left for me?" With that he picks up some pieces of bread and starts eating. "Can't have enough breakfasts, hah."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show

"Rough time would be putting it mildly," Andra replies. Another few moments pass in uncomfortable silence, then she stands and gestures at the hall. "I'm going to put my things down, get cleaned up before dinner," she says.

She hides out in her room, listening to the faint conversation between Darrick and Dyana, until her sister calls her for dinner. The conversation is mostly about the war, a subject Andra is rather weary of, but she doesn't have the heart to turn down her sister's questions.

"That sounds like quite an interesting group," Dyana says after Andra describes her companions. "Ever tell them anything about me?"

"My sister's getting married, Vachel! I just wanted to get out of her so she didn't have to wait on me. And you dragged me back here."

Andra shakes her head slightly, to clear it. "A bit," she replies. "We didn't talk about our families much... reminded us all too much of home, and how much we missed it."

As she talks, Andra reaches up to brush a stray lock of hair off her face. Her sleeve falls open slightly, revealing the brand on her arm. "What's that?" Dyana asks. Andra pulls her arm back, but Dyana's quick enough to grab it and look at the old burns. "Oh, gods, Andra, what happened?"

Andra sighs. "I tried to come home," she says quietly. "After I got your letter, saying you were engaged. You said you were going to wait for me to come home before you got married. I didn't want to make you wait." She glances back and forth between Dyana and Darrick; Dyana looks practically on the verge of tears, while Darrick is a bit harder to read.

"Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thirsk wakes up on the floor. In the hall. With a bottle in his hand. His mouth tasted like his boots, and his tongue had the same consistency. He rolls over and winces, wondering where he'd got the bottle of...

He holds the bottle to his eyes and looks at it through bloodshot eyes. The light burns as he reads 'Whiskey'. He should either blame Veln or apologize for leaving the property to seek some alcohol.

He hoped that was the only thing he'd have to apologize for.

Getting to his feet was a slow, painful process, but it came with the reward of a spinning headache and overwhelming nausea. A hangover wasn't enough to stop him, though, and he forced through the creaking world to the source of delicious breakfast smells.

Without speaking, he sits down and helps himself to some breakfast, placing the bottle of whiskey on the table as both a message and a warning against inquiry.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vachel

Vachel, like Thirsk, has a blinding headache, but his doesn't come from drink. That damnable mule had run amok outside, and after 3 kicks, 5 flying tackles, a bite, and an absurd episode wherein the paladin and the mule engaged in a very one-sided headbutting contest on slick mud, Vachel finally secured James to a post with some chain with only minor cosmetic damage to the grounds and passed out next to him.

James woke him up in the middle of the night by licking him, of all things.

Not a good start to the day when James is being nice. It means he's plotting something...

After his bath, Vachel sits down and waits for everyone else to serve themselves so that he can take all of the leftovers. His appetite had caused some problems before... but it's not as if the squad couldn't live off the land if they wanted to! It's not his fault he needs all that food!

As he obliterates his portion, he mumbles through the delicious food "Reec, do you mind if Jhames stays here until zhe end of zhe festival?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Marillion-
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Vachel has found his way to the outdoor breakfast, since he's addressing Ric'lail. Hope I'm not misreading. I'll edit it if I am.

Ric'lail

With Caelar's grooming finished, the scent of bacon finally catches the attenion of Ric'lail's one-track mind. From that point it doesn't take him long to wander through the small grove to where some of his comrades are gathering. He dithers for a moment before sweeping in to filch some of the leftover bacon.

Mmmmf. Who knew strips of pork fried in their own fat could be so delectable? Oliver does have a way with these things.

He pauses to lick his fingers impolitely, privately glad that only his close friends are present to witness the display. Eventually he is satisfied with the (relative) cleanliness of his digits and folds his hands back into his voluminous sleeves.

"My thanks, Oliver. I broke my fast when I rose, but this smelled so good I couldn't leave it all to Vachel. And speaking of you, Vachel, of course you can leave James here. Why is he tethered, by the way? Did the two of you...have an incident last night? I myself slept very well. My study was dusty, but I did miss it. I trust that all of you had everything you needed?"

He looks around absently as he awaits their responses.

"Where, ah...is Malcolm?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Veln

"Thirsk? Ah, I had some leftovers from a couple of days ago, so I thought I'd make him happy with 'em. Give me a second, I think I saw him on the floor inside." Veln walks inside and starts looking for Thirsk. When he finds him in the kitchen he sits down in front of him and takes the bottle away. "Probably best for all of us if I take this. Sarge? C'mon, everyone else is outside, might as well get some fresh air before the ceremony." He drags Thirsk up and outside.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Veln..." Thirsk forces the word through sandpaper lips. "'m hungry. And hungover. Bloody whiskey. Was this yours?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Veln

Thanks the gods, he doesn't remember. "Yes, yes it was. Guess you forgot to give it back after we heard about the truce, but that's ok. Now, on your feet, there's food outside, and I'll get you some water too." Veln helps Thirsk outside and fills his waterskin with fresh water from the stream, then hands it back to him.
    Last edited by mr. Tentacles; 2009-07-07 at 11:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ric'lail

Oh, my. Already?

What do you mean 'already?' You know how he is anytime we're not in immediate danger of being skewered.

Yes, but elven wine...? He must have depleted half our cellar stocks to be looking so...thrashed.

The elf's wide eyes and neutral expression broadcast his surprise clearly. He most certainly believes himself to he hiding his emotions admirably, but of all the surviving members of the depleted military cadre, he has always been the easiest to read.

"Good...morning, Malcolm. Did you, ah...enjoy the guesthouse?"

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

"This morning hurts. Bloody whiskey," Thirsk manages. He picks at the bread and food, then processes Ric'lail's sentence. "Subtle, Ric'lail. Yes, I got drunk last night and yes, this morning I'm paying for it. Is there something... something wrong with a 'returning Hero' enjoying himself? Now, I'm assuming I didn't do anything embarrassing, so I'd just like to have some breakfast and sober up for... for the ceremony later."

Eyes cast down, he continues to eat. He's only a peace-time drinker, that's what he tells himself, but this time he knows it's different. And he is, if he's really honest with himself, terrified about how low he could sink. He almost hoped that those Maltirians would declare war again.

22. - Top - End - #112

Oliver

Finishing the last bit of his fried breakfast, Oliver watches as Thirsk is lead to the pot. Still a little slugish from sleeping in and seeing the others in mostly a similar state, he gets up and rummages slowly around his pouch for a root. Crushing it while saying a few non-words in a draconic accent, small staticy lightning bolts hit everyone nearby. Now everything was speeding up to usual speed, except for possibly Thres and Ric'lail, hasted without really needing it. One of Oliver's more recent tricks, the last time he used it was during a long march out in the middle of nowhere.

"Go easy on that stuff, it's pretty fatty. I can't do anything to prevent you from throwing it up. You know the rules, I only cook breakfast once."
    Oliver remarks to the hungover Thrisk.

Without further remark, Oliver goes over to where he kept his riding gear and saddles Starwill for the day.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ric'lail

Ric'lail blinks several times. He hadn't expected that sort of response; surely Thirsk wasn't offended? Probably not. He was gruff on occasion, but thick-skinned as a rule. The elf isn't entirely sure he'd know how to insult him even if he intended to.

Aha. Whisky. VELN'S whiskey. That explains it. Foul stuff. I don't know how Malcolm manages to channel sometimes, with everything he puts into his body.

Like I said, maybe these other folks know something we don't. That's why you're always trying to pay attention to them, anyway.

So it is.

He nods to himself and dusts his hands nervously.

"Right. Well then. Ah...Oliver's got the right idea, it looks like. It shouldn't be too long before we need to head out. I'm going to saddle Caelar, if I can drag him away from whatever he's wandered into. If anyone else would like a ride...?"

His thin shoulders rise in a half-shrug as he leaves the offer on the table and move away from the group. Caelar might not have been as much of a handful as James, but when that damnable animal wanted to make himself scarce...

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This seems like a good place for a time shift, bring Andra back into the plot.

"Don't worry about me, Oliver. There won't be any vomitous shennanigans."
    Last edited by Febreezium; 2009-07-10 at 12:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Darrick stares at Andra's tattoo with a stern look on his face. You've disgraced yourself!, he finally groans. And your sister too!, he adds is a lower voice while getting up to comfort Dyana by laying a hand on her shoulder. It doesn't seem to help her stream of tears much. He looks genuinely sad and upset to see her in this state.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show

"What's the more disgraceful: blithely going along with something you think is wrong, or standing up and trying to fight?" Andra snaps at Darrick. She glances at her sister. "I'm sorry, Dy. I'll leave you two alone." She abruptly stands and stalks to her room. It's too late for her to join the others at Ric'lail's house, much as she might prefer the company of her comrades to this. Andra flops down on the bed and stares up at the ceiling. Who would have thought, after years of hating the army and longing for home, that she'd find herself missing it so soon?

Quote of the Week:
    "Into dust?" - Owen

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

After the breakfast and a bit of relaxing, you decide it's time to leave for Gideon square. It's still a full hour to the ceremony, but it might get crowded there, so being early doesn't hurt. The worst thing that can happen is finding the time to see Port Elektra again by full daylight, something neither of you have experienced for a long time. And the weather is good. Somehow, the storm cloud of the temple is always conveniently well-behaved when major events or celebrations like this happens.

You gather what personal belongings you feel appropriate to wear at a military ceremony and thank your hosts for their hospitality. You all leave the premises of the Lureba’an Estate to find yourself in the streets of the Aristocrat’s Quarter. Waiting for you there is a familiar feminine figure. It is Andra.

Vachel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you get into the streets, you have an eerie feeling of being watched from the corner of your eye. However, when you look to see, nothing is there.

Andra:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've only been waiting for a few minutes, but during the whole time you've gotten the feeling of being observed. With your battle-trained eyes, you've managed to get the glimpse of a human figure hiding nearby. As the others get there, you finally get a full, good look at the man, a somewhat shabby human male. He is underdressed for this part of town (so is Andra, though), peeking out from behind a corner some eighty feet away. He looks like he's searching the group with his eyes. Right before slipping into hiding again, you barely notice him narrowing his eyes as he looks directly at Veln!

Ric'lail:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you leave the gate, your fine elven senses tell you that something is wrong. After scanning the surroundings, you notice a human male hiding around a distant corner, some eighty feet away or so. Clearly dirty looking and in with clothes uncummon in this district, you're sure he's not a native. He seems to examine all of you before he steps around the corner again.

Did you notice that he was looking directly at Veln most of the time?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Andra raises a hand in greeting at the sight of the men she'd spent the war working and living with. She looks tired, and considering how much she'd longed to come home, less happy than the men might expect. She's armed and armored, with Jasper sniffing around at her side.

As soon as Veln is close, she steps towards him, positioning herself between him and the last place she saw the watcher. "Someone's taking a bit of an interest in you," she murmurs, jerking her head over her shoulder. "Human male, shabbily dressed, staring right at you. He's been watching me ever since I got here." Years of working as a scout have clearly ingrained certain habits in Andra. She automatically glances at Thirsk for directions before realizing that he's not her commander anymore, and he's brutally hungover.

Quote of the Week:
    "Into dust?" - Owen

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ric'lail

Yes, I suppose he was, wasn't he? Go after him. Stay out of sight. Run across the rooftops where you can to save time. Float across the gaps where you have to so you don't lose him. Don't stray more than a mile...I want to maintain our link, but tail him as far as you are able before we lose contact.

Ric'lail reaches up to free the crystal from its setting, disguising the motion as wiping the sweat that was accumulating under his hood from his brow. He palms the crystal as he does so, and a faint but evocative scent fills the air for a fraction of a second. It stirs half-remembered memories in the small group surrounding him but is gone before the thoughts can surface, as it always is. All of them have come to recognize it as a sign that the elf has channeled a power of some sort. He drops the crystal to the ground once his hand has returned to the pommel of Caelar's saddle, and it lands with a soft, glassy ploing. It rights itself immediately, sprouts its six wispy ectoplasmic legs, and scampers off toward the building closest to where the observer had vanished.

Mechanics-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using 3 power points to manifest Psionic Levitate on the psicrystal (since I can target personal powers on the crystal if I choose.) The power is the same as levitate, except it's been amended in Complete Psionic to say that the target can also move forward and backward, rather than just up and down.

Crystal is taking 10 on all climb checks (giving it a 24 modifier) to scale buildings (saving itself with levitation if it somehow fails...) and crossing gaps with Levitate (lasts 60 minutes, moves 20 feet/round, same as climb speed).

Hide roll to stay out of sight:[roll0]

Without taking his eyes from the corner the man vanished around, the elf chimes in to Andra's conversation out of the side of his mouth.

"Yes, Veln, I saw him too. I dispatched my crystal to keep an eye on him. Certainly not someone who belongs in this quarter. Have any dirty, disheveled friends who're eager to reconnect?"

He turns to Oliver without waiting for an answer. This is typical; his mind has sprung into ponder-plan-action mode, and when he's in this state it's normal behavior for him to skip from topic to topic a few steps behind his racing thoughts.

"Is your friend in the air this morning, Oliver? He can observe the whole crowd much better than my crystal. Better than mine sticks to the one mark while your avian comrade provides an overwatch for the rest of us."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thirsk seems to cheer up a certain amount, his drooping mouth and dishevelled face lifting slightly. "Bloody good idea, Ric'lail. I'd cast around some... other help... if it wouldn't bring too much attention on us. Keep..." Thirsk realized he was about to ask to be kept updated, then falls silent. He still seems more awake, though, and he looks around eagerly.